Cute mini-game. When do you expect to have it finished?

OpenSorce

You folks know the Hero engine supports native controller support, right?

I've been playing combat flight sims (space and aerial) for decades. Without controller support they are always doomed to fail (See: Freelancer, others).

Do us a favor and write a few lines of code. Make this very niche half finished side project into something that more than a handful of players actually WANT to play. It would be a lot better than those of us who irritate folks who actually like it by just fumbling through it for the tech frags.

well, how well have you done so far?

that mode has been out since December 2013.

they did one major overhaul on update 5.5

and thats pretty much been it

it isnt going to change, and if it does, it wont be a big change.

it is what it is.

Edited by philwil

some complaining about controller/joystick support

read the following please: https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=926753

if all you want is controller support then good news for you, such a thing exists already: pick up xpadder or the like and configure as necessary and hey there you go you have controller support.

mouse/keyboard is superior in every way, but it's something you could do right now if you wanted to.

Edited by DakhathKilrathi

• 1 month later...
read the following please: https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=926753

if all you want is controller support then good news for you, such a thing exists already: pick up xpadder or the like and configure as necessary and hey there you go you have controller support.

mouse/keyboard is superior in every way, but it's something you could do right now if you wanted to.

Lol you don't think I've tried Xplodder? Steam? Joytokey? ALL of that crap? It's clunky garbage that a few lines of code would fix. Just need the devs to spend 20 minutes putting it in there. Or... they could send me the code, I'll fix it and make a native Linux client! No charge :-)

Edited by OpenSorce
Removing ugly parts.

Side note: You thinking that a mouse and keyboard are somehow superior to HOTAS in a flight combat sim says a LOT

no, what i said is that mouse and keyboard is superior in every way to the implementation you could get through the route i suggested, which you yourself said is true:

Lol you don't think I've tried Xplodder? Steam? Joytokey? ALL of that crap? It's clunky garbage

but thanks for playing i guess

Did you even read what I linked up there? It's going to be more than "a few lines of code" to implement in a way that isn't bad. You can have the bad implementation now, but you don't like it. That's fair but don't pretend they're going to spend that much money or dev time on an entirely new control scheme for a minigame that only a fraction of the player base touches regularly.

Yes, I read it. Non-coders talking about the difficulties of coding native hardware support into software that has built in compatibility does not interest me.

I'm not talking about giving the entire game controller support. That would be silly. I'm talking about giving this laughable mini-game imitation of flight combat simulation a chance to not suck quite so badly. They could code it into GSF only. It wouldn't even be that difficult. A small team could do it in a weekend.

Edited by OpenSorce

You cannot say that this game‘a version of the Hero engine has native hardware support for controllers because this game has, by the Devs own statements, a customized alpha version of Hero that is at least 11 years old and probably more.

You also cannot say that a “team could do it in a weekend,” because it took them five months EXTRA to fix weapons in outfit designer, a feature they had supposedly been working on before the livestream in 2021 announcing the expansion and highlighting it as a launch feature.

I don’t have to be a coder to understand the implications of these facts. And, since joystick support was extensively discussed by players in the feedback threads leading up to 5.5, it’s clear the development team lacked resources or desire or both to implement it then.

Besides, you’ve already brought up the same argument in the other thread and you bring nothing new to the discussion except for assertions disproven by just the last few months of the game.

Yes, I read it.

Read it again. It's definitely for you and everyone who thinks like you.

Non-coders

lol

talking about the difficulties of coding native hardware support into software that has built in compatibility does not interest me.

SWTOR doesn't have built in compatibility with controllers, obviously. Does the variant HeroEngine that SWTOR is based on? Probably not. Does the actual HeroEngine? I have no idea, but given that it's meant to support mouse and keyboard MMO type games, I can't imagine it's very good support.

But lets pretend that HeroEngine has controller support, and that it's current. Do you think SWTOR uses that? Of course not. But lets pretend that HeroEngine has controller support and it's current and the older one SWTOR is based off of has that and it's current and all it takes is a tick box to enable it. Even in that case, they'd still need to actually *write the code to talk to that*, and then *maintain that code*, even if everything else worked. And that alone would be a moderate ask.

