LvL 7 Space Missions

Kenevil

Can the devs please have a look at these high level space missions because they are borderline impossible unless I do them over and over to get them just right and have all the muscle memory and know where all the enemies spawn and when to use jammer and emp etc.

Im weird and actually enjoy the on rails shooter. Its a nice distraction while im contemplating my existence whilst I farm mats for the 'w.t.f even is this' crafting grind.

Have they said anything? Will they do anything? Does anyone know because its been like this for as long as I can remember in this game and its a fun thing to do. Have a fully decked out ship and the missions shouldn't be this much of a slog to get through is all im saying.

Edited by Kenevil

There's nothing wrong with the grade 7 space missions. The challenge is what makes them fun. They are absolutely doable with some practice. If you don't want a challenge, just stick to the easier ones.

i agree the in order to even finish it you need high level gear but prices in GTN are stupidly high, i wonder why would people priced so high

Why don't you farm fleet commendations to buy the ship upgrades yourself? Because it takes a long time, no? That's why the prices are high.

I also don't think there's anything wrong with them. Once you understand what it takes, you can reliably complete them (but if you f... up even once, you're toast).

The thing that helped me the most was to know exactly when to use your EMP plus that other thing, from what I recall there's one or two crucial places in each mission where you get the most out of those.

They're worth the grind, its not like there's much else to do pertaining to that part of the game. It took me a few weeks and hitting the dailies+weeklies on multiple characters multiple times to max out but along the way, it became cleaer that grade 7 gear wasn't necessary, just helped cushion mistakes. You can purchase higher grade things and craft some yourself without much issue at all to get started but I advise looking up the quick guides.

I can't remember which are easily available but Power Converters, Shield Generators, Missile Pods will be your best friends. If you're on Star Forge, I could send you some higher grade things I have laying around.

These missions are beyond merely "challenging" even with maxed out ship. And I say that as one who has completed "challenging" content like KOTFE and KOTET on Master Mode, Eternal Championship 15-minute and no-death runs, and so on.

This is the only reputation track that I haven't completed and will likely not.

Of course, there are (and will be) folks who relish the challenge and have the reputation maxed out. I can only wonder at the skill and - as importantly - the patience required.

It'd be nice if these missions were more accessible.

These missions are beyond merely "challenging" even with maxed out ship. And I say that as one who has completed "challenging" content like KOTFE and KOTET on Master Mode, Eternal Championship 15-minute and no-death runs, and so on.

Of course, there are (and will be) folks who relish the challenge and have the reputation maxed out. I can only wonder at the skill and - as importantly - the patience required.

I agree, I wish they were more accessible, especial for people who aren't as young, and don't have the gross motor skills we did when younger ;) It's the only reputation I haven't maxed :(

The increase in difficulty could be smoother from the other missions to grade 7, the other higher missions are just a tad bit too easy when it comes to actually doing manoeuvres to escape enemy fire. That's way more important in the grade 7 missions. Active evasion by rolling the ship sideways and moving constantly up and down to decrease incoming damage, once you got that down and know where and when your targets appear it's way less stressful to fly them.

Maybe check out your key settings too, when I tried one of those missions after a long time I got destroyed rather quickly because the movements for space combat were not properly mapped to the keys I expected them to be. Not sure whether I messed that up myself at some point or if the introduction of /changes to GSF had some side effects there.

I see some people dont get it or just dont understand. If you've done them and got the rep, good for you. For me and the rest of us its like you've shown fire for the first time. Im astonished. Though fair enough, it still seems it boils down to; do you have the patience to do them over and over. Well, I do not so I know to never attempt them again. Just wish this game had more resources behind it. There isnt another mmo like this out there.

As someone who has not done the things you have, but have maxed out this reputation, I remember having similar feelings of hopelessness when I first tried them. But, in addition to what has already been said (most notably the movement to avoid enemy fire), what also helps is to remember that these are entirely scripted. That means that if you memorize what happens, just like in operations bosses with specific mechanics, you can plan ahead of everything. Which includes figuring out when to divert power to blasters and when to replenish shields.

the difficulty isn't really the difficulty.... it's the underwhelming rewards making it painfully slow to grind out the gear needed to do them properly....

You can start fully outfitting your ship for one character within a week. There are heroics for characters at higher levels beyond 50+ that reward a fair amount of comms for the gear. Believe me, it hung over my head for years before I got to grinding it out. One character's semi-geared ship with blues from around launch went to a fully decked out ship with only 450k credits spent and a weekend of getting the hang of the missions with the guides open for efficiency.

Come on folks, its not an esport, failure is fine. I failed my way upward and came out better for it. Failure is the best teacher and your reflexes don't have to be sharp because the variables barely change on each try, so its down to memorization and gear. You can outright buy 3 or 4 of the essential parts for cheap (sub 1m, which is nothing these days) and again, you don't NEED grade 7 stuff. It just makes more room for error.

