More class story

Anuklosmos

The class stories were amazing, and I personally like to see and extended story for each class with the new content. The individual stories seem to add more to the game in my opinion.

It would be great, but i'm not sure how they could proceed to put pandora back in the box after the outlander stories. It's very hard to picture any char just slotting back in to normal (well, what was normal for them) life and contimue on. Hopefully with the new expansion, each class may have a few different scenes, or dialogues, but only time will tell :)

The class stories were amazing, and I personally like to see and extended story for each class with the new content. The individual stories seem to add more to the game in my opinion.

As much as I and quite a few others would love this, they completely butchered the chance to have individual class stories when they decided to lump everyone together into the same story. I miss having all my toons feel like individuals.

As much as I and quite a few others would love this, they completely butchered the chance to have individual class stories when they decided to lump everyone together into the same story. I miss having all my toons feel like individuals.

i doubt very much that was the intent. The individual storylines, voice actors, developers, storywriters and the like - all of it would of cost a lot of money, time and resources to do. Having one big storyline allows the game to keep going without a large chunk of resources and money used to do it with Charles Boyd and Ben Irving for a time as the leading front, of course Charles is still around but Ben was replaced with Bioware's own TIM; Keith Kanneg.

While Makeb, Rishi, Yavin 4 and Ziost proved to be good for the game, FE proved to be disappointing and ET was an attempt to recover from that but it met a fairly positive ending. I wouldn't say it was a complete disaster though. but i don't believe Bioware have the resources to try 8 storylines any more and i suspect even 4 seperate storylines would be a bit much.

:) Great Idea and many would really love this (me included) but ofcourse... No Money. S.O.R. with its class specific side mission I'd say would be the closest to class story we would see in the future. Considering the 250,000+ lines of dialog, Forbes estimated $200-300mil and a truck load of Voice Actors those class stories were a tremendous effort. I Do hope we see some class specific parts in future expansions (Like Onslaught) even a short bit would be good; especially after every class was *Homogenized in the Zakuul stories. Our class specific companions having relevant roles again would also (for me) give some importance to our chosen characters and class's.

I think that many would agree with your assessment. However, it is unfortunate that it is also correct that EA is simply not going to spend the additional cash to invest into the game. It was fun while it lasted... companions and all. But, reality is that those days are now slipping away from us.

I agree with you... I'd like to see those days return … IF it were possible.

I am glad that there are at least two storylines now. I think it was all about the money. 1-2 stories are a lot cheaper.

To be nitpicky, there is still only one story.

Vanilla: 8 stories all happening at roughly the same time. All 8 class stories co-existed. If you have one of every class you could say that each of your characters existed in the same universe at the same time.

RotHC: 2 stories that happened at the same time. Both Republic and Imperial stories co-existed.

SoR to the present: 1 story. Only one player character can possibly exist in that timeline (like many single player RPGs). You can switch to a different character but that character is the only player character that exists in their own timeline.

All BioWare did was let us make a decision of who to support in the story they've given us. What happens during the story may differ depending on who we choose to support but I highly doubt that we will ever be able to say that multiple player characters can exist at the same time like Vanilla or RotHC with completely separate stories.

One of my complaints is that they're forcing the story to return to Republic vs. Empire. I find that to be overdone. However, I'm glad they're at least able to give players that much of a choice. I also believe they lack the resources to do more than that or they would have. My only hope now is they find a way to allow us to truly switch factions - preferably by divorcing classes from faction and not requiring a class change. I'm really not a fan of this whole "saboteur" thing.

• 1 year later...
i doubt very much that was the intent. The individual storylines, voice actors, developers, storywriters and the like - all of it would of cost a lot of money, time and resources to do. Having one big storyline allows the game to keep going without a large chunk of resources and money used to do it with Charles Boyd and Ben Irving for a time as the leading front, of course Charles is still around but Ben was replaced with Bioware's own TIM; Keith Kanneg.

While Makeb, Rishi, Yavin 4 and Ziost proved to be good for the game, FE proved to be disappointing and ET was an attempt to recover from that but it met a fairly positive ending. I wouldn't say it was a complete disaster though. but i don't believe Bioware have the resources to try 8 storylines any more and i suspect even 4 seperate storylines would be a bit much.

