Contribute mechanic is stupid

Karimloo

This **** does not *********** work.

It doesn't stop players from afking and only ****s with certain ships and builds.

Sometimes I'm putting repair stations as a bomber and this red ******* text shows up and threatens to boot me.

This time I spent the match missile boating and since players were using their escape options on my double missiles they end up getting killed by a teammate.

The game has the *********** audacity to SPAM my screen with this ******** red text and then kick me while I was *********** dead.

Then the game locks me the **** out for 15 minutes.

How about you stop wasting everyones time and either remove the contribute **** or remove this entire mode. You obviously aren't capable of designing it properly.

It doesn't stop players from afking

It mostly does, actually. It's not a perfect system, as you have discovered.

Sometimes I'm putting repair stations as a bomber and this red ******* text shows up and threatens to boot me.

What it should do: Not flag you afk if your allies (not just you) are using your heals. What it does instead: doesn't respect this at all.

So what you should do is, occasionally poke your head out and shoot at things if you are in TDM. Heavy lasers can make this easier because they have a greater range. Note that your best contribution with a bomber isn't usually to hide in one spot though- you should be going out and shooting as well, and using your ability to "create a nest" to make a location that both you and allies can retreat to. This won't fully eliminate you get flagged AFK though.

This time I spent the match missile boating and since players were using their escape options on my double missiles they end up getting killed by a teammate.

Again, you have to either land a missile or a laser. Honestly, simply firing a missile should count, but it does not. Unlike the bomber case where the game has a legitimately hard time differentiating between a leech and a real player, simply firing a missile effects the game state, whether the player uses a missile break or not- and *obviously* a player firing a missile in not afk.

In any event, the workaround here is again to hit things with lasers sometimes, or even look for enemies who have used their breaks and try to shoot a missile at them.

The game has the *********** audacity to SPAM my screen with this ******** red text and then kick me while I was *********** dead.

So the order is: if you go non-contributing the game will first warn you, then flag you non-contributing. This by itself only reduces your gain of requisition and such. Players have to actually manually click your name and flag you AFK before the game will do this. So in this case, your own teammates kicked you. Some players click people marked this way without considering if the player is actually helping or not, which is also unfortunate.

Then the game locks me the **** out for 15 minutes.

This is necessary because of abusers. However, obviously, you were not.

Your complaint is legit, especially in the missile case. Now that you know how it works, you can probably avoid most or all of these in the future. I wish I had a better answer than this workaround though.

You cannot be kicked if you don't want to be.

Respawning clears every kick vote your fellow players have put on you after the game marks you as doing no damage or objectives for X minutes.

However this is doubling down on your low-zero contribution in TDM as your suicide gives the enemy a free point :)

If the enemy is genuinely coming nowhere near you and your healing drone for you to get some seeker mine damage/blaster hits/missile locks/railgun drone snipes then you're hiding out the match :p

Also if in a double missile ship you need to shoot them while locking missiles :csw_blaster:

Edited by Gyronamics

Gonna just quote an old post because it's somehow still relevant:

It is actually impossible to abuse vote kick in GSF. Impossible. You can't be kicked if you're participating. You can not be kicked if you are participating. I have said this a hundred times and I'll say it a hundred more if it gets the point across.

Are you flagged? Then you're not participating! That's the game telling you that you are getting something fundamentally wrong and giving you a chance to fix it. Most players - myself included - are not going to kick someone the first time we see them flagged, and yes, we generally remember who gets flagged if it happens frequently.

If you're getting flagged in every game I see you in though, for most of the duration of a match? Yeah, I want you gone. It means that not only are you not helping, you're ignoring the message that lets you know that you're not helping. I can only assume it is intentional at that point, and I'm so grateful for a mechanism that allows us to kick people who intentionally try to throw games.

And make no mistake: if you ignore the message that tells you that you are not contributing, you are actively throwing. The game is telling you that you're getting something wrong. Instead of stubbornly insisting that it is the game that is wrong about how the game works, ask for help! Every server has a gsf channel you can join to ask for what you can do differently.

While it would be nice if they would let repairs count for participation, if you're so far away from the action that your mines and/or drones aren't getting any damage at all, odds are your repair drone isn't helping anyone either.

You have primary weapons (that is, blasters) on every single ship for a reason. Please try them out sometime.

• 1 month later...
Its called false positives, an AI works on algorithm its not a real person checking you play. You have to work within those algorithms, if they relax the rules, then you will be back here complaining too many bombers afking in the game and not contributing.

• 4 weeks later...

Just shoot someone every so often with your main laser and you are good to go. Thats it. Or put your mines near where enemy may go thru. Mine hits give participation. When bombers first came out and all you did was damage with your mines, you still got "non contributing", but they did fix that one eventually.

One shot is all it takes to clear non contributing. Well, I should say one shot along with one hit.