Btw, GSF daily+weekly rewards a ton of the commendations for the PVE space missions. You don't have to win, just spend some time doing something different. I finished the weeklies in less than an hour and a half, even faster on CQ weeks encouraging GSF. If you're looking for a carry to speed it up, ask in the GSF chat channel, the aces are pretty cool about it. You might learn something too.

Edited by DarthCasus

[...]

Btw, GSF daily+weekly rewards.[...]

allow me to stop you right there. Grinding content type B to gear for content type A is neither good design, nor a reasonable assumption.... doesn't matter if it's this, or warzones or master ops or w/e. It's probably the second-most longstanding gripe players have had with gearing in SWTOR

Come on folks, its not an esport, failure is fine. I failed my way upward and came out better for it. Failure is the best teacher and your reflexes don't have to be sharp because the variables barely change on each try, so its down to memorization and gear. You can outright buy 3 or 4 of the essential parts for cheap (sub 1m, which is nothing these days) and again, you don't NEED grade 7 stuff. It just makes more room for error.

Except, constant failure is demoralising, not everyone has fast wrists, or eyes. Nor can they remember every move, or even have the time to do them. Unforgiving mechanics in anything other than HM/NiM is ridiculous. There are people who play this game, that can't do space missions due to physical limitations, and saying, try and try again, doesn't help them, it's extremely condescending. The missions are supposed to be heroic, I get this, but PvE mission are heroics, and don't have these sort of unforgiving issues. Which leaves a section of the community out of the loop and are unable to max out the rep on this

allow me to stop you right there. Grinding content type B to gear for content type A is neither good design, nor a reasonable assumption.... doesn't matter if it's this, or warzones or master ops or w/e. It's probably the second-most longstanding gripe players have had with gearing in SWTOR

It's only an option and I never said it was preferable to just the space missions alone, but then again, it is an option. If you're not willing to do the content itself for the rewards, and bemoan secondary content that you honestly don't even have to try in, you're not really wanting the 'reward'. Sometimes, I agree, the content associated with some things just ain't worth it, but there are avenues open here that are fair imo. You can have a decked out ship in less than 3 days with less than 1m credits spent and a handful of hours. I know this because I did not too long ago. This is coming from someone who is often arguing the same as you, where content should be appealing enough to reduce the slog of grind, but I recognize that we're dealing with a woefully slow to respond dev team of an MMO, a genre that is built on grind. I wouldn't want to pvp for pve gearsets, so I don't. That's how its been for me since 5.0. I don't do content I have no interest in and you're within your right to do the same.

Except, constant failure is demoralising, not everyone has fast wrists, or eyes. Nor can they remember every move, or even have the time to do them. Unforgiving mechanics in anything other than HM/NiM is ridiculous. There are people who play this game, that can't do space missions due to physical limitations, and saying, try and try again, doesn't help them, it's extremely condescending. The missions are supposed to be heroic, I get this, but PvE mission are heroics, and don't have these sort of unforgiving issues. Which leaves a section of the community out of the loop and are unable to max out the rep on this

And I understand that, but it has nothing to do with me putting out tips for those who aren't as affected by these issues. I AM an advocate for those with disabilities, so this kind of feels unwarranted. The mechanics aren't so unforgiving that the content isn't doable, and there is a grind. Thats expected of 'HEROIC' content. If I could make content that accounts for people with physical disabilities and ailments, believe me, I would. But I'm not a dev and I don't believe it to be fair to claim my general advice to be condescending because I didn't initially consider those who had such issues. OP's issue had to do with frustration and a lack of gear to do the missions.

If this standard stands for me, it would apply to all sorts of content that assumes all players to be up to the same bar in regard to physical capabilities. Raids/Ops/Flashpoints are known for the trial and error, or following mechanics according to the game's pace and your team's capabilities. PvP isn't a 'everyone wins' type of content. Even in PvE (BEFORE the level sync and when at-level gearing was important), failure was possible regularly and the game provides you with ways to deal with it, like respawning and being able to retry.

I don't say 'failure is easy to get over', or 'failure is all on you'. That would be condescending. I just believe people aren't used to it, which is okay in a game, but its also fine to fail upward. Its why we used to be able to lose our way to 15 points for the PvP weekly. The space missions are there for those who want to do them, whether or not they can. My tips are no more than that, no malice intended. I even offered to send out free parts I crafted or bought.

Unforgiving mechanics in anything other than HM/NiM is ridiculous.

For as long as I can remember, players have referred to these as "HM Space Missions".

Also, you can't use disabilities as an argument for the OP, making content more accessible to those with disabilities would be a completely different suggestion.

Edited by MagikFingerz

I/snip.

Ok, fair enough, your advice is good for people who's difficulty is learning the missions, getting used to them, etc.