Bioware and EA make over 300+ Million a year from this game, in addition to almost a billion in its hayday. The total cost to make and produce the original game with all independent stories was around 150 million.

If your telling me a company that has made almost 5 billion on this game since release can't afford to make the expansion just as good, Not only will I call you an idiot (No offense this would just be a statement of fact), but I'd say you were running PR Propaganda for Bioware EA. Financial records are public you know.

1. No, the problem is that Like every other AAA studio, once they make a quick buck and get a cash cow, they stop caring about the actual content or the players, or the quality. Because they know players are stupid, and will give them chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance....

Instead of speaking with their wallet and abandoning the game and hitting Bioware and EA where it hurts, and thus sending them a clear message that either you make a quality expansion, or go bankrupt.

2. They are also aware that every other AAA studio is also doing this, and that competitor wise, the entirety of the industry has nothing to offer but more of the same, and boredom and the star wars genre, if nothing else will keep a moderate amount of players coming and going. And the cash train rolling right along the tracks.

I'll be honest if there was ANYTHING even slightly similer that wasn't more of the same garbage, I'd blow this ******** in an instant. But there isn't because that's the scam and agreement between the Industry giants. Basically they agree to make different games, but make sure they are all "the same" quality wise. So that none of them will shut any of the others down.

It's a cash racket, nothing else.

No, Bioware and EA could easily afford to do whatever they wanted. But they like a fat bank account, rather then a happy fan base.

Edited by Darth-Malkaevian

Bioware and EA make over 300+ Million a year from this game, in addition to almost a billion in its hayday. The total cost to make and produce the original game with all independent stories was around 150 million.

If your telling me a company that has made almost 5 billion on this game since release can't afford to make the expansion just as good, Not only will I call you an idiot (No offense this would just be a statement of fact), but I'd say you were running PR Propaganda for Bioware EA. Financial records are public you know.

1. No, the problem is that Like every other AAA studio, once they make a quick buck and get a cash cow, they stop caring about the actual content or the players, or the quality. Because they know players are stupid, and will give them chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance....

Instead of speaking with their wallet and abandoning the game and hitting Bioware and EA where it hurts, and thus sending them a clear message that either you make a quality expansion, or go bankrupt.

2. They are also aware that every other AAA studio is also doing this, and that competitor wise, the entirety of the industry has nothing to offer but more of the same, and boredom and the star wars genre, if nothing else will keep a moderate amount of players coming and going. And the cash train rolling right along the tracks.

I'll be honest if there was ANYTHING even slightly similer that wasn't more of the same garbage, I'd blow this ******** in an instant. But there isn't because that's the scam and agreement between the Industry giants. Basically they agree to make different games, but make sure they are all "the same" quality wise. So that none of them will shut any of the others down.

No, Bioware and EA could easily afford to do whatever they wanted. But they like a fat bank account, rather then a happy fan base.

Unfortunately it's exactly this. They want to max $$ with as little effort as possible.

Galactic seasons is a prime example. It's the same content. Nothing new, just a few more rewards thrown on top. Half the content is companion gifts for the new companion lol .

Very grindy which also encourage some impatient people to also spend $$...EA sees this as WIN WIN.

You have no idea how many times the players have brought this up. But leave it to EA to not keep things going the way they start. I seriously want more class and companion story. Hell I would love to see character and companion have a child and that child get a completely unique story. I would like to see your own characters interacting with each other in the storylines. Like when you play a Jedi and encounter the emperors wrath. It should show your sith juggernaut. They could have done so much more and because EA has to micromanage, this is the outcome.

No idea where you are pulling your numbers from, but as of November 2019, SW:TOR had only 'earned nearly a billion dollars in its lifetime' which comes out to more along the lines of $120M per year. This sounds impressive, until you realize that this doesn't take expenses into account. Around launch, it was stated that the 'break even' point for subscription numbers was about 500,000, which probably puts the expenses somewhere around $72M - $90M per year (at that time at least), so net numbers are probably more along the lines of $30m - $50m per year.

On top of this, there is the question of Disney's cut: Licensing a property like Star Wars probably means a decent portion of that raw revenue money actually goes straight to the Mouse.

