something needs to be done about the AFKs and suiciders

ever since the losses counted as one people have been suiciding and AFKing (Away From Keyboard) the GSF matches. it's not fair for the rest of the team to lose a match due to a single player just suiciding their ship and not actively participating in a match. something needs to be done. i'm SURE i'm not the only player that's sick of it. in a related note. please bring back the capital ship turrets to discourage enemy spawn camping. that in itself is poor sportsmanship.

I was in an 8v8 TDM match today, and we got hammered like 50-15. We had what I assume were 3 newbies who had zero kills and a few assists each, but judging by their stats were at least somewhat trying to fight. And three afk/suiciders who had zeros across the board (except deaths of course). Myself and one other person had all the kills.

I'm a mediocre GSF pilot at best, but even if I was godlike I can't imagine being able to cover for 3 suiciders.

Edited by jimbothirtytwo

It's mostly beginners who are "suiciding". So, if you are against that, you actually mean that you don't want any beginners in GSF -> prefer rather a closed circle of aces.

Not true. There are a number of people who suicide part of or the whole deathmatch and do 0 damage and it's quite obvious they aren't trying and are there only for the one point towards the weekly. It's fairly easy to tell who is trying (beginner or not) and who are not trying. Beginners might self-destruct a couple of times in a match when learning the maps but when you see the same person self-destructing over and over upon spawning it's very clear they are not trying.

I do agree that something more has to be done with self-destructors/afkers - especially in TDM matches.

Edited by Bar-Da-Voya

It's mostly beginners who are "suiciding". So, if you are against that, you actually mean that you don't want any beginners in GSF -> prefer rather a closed circle of aces.

If your statement was correct, then yes, we'd all prefer that.

But no one is complaining about well meaning players who just are bad man. This is about players who literally do not play, or simply repeatedly crash their ship into a wall deliberately to make the match end fast. These players are rare, and they are most definitely committing something that is account actionable, as you can't simply go and win trade in any game and not expect people to be mad.

Have I been absent from forums enough that your radar for "when is a player an elitist" is totally off the wall. Someone complaining about win trading, afk, and griefing is not an elitist complaint.

Y'know I'm surprised you're still around the GSF forum since it's never sounded like you actually enjoy the game mode. Surprised this is your take, too, because you've been playing for long enough to know better. Anyway, I'm going to just quote a relevant post of mine because I can't be bothered to write the same points yet again.

[...]

I don't kick people who are learning. It's pretty easy to tell the difference.

Let's look at an example (names removed so as to avoid getting a warn for "name and shame" because that's not the point here):

https://i.imgur.com/HDXetzY.png

Okay, so, in this example, you've got players at pretty much every skill level. But only one leech/SDer, and they're easy to spot: 0 kills, 1 assists, 17(!) deaths. 650 damage, and most tellingly: 0% accuracy. This player spawns in, drifts forward in a bomber while dropping mines and drones along the way, and may or may not boost into a wall. Judging from some of the timestamps, there was a lot of boosting into walls:

https://i.imgur.com/Fi3Ywoe.png

I missed a few, but those are most of this player's deaths in the game. Again, censored so you can't see the player name but you can tell it's the same player. There's no way you self destruct that much unless you're doing it on purpose.

Let's compare with the players who had a similarly poor performance.

11 deaths player had a bad game, but they still had 2 kills and 2 assists with 10.7k damage and 36% accuracy. That's pretty solid accuracy, actually! They were trying, but probably out of position all game. This is fine, and even if they got flagged (which they wouldn't with this performance) I wouldn't try to get anyone to kick them.

What about the next lowest damage player? 0 kills, 4 assists, 7 deaths. 4% accuracy. This is a player who was trying but isn't very good at hitting their targets. They were trying though, and again, the scoreboard tells the story.

Next lowest damage on my team? 0 kills, 6, assists, 4 deaths and 3292 damage with 5% accuracy. Similar to the player above: trying, but not very good yet. It's likely that neither this player or the previous one understands that you have to aim at the lead reticule when in range, but they can still manage to contribute.

I have more examples, if we need more.

