Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So, Crew skills are essentially useless now

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
So, Crew skills are essentially useless now

WanderSturm
07.19.2021 , 05:24 AM | #1
Came back after a long hiatus. First thought was working on upgrading the gear on my characters. When I play MMOs, I have several alts, and they all take up at least one each of the crafting specialties, so I have everything covered. I use these to keep all my characters as up to date as possible on gear. When I left, I was able to craft Mods, Enhancements, Armoring and other incidentals ( i.e. hilts, barrels...) for ANY of my characters. Now I can only build them specifically for the character that has the crew skill, meaning that crew skills are class and specialty specific for ONLY the character you are running at the time. You can't build for the other classes and specialties, unless they use similar stats.
OR AM I MISSING something that doesn't attempt to force me into spending ungodly amounts on the Marketplace.
The Hand of Chaos

Mubrak
07.19.2021 , 12:36 PM | #2
Sounds like you've been away for quite a bit. Class specific stats were removed in 4.0. In fact, by now, they've been gone for longer than they have existed. That Superior Versatile Armoring 80 with Mastery is useful for all classes.

The problem isn't that crafted mods are useless or class specific (in fact, even crafted armorings are useful now that the set bonus is on the armor shell) the issue is that the same stuff also drops from any content eventually, and once a player has one char at 306, they can share that gear with alts and are done grinding item rating. So after a tedious process of reverse engineering RNG there is a very limited market for that 306 mod you finally learned to craft.

Even for personal use and lower item ratings you're likely to get better gear from loot drops quicker than you can farm the flashpoint mats to craft your own mods.

That said, as a returning crafter, if you can craft old armors, especially from reverse engineering old PVP gear back in the day, you might quite literally have the license to print money. Uniforms, trenchcoats, republic superhero masks, a lot of old gear is no longer available, (or only as cartel market items).
Let us turn off that gaudy flashing icon over every vendor's head.
Let us sort our companion list and hide or kick out the unwanted ones!

SteveTheCynic
07.20.2021 , 08:01 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by WanderSturm View Post
Now I can only build them specifically for the character that has the crew skill,
What makes you say that?
Something you find difficult is a lesson on how to play better, not a punishment for playing badly.
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
Latest patch notes at http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes

phalczen
07.27.2021 , 02:20 AM | #4
When I left, I was able to craft Mods, Enhancements, Armoring and other incidentals ( i.e. hilts, barrels...) for ANY of my characters. Now I can only build them specifically for the character that has the crew skill, meaning that crew skills are class and specialty specific for ONLY the character you are running at the time. You can't build for the other classes and specialties, unless they use similar stats.
OR AM I MISSING something that doesn't attempt to force me into spending ungodly amounts on the Marketplace.
I haven't seen you reply to the thread to acknowledge you found what everyone was talking about. You can absolutely still make item modifications for all your alts. You can build for the other classes because aim, cunning, willpower, strength all got converted to Mastery for 3.0. High endurance, low mastery Resistive armorings (for any tank of any advanced class) are made by Armormechs, and Versatile armorings (high mastery, low endurance, for dps and heals) are made by Synthweavers. Mods are made by Cybertechs. Enhancements used to be Artifcers but are now Cybertech instead. I believe those changes were made in 4.0, maybe earlier, but if you have all the crafting classes then you should still be ok. Barrels of course get crafted by Armstechs and hilts and color crystals by Artificers, just as they always were.

Augments now depend on the level as well as the type. Newer versions of Absorb and Alacrity are made by Armormechs. Versatile, Accuracy, and Shield are made by Armstechs. Critical are made by Synthweavers. The old looted, low-level schematics will be in an archive category in your crew skill schematic window, and you can still make them, but from 4.0 onward I believe you learned them from the trainers, with only a few (now obsolete) exceptions.

