Feedback on Vanguard/Powertech (Tactics/Advanced Prototype)

fenrir-zs

Hello,

Here is my feedback/recommendation on the current state of VG/PT's. Any constructive discussion is more than welcome.

Discussion points:

Defense:

- The class overall feels that it's missing something at max level. I feel they are missing a defensive active cooldown that wouldn't impact the class balance a lot. Therefore I would like to propose to make "Decoy" baseline for both VG-Commando and PT- Merc. This way you could give a slight buff (absorb 2 attacks) and give a more complete feel to the VG and PT.

- The ability already exists, so it only needs to be added to the shared ability list.

Mobility

- Every melee class has a default mobility ability even before considering the skill tree (leap, speed,roll). VG/PT's only have harpoon (which has a 45 sec cd) and both "Storm/Charge" and "Hold the Line/Torque Boosters" are on the skill tree.

- I propose "Hold the Line/Torque Boosters" (6sec version) become baseline for VG/PT's, and the skill tree place be swapped for the "+4 sec duration".

- This way you can have a more meaningful choice at that skill tree level on whether you want to control (stun), a little survivability (healing), or more mobility. As it stands currently, the ability is so important that no one will choose the other 2 options in either PVE or PVP, so the choice is pretty much irrelevant.

- Making it baseline will keep the current mobility level and a more meaningful decision in the skill tree.

Animations

- This is more of a pet peeve of mine than a bigger issue, but as everything is being worked on, I thought I would bring it up: VG animations.

- Shooting: as it stands today the VG blaster rifle shoots: Hammer shot, High Impact Bolt, Tactical Surge, Cell Burst, Flak Shell, Ion Wave,Harpoon. This always felt awkward compared to its imp counterpart.

- Proposed solution: High Impact bolt and harpoon use the PT wrist-mounted gun animation. This way we can have a little variety with no huge overhaul. The animation already exists, colors are the same (physical attack, so no energy shot needs to be recolored) and could be swapped with little effort.

- Storm animation: speed up the animation. Playing both VG and PT I always noticed how sluggish the "Storm" animation looked compared to "Jet Charge". I wouldn't even mind if the "Jet Charge" animation is applied, instead of "Storm".

And overall that was it. VG/PT feels okay, just missing that little piece, but overall I like the new changes.

Really hope any of my inputs get seen and considered. Cheers!

Edited by fenrir-zs

I'm pretty sure the devs look through all the threads here but if you want your input to be seen, the best place to put it would be the official Vanguard feedback thread as it makes it easier for the devs to collect it.

I agree that mobility is an issue. No base mobility on a melee class is terrible design, no two ways about it. Either they should gain mobility baseline again, or receive big buffs to all their ability ranges.

In terms of defence I'd much rather see a buff to kolto overload as currently, standard level mobs can outdamage the rate that it heals as for some reason Mercs are still the only ones to get giga buffed defences. The whole press one defensive to slightly buff another defensive thing is not great imo.

You can get the emergency power shield on any spec now with the legendary item, so I don't think they really need an absorb on top of that.

Storm has always felt slower than jet charge, would be nice to see it get a small update.

The fact that the Vanguard actually uses their blaster is one of the reasons I prefer Vanguard animations to Powertech ones, though having one or two be a wrist ability (like high impact bolt) would be pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...