I'm not talking about giving the entire game controller support.

You'd need a bunch of controller GUIs to set the controller up, even if you imagine that the engine supports any of the current anything on this topic. That alone is a huge undertaking. I want you to notice the next time you have a PvP match, that it appears to say "DVD MATCH" because the lower portion of the letters are gone. Also note that everything is in all caps. The GUI rework, which is very much a mixed bag of good ideas and mediocre ones, is probably on the level of effort to just support a controller configuration tool like FFXIV has

That would be silly.

It actually wouldn't. There's a MUCH better case to adding controller support for the ground game than GSF, and that is that they could in theory, with enough money, launch it on console. That's absurd, of course, but you could make a case for it. FFXIV goesn't have anything like GSF, but it has full controller support. And it takes it seriously, and even it still has some issues from time to time supporting various controllers correctly.

I'm talking about giving this laughable mini-game imitation of flight combat simulation a chance to not suck quite so badly.

GSF is one of best parts of SWTOR, and it is solid af. If you really want to play a similar type of arcade sim with a controller, Star Conflict is still there, and you're still way better off with a mouse and keyboard. Also worth pointing out is that Squadrons did a pretty damned good job of actual HOTAS support- even though it still went through some effort to buff mouse+keyboard with a benefit that it didn't give to HOTAS.

Anyway, it would be an immense amount of effort to add controller support, and the game is fine without it. The gimballed guns, the way you control your ship- it's all stuff that SWTOR simply isn't about, really.

They could code it into GSF only. It wouldn't even be that difficult. A small team could do it in a weekend.

You've said a lot of silly stuff in a small space, but this is obviously why I had to reply. This is legit lol.

Right. That's what I said.

It doesn't matter and I don't care. That's the point of the sentence.

You are not contributing to this thread.

Yes, I am. Dakhath linked you a nice little thing that explains everything to you that I wrote years ago. That's my contribution. It explains everything you need to know. Read it again if you need.

Now, back to the subject at hand: Devs, take a weekend and give GSF controller support. Thanks!

The forums are for players to communicate with other players, you know that right?

Adding analog support to a game like this doesn't really make a lot of sense, as using a controller in Star Conflict will show you. Sure, it works, but as long as the game is, at the core designed for mouse and keyboard, complete with the mouse controlling a cursor that both steers the ship and gimbals the guns, it ain't gonna happen. In the meantime, you can use something that mounts a joystick to a mouse, if that's your thing. I bet you can get it working in a weekend, actually.

Also:

You folks know the Hero engine supports native controller support, right?

You started the thread with this. Do you even know if their modified (aka, it came from prerelease) HeroEngine even talks about controllers? HeroEngine was just getting around to adding just basic Windows controller support after SWTOR's release- hardly up to snuff for all the flight sticks you'd want for a flight sim, but again, possibly not even supported in the version that they use. In other words, I very much doubt their engine actually has any controller support, not even the XInput added after SWTOR launched. And again, if it does, it's obviously much more effort than just turning it on.

Also- I'd really appreciate it if you'd do a thing where you admit you aren't good at the game, but you think you would be if you could just use your xbox controller or whatever. If you do that, I can cross it out, and combined with "thinks he knows more about the code than the devs", "insults the playerbase", "predicts the doom of the entire game if his demands are not fulfilled immediately, and "thinks that a controller would be superior than a mouse+keyboard in a game with gimballed guns", I'll have a diagonal line on my bingo card.

before i start ignoring this thread i wanted to pop in one more time:

"a few lines of code" and "a weekend" are both hallmarks of someone who has no idea what they're talking about (at least, the way you've used them)

if you would like to be taken seriously in the future, consider dropping these from your vocabulary

verain's totally right but if you wanna keep shaking your fist and demanding a thing that won't happen you do you i guess have fun with that

Yeah, so I decided I didn't like the tone of my earlier responses. Although I stand by my statements that HOTAS should be enabled and would not take much work or time at all. Still there's no reason to talk down to the folks defending it's current state. My bad. Moving on...