Why Picking a Second Combat Style ?

WARDOD

Thanks to the PTS I was able to try to set a second class to my main characters ..

The question that I have asked myself is simple:

Why should I do this ?

I already have all the characters of all the classes, at the highest level;

Different classes have different play styles different "positions" of the icons in the interface, and also the interface itself, different !

At the end I find it much more practical to change characters instead of Picking a Second Combat Style

So what should I use this new feature for?

:confused:

If you're a jedi sage + sith assassin, you're a Swiss Army knife -- tank, heal, and DPS spec all on one toon, plus stealth. That may appeal to some.

Also absolutely unrelated to mechanics is role-playing / head canon. First toon on PTS I created was a sage / lightning sorc. Mirror classes, but I don't care, I can role-play that I'm pulled by both sides of the force.

Plenty of reasons.

Edited by xordevoreaux

If you're a jedi sage + sith assassin, you're a Swiss Army knife -- tank, heal, and DPS spec all on one toon, plus stealth. That may appeal to some.

ok I see some advantages and remain positive on 7.0 but the basic problem remains:

Obviously I am clear on the fact that with 6.0 to play the two proposed characters I also have to change faction, so guild, heritage warehouse, etc. ..

The program as present in the PTS allows me to be either a jedi sage or a sith assassin on the same character but NOT to be both at the same time.

The meaning of this post is that the styles of play change in the same character, the stored "positions" of the bar are also "reset", forcing me to move the icons, and change the specific healer / dps interface

so it is more practical for me to change characters than to change playstyles in the same character.

Unless of course one day you can also memorize the specific interface for each character and not just the clothes and weapons.

ok I see some advantages and remain positive on 7.0 but the basic problem remains:

Obviously I am clear on the fact that with 6.0 to play the two proposed characters I also have to change faction, so guild, heritage warehouse, etc. ..

The program as present in the PTS allows me to be either a jedi sage or a sith assassin on the same character but NOT to be both at the same time.

The meaning of this post is that the styles of play change in the same character, the stored "positions" of the bar are also "reset", forcing me to move the icons, and change the specific healer / dps interface

so it is more practical for me to change characters than to change playstyles in the same character.

Unless of course one day you can also memorize the specific interface for each character and not just the clothes and weapons.

The bar reset thing is only because Loadouts are not available on the PTS. We're supposed to be able to save stuff like that.

For me, it allows me to test out Sage/Sorcerer without hating the fact that my character doesn't use their lightsaber for melee.

This is a fix for that. Now, if I turn out to actually like Sage/Sorcerer, I can still switch it up to melee when I feel the need.

And such a thing may let me focus on my favorite character story wise. Yes, I know, after chapter 3 they start to all blend into one, but Consular is my favorite of the stories, so I like to use her the most.

Also, can switch things up when you feel the need. :) Not to mention now I can point to my Trooper having a pistol that always gets pulled out in cut scenes and still use the Ion Cannon when I want (if I don't go Merc to just keep the pistols).

And the already mentioned (not going to be me tho) people can go DPS/TANK/HEAL and grab a Stealth all on one character if they choose.

The bar reset thing is only because Loadouts are not available on the PTS. We're supposed to be able to save stuff like that.

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

I hope that will be how they intended the loadout.

We will see in due time .. now I just have to wait.:)

Usually being able to play more classes on one character rather than be forced to make new characters is a bonus for me, it is similar to ff14 where you can literally be all the classes on your main character, it is convenient.

All your stuff in one character is something I enjoy, but due to the nature of swtor and story choices I can imagine people who are more invested in different characters due to their story and RP sense might not care as much.

But for me being able to be 2 classes instead of one is a huge advantage since i always like to change things month by month and would prefer if i didnt have to make, level or start organizing another character for it.

It also benefits people who like to RP i guess since now they get to be a bounty hunter in the story that is using sniper rifle abilities so there is more freedom as to what kind of bounty hunter, agent, smuggler or trooper you are, you arent limited anymore

Edited by ralphieceaser

Uyou arent limited anymore

I'm sorry but I don't agree with this statement and explain why:

I started this post to complain about the fact that passing from a specialization to another they reset the game bars, as always happens in version 6.0 simply changing specialization in the same character.

Have different interfaces, having to move everything ! He pushed me to have a single character for a single specialization .. so I don't have only 8 Alt at Liv 75 but 16 different characters... (ok not all at top, but all at lev 75)

I also understand that it's just my problem :)

If the LOADOUT will also store the position of the commands it will be perfect ..

Otherwise I will have to play again as "if there was no tomorrow" to keep everyone 16 alt at combact level....

