Devs: Please help with guild perks

UlaVii

Please help long term active guilds as we're reaching the limits of the current Guild Commendation system that is used to purchase Guild Perks. If things don't change soon then it means guilds who have advanced several hundred levels will have to create new guilds and move everyone over so they can effectively reset the limits. We should be rewarded for encouraging so many people to play over all these years but instead we're being punished! :(

Guild Perks Info

Guild perks are a great way to enhance our guilds to better suit our members play style.

• Perks give bonuses to your guild like increased mount speed, running speed, renown and XP.
  • There are 6 perk slots.
  • Perks are split into 5 sets.
  • You need to use 4 perks of the same set to activate the Guild Perk Set Bonus.
  • Most expire after 4 weeks although some of the most desirable expire after 2.
  • As the guild levels up to 64 it gets access to a wider selection of perks. There's nothing new after 64.
  • The selection you can choose from rotates every 2 weeks.
  • Most perks require Guild Commendations and range in price from 30 to 60.

You earn Guild Commendations through two methods:

• Each Week Guild Reaches Conquest Yield
  • Small: 70 Guild Commendations
  • Medium: 80 Guild Commendations
  • Large: 90 Guild Commendations
  • Guild XP Level Up
  • You get 2 Guild XP for every Conquest point.
  • Once you earn 1m Guild XP you reach level 2.
  • Then it increases so you need an additional 1.1m for level 3, 1.2m for level 4 and so on.
  • For each level the guild advances it gets 5 Guild Commendations.
  • Every 10 levels it gets an extra 10 Guild Commendations.

There are two throttles built in to reduce the speed that guilds gain XP levels which made sense in 2018 when the perk system was added but both have reached a point where guilds that successfully reached the weekly Guild XP limit every week are now being restricted from using the perks system, even with careful planning and budgeting.

Throttle 1: Weekly Guild XP Cap

There is weekly cap of 10m Guild XP. Anything the guild earns above that is not counted.

Throttle 2: Required Guild XP For Each Level Keeps Increasing

The Guild XP required to reach the next level keeps increasing. Early on you can jump several Guild XP Levels within a week however by the time you reach 450 that drops down to just 1-2 levels a week.

Possible Solutions

• Stop increasing the points required for the next level after a guild reaches level 64.
  • Remove the weekly Guild XP cap.
  • Let guilds buy perks with credits.
  • Reward guilds with a perk price discount multiplier so you get 1/3 off when you reach level 100, 2/3 off at level 200 and you can pick them for free when you reach 300.
  • Reward guilds by adding a Guild Commendation multiplier so you reach levels 100-199 and get x2 the standard commendations, levels 200-299 is x3, level 300 is x4 and so on.
  • Give guilds a weekly/monthly Guild Commendation grant that scales with the guild level.
  • Let us convert Reinforcement Modules into Guild Commendations. Guilds have thousands of Reinforcement Modules but not enough commendations to buy perks that use them!

Edited by UlaVii

Here are the guild commendation values from the current cycle to better demonstrate the problem. We have three guilds with different focuses so every 2 weeks when perks are about to rotate I plan a different selection tailored for each guild.

Imp #1 - Focuses on CQ

• Commander II (Renown II) - 55
  • Conquest II - 35
  • Flashpoint Pro III - 55
  • Mount Improvements II - 52
  • Mount Speed Boost - 30
  • Operations Pro III - 55
  • Total: 282 Guild Commendations

Imp #2 - Focuses on raiding

• Mount Speed Boost - 30
  • Operations Bio II - Had 2 weeks left so didn't replace
  • Repairs II - 52
  • Sprinter I - 50
  • Total: 239 Guild Commendations

Rep - General focus

• Commander II - 55
  • Mount Speed Boost - 30
  • Sprinter I - 50
  • Warzone Valor III - 58
  • Total: 300 Guild Commendations

Each time we reach the conquest guild yield goal we get large:90/medium:80/small:70 guild commendations. So the most a guild can get in 2 weeks from that route is 180 guild commendations.

