Question about dark/light on new expansion

Wopr

If I have a Jedi that's 100% light side and then I switch the class using this new UI to my Sage class which is dark side. Can this be done? Have both factions light/dark on 1 toon? Thanks Edited by Wopr

If I understand your question correctly, then no you will not be able to instantly switch your 100% light side Jedi to a dark side Jedi. What you will be able to do is to accumulate dark side levels until you can switch to any of the Sith Combat Styles (Juggernaut, Marauder, Sorcerer or Assassin). Therefore you should be able to instantly switch to a Sith Combat Style with any of your existing Jedi characters that are already dark side.

While the specific process of doing that is not clear at this moment, I am convinced that this process is only optional, reversable and not forced upon you when you earn alignment levels of the opposite side.

Edited by Phazonfreak

I'm going to tack my question onto this one since I might switch alignment for some characters.

If I have a light side character who learns light side pets or mounts, will they still be able to use them if I switch them to dark side? I know they won't be able to continue using light side required armor or weapons, though I assume any that were put in outfit designer stamps will remain useable.

If I have a Jedi that's 100% light side and then I switch the class using this new UI to my Sage class which is dark side. Can this be done? Have both factions light/dark on 1 toon? Thanks

Sage is a *light* side style (it's a Jedi style). If you want a Sithy Sage-like style on your Jedi, you must crank your alignment down into the Dark zone and pick a Sorcerer style.

And you must keep your alignment in the Dark zone, but that's easier than you might think, since the points from the Alignment Toggle Knob Thing https://i.imgur.com/aMQdyc6.jpg will far outweigh anything you can accumulate by choosing Light options in conversations.

Your character will still play the Jedi story, but will use the Sorcerer abilities.

I'll try to explain it better sorry, also I understand that we may not know until way later down the road. If I have a level 75 Jedi guardian who is 100% light side alignment. So now the new expansion comes out and I want to play a Sage on my Jedi guardian level 75 so i switch with the new UI and select Sage which I'm going to be level 1 with right? Which means I can level up my sage either dark side or light side. If I pick dark side for my Sage will that affect my level 75 Jedi guardian alignment light side? So the question is on 1 toon can you have 1 class "Jedi guardian" light side and on the 2nd class "same toon" have my sage dark side. It looks like I can only have 1 side for all class specs on 1 character. What would be kind of cool and something maybe can be look at by the Dev team is if on that toon your alignment is in the middle could be call Gray alignment which means you can have a mix of light and dark side abilities. Not sure if that can even work out but its just a idea of how a player can have both sides of the force.

I'll try to explain it better sorry, also I understand that we may not know until way later down the road. If I have a level 75 Jedi guardian who is 100% light side alignment. So now the new expansion comes out and I want to play a Sage on my Jedi guardian level 75 so i switch with the new UI and select Sage which I'm going to be level 1 with right? Which means I can level up my sage either dark side or light side. If I pick dark side for my Sage will that affect my level 75 Jedi guardian alignment light side? So the question is on 1 toon can you have 1 class "Jedi guardian" light side and on the 2nd class "same toon" have my sage dark side.

This is not how Combat Styles will work. Combat Styles are basically just all the Advanced Classes differentiated between Force and Tech group. Guardian is a Force Advanced Class just like Sage is and there is no mixing between them. There will also not be different levels and alignments for different Combat Styles that you pick for your core class.

Following your example of a 100% light side lvl 75 Jedi Guardian. Your core class is Jedi Knight and you can pick all Jedi Combat Styles. Your level and alignment will remain exactly the same regardless of the Combat Style that you picked. In order to pick a Sith Combat Style, you will have to gain dark side alignment levels with your Jedi Knight until you unlocked it.

Edited by Phazonfreak

I might have this all wrong and totally on the wrong page. My understanding is with the new UI system you can switch from a class to a different class. I'm not saying Jedi Guardian shares Sage abilities what I'm saying is if I switch using the new UI system to Sage, I'm now playing Sage only. Even though my Jedi is level 75 and I now switch to my NEW class Sage which I'm assuming is level 1 because its a new class I just pick up will be able to level up not only its level but also its alignment. I could totally be wrong on this and have a wrong understanding which in advance I'm sorry.

Even though my Jedi is level 75 and I now switch to my NEW class Sage which I'm assuming is level 1 because its a new class I just pick up will be able to level up not only its level but also its alignment.

Like I said, you will not have a different level or alignment when you switch to the Sage Combat Style, because you will not switch your core class. All it changes are the Combat abilities that you use and nothing else, so you will not become a lvl 1 Sage. You will be a lvl 75 Jedi Knight using the Combat Style of a Sage. Your core class including level, alignment and story progression will always remain the same.

Edited by Phazonfreak

I think we need to start differentiating classes from story.

You don't have a "core" class. You have a combat style and a story.