You know what else is bad for a game, though? Ask yourself what happens if I wasn't in this game. Self-destructor's team doesn't stand even a tiny chance, in that case. As it was, even with me in it, it was a narrow win. Had I messed up or been a bit less lucky with RNG, that's a loss when it shouldn't have been.

Edited by DakhathKilrathi

I was in an 8v8 TDM match today, and we got hammered like 50-15. We had what I assume were 3 newbies who had zero kills and a few assists each, but judging by their stats were at least somewhat trying to fight. And three afk/suiciders who had zeros across the board (except deaths of course). Myself and one other person had all the kills.

I'm a mediocre GSF pilot at best, but even if I was godlike I can't imagine being able to cover for 3 suiciders.

Yeah, I was in a TDM recently where one jerk lost the game for us single-handedly by self-destructing 27 times, with zero kills, assists, and damage. Based on the leaderboard, we had 2 good players, 2 decent players, and 3 not-so-good players who were trying (I was one of those :) ). But none of our efforts mattered, thanks to the one self-destructor. It really was infuriating.

This was so blatant that I reported it, and I really hope BioWare takes some kind of action. I understand that they don't want to accidentally sanction new/bad players, but cases like this are about as obvious as you can get.

Edited by Hudlar

• 2 months later...

I'd say doing something about the rampant premades is more important than addressing AFKs. I dunno who this person is, but earlier tonight I kept getting matched against a superace named Debbie Creempuffs, who always seems to be paired with one Republic Aviator or Civilian Pilot, and these two absolutely crushed our team like vermin every time. I'm talking 50 to 6 TDM's and 1000 to 120 Dominations, the 120 being because we were finally able to take ONE satellite from them by brute force, otherwise it would've been 1000 to 8. It was bordering on plain unfair how stacked their team was compared to ours.

The teams need to be better balanced than this. It's not at all sporting that a game can be decided by "Oh, you're pitted against a four-man premade communicating on Discord? You lose. Leave now or die painfully."

Am I saying premades should be removed? No, but they should be balanced better, say, if two 4-man teams are queueing together, always put them on opposing teams to make it fair for both them and the rest of the players competing. Never put multiple premades on the same team.

Or, use a players battle record to decide what team they get placed on and then distribute the players based on how strong their teams collective stats are. I.E place weaker players on a team that is already relatively strong in high K/D players, or assign ace pilots in the queue to a team full of rookies to help shore up their effective strength.

Edited by Loadsamonie

• 2 weeks later...
I'd say doing something about the rampant premades is more important than addressing AFKs. I dunno who this person is, but earlier tonight I kept getting matched against a superace named Debbie Creempuffs, who always seems to be paired with one Republic Aviator or Civilian Pilot, and these two absolutely crushed our team like vermin every time. I'm talking 50 to 6 TDM's and 1000 to 120 Dominations, the 120 being because we were finally able to take ONE satellite from them by brute force, otherwise it would've been 1000 to 8. It was bordering on plain unfair how stacked their team was compared to ours.

The teams need to be better balanced than this. It's not at all sporting that a game can be decided by "Oh, you're pitted against a four-man premade communicating on Discord? You lose. Leave now or die painfully."

Am I saying premades should be removed? No, but they should be balanced better, say, if two 4-man teams are queueing together, always put them on opposing teams to make it fair for both them and the rest of the players competing. Never put multiple premades on the same team.

Or, use a players battle record to decide what team they get placed on and then distribute the players based on how strong their teams collective stats are. I.E place weaker players on a team that is already relatively strong in high K/D players, or assign ace pilots in the queue to a team full of rookies to help shore up their effective strength.

As a (former) daily GSF player for the last few years, I'm more disgusted with the AFK leeching behavior that has emerged this year than I am about premades.

Yes, premades can give an unfair advantage (I lost 50-0 in a match earlier today because of one), but some of the suggestions you made would go a long way in better balancing the teams.

However player attitudes isn't something I believe developers can address.

So as the 'something that should be done', I encourage players to press M the next time you are in a match and click on the non-contributing players name to kick them.

By doing this, we can both encourage more participation in matches and weed out the leeches.

Edited by Levanchar