Each time a guild dings a new Guild XP Level it gets 5 guild commendations and every 10 levels we get an extra 10.

When a guild first starts leveling it can ding around 8 levels in a single week meaning 90 commendations for a two week perk cycle.

When a guild reaches level 200 it can ding 3 levels in a single week which drops the commendations to 30-40 for the two week cycle duration.

My guild has reached level 450 which means we can ding only 1 level each week so we get 10-20 per cycle.

At level 450 and in a two week perk cycle the most guild commendations we can earn are 150-200. To have a complete set of 6 and activate the 4 perk set bonus requires upwards of 280.

Edited by UlaVii

• Dev Post

Hi UlaVii,

The team is aware of this and will be looking into it. Please note that this does take time to investigate in order to find a suitable resolution, so to set expectations, a solve for this will not be able to be implemented in 7.0, however, I will provide updates when possible.

I don't really see the issue here, You get 90 commendations each week for doing large yield. That means every 4 weeks (when the perks reset), you'll get 360 commendations, and that's not even counting the commendations from leveling up. The most you said you needed to purchase all 6 perks was 300, so that should be more than enough to cover the cost.

One other thing to note: You're buying all the "top tier" perks (e.g. the "III" and "II" perks) when most often there are lower tier perks of the same type that require fewer or no commendations (just credits), so if you don't have the commendations, you can purchase the lower tier versions.

Honestly, this seems like a "working as intended" thing to me, because you SHOULDN'T be able to purchase all the top-tier perks, all the time. There should be a give and take of sometimes you take the best version of a perk, and other times you take the lower tier version.

Thanks Jackie, your post gives me hope. I will delay scuttling our two Imp guilds in favor of lower level ones for a bit longer. I will explain the situation to my guild members so they understand why they won't have the usual perks and alacrity set bonus for the holidays and see how it goes. I'll include your reply so they know something will be done to help soon. My immediate concern is to make sure they have a great time when patch 7.0 arrives so I'll further ration the perks I pick until then so I can pick nice ones for the launch.

Thanks again, have a good thanksgiving if you do that :)

Edited by UlaVii

I don't really see the issue here, You get 90 commendations each week for doing large yield. That means every 4 weeks (when the perks reset), you'll get 360 commendations.

The perk rotation is every 2 weeks. If you want to get the best/optimal use out of the system then you rotate the perks at that point.

There should be a give and take of sometimes you take the best version of a perk, and other times you take the lower tier version.

Some weeks we keep one or more of the 4 week perks, other times we have to replace them for a different perk due to the rotation. We've been using combinations of low and high value perks for a long time since around level 200.

One other thing to note: You're buying all the "top tier" perks (e.g. the "III" and "II" perks) when most often there are lower tier perks of the same type that require fewer or no commendations (just credits), so if you don't have the commendations, you can purchase the lower tier versions.

The top tier perks are almost half the price of the lower tiers. That's part of the reason they are desirable. For example Sprinter III costs 33 Guild Commendations vs Sprinter II which costs 52. The trade off is that III lasts for 2 weeks and II lasts for 4. Since about level 300 I've been looking ahead 2 cycles so I can plan things out with a longer term view to try and save some commendations.

Honestly, this seems like a "working as intended" thing to me, because you SHOULDN'T be able to purchase all the top-tier perks, all the time.

You are entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that making it increasingly difficult to purchase perks to the degree it has reached is not "working as intended". It becomes a punishment for active guilds.

The top tier perks are almost half the price of the lower tiers. That's part of the reason they are desirable. For example Sprinter III costs 33 Guild Commendations vs Sprinter II which costs 52. The trade off is that III lasts for 2 weeks and II lasts for 4. Since about level 300 I've been looking ahead 2 cycles so I can plan things out with a longer term view to try and save some commendations.

That calculates out to 66 commendations per 4 weeks for the tier 3 perks compared to 52 per 4 weeks for the tier 2 perks, so the tier 3 look to be more expensive by mathematics, instead of less.

