You made almost perfect game mode.. and you broke it with gunships.

LukeSzymczak

I am only going to post once, to give my feedback.

The game was going well, until I discovered gunships.

How does that make sense to make ship that stays out of range/sight and can one shot you ? I understand if it served as support with some support damage, but this firepower ? And if you try to take it out then you have ten other ships gunning for you.

In deathmatch gunships dominate kills, and die the least. Doing ridiculous amounts of damage.

While other ships need to dogfight, avoid missiles, go through shields and fend off enemies, gunship just sit behind the lines and blow up ships. Where is the skill involved ?

Today asked person playing gunship with most kills, why he does it. He said he is not very well with starfighters.

So basically you made starship poping game for people with no skill, as if to ruin it for everyone else that invests time into developing flying and have some skill in that. Where is respect in that ?

I am only going to post once, to give my feedback.

The game was going well, until I discovered gunships.

How does that make sense to make ship that stays out of range/sight and can one shot you ? I understand if it served as support with some support damage, but this firepower ? And if you try to take it out then you have ten other ships gunning for you.

In deathmatch gunships dominate kills, and die the least. Doing ridiculous amounts of damage.

While other ships need to dogfight, avoid missiles, go through shields and fend off enemies, gunship just sit behind the lines and blow up ships. Where is the skill involved ?

Today asked person playing gunship with most kills, why he does it. He said he is not very well with starfighters.

So basically you made starship poping game for people with no skill, as if to ruin it for everyone else that invests time into developing flying and have some skill in that. Where is respect in that ?

Wanted to say a few things here:

1) To be an actual skilled gunship pilot is not easy. Good gunship pilots have to put in a lot of work to be good at it. It may seem easy to be a good gunship pilot, but it's probably one of the harder roles to do well.

2) Remember you have 5 ships to select from for a reason, and you can see the opposing team composition for a reason. If for example you're in an 8v8 and 4 of the enemy team are rocking gunships selecting a bomber as your ship of choice is an incredibly bad strategic choice.

3) Or more like 2b, make sure you're picking ships that have a purpose specific to you and your playstyle. Scouts absolutely wreck gunships. If gunships are your sticking point develop a counter to them by developing your own answer in a scout with burst lasers and rocket pods.

4) You are more than likely not getting one shot. You may not notice that you've already been hit and your shields are low, or you've already sustained damage. Or...you're getting attacked by multiple players and the rail shot is what finishes you off.

5) Learn how to fly defensively. Fly behind meteors as you approach a gunship. Don't give them a clear line of sight on you. Don't fly straight at them. Try to fly in a path that will get you behind them. Gunships lack the ability to get away.

6) Learn to identify where the biggest threat is in the battle. That's where you attack first. Don't get sucked into the fight that's going on in a gunship's kill zone. Pick and choose your targets wisely, and manage your resources so that you will be able to execute your plan of attack. Don't blindly fly forward and engage whatever is in front of you without knowing what else is out there.

7) Try to train yourself to quickly notice what your HUD is telling you. Tons of pilots, myself included at times, ignore things like your shields are toast, what effects you're ship is currently under. How much engine you have left. These things tell you whether you need to break off your attack and recharge and reload or if you can continue in the scrum.

Edited by Shwarzchild

Scouts are a Gunships worst nightmare, especially Lights/Pods. With Concentrated Fire (or Wingman) and Targeting Telemetry you can pop one before they even realize they're being fired on. They're not as durable as they used to be.

But you never, ever want to approach one from the front, especially if it has backup. Flank it from the sides and approach it from cover so it can't take shots at you, and only open up on it when you have a clear line of fire. Even if they escape, you've still deroosted them and forced them to reposition, which gives your team some respite.