Asteroid one-sided tunnel exploit

Vandicus

There are a few -- they've been there for years.

Usually its just lazy or afk bombers in there -- I really hate it when folks use it to abuse the newer people though in gunships. The newer pilots often struggle with gunships out in the open, being essentially immune to anyone who doesn't know the "secret passage" is pretty lame.

It's a known issue for some, but other deny it...according to them there are no exploits in GSF :rolleyes:

If you see someone using it, you need to report it.

Stop twisting my words. I never denied the existence of those one way textures and I never called them anything but exploits. What I said is that exploits are not cheating in the same way using a hack is, which others agreed with. Particularly in GSF where it doesn't aid the win. So you can stop your one man campaign against me please, bringing this up every damned time someone mentions anything remotely related. Every comment you make, all you can ever do in this game is moan and whine like a little child. You could have left it, you could have just answered the guy's question and left it at that, but you just had to drag it back up again didn't you. Well sir, I am just putting your "signature slogan" into practice, and I will keep doing so. So you can keep making these snide little remarks, do not think for one second I am going to ignore it.

Edited by Ttoilleekul

Stop twisting my words. I never denied the existence of those one way textures and I never called them anything but exploits. What I said is that exploits are not cheating in the same way using a hack is, which others agreed with. Particularly in GSF where it doesn't aid the win. So you can stop your one man campaign against me please, bringing this up every damned time someone mentions anything remotely related. Every comment you make, all you can ever do in this game is moan and whine like a little child. You could have left it, you could have just answered the guy's question and left it at that, but you just had to drag it back up again didn't you. Well sir, I am just putting your "signature slogan" into practice, and I will keep doing so. So you can keep making these snide little remarks, do not think for one second I am going to ignore it.

I don't care what you ignore, or don't, you do seem very good at ignoring things you want to. You did claim it wasn't an exploit/cheat, and others have pointed out the very definition of exploit is using a cheat, etc. I did answer his question, and gave advice what to do. It's an exploit, and shouldn't be ignored by anyone, but as people have had the heads in the sands about it, it does no harm to remind others that it shouldn't be ignored.

You can play the victim all you want, it wasn't targeted at you, it was a reminder to BW that it is an exploit, and shouldn't be ignored. And it's all related, he's talking about a cheat/exploit, that is being ignored, so yes, I will bring it up every chance I get.

One way textures was covered too. Not cheating. Bad form yes, but its not cheating.

:rolleyes:

I believe Bioware considers terrain bug exploits to be exploits/cheating. At least they have in the past both in terms of sanctioning players and in fixing the terrain.

:cool:

An exploit is still cheating. Bioware have said so in ground pvp, so we should assume it’s the same for GSF.

Edited by DarkTergon

I don't care what you ignore, or don't, you do seem very good at ignoring things you want to. You did claim it wasn't an exploit/cheat, and others have pointed out the very definition of exploit is using a cheat, etc. I did answer his question, and gave advice what to do. It's an exploit, and shouldn't be ignored by anyone, but as people have had the heads in the sands about it, it does no harm to remind others that it shouldn't be ignored.

You can play the victim all you want, it wasn't targeted at you, it was a reminder to BW that it is an exploit, and shouldn't be ignored. And it's all related, he's talking about a cheat/exploit, that is being ignored, so yes, I will bring it up every chance I get.

:rolleyes:

And Sriia agreed with me when I said using those one way textures isn't cheating, but that doesn't mean its not an exploit. The reason being, those one way textures are not like other exploits in other modes of Swtor. Its not like some of the exploits in ground PVP. A one-way texture in GSF allows someone to sit inside it and literally do nothing. Not contributing to the game in any objective way whatsoever. You need to think beyond black and white pigeon hole categories of what constitutes a cheat and what doesn't. Yes, an exploit is a cheat by definition according to Bioware. But that one particular exploit is so ridiculously useless to anyone that it amounts to nothing more than bad form. You can't turn the tide of a game by using it. The only reason people go in there is because they suck and they can't stay alive any other way, so they resort to a one way texture to avoid dying. It doesn't help their team, in fact it hurts their team because its one man taken completely out of the action. This is most likely the reason Bioware have never bothered to fix it when they shut the game down at a moment's notice to fix other exploits elsewhere in the game. I made all that very clear. When I see a tick in a spot like that, I think its a good thing for my team. I destroy his nest, and now he is useless bomber stuck in hole. But you get so enraged about "cheaters!" that you have to come on here ranting about it, how Bioware won't fix it, and targeting me because I disagree with you. If you haven't noticed from the comments, other vets couldn't care less about tick bombers either, because they are easy to deal with and do not in anyway whatsoever turn the game into a win. Yes I would like to see it fixed, I just don't believe it requires the level of scream and shout you are putting into it. Its not on the same level as win trading. This is why I don't bother reporting it. Where as I report suiciders every time, because that effects the game out come.Yes, on paper its cheating. But in reality, its not, because its useless to any objective other than avoiding dying because you suck. So big deal, who cares. But you've taken one sentence out of context, ignoring the wealth of other things I said, to try and shame me because of your one man vendetta against me. And here we are debating it again, for literally no reason other than you want to keep smearing me. Now you're even admitting you're going to keep bringing it up every chance you get, even though the debate ended ages ago.

Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone.

Edited by Ttoilleekul

And Sriia agreed with me when I said using those one way textures isn't cheating, but that doesn't mean its not an exploit. The reason being, those one way textures are not like other exploits in other modes of Swtor. Its not like some of the exploits in ground PVP. A one-way texture in GSF allows someone to sit inside it and literally do nothing. Not contributing to the game in any objective way whatsoever. You need to think beyond black and white pigeon hole categories of what constitutes a cheat and what doesn't.

No, it allows someone to sit in there and target others who can't shoot them back, if all they did was sit there and not contribute, people could vote kick, but they don't go inactive, because they are shooting out, and hitting people.

And if BW think an exploit is a cheat, and a banning offence, why does your opinion trump theirs?

If this was an exploit in PvP, the forums would probably explode, we've already had lots threads about other cheats/exploits. And no PvP person would come on these forums and try to defend it.

When I see a tick in a spot like that, I think its a good thing for my team. I destroy his nest, and now he is useless bomber stuck in hole. But you get so enraged about "cheaters!" that you have to come on here ranting about it, how Bioware won't fix it, and targeting me because I disagree with you.

Except it's not a tick, it's someone hiding in a glitch, bad graphic, whatever you want to call it, someone who can't be targeted, but can still shoot out. Why hasn't BW fixed it, this is something we'd both like to know, maybe #JackieQ can enlighten us. As for personal attacks, YOU are they one to attack me, and put me in a position to have to defend myself, you are the one targeting me. ALL because I see a cheat/exploit while you don't, first time you hopped on my post, then you hopped on a different one, neither which targeted you. There was one post, which became more, because YOU had to target me, you've been screaming and shouting a lot more than me.

Yes I would like to see it fixed,

So it is broken, and it is an exploit.

Where as I report suiciders every time, because that effects the game out come.Yes, on paper its cheating.

Having an unkillable enemy can affect a game worse than someone suicide bombing. And again, you admit it;s cheating.

[so big deal, who cares.

And there is the issue, you don't care that it is an exploit or a cheat.

[so big deal, who cares. But you've taken one sentence out of context, ignoring the wealth of other things I said, to try and shame me because of your one man vendetta against me. And here we are debating it again, for literally no reason other than you want to keep smearing me. Now you're even admitting you're going to keep bringing it up every chance you get, even though the debate ended ages ago.

The debate hasn't ended,( the fact a different person started this thread shows that) and will never end till the issue is resolved, because people will keep using it, and keep causing issue. I haven't smeared anyone, I have said you are hiding your head in the sand when it comes to this, that's not smearing. NOT to mention, you are the one that keeps targeting me, I pay my sub, I play gsf, I have a right to complain about exploits I've seen. ALSO not to mention, I didn't bring it up, the op did, I just replied to his thread, when you decided to take umbrage with it again, and go on the attack.

Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone.

Exactly , but I'm not alone, others have seen it, and others have complained. Exploits in a game should never be accepted, not by anyone, especially if it effects a competitive game environment. At the end of the day, isn't that what most people want?

do we really gotta argue about this in yet another thread well here we go i guess

Known problem, very little effect on a game as long as you're not stupid enough to go die trying to get to them. Exploit? Yeah sure. I'm not sure I'd call it that since it requires no abuse of game mechanics to get in there; you literally just cram yourself into the space. I can see why you might, though.

Cheating? Eh.

Cheating implies that it helps you win, which it typically doesn't. There's one case where it could, I guess, but even then it's a bit of a stretch. I'd like to see it fixed, sure, but it's not like it's domination where it keeps you from taking objectives or anything.

If you see someone in there, ignore them and kill the team they're not helping. Report if you want; that can't hurt. But you're not going to lose just because some idiot is hiding doing nothing.