This game, in essence, is basically dumping classes in the way that we have traditionally thought about them.

Now, you will choose a story. We can give these stories names to distinguish them, based on what happens in the story, or even maybe on the unique titles given by that story.

• Hero of Tython
  • Havok Squad
  • The Barsen'thor
  • Privateer
  • Cipher
  • The Wrath
  • The Hunter
  • Forcewalker

This is fixed and cannot be changed, once selected.

And then you have 16 combat styles, 8 of which you can switch between on any given character.

Force-based:

• Guardian
  • Sentinel
  • Shadow
  • Sage
  • Juggernaut
  • Marauder
  • Assassin
  • Sorcerer

Tech-based:

• Scoundrel
  • Gunslinger
  • Vanguard
  • Commando
  • Operative
  • Sniper
  • Powertech
  • Mercenary

This is not fixed and can be changed at any time during play (dark/light side restrictions for force-classes notwithstanding)

Your level, gear, story progression, etc will remain independent of those two things.

So your character could be, for example:

Level: 60

Story: Hero of Tython

Story stage: End of chapter 2.

Combat Style: Guardian

At this point, you could change your combat style to Sage. Your character would remain at level 60. You would still be playing the Hero of Tython story. And you would still be at the end of Chapter 2, about to head to Belsavis. You could do one mission on Belsavis and then decide you needed stealth for the next mission and switch to Shadow. If you wished to switch to Assassin, or any of the other DS-aligned force combat styles, you'll have to grind out the requisite DS Points (We don't know how this is going to work yet)

Or, you could be playing through the Hunter story, using the Commando combat style, so you can mow down Tarro Blood with an assault cannon. But for a given mission, you might decide that being a one-shot, one-kill sniper is more appropriate, so you can instantly switch to the sniper combat style, equip a sniper rifle, and away you go!

You don't "switch classes". There is no such thing as a class anymore. (Or there won't be, when the expansion drops). The developers could have decided that you gained individual levels in a combat style, but they chose not to.

Bear in mind, all of this post is my interpretation of the information that's been released so far. I could be completely incorrect. Only time will tell.

Edited by Raphael_diSanto

Thanks for breaking this down in a way I can understand it!!!! Awesome job! It make sense to me now. Thanks

This game, in essence, is basically dumping classes in the way that we have traditionally thought about them.

Now, you will choose a story. We can give these stories names to distinguish them, based on what happens in the story, or even maybe on the unique titles given by that story.

• Hero of Tython
  • Havok Squad
  • The Barsen'thor
  • Privateer
  • Cipher
  • The Wrath
  • The Hunter
  • Forcewalker

And then you have 16 combat styles, 8 of which you can switch between on any given character.

Force-based:

• Guardian
  • Sentinel
  • Shadow
  • Sage
  • Juggernaut
  • Marauder
  • Assassin
  • Sorcerer

Tech-based:

• Scoundrel
  • Gunslinger
  • Vanguard
  • Commando
  • Operative
  • Sniper
  • Powertech
  • Mercenary

This is not fixed and can be changed at any time during play (dark/light side restrictions for force-classes notwithstanding)

Your level, gear, story progression, etc will remain independent of those two things.

At this point, you could change your combat style to Sage. Your character would remain at level 60. You would still be playing the Hero of Tython story. And you would still be at the end of Chapter 2, about to head to Belsavis. You could do one mission on Belsavis and then decide you needed stealth for the next mission and switch to Shadow. If you wished to switch to Assassin, or any of the other DS-aligned force combat styles, you'll have to grind out the requisite DS Points (We don't know how this is going to work yet)

Or, you could be playing through the Hunter story, using the Commando combat style, so you can mow down Tarro Blood with an assault cannon. But for a given mission, you might decide that being a one-shot, one-kill sniper is more appropriate, so you can instantly switch to the sniper combat style, equip a sniper rifle, and away you go!

You don't "switch classes". There is no such thing as a class anymore. (Or there won't be, when the expansion drops). The developers could have decided that you gained individual levels in a combat style, but they chose not to.

Bear in mind, all of this post is my interpretation of the information that's been released so far. I could be completely incorrect. Only time will tell.

• Hero of Tython
  • Havok Squad
  • The Barsen'thor
  • Privateer
  • Cipher
  • The Wrath
  • The Hunter
  • Forcewalker

No idea why you would want to needlessly complicate the situation by creating new names when the story is still linked to the base classes that existed in the game at launch. It was several years until BioWare decided to make players choose their advanced class at character creation. However now that BioWare has decided to make more than two advanced classes available to each base class with 7.0 it has created confusion because people either don't know or forgot about the base classes in the game because everybody is used to picking their advanced class at character creation, obscuring the fact that the story is still tied to the base class. It doesn't matter if you pick Juggernaut or Marauder at character creation if the only thing you are concerned about is playing the Sith Warrior story.

