Main weapon, Missile Lock-on through objects, mines planted in objects

MasterAtin

Here's the rundown. I know for a split second you can maintain the missile lock-on sequence even after the target leaves the arc or breaks LOS with you. Its not any cheat or exploit, its just poor optimization of gameplay or you/other player not being exactly synced. And I am not the perfect player, I have good matches and bad matches. And some matches I slam into a rock like Ratts Tyerell.

Anyways, I am curious if anyone else has been pinged for the required time necessary for a missile to finally lock and fire while the only ship nearby, within 11,000 meters, is behind an object that should prevent any lock-on. Or if anyone is consistently shot and hit by another player through an object that should shield you.

I should mention another player claimed to have been shot at and hit through a satellite during the same match. But these are obviously claims.

What's your network latency? Once you get past about 750 ms weird things can happen, as the game isn't really set up to handle it. Sure, Pacific region players have, and do play with up to several seconds of latency, but it is a challenge when your client and the server have different ideas about what's going on in the game.

Mines and drones glitched into objects is a thing, though the devs do try to prevent it. If there's a specific glitchable object make a bug report and it's likely that someone will have a look at the collision box to inspect it for holes.

As a general rule with reasonable latency though, line of sight rules are very reliable in GSF.

What's your network latency? Once you get past about 750 ms weird things can happen, as the game isn't really set up to handle it. Sure, Pacific region players have, and do play with up to several seconds of latency, but it is a challenge when your client and the server have different ideas about what's going on in the game.

Mines and drones glitched into objects is a thing, though the devs do try to prevent it. If there's a specific glitchable object make a bug report and it's likely that someone will have a look at the collision box to inspect it for holes.

As a general rule with reasonable latency though, line of sight rules are very reliable in GSF.

Well, assuming my latency remains the same in GSF as it does with other gameplay like open world and whatnot, its usually between 95-110. I honestly don't ever recall and degraded connections while in GSF, but then again, different circumstances. I do occasionally encounter an enemy craft sporadically teleporting extremely short distances (no more than 200-300 meter increments), not any sort of cheat or exploit, likely a degraded connection, but that makes hitting/locking onto them near impossible.

Ok so here is what's happening. I play with a ping in the 30s on Malgus. On starforge I play with 95 at it's lowest, but even without spiking as such it moves around between 95 and 150. So not exactly all that different from what you are playing with. Now, at those numbers (which a lot of people wouldn't consider to be high) on Starforge strange things happen. I've said before it's not uncommon for me to be able to hit a target with a rail gun that is at 152/3k. In fact, it's common enough that I now in-cooperate it into my play on Starforge. That is to say I deliberately fire rail gun shots at targets out of range. knowing I have a decent chance of it still hitting. Also you need to keep in mind that the visual animations you see, are not what is actually happening. Drakolch has some very good videos about this. It is possible to fire lasers and missiles that "appear" to go through objects, but that is just the animation, not what actually happened. Of course the inexperienced player is going to claim otherwise, because of what they "saw." And note, this is possible when neither player is lagging at all. Go to Drak's channel and look up "explaining missile and laser animations." However when either you or your target / person targeting you is in fact lagging (more than 150 ping) then some very strange things can happen indeed. Don't forget the server is trying to sync both player's positions with what is really happening (the server) and if that sync falls out too much, it is literally entirely possible to finish locking someone as they go out of sight. I have both done and experienced it. There is nothing unusual here, and depending on what exactly happened, there is more than one possible explanation. Suffice to say, it isn't cheating. It's just the limitations of the game. Lastly, regarding your friend who claimed they got shot through a satellite - it could be any of the aforementioned, or it could be the Line of sight exploit. Again not cheating, but certainly bad form if you see someone using it. Sit extremely close to an object, and strafe in any direction, there is a point at which you can "see" your target, and you will be able to shoot them before they can "see" you. Again, its just a flaw in how the game is designed. Edited by Ttoilleekul

Ok so here is what's happening. I play with a ping in the 30s on Malgus. On starforge I play with 95 at it's lowest, but even without spiking as such it moves around between 95 and 150. So not exactly all that different from what you are playing with. Now, at those numbers (which a lot of people wouldn't consider to be high) on Starforge strange things happen. I've said before it's not uncommon for me to be able to hit a target with a rail gun that is at 152/3k. In fact, it's common enough that I now in-cooperate it into my play on Starforge. That is to say I deliberately fire rail gun shots at targets out of range. knowing I have a decent chance of it still hitting. Also you need to keep in mind that the visual animations you see, are not what is actually happening. Drakolch has some very good videos about this. It is possible to fire lasers and missiles that "appear" to go through objects, but that is just the animation, not what actually happened. Of course the inexperienced player is going to claim otherwise, because of what they "saw." And note, this is possible when neither player is lagging at all. Go to Drak's channel and look up "explaining missile and laser animations." However when either you or your target / person targeting you is in fact lagging (more than 150 ping) then some very strange things can happen indeed. Don't forget the server is trying to sync both player's positions with what is really happening (the server) and if that sync falls out too much, it is literally entirely possible to finish locking someone as they go out of sight. I have both done and experienced it. There is nothing unusual here, and depending on what exactly happened, there is more than one possible explanation. Suffice to say, it isn't cheating. It's just the limitations of the game. Lastly, regarding your friend who claimed they got shot through a satellite - it could be any of the aforementioned, or it could be the Line of sight exploit. Again not cheating, but certainly bad form if you see someone using it. Sit extremely close to an object, and strafe in any direction, there is a point at which you can "see" your target, and you will be able to shoot them before they can "see" you. Again, its just a flaw in how the game is designed.

I figured it was something like that , when I was shot through a rock, it was one of those times you mistakenly over extend, had to Gunships eyeing me, taking turns targeting me, Too much open space to escape, just a bad spot, and only that one rock.

saw the one gun ship shifting to get the angle, so I started shifting to keep the rock between me and the 2, I musta been slow to start the shift, the GS got me, while the rock still between us, in other words

due to the lag/latency, they could get a clear shot, but from my view they still didn't have it (shouldn't have had a clear shot).

it just brings a moment of frustration, when dealing with such latency

off topic part, the reason I didn't take a chance escaping, having the 2 gunships keeping an eye on me, kept them on the distraction , at least that was the thought behind it, and wasn't planned that way, just the situation I place myself in,

I was also waiting on the other 2 fighters that were making their way to them, so then either I sacrifice and be destroyed, allowing the other fighters to get in range to destroy them, or just distraction and not die, and possibly get to destroy one of them

• 3 weeks later...

You all are being too generous.

Still being locked on despite LOSing... desync?

Gunships shooting through objects... latency?

No.

My Flashfire will have none of that, nor will it tolerate such excuses.

Both Gunships and Strike Fighters need to learn that hacking is bad or else they will be taught a harsh lesson in PAIN.

Edited by ForfiniteStories

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
What's your network latency? Once you get past about 750 ms weird things can happen

750? At 160 ms, missiles are really hard to lock, you can keep the enemy target in the center of your screen, at 8k range, and the torpedo lock will break midway. Or you get the missile lock sound, release the missile and it won't launch.