AFK in GSF Cracks Me Up

Mukaida

I hardly ever messed with GSF until around 6.0 and spent most of my time dieing, but getting used to the way the ships handled and understanding combat more. Personally I still enjoy GSF now either way win or lose, but the one thing I never did and still refuse to do no matter how bad the match is going is just AFK at the spawn point or way off in the distance avoiding combat. I know things happen in RL and you have to jump up and do something, I am not condemning anyone. If your guarding a station in a bomber or a gunship, then it makes sense your not going to get a lot of combat. I am just referring to the ones that come in and sit still, and those should be kicked.

Food for thought I guess. Happy Flying :D

Edited by Mukaida
Rethink and made more understandable

Please don't make problem or ideas or solutions that can make for all and especially new players much more problem in there learning process.

I get the message that i am not contributing when flying on Bomber and Gunship in TDM often enough and it isn't on purpose ( my aim isn't good ;)

And i also AFK for a while when something happens in RL not on purpose

I think we should live with such people or just use 'kick'? ( can i do it while flying or just at respawn time?)

Because no AFK detection system will be perfect and i don't want that some new players wanting to learn fell victim of such solutions

Please don't make problem or ideas or solutions that can make for all and especially new players much more problem in there learning process.

I get the message that i am not contributing when flying on Bomber and Gunship in TDM often enough and it isn't on purpose ( my aim isn't good ;)

I think we should live with such people or just use 'kick'? ( can i do it while flying or just at respawn time?)

Because no AFK detection system will be perfect and i don't want that some new players wanting to learn fell victim of such solutions

Post edited to reflect your comments. It was written at 1am and with one eye open =)

As far as "kicking" goes, I just now learned it was possible, although never found the time myself to do it.

The idea was not meant to create a problem, the problem is already there. I do agree though it would be hard which is why I mentioned it sounded good on paper, in reality, or virtual reality as it is, it would be hard to implement on an equal level for everyone. And if someone is learning they are either going to be dieing all the time or be a natural and kill everything in sight, so them being AFK is more than likely not going to happen.

It’s not about new players. Even if your aim is bad, you’re still flying and shooting. This post is meant for players who literally just sit AFK doing nothing. It’s the people who don’t even attempt to contribute that are the issue. Everyone starts out somewhere, and no one blames those players for their performance (usually).

Any solution to combat AFK players wouldn’t be designed to punish new players. Even if you’ve never played GSF, you can hit someone at least once, or fly in something that isn’t a straight line until you hit a rock.

To be frank, AFK players aren’t as big a problem as people who purposefully self destruct. Those people need to be outright banned.

If you don't earn at least one medal in a match you shouldn't get credit for the weekly.

Believe it or not, I actually suggested this a few weeks back. I thought it was a pretty good idea until today. Domination match, over half of our group just decided to camp C, and made 0 effort to grab A or B. C wasn't even being attacked by anyone almost the whole match, but they didn't care. They got their defense medals, while basically being afk the whole match. 2 of them had 0 damage the whole time, 1 had like 1200 damage and one had slightly over 3k.

So what I thought was a good idea, may need to be tweaked a bit, because it seems like a fairly simple get around that I never considered. At this point I don't even know what the answer is. Myself and two others pleaded with them to actually try and play, but **** people are going to be ****. I have no problem with people defending a point even if it doesn't get attacked someone needs to be there to stall and call out. Hell even 2 people is fine at times. However I do have a problem with half the team being there doing nothing, and refusing to help grab other points.

I suppose it might discourage people to do GSF if this change went through because they might end up in a death match, half of the time, and not medal, but honestly idk. I'm starting to think the pvp method of you lose you gain nothing makes more sense all of a sudden.

I have no problem with people defending a point even if it doesn't get attacked someone needs to be there to stall and call out. Hell even 2 people is fine at times. However I do have a problem with half the team being there doing nothing, and refusing to help grab other points.

I suppose it might discourage people to do GSF if this change went through because they might end up in a death match, half of the time, and not medal, but honestly idk. I'm starting to think the pvp method of you lose you gain nothing makes more sense all of a sudden.

This is pretty much what I had said in my original posting, and the bad would be that no one would even bother with GSF if they got nothing for participating and trying to help their team win when others on the same team did nothing but sit there. It's obvious the Devs are trying to promote group play, and that is fine and good, but there has to be some middle ground they can be implemented that will take care of individuals wanting to just AFK the match or just constantly fly into objects to speed up the match. What I had mentioned was the following:

1) You must either be taking damage ( from enemy players or turrets )

2) You must be giving damage ( to enemy players or turrets, mines...etc )

* If neither of these are happening then you will not receive any medals and therefore not get credit for the match even though others on your team will mainly because they fully participated in the match.

3) Defending - There is no defending of A B C, all are open for the taking at anytime during the match, if you want that node then you must participate in the match and earn it.