Republic faction has four stories and each story has a choice of two different advanced classes:

• Jedi Knight (Hero of Tython) -> ADVANCED CLASSES: Jedi Guardian, Jedi Sentinel
  • Jedi Consular (The Barsen'thor) -> ADVANCED CLASSES: Jedi Sage, Jedi Shadow
  • Smuggler (Privateer) -> ADVANCED CLASSES: Gunslinger, Scoundrel
  • Trooper (Havoc Squad) -> ADVANCED CLASSES: Commando, Vanguard

Empire faction has four stories:

• Sith Warrior (The Wrath) -> ADVANCED CLASSES: Sith Juggernaut, Sith Marauder
  • Sith Inquisitor (Forcewalker) -> ADVANCED CLASSES: Sith Assassin, Sith Sorcerer
  • Imperial Agent (Cipher) -> ADVANCED CLASSES: Operative, Sniper
  • Bounty Hunter (The Hunter) -> ADVANCED CLASSES: Mercenary, Powertech

Force-based:

• Guardian
  • Sentinel
  • Shadow
  • Sage
  • Juggernaut
  • Marauder
  • Assassin
  • Sorcerer

Tech-based:

• Scoundrel
  • Gunslinger
  • Vanguard
  • Commando
  • Operative
  • Sniper
  • Powertech
  • Mercenary

As the post above said there is already names for the classes. Your break down combat styles is sooooooo wrong. Where are all the tanking, dps and healing spec? Have you even tried the PST to have a clue on what is coming in the expansion? No wonder there is so much hate for the change. Clueless people posting BS nonsense as if they understand what is going on.

Edited by Aelyns

As the post above said there is already names for the classes. Your break down combat styles is sooooooo wrong. Where are all the tanking, dps and healing spec?

Just like today the Disciplines ("spec") are linked to an Advanced Class (Gunnery requires Commando AC, for example), when 7.0 drops they will be linked to a Combat Style (Gunnery requires Commando CS, to repeat the example).

Why do I say that? Well, because nothing else makes sense. That's why.

In effect, Combat Styles will be a more flexible version of the thing that people have been asking for for ages, the ability to change their Advanced Class.

Have you even tried the PST to have a clue on what is coming in the expansion?

You've overlooked a key piece; there are *three* sets of changes coming that are relevant to this conversation:

* Changes in ability sets (some of these are on PTS now)

* Advanced-Class change (hiding in the name "Combat Styles", but not yet up)

* Loadouts (aka Build Templates, a way to quickly change spec (or Combat Style) without having to set up your quickbars and gear and ... manually).

These three things are independent of each other, except perhaps one aspect of Combat Styles requiring part of the ability set changes (what happens to the "base class" e.g. Trooper ability category?). They could introduce CS without Loadouts (that would invoke a major flame-fest, by the way), or they could release just Loadouts without either of the others, as a big help for people who bought the Field Respec perk.

@SteveTheCynic

I have no idea what you are talking about. You quote me but your responds have nothing to do with what I posted.

The post that I quote and was talking about wants to rename the classes with the new new system which is completely dumb and pointless. Not only that but it add so much confusion because 95% of the people know whether they are playing Jug or Mara that it's the Sith Warrior story. The 5% that say they don't are just lying. But just quickly mention it since the post above mine called this out.

The main part I quoted just listed off the the current AC as the new combat style which cuts out different combat styles like Tank, Heal and DPS spec. Is Juggernaut a tank (immortal) or DPS (Vengeance). For people that are looking for information about the upcoming change and reads that complete nonsense is going to get confused and mad.

I tried to do the PST but their current step is so bad I logged out. They created whole new temp system just for testing on PST. Which was a hit mess.

If I have a Jedi that's 100% light side and then I switch the class using this new UI to my Sage class which is dark side. Can this be done? Have both factions light/dark on 1 toon? Thanks

if you are cap light and turn into dark, you have to make your way to be neutral and then start the dark side lvl up.

basically need double work.

BUT .... you dont loose your light side tokens

BUT when you be dark, you cant use your light side tokens also.

Edited by Kissakias

The main part I quoted just listed off the the current AC as the new combat style which cuts out different combat styles like Tank, Heal and DPS spec. Is Juggernaut a tank (immortal) or DPS (Vengeance). For people that are looking for information about the upcoming change and reads that complete nonsense is going to get confused and mad.

The only nonsense is you trying to conflate specs and roles with combat styles. Different things have different names for a reason.

Advanced Class Juggernaut and Combat Style Juggernaut are the exact same thing, and have the same specs and roles available, so there's no reason for you to get confused and mad about how it works. They even have the same name.

The only real difference with combat styles is that any Jedi and Sith advanced class become available for any Jedi and Sith character, and the same for the non-force ones (barring alignment restrictions). Just to get the point across, there is no difference with tanking, healing or DPS for a given advanced class/combat style.