No idea where you are pulling your numbers from, but as of November 2019, SW:TOR had only 'earned nearly a billion dollars in its lifetime' which comes out to more along the lines of $120M per year. This sounds impressive, until you realize that this doesn't take expenses into account. Around launch, it was stated that the 'break even' point for subscription numbers was about 500,000, which probably puts the expenses somewhere around $72M - $90M per year (at that time at least), so net numbers are probably more along the lines of $30m - $50m per year.

On top of this, there is the question of Disney's cut: Licensing a property like Star Wars probably means a decent portion of that raw revenue money actually goes straight to the Mouse.

Game's original budget was around 200 million dollars as I recall, and even with expenses taken into account the fact the game has made a billion dollars is still impressive considering its shortcomings.

I agree with your statement mostly but there is 1 thing that you, that was wrong. "Instead of speaking with their wallet and abandoning the game and hitting Bioware and EA where it hurts, and thus sending them a clear message that either you make a quality expansion, or go bankrupt." The whole line is misguided as soon as swtor does not make them money EA will simply pull the plug on Bioware and call it a day. It is that way with just about any game out there as soon as they milked the games for every cent they can get they will just move on to something else. Hitting them where it hurts is really misleading and EA will probably never feel the sting of swtor being shutdown because of all the sports games EA makes money on. Bioware will feel it because right now outside of Dragon Age it is 1 of the last titles actually making them money sure they have Mass Effect but the last 2 Mass Effects were not really that good. It will pretty much kill Bioware flat out and EA will just move on to something else like it does not even phase them in the slightest. So you can keep preaching the whole hit them where it hurts line all day long but in reality the only reason swtor is still around is it is making money with very little effort from EA having to contribute any resources to.

Its pretty much the same thing with Activision and WoW. After Activision split from EA and bought Blizzard they really don't care about the player base unlike Blizzard does as soon as they stop seeing a profit they will pull the plug and move onto something else. Especially moving on from aging titles. Sure there is a few companies that are still going with games like Dcuo on with its what 3rd studio moved on from Sony Online Entertainment and the 1 before Daybreak, Everquest/2 are flukes at this point with how much they have aged and yet still around. SWG while on private servers is not actually around for live updates maybe for server maintenances but not actually for live retail market play.

At the end of Swtor they will be not be rebuilding Swtor probably for 20-30 yrs after its takedown at least. It is just the way the game is played with game devs.

Some changes that should be made are inserting new Companion comments; since if you bring Elara Dorne or Gault to Alderaan, they don't say anything.

Elara *does* say things on Alderaan, as does Gault, since both of them join your respective crew before you reach that planet in the relevant class story.

Of course, you have to go there as the original classes (respectively Trooper / Bounty Hunter) before going to KotFE.

It's more accurate to say that *no* "returned" or "cross-class recruited" companion says anything on pre-KotFE planets.

Elara *does* say things on Alderaan, as does Gault, since both of them join your respective crew before you reach that planet in the relevant class story.

Of course, you have to go there as the original classes (respectively Trooper / Bounty Hunter) before going to KotFE.

It's more accurate to say that *no* "returned" or "cross-class recruited" companion says anything on pre-KotFE planets.

There's where you're wrong, which is proven at 6:30 on this video: SWTOR: Bounty Hunter Companions ambient dialogue on a Youtube channel named Roksik.

There's where you're wrong, which is proven at 6:30 on this video: SWTOR: Bounty Hunter Companions ambient dialogue on a Youtube channel named Roksik.

Words. Use words. Explain so I don't have to go googling around youtube.

Or provide a GDMF link, for farble's sake. And use words anyway.

Edited by SteveTheCynic

Words. Use words. Explain so I don't have to go googling around youtube.

Or provide a GDMF link, for farble's sake. And use words anyway.

Words, they are a forgotten art.

One thing that must be kept in mind with regards to companion ambient dialogue is that it is random. Just because you go to coordinates X, Y with companion Z does not mean you will necessarily hear them speak line 1138.

With regards to the topic of the thread, individual class stories are done. That freighter jumped into hyperspace on an unknown trajectory on 20 December, 2011. The best that we can hope for are for small, one-off class specific missions such as what we get on Rishi.