** When it comes to gunships and bombers, most of them will continue to move in order to get into position or keep from getting blown up, so them having to move throughout the match I do not see a problem with as they would still have to follow rules 1 & 2.**

4) Flying into any object 3 times in a row gets you removed from the match and are given a 30 minute lockout timer legacy wide.

5) Kicking individuals who are AFK - This to me can be a gray area. Anything can happen in RL at anytime, we all fall victim to it and 9.99/10 it is beyond our control and have no choice but to hop up and go. This is where I think a 30 second time out should happen where if they are idle for 30 seconds ( not following rules 1 & 2 ) it would automatically remove them from the match and another person would be able to take their place. The player would get no rewards but would not receive a lockout timer either and would able to queue again once they are back.

Again, all these sound good on paper, and the devs may or may have not thought of this. All we can do is express our concerns for the QoL in GSF and gameplay in the game and how things play out and hope our words are heard.

Happy Flying :D

Edited by Mukaida

3) Defending - There is no defending of A B C, all are open for the taking at anytime during the match, if you want that node then you must participate in the match and earn it.

Not sure I really follow this. Are you scrapping the domination game mode? Because that's a bold move, to remove a game mode that some people really like, especially when it's just 2 game modes already. If you're not, altering the game mode, then I really have no idea what you're talking about. Once a node is captured, it can be recaptured at any point in the game as well, and when that's about to happen, the defenders are participating in the match, and therefore no change is made, so I don't understand your suggestion.

Furthermore my problem with your previous points of you must attack or get hit. I understand what you're trying to accomplish, but it creates other problems. A very simple example, hyperspace beacons. If you die, your beacon goes with you, in fact all of your set ups do. Turrets, heal probes, etc they all go. So the people that have took the time to set up a proper tether location along with other defenses should not be forced to go and get into a fight just to not get kicked, or get no rewards. Bombers have horrible mobility, long cooldowns for their turrets and abilities, and are not the ships to use to go and engage an enemy somewhere. All you're doing is making that ship obsolete, when it in fact they play a vital role in the game, when not controlled by **** heads.

Again I don't know what the answer is, I just know that as I understand it right now, your suggestion ain't it.

Not sure I really follow this. Are you scrapping the domination game mode? Because that's a bold move, to remove a game mode that some people really like, especially when it's just 2 game modes already.

All you're doing is making that ship obsolete, when it in fact they play a vital role in the game

I am just trying to suggest things that may or may not work. Not everyone is going to like them, but in the end they are just thoughts and opinions to try and combat the AFK / Leeching / purposely blowing yourself up to speed up the match in GSF.

Maybe just simplify all of it and vote kick the person(s) at fault. Ships, modes or anything of that nature are not affected. But that is going to get old real fast when more than half the team is sitting on a node for a match.

And if you take it back to where you only get something if you win, well then you kill GSF all over again. That's almost like running an entire operation and not getting anything at the end because you didn't get the killing blow on each boss.

Do I know what the answer is, of course not. But I do think or would like to see the devs jump in on this and take a look at it as a whole to see what can be done.

Happy Flying :D

Do I know what the answer is, of course not. But I do think or would like to see the devs jump in on this and take a look at it as a whole to see what can be done.

No, I get it. It's frustrating as hell, and the devs need to do something about it, I'm just not sure what at this point. Nothing I can think of is going to be full proof, as someone will find a work around. At best there might be small steps added to discourage some of this behavior but nothing I can think of that will stop a very determined PoS from ruining the game for others. And even something like a reporting system where multiple players can report a player for being a PoS, that can be abused against newer players as well (who are trying, but don't grasp the game mode) and that's not something I would want either.

That said, I've geared out all of my alts in 326 pvp gear, and I'm still playing GSF and having fun with it, because it's just enjoyable. So for some rewards are not necessary just to enjoy the game mode and wins or losses don't affect me anymore since my ships are maxed, and gear is no longer an issue. It's jus a pride thing of trying to win for me now. That said I realize it is for a lot of people this is not the case and they want the rewards or they won't do this, and if those are taken away the ques would be horribly long, and that's no bueno either.

To be frank, AFK players aren’t as big a problem as people who purposefully self destruct. Those people need to be outright banned.

I don't want to get banned because i sometimes press the "3" key in wrong time :D

Or forget how turning speed in some ships is very slow if you forget to hit the break :D

Hmm Does putting AFK/Suicide player on ignore list make him/her unable to be in your group?

Edited by Nebdar

I don't want to get banned because i sometimes press the "3" key in wrong time :D

Or forget how turning speed in some ships is very slow if you forget to hit the break :D

Hmm Does putting AFK/Suicide player on ignore list make him/her unable to be in your group?

you wont get banned for pressing the key at the wrong time. As long as it isnt 25 times.....lool

• 1 month later...