But the problem with the missions that give the rep is they are considered 'heroic' mission at a time when heroics actually needed a group, and couldn't be solo'd by most people, yet there was never an option to have someone with us. And even when they made the heroics easier, they never touched the space missions. Personally I think they should give rep tokens out for the easier missions too, not purple, green would be fine, it would still be a grind, but it would be a grind where people can actually get somewhere.

It's very generous of you to help with the parts (I didn't see that), if you're on Starforge and need help with mats, let me know. A burden shared is a burden halved .

I agree, I wish they were more accessible, especial for people who aren't as young, and don't have the gross motor skills we did when younger ;) It's the only reputation I haven't maxed :(

I'm in the same boat. Do only level 7 mission give reputation? I haven't done them for a while and was thinking about starting up but I'm having a pretty hard time with them as well. But then my current health situation might have something to do with that as well. I dunno, for me it would be good if there are lower level missions that give reputation tokens. I don't mind it taking a long time but hey...

Some of them are don't require as much equipment, some require more, but it's a rail shooter, once you have it down(maybe watch a video) they're pretty consistent.

They aren't actually trying reflex-wise, it's mostly about memorization. Doing a roll while moving in a direction is also a way to get where you need to be more quickly if you forget an oncoming obstacle. If you're doing it correctly(pretty much following what others have done) and it's not working it's a ship gear problem. Some of them do require the top-end stuff.

I'm in the same boat. Do only level 7 mission give reputation? I haven't done them for a while and was thinking about starting up but I'm having a pretty hard time with them as well. But then my current health situation might have something to do with that as well. I dunno, for me it would be good if there are lower level missions that give reputation tokens. I don't mind it taking a long time but hey...

There's one grade 5 mission that gives a green rep token (you can get it once per character per day). On Republic side it's called Impossible Sector, on Imperial side I think it's Ascendancy Barrier.

There's one grade 5 mission that gives a green rep token (you can get it once per character per day). On Republic side it's called Impossible Sector, on Imperial side I think it's Ascendancy Barrier.

ahh cool, thanks for that info. I'll look into it.

I really dont understand what this is about. The missions are supposed to be hard! If u equip the grade 7 equipment then you should be fine. Its PVE so once u learn the route you won cause its just about doing the same over and over again. There are numerous videos on youtube which show you how its done. I am sure I would do all missions now, even after many years as they havent changed a bit.

I suggest to play some 80s retro games, if you want to understand better how the level 7 missions can be learned. They were all about memorising what to do where when why how.

Try R-Type.

After Burner.

Or a Jump'n'run like Wonder Boy or Ghouls'n'Ghosts.

When you figure out a game (or a space mission), it becomes an automatism and very easy.

Seriously, R-Type. Hardest game I ever played. Never finished it.

I tracked what items (names can be confusing) are available where (GTN/crafting or Vendor), price, and so on on the way to gearing one of my character's ships for Level 7 missions. I completed the gearing to my satisfaction but got disheartened and frustrated with the missions themselves and never saw through the reputation track ("Republic Hyperspace Armada" or the Imperial equivalent) which is significantly more difficult to complete than the achievements (simply called "Space") which I did get to 100%.

• FC: Fleet Commendations
  • Vendor: "Starship Upgrades" vendor in the GTN part of the Fleet.
  • All items are "Bind on Equip" except for the "Proton Torpedo Tube" which is "Bind on Pickup."
  • I went with best (level 7) items for each category except for "Beam Charger" and "Shield Regenerator" for which I stuck with Level 6 items. Not all higher level items are unconditionally better than corresponding lower level items; reading the descriptions carefully before making an upgrade will help. The following is what I got.

[b]Category                                 Best Level        Source                     Vendor Price        Gear to get[/b]
Ship Armor                             7                        Vendor or GTN       FC 350                   7        Durasteel Armor
Beam Charger                        7                        Vendor or GTN       FC 350                   6        Sienar Systems Beam Charger
Beam Generator                   7                         Vendor or GTN       FC 350                  7        Blast Condenser
Energy Shield                         7                        GTN                          NA                         7        Deflector Shield
Shield Regenerator               7                       Vendor or GTN       FC 350                   6        Hoersch-Kessel Shield Regenerator
Missile Magazine                  7                        GTN                          NA                         7        Concussion Missile Magazine
Proton Torpedo                     1                       Vendor                     FC 50                     1        Proton Torpedo Tube
Electronic Warfare Pod        7                       GTN                          NA                         7        Improved Electronic Warfare Pod
EMP Generator                      7                      Vendor                     FC 350                   7        Improved Electromagnetic Pulse
Power Conversion Module  7                     Vendor                      $200,000              7        Improved Power Conversion Module

Even with access to Word and Excel, there doesn't seem to be a way to include decently formatted tables on this forum. It'd help greatly if the <Code> tag just put the enclosed contents in a fixed-width font. Not to mention not adding unnecessary blank lines at the bottom.

Edited by mike_carton