How Augment Slots SHOULD work in 1.3

Leiralei

Ok so I've read the full writeup here and the system as slated for 1.3 seems to have a few problems.

"Internally, mods make our items inordinately more data-complex and intensive than the items in the average item heavy game, and those complexities are compounded by a live environment."

So then why add several tiers of augment slots which will add even more complexity?

There are two problems with the system as proposed:

1. If crafters are to be viable, then paying credits to a vendor for an augment slot upgrade makes crafters pointless.
  2. The system is too data-complex.

Solution: Make it so crit crafting gives the base item plus an augment kit. The kit can be used on the same type of item - Synthweaving, Armormech, Artifice, or Armstech. Augment kits should only come from crafters on a crit craft. Augment kits allow an augment to be used on an item, no need to keep track of what type of augment slot and what augment is in the slot, just what augment is in the slot.

This suggestion eliminates several levels of complexity in the database for:

1. 6 levels of crafting mats
  2. 5 levels of augment upgrade kits
  3. 6 levels of types of augments on items
  4. 6 levels of crafting mats and kits in bankspace and inventory for the database to keep track per crafter

It adds:

1. 4 types of augment kits
  2. Categorizing augmentable items by craft, including social armor and boss drops

K.I.S.S.

Edited by Leiralei

Agreed. I have no idea what purpose the tiered slot system is supposed to serve other than adding complexity for complexity's sake. Falling back on 'unlock with credits' is also a very poor choice in direction. IMO we should have a legacy-linked currency to purchase unlocks with.

Agreed. I have no idea what purpose the tiered slot system is supposed to serve other than adding complexity for complexity's sake. Falling back on 'unlock with credits' is also a very poor choice in direction. IMO we should have a legacy-linked currency to purchase unlocks with.
What do you mean by "falling back on credits?"

The tiered system creates a general market for Augments, a line of products if you will. This is generally beneficial for an economic system.

The current system they have slated for 1.3 has people buying augment upgrades from a vendor for credits. This devalues crafters.
Reread it. The system has a charge at the Augmentation Table, but the Augmentation Kits and the Augments themselves are all player created.

Reread it. The system has a charge at the Augmentation Table, but the Augmentation Kits and the Augments themselves are all player created.

Thank you for the clarification.

My objection to the multiple tiers still stands. It's needlessly complex. Just have one type of kit for each craft, add it to the item, and be done.

Thank you for the clarification.

My objection to the multiple tiers still stands. It's needlessly complex. Just have one type of kit for each craft, add it to the item, and be done.

Well put. The system IS needlessly complex and I find myself researching and watching videos for hours and hours about what mods to use etc. To be honest, even after all that, I'm still confused, lol.

Simple is better... always.