If the LOADOUT will also store the position of the commands it will be perfect ..

Otherwise I will have to play again as "if there was no tomorrow" to keep everyone 16 alt at combact level....

And there is the question, do we know this is how it works? Nobody has been able to even test this function yet, if it doesn't then a secondary style is almost useless outside of very limited circumstances.

I am a Jugg Tank, I plan on getting Sorc as my second style, this with the new loadouts feature that isn't available yet, will let me play any role I want on my main, Tank, Melee DPS, Healer, Ranged DPS. This can also be helpful for running new story in a less grinding configuration. A lot of the recent Flashpoint based story as been really annoying because BioWare stopped supporting group play for story content, and using FlashPoints for story makes a really boring and grindy experience for tanks and healers.

I do not like that I MUST pick a second style if I even if all I want to do is change my first one. I would like the option to only change the first one while I figure out what I want for my second one before I make this irrevocable decision.

I do not like that I MUST pick a second style if I even if all I want to do is change my first one. I would like the option to only change the first one while I figure out what I want for my second one before I make this irrevocable decision.

We do have a bit less than a month in order to prepare and figure out what you want as second combat style, you simply launch the combat style quest when you are ready.

Though like someone suggested I wouldnt be surprised if a cartel item appeared that allowed you to change your second combat style again.

Honestly I totally UNDERSTAND your point of view. I wouldn't likely change my Combat Style either, cause like you I'd rather start a new character and arrange the POWERTRAY (Advanced) Abilities exactly as they need. Having to then re-arrange them ALL is just silly.

Maybe once Loadouts are fully working this will Improve, still I really don't see the advantage to another Combat Style. It used to make each Class Unique, and with that and so many other things TAKEN OUT...

From Abilities, Combat Proficiencies, we've actually LOST far more than we've GAINED. :(

I wished they left 2 of the former 3 Abilities based on which Discipline you choose:

For example:

Discipline One - Get's Ability 1 & 2.

Discipline Two - Get's Ability 2 & 3.

Discipline Three - Get's Ability 1 & 3.

Edited by Strathkin

I’ve thought about this far more than I would have thought. I am not a big RP player but I will admit that I created my characters to have a certain look.. Tank one way, healer another etc. I dont really want my healer to look like my tank. My current thought and this could change is to give everyone that is not a stealth class, stealth. Im hoping loadouts will work out of combat which would let my main change loadout, stealth to where he needs to go, change loadout and do the objective, change loadout and stealth out.

It is kinda lame there is no tech combo that gives you tank, heal, melee dps, ranged dps and stealth like there is on force side.

Edited by YTTHYTTH

I’ve thought about this far more than I would have thought. I am not a big RP player but I will admit that I created my characters to have a certain look.. Tank one way, healer another etc. I dont really want my healer to look like my tank. My current thought and this could change is to give everyone that is not a stealth class, stealth. Im hoping loadouts will work out of combat which would let my main change loadout, stealth to where he needs to go, change loadout and do the objective, change loadout and stealth out.

It is kinda lame there is no tech combo that gives you tank, heal, melee dps, ranged dps and stealth like there is on force side.

If your objective is in the open world and you are not in combat, you'll be able to switch at will. Whenever you enter an instance (be it FP, HC or Story) you cannot switch loadout until you exit that instance.

If your objective is in the open world and you are not in combat, you'll be able to switch at will. Whenever you enter an instance (be it FP, HC or Story) you cannot switch loadout until you exit that instance.

Im a solo player so Im talking about doing this on dailies. I wonder if I will be able to do it in heroic +2 missions? I will have to test it.

Thanks to the PTS I was able to try to set a second class to my main characters ..

Why should I do this ?

Different classes have different play styles different "positions" of the icons in the interface, and also the interface itself, different !

At the end I find it much more practical to change characters instead of Picking a Second Combat Style

I mean I understand, especially as you see your Powertray (Advanced or Extended) buttons placed in the position of the other Combat Style, then got to spend time re-arranging everything cause it doesn't save them for each LOADOUT. Maybe it will in time but still... :(

I'm likely to not create another just for that reason alone, why much about 7.0 really shows poor planning. And if most have each class (if they do 8 Legendary character's in each unique sub-class) it's not quite such a selling feature. It also allowed each sub-class to be more unique as well.

It just seems disappointing most news out of 7.0 has brought.

Edited by Strathkin

Why should I do this ?

I have one of each spec as well, but it will be nice to my main capable of filling all 3 roles, so that is a huge benefit. While I was down with swapping characters all the time, with the changes to weeklies being reset, it will be easier to just swap between needed specs. Just my opinion on it at least