Edited by DakhathKilrathi

I’ve flown multiple matches with tick bombers using that exploit, and at no point has it ever prevented me from winning. Just don’t go near them. They literally can’t do anything to contribute except sit there and maybe screw up Tab targeting for gunships. It’s not a cheat, it doesn’t matter, and if anyone does it, they’re wasting time.

Seriously, if you were in a 1v1 with someone who’s in that asteroid crack, and there was no one else in the match, I guarantee you won’t lose that match unless you’re just really bad or dumb.

/snip

Ticking, as in explained in the other thread is hiding in an area, where you can bomb, etc, mostly used in dom, BUT people can still come around to the front of you hiding place, and shoot you, in fact plenty of people here have suggested strategies .

This is unfortunately NOT that, ticking is using cover to maximise your defence position.

This is someone using a cheat, glitch, or whatever you want to call it, to hide, and shoot out BUT the no one else can shoot back in, as there is no way to get in to that glitch.

Now, if the groups were all pro players, and knew the exploit, and left the 'loser' that has to resort to cheating wallow alone, that would be fine, as that would affect the outcome of the match, and they might in fact get kicked from AFK'ing. But most GSF players are new, and not that experienced, and are easy pickings for people like that, I've seen people using this trick, and end up high in the ranks, and their teams win.

Never once did I see any 'Pro' players explain to stay away, or help any of the new people in this situation.

So yes, it can affect matches.

I’ve flown multiple matches with tick bombers using that exploit, and at no point has it ever prevented me from winning. Just don’t go near them. They literally can’t do anything to contribute except sit there and maybe screw up Tab targeting for gunships. It’s not a cheat, it doesn’t matter, and if anyone does it, they’re wasting time.

Except when you're on a team with new players, who've no idea what's going on, and they run in to the meat grinder.

It's an exploit, they're exploiting the terrain to be un targetable , which is a cheat.

Seriously, if you were in a 1v1 with someone who’s in that asteroid crack, and there was no one else in the match, I guarantee you won’t lose that match unless you’re just really bad or dumb.

In a 1V1, you'd both stay away from each other, and not score points, so no one would win, it'd be a draw. unless someone does something to add a point.

Never once did I see any 'Pro' players explain to stay away, or help any of the new people in this situation.

So yes, it can affect matches.

I tell people to ignore it when I see it, but I don't think I've ever lost a game because they don't. I've definitely never seen anyone doing this net more than a couple of kills. That's why I say it really doesn't change the outcome of the game. Annoying, sure, but hardly game breaking.

Edited by DakhathKilrathi

I tell people to ignore it when I see it, but I don't think I've ever lost a game because they don't. I've definitely never seen anyone doing this net more than a couple of kills. That's why I say it really doesn't change the outcome of the game. Annoying, sure, but hardly game breaking.

I wish you were in the matches I was in...lol, as I said, no one gave any warnings out. Hopefully you're right, and it doesn't affect the games out come, but it's still something they should fix, in case someone improves on the exploit, and makes it even worse.

EDIT: I'll keep my eye out for it again, and see how they do

Edited by DarkTergon

I wish you were in the matches I was in...lol, as I said, no one gave any warnings out. Hopefully you're right, and it doesn't affect the games out come, but it's still something they should fix, in case someone improves on the exploit, and makes it even worse.

EDIT: I'll keep my eye out for it again, and see how they do

If multiple people are bad enough to sprint into that situation and die so many times that you lose the match, then you would lose that match regardless of what the enemy did. I’ve been on both sides of matches with obvious outcomes, and it usually comes down to one side just not having as many skilled pilots as the other. That’s why the tunnel exploit doesn’t matter to me.

I wouldn't know if I've ever encountered this. I don't want instructions on how to use it. I don't want a map showing where to find it. I am curious what people are actually seeing (or not seeing) here. Does this keep you from visually seeing the enemy? It sounds like you can't "target" the enemy, but can you still shoot it? I don't have to select someone as a target to actually shoot them. Do abilities that effect an area still effect them if they are within it's range?

I wouldn't know if I've ever encountered this. I don't want instructions on how to use it. I don't want a map showing where to find it. I am curious what people are actually seeing (or not seeing) here. Does this keep you from visually seeing the enemy? It sounds like you can't "target" the enemy, but can you still shoot it? I don't have to select someone as a target to actually shoot them. Do abilities that effect an area still effect them if they are within it's range?

All you see is a target that is hazed out. It looks the same as any target that is behind something. You can't shoot directly at them, but yes AOE weapons will still damage them. My normal trick, which quite often flushes them out, is to Ion spam his nest with Damage Overcharge. Ion with DO still does a tonne of damage. It will destroy his nest in 2-3 shots, but each of those shots will also leave him severely wounded. Assuming you still have targets close to him after taking out his nest, you can literally destroy him from Ion splash. So at this point most tick bombers move to another spot, at which point you can slug them. This trick only works when you have DO, because otherwise Ion splash won't do enough damage to him to make him move. But it will still clear his nest no problem.