Hi UlaVii, It would be more helpful if you tallied up the cost of your entire perk plan instead of one cycle. As you should be well aware most cycles aren't very busy, for example next cycle should be relatively activation-free for your guilds.

My "conquest-focused" perk plan requires 738 total commendations, and since there are 10 total weeks within the entire 5 cycles that means that if I choose to only go for small yields for planet conquering purposes, my guild needs to level 8 times within 10 weeks which as you say is within the range even at guild level 450+. That said I understand it's pretty tight, and you may need to invade a large yield more often than you'd want if your plan requires more commendations.

Please help long term active guilds as we're reaching the limits of the current Guild Commendation system that is used to purchase Guild Perks. If things don't change soon then it means guilds who have advanced several hundred levels will have to create new guilds and move everyone over so they can effectively reset the limits. We should be rewarded for encouraging so many people to play over all these years but instead we're being punished! :(

Guild Perks Info

Guild perks are a great way to enhance our guilds to better suit our members play style.

• Perks give bonuses to your guild like increased mount speed, running speed, renown and XP.
  • There are 6 perk slots.
  • Perks are split into 5 sets.
  • You need to use 4 perks of the same set to activate the Guild Perk Set Bonus.
  • Most expire after 4 weeks although some of the most desirable expire after 2.
  • As the guild levels up to 64 it gets access to a wider selection of perks. There's nothing new after 64.
  • The selection you can choose from rotates every 2 weeks.
  • Most perks require Guild Commendations and range in price from 30 to 60.

You earn Guild Commendations through two methods:

• Each Week Guild Reaches Conquest Yield
  • Small: 70 Guild Commendations
  • Medium: 80 Guild Commendations
  • Large: 90 Guild Commendations
  • Guild XP Level Up
  • You get 2 Guild XP for every Conquest point.
  • Once you earn 1m Guild XP you reach level 2.
  • Then it increases so you need an additional 1.1m for level 3, 1.2m for level 4 and so on.
  • For each level the guild advances it gets 5 Guild Commendations.
  • Every 10 levels it gets an extra 10 Guild Commendations.

There are two throttles built in to reduce the speed that guilds gain XP levels which made sense in 2018 when the perk system was added but both have reached a point where guilds that successfully reached the weekly Guild XP limit every week are now being restricted from using the perks system, even with careful planning and budgeting.

Throttle 1: Weekly Guild XP Cap

There is weekly cap of 10m Guild XP. Anything the guild earns above that is not counted.

Throttle 2: Required Guild XP For Each Level Keeps Increasing

The Guild XP required to reach the next level keeps increasing. Early on you can jump several Guild XP Levels within a week however by the time you reach 450 that drops down to just 1-2 levels a week.

Possible Solutions

• Remove the weekly Guild XP cap.
  • Let guilds buy perks with credits.
  • Reward guilds with a perk price discount multiplier so you get 1/3 off when you reach level 100, 2/3 off at level 200 and you can pick them for free when you reach 300.
  • Reward guilds by adding a Guild Commendation multiplier so you reach levels 100-199 and get x2 the standard commendations, levels 200-299 is x3, level 300 is x4 and so on.
  • Give guilds a weekly/monthly Guild Commendation grant that scales with the guild level.
  • Let us convert Reinforcement Modules into Guild Commendations. Guilds have thousands of Reinforcement Modules but not enough commendations to buy perks that use them!

" We should be rewarded for encouraging so many people to play over all these years but instead we're being punished! :( "

first of all,

lol youre not, there are larger communities that dont care how long some players play :rak_02:

second,

I agree partially, the guilds should not have to hit any cap for any levels, also levels dont matter anyway and most people are kinda happy about it.

But, there should be a larger gap, perhaps by the number of players in a guild. The more players a guild has, the larger the rewards is, that would solve the issue and not cause any problems between guilds. Why it is relevant if there is a old guild is beyond reasoning, there are some players who are in new guilds while those players themselves are since the beta version active.

Also newer communities or guilds that work together are meanwhile multiple times more active in the content activity rather than "large" guilds. Most large guilds do lazy rampages 24/7 instead of casually doing them, which is also something the game needs to fix to diversify the activities, it doesnt represent any quality of an "old" guild.

