Devs please help, explaining a couple unexplained GSF mechanics

Ruchalus

Hi Devs if you're reading. I need your help to learn mechanics of GSF that aren't explicitly written in the game in enough detail as it should be. At the moment I have 3 things I'm confused about, an option of a primary weapon that affects Accuracy Tracking Penalty, Sensor Focus Range, and Base Stat Bonuses for Ships.

First off, Tracking Accuracy on certain weapons say something like "-0.50% per degree, less 5.00%" which is the case for the Burst Laser Cannon. What does it mean by "Less 5%"? Does this mean the tracking penalty doesn't go over 5% lost accuracy total, is this the base amount of accuracy lost at all times? Please explain and maybe reword this.

Next is the Sensor Focus Range. As I understand it, this increases the sensor range of a small cone in the direction you're facing outside of your primary sphere shaped sensor range, but what is the angle degrees of the cone? 15°? 45°? 180°?

Last we have stat bonuses for the ships. I've been comparing ships but it seems like that with the same builds, Strike Fighters have a +15% primary weapon range increase, scouts have a base 10% evasion chance, bombers have a base 10% damage reduction, then it seems like gunships have a base 38% increased range on secondary weapons. For example, Proton Torpedo has a range of 10,000m on non-gunships while a gunship can have a 13,800m range on Proton Torpedoes. What are the base stat bonuses for each class of ship?

Oh and while I'm here I noticed a bug with the "Improved Kill Zone" passive gained from your Crew options. It says it adds 2 degrees to your firing arc but when applied to a weapon, the detailed tooltip says it adds 4 degrees.

Help me Devs, you're my only hope.

Edited by Ruchalus

First off, Tracking Accuracy on certain weapons say something like "-0.50% per degree, less 5.00%" which is the case for the Burst Laser Cannon. What does it mean by "Less 5%"? Does this mean the tracking penalty doesn't go over 5% lost accuracy total, is this the base amount of accuracy lost at all times? Please explain and maybe reword this.

This thread has a lot of useful information about tracking penalty,

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9948101&highlight=tracking+penalty#post9948101

but you might prefer a video explanation, here:

When a weapon's accuracy tooltip says

"-0.50% per degree, less 5.00%"

what that means is that your accuracy on that weapon is reduced by half a percent for every degree away from dead center, minus 5%. For example, if you are 10 degrees off center, your tracking penalty would be 0.5% x 10 degrees or 5%, minus 5%, or Zero, meaning no penalty to accuracy for being off center. For 30 degrees off center, your tracking penalty would be 0.5% x 30 degrees, which is 15%, minus 5%, for a final penalty to accuracy of 10%. These penalties mean that if, normally, you would have a 90% chance to hit your target, the tracking penalty reduces that accordingly. So a tracking penalty of 10% would reduce your accuracy to 80%, in this example.

Next is the Sensor Focus Range. As I understand it, this increases the sensor range of a small cone in the direction you're facing outside of your primary sphere shaped sensor range, but what is the angle degrees of the cone? 15°? 45°? 180°?

This thread will answer your questions on Sensor Focus Range and all your sensor minor component related questions.

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959219

According to the testing in that thread, the cone is 29 degrees.

Last we have stat bonuses for the ships. I've been comparing ships but it seems like that with the same builds, Strike Fighters have a +15% primary weapon range increase, scouts have a base 10% evasion chance, bombers have a base 10% damage reduction, then it seems like gunships have a base 38% increased range on secondary weapons. For example, Proton Torpedo has a range of 10,000m on non-gunships while a gunship can have a 13,800m range on Proton Torpedoes. What are the base stat bonuses for each class of ship?

Its probably somewhere in one of Drakkolich's posts or DakhathKilrathi's but in the meantime, you will also find it in the Game Update 5.5 patch notes:

https://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/10102017/game-update-5.5-united-forces-preparation

Oh and while I'm here I noticed a bug with the "Improved Kill Zone" passive gained from your Crew options. It says it adds 2 degrees to your firing arc but when applied to a weapon, the detailed tooltip says it adds 4 degrees.

Its 4 degrees total, 2 degrees on either side of dead center.

If you have additional questions

Overall, Despon's GSF School is pretty comprehensive and DakhathKilrathi's Guide is a more recent work in progress. For more detail you may find Drakkolich's Curated List of [his] Threads useful.