Edited by Ttoilleekul

• 4 weeks later...

It's an exploit of a 1-way terrain object.

Sitting inside it, you are nigh-invulnerable because no one can shoot through the terrain to hit you. Inside, however, you have no such limitation and can shoot out at other players just fine. When an AFK Bomber does this, it's merely obnoxious and as many of the self-appointed "aces" of this forum trip over themselves to excuse, yes, it can generally be ignored with minimal (but not zero) impact on a deathmatch (there is little point in using this exploit on Domination).

When an experienced Gunship does it, however, it is what we here on the internet would generally refer to as cancerous. For reasons of gameplay integrity, I will not explain exactly how to do it to its maximum effectiveness, but when done with said maximum effectiveness it can absolutely shut down a deathmatch.

It is an exploit and a viciously abusable one at that, without equivocation or excuse. The fact that many players here do hem and haw and downplay it says an awful lot. I suspect some of them are just trying to temper the melodramatic frustrations of newbies who cry "hax!!!" at every annoying Damage Overcharged Heavy Laser hit or tedious railgun hit into a Distortion Field'd Scout, but it does the game and the community no benefit to do anything less than unequivocally condemn a rather nasty (albeit situational) exploit.

It's an exploit of a 1-way terrain object.

Sitting inside it, you are nigh-invulnerable because no one can shoot through the terrain to hit you. Inside, however, you have no such limitation and can shoot out at other players just fine. When an AFK Bomber does this, it's merely obnoxious and as many of the self-appointed "aces" of this forum trip over themselves to excuse, yes, it can generally be ignored with minimal (but not zero) impact on a deathmatch (there is little point in using this exploit on Domination).

When an experienced Gunship does it, however, it is what we here on the internet would generally refer to as cancerous. For reasons of gameplay integrity, I will not explain exactly how to do it to its maximum effectiveness, but when done with said maximum effectiveness it can absolutely shut down a deathmatch.

It is an exploit and a viciously abusable one at that, without equivocation or excuse. The fact that many players here do hem and haw and downplay it says an awful lot. I suspect some of them are just trying to temper the melodramatic frustrations of newbies who cry "hax!!!" at every annoying Damage Overcharged Heavy Laser hit or tedious railgun hit into a Distortion Field'd Scout, but it does the game and the community no benefit to do anything less than unequivocally condemn a rather nasty (albeit situational) exploit.

Make no mistake: I consider it an exploit and one that needs to be fixed. But it is not, however, terribly game changing. People that do it remove themselves from the game. Report it and move on.

I don't call it cheating for exactly the reason you mention: too many clueless players who think everything is cheating. That, and the exploit is one that confers no real advantage so long as you can convince your team to stop flying into it and self destructing.

Make no mistake: I consider it an exploit and one that needs to be fixed. But it is not, however, terribly game changing. People that do it remove themselves from the game. Report it and move on.

I don't call it cheating for exactly the reason you mention: too many clueless players who think everything is cheating. That, and the exploit is one that confers no real advantage so long as you can convince your team to stop flying into it and self destructing.

Yup.

[quote=BCGaius;9961429

When an experienced Gunship does it, however, it is what we here on the internet would generally refer to as cancerous. For reasons of gameplay integrity, I will not explain exactly how to do it to its maximum effectiveness, but when done with said maximum effectiveness it can absolutely shut down a deathmatch..

I have legit never seen this. Not saying its never happened, I am sure some Gunship pilots have tried to get in there. But the problem with a GS doing it, and why you almost elusively see Bombers doing it, is that the GS cuts off his field of view and ability to re-locate. Meaning he is reliant on people coming into his field of view, rather than moving with the match. Any Strong Gunship pilot knows this, and I believe strongly that's why I have never seen an "experienced" Gunship use it.

Let me make clear though, if I ever see anything other than a Bomber using it, I will shame that person openly, as well as report them. But it is my belief that strong / experienced players do not need this exploit, which is the 2nd reason you only see tick bombers using it.

I would also ask anyone who claims to have seen a GS using it, whether they can tell the difference between this and the line of sight mechanic that allows a GS to position his rail gun to fire, while still being hidden. If they can't in detail explain how to tell the difference, then I strongly suspect they have seen the latter, not the one-way tunnel exploit.

Edited by Ttoilleekul