The pieces you make should all be tradeable/sellable, assuming they are not bugged in some way. They should say "Bind on Legacy on Equip" for the newest ones (requiring level 71+) and "Bind on Equip" for the lower level ones.
If you would like to hear more of my thoughts, consider joining our guilds on Satele Shan, "Shock and Jawa" of the Republic and "Full Metal Jawa" of the Empire. Thank you for reading!

Nickodemous
08.06.2021 , 07:04 PM | #5
Came back after a long hiatus. First thought was working on upgrading the gear on my characters. When I play MMOs, I have several alts, and they all take up at least one each of the crafting specialties, so I have everything covered. I use these to keep all my characters as up to date as possible on gear. When I left, I was able to craft Mods, Enhancements, Armoring and other incidentals ( i.e. hilts, barrels...) for ANY of my characters. Now I can only build them specifically for the character that has the crew skill, meaning that crew skills are class and specialty specific for ONLY the character you are running at the time. You can't build for the other classes and specialties, unless they use similar stats.
You are correct, crafting for your alt characters is almost impossible now.

Bit of advice, do not rely on crafting for anything.
Tyranticus - Ty'zor - Maullin - Clandestu - Pepe'nero

The Elite Warlord Club - The PVP FAB FIVE

phalczen
08.07.2021 , 07:36 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Nickodemous View Post
You are correct, crafting for your alt characters is almost impossible now.

Bit of advice, do not rely on crafting for anything.
I mean, saying itís tedious and time/money/resource intensive, and not financially worth the effort, is not the same thing as saying itís impossible. Iím on the record as saying 6.0 crafting is an atrocity but thatís in reference to the crafting of 270+ gear, not grinding gear. Itís hardly ďalmost impossible.Ē More importantly, making item modifications for your alts while you level is not cost-prohibitive, though green mods being available for credits certainly makes crafting for alts unnecessary.

I think thatís the real problem with crafting in 6.0. I love the ease with which one can grind from 270 to 306 but I still have to acknowledge itís made the crafting unnecessary. But then the Devs add insult to injury and make it so resource intensive and have such a low RE chance, thatís just plain cruel.
If you would like to hear more of my thoughts, consider joining our guilds on Satele Shan, "Shock and Jawa" of the Republic and "Full Metal Jawa" of the Empire. Thank you for reading!

RikuvonDrake
08.11.2021 , 11:07 AM | #7
crafting has always been useless and just a cost, if you used it foolishly, with how the gearing system has worked in the last few patches the ability to gear through crafting, has been removed, although you can still take a shortcut through having a friend craft you 306 to skip some of the gear grind

the issue with crafting currently is mainly the competition, there is more people at maxlevel, the amount of items that can be crafted with bigger margins are fewer and its far easier to boost companions to 50

Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - The Red Eclipse - Darth Malgus

Saga - FriendlyFire - Mango

Heimkehr
09.05.2021 , 05:18 PM | #8
I'm glad I found this thread soon enough. I'm also a returning player after maybe 7-8 years, and wasted quite a bit of time in the last two weeks leveling up all crew skills only to hit a wall at endgame gear. I could rant about it, but it's so disappointing it's really not worth it. Well, I can at least make some pretty colors.

Enticy
09.05.2021 , 09:20 PM | #9
The thing about crafting is that at this point, itís mainly done to make credits. You can craft the occasion cool-looking piece of armor for Outfit Designer, but itís mostly there for credit farming. However, that requires knowing which skills to use, what to craft, and how not to spend more credits than you make. And itís more of a supplementary thing to just playing the GTN for Cartel Market items.

dsv_maestro
09.07.2021 , 07:17 AM | #10
You can flush Crew Skills in WC now, they just dont required.... Modules? Drops from flashpoints. Armor? Only as outfit. Weapon? Well only weapon is normal... for now. SWTOR became too much casual.

Hah, i so miss classic SWTOR, with its: advensed class at lvl 10, with perks sheet, with unic crew members(with their unic crew bonuses), without that damned light/dark switcher.