Companion Approval

Hadsil

Does Companion opinion matter to you? Of course you choose your dialogue based on what you feel like, but does a Companion's approval or disapproval matter to you on an emotional level? In class stories I only care about the Companion I like the best who I keep for the entire game. Generally there's only one I like, but a few have two so their opinion matters also. I find myself disappointed when they disagree. From Fallen Empire onward there are Companions I don't like at all, so I really don't give a Hoover what they think.

When I like the character it bothers me when they disapprove. It mostly doesn't affect the script, Koth being the exception with Aric/Kaliyo sort of, but I feel like I'm letting down the characters I really care about. It's worse when it's the romanced character even in class story. I worry too much disapproval will lead to a break up. Cheating on your romance with particular scripted flirts of others give you the option to break up, but Companions don't break up on their own. You never had the chance to commit with Koth if you tick him off enough, as far as I know. Still, head canon can't help but be concerned.

I don't get into that deep, but I see where you're coming from to an extent. Like when playing the BH story and using Mako she like disapproved of almost everything, and she was pretty much the main one I used unless I was forced to use a different one.

Does Companion opinion matter to you? Of course you choose your dialogue based on what you feel like, but does a Companion's approval or disapproval matter to you on an emotional level?

Sort of. Sometimes. Maybe.

It really depends on the character I'm playing as much as it depends on the companion, and of course I still have an aversion to losing Affection.

Hmm. OK, a little background to that last point. Back in the day, before 4.0 dropped in 2015, a disapproval meant *losing* points in the "ancestor" of Influence, a thing called Affection. In some cases that today would be noted as "OutragedCompanion greatly disapproves", that loss could be 400-500 points on a scale that only went up to ten thousand. (See, for example, the Trooper class story mission on A-77 and what happens if you make a particular Dark Side choice when Elara Dorne is with you.)

From Fallen Empire onward there are Companions I don't like at all, so I really don't give a Hoover what they think.

Curiously, the companions I *really* despise are all pre-FE companions:

* Skadge. Even before he was a companion, I wanted to kill him.

* Quinn. I don't think I need to say any more than that.

On the other hand, I don't see what this has to do with vacuum cleaners.

When I like the character it bothers me when they disapprove. It mostly doesn't affect the script, Koth being the exception with Aric/Kaliyo sort of, but I feel like I'm letting down the characters I really care about. It's worse when it's the romanced character even in class story. I worry too much disapproval will lead to a break up.

It won't.