• 5 months later...
The team is aware of this and will be looking into it. Please note that this does take time to investigate in order to find a suitable resolution, so to set expectations, a solve for this will not be able to be implemented in 7.0, however, I will provide updates when possible.

Any progress on this? It's taken over 5 months to update a single equation. The simplest solution is to stop increasing the points required for the next level once a guild reaches level 64. There are no rewards for guilds past that level anyway. I provided several other possible solutions in the first post.

Edited by UlaVii

• 1 month later...
Hi UlaVii,

Now we've reached level 500 so we can only advance 1-2 levels each week which provides a very small amount of guild perk commendations. It's been 7 months since you said it would be looked into and patch 7.0 is out now. A guild surviving long enough to reach high levels is supposed to be a good thing but currently the game punishes us for it. Please can you do something to help. Thank you :)

Now we've reached level 500 so we can only advance 1-2 levels each week which provides a very small amount of guild perk commendations. It's been 7 months since you said it would be looked into and patch 7.0 is out now. A guild surviving long enough to reach high levels is supposed to be a good thing but currently the game punishes us for it. Please can you do something to help. Thank you :)

Worth Bioware's attention definitely.

(a list of valid complaints with a bunch of excellent suggestions)

Bro u nede to be moar hardcore when ur gild hits L200 start a 2nd gild w/ alts and switch ur mains over when it is 64

U nede to be gildmaxxing

Edited by Verain

• 4 weeks later...

Please tell us there is a plan to fix this in 7.1 which has not been passed on to us. I don't want to tell my guild mates that I can no longer provide them with constant guild perks due to the system not giving us enough guild coms to do so. We've hit experience cap every week and now that cap is too prohibitive. Please update us.

Hi UlaVii,

lol. You know it's a bad sign when they tell you to set expectations, when they hardly fix anything, or communicate anything, to begin with.

It's been 7 months since you said it would be looked into and patch 7.0 is out now.

Eight months now, or rather, from BW's perspective, it's only been eight months.:rak_01:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Dev Post

Hey players!

I'm here with an update on Guild Perks and Guild Leveling. As Jackie mentioned, we're aware of the issues caused by the current Guild System and are looking into it. Today's news is that 7.1 will include a small change to help this problem! We're going to continue evaluating the larger Guild Leveling and Guild Perks system but here's what you can expect with patch 7.1.

We are increasing the number of Guild Commendations given when a Guild meets their Conquest Target:

• Small Yield Rewards 80 (up from 70)
  • Medium Yield Rewards 90 (up from 80)
  • Large Yield Rewards 100 (up from 90)

With the opportunity to complete 4 Conquests in a month, this adjustment will provide some more Guild Commendations to those high level guilds wanting to stay active with their Perks. As mentioned, we'll continue to evaluate both these systems, but we hope this change makes it easier to keep your guildmates perked up!

Edited by CommunityTeam

That's nice, though it's intended to fix how old guilds get less points, it also means my guild perk plan can also now work on small yields, which is great for large guilds with a placeholder guild for alts.

I just wanna emphasize that I love the guild perk system and have spent many hours theory-crafting my favorite 10-week/5-cycle rotation guild perk plan. If you do end up changing it, I'd be happy to chime in and provide feedback.

Edited by Eli_Porter

Good for guilds that use them, I only ever really use the conquest perks so don't really need them myself. Anything to help others however id a good thing. However how about adding some new perks to the roster, after all many doors don't actually open up new perks such as the hanger bays.

Also how about offering up a new type of guild ship, More rooms, more options for perks. Could be you trade in the guild ship for a new one, Add a reasonable credit cost, but the new ship has doors open to the amount you had on the original ship. It would need more doors then the original though, Reason is mainly a new credit sink, plus something to use flag ship plans on once you have already opened all the doors. It also gives guild something new to work towards. A new ship would of cause be optional, not mandatory. Same way as you can change guild strongholds.