iRating Adjustment why it makes me weaker ?

Sewerus

It is not a punishment. In case you're not a longtime player: this is the latest scheme by the developers to match content difficulty with player level and gear. It has been the least problematic in these years, in my opinion. Others will disagree, of course.

Bottom line: This will not affect how effective your character is in dealing with the enemy NPCs in the game. You can completely ignore it and will be fine, especially since you now have a companion (or will acquire one shortly.)

It is not a punishment. In case you're not a longtime player: this is the latest scheme by the developers to match content difficulty with player level and gear. It has been the least problematic in these years, in my opinion. Others will disagree, of course.

Bottom line: This will not affect how effective your character is in dealing with the enemy NPCs in the game. You can completely ignore it and will be fine, especially since you now have a companion (or will acquire one shortly.)

How is lowering my damage by nearly half doesn't effect my effectiveness ? I removed my gear and it basically didn't change my stats.

Since i had around 1800 hit points at lvl 10, i should have around the same amount if i ding to lvl 11 since it scaled me to lvl 10 and not 5 levels lower.

This same phenomenon was noticed when 6.0 was on the Public Test Server... people noticed that their stats on the soon-to-be level locked Ossus (a level 70 area) were lower on PTS than they were on live.

So, I was recently instructed that buffs, like the Class buffs or Raid buffs, that increase character stats by a percentage function normally in level locked content, but things that increase stats by a fixed amount, for example, stims and adrenals, do not.

So, my suspicion is that all those things you consume and equip that increase your stats by a fixed amount do so properly while your character level is at or below the cap. So, you were receiving the full benefit of gear etc. at level 10. However, once you exceeded the cap, your stats were set to the cap (in the case of mastery and endurance) or specific value (in the case of power). I presume that by now you have moved on from the starter planet onto your faction's capitol planet, so you probably noticed that your stats improved to something closer to what you were right before you reached level 11.

I presume that the algorithm deciding what values stats become at level cap is NOT taking into account any assumptions about what an actual level 10 player would be wearing as gear. The actual range of relevant combat stats is quite wide, depending on whether the player has all 14 slots equipped or not, whether its green/premium unmoddable gear, or the opposite extreme of moddable gear with purple/artifact mods and purple augments. So, I think the devs picked some values in-between those very wide ranges, probably closer to the lower end. I mean, the Devs could choose the caps based on the absolute best gear accessible to a character at that level, but if a player didn't actually have anything close to that gear, they would immediately sense a significant drop in effectiveness as soon as they moved on to the next planet. I guess there is an argument to be made that such a design would actually help to teach the player the importance of upgrading their gear. But, you don't want to be balancing a planet around the assumption that the players leveling through it have fully augmented artifact gear. The planet has to be balanced around new players, because the Devs have specifically said on numerous occasions that they never want story content to be blocked because of difficulty.

Characters like you, closer to the actual level of the planet in question, but possibly wearing very good gear, see this apparent nerf much more because they lack a lot of tertiary stats, and brand new players lack some of the legacy benefits to effectiveness. Accuracy, crit rating, alacrity, etc. are all very very low on low level gear, whereas when characters at the level cap are playing on the low level planets, some of their overall effectiveness is determined by those tertiary stats than the primaries. This makes sense since level lock (and its predecessor level sync) is primarily designed to make older content relevant at end game. It's not directly punishment to you for out-leveling the planet, but it is a quirk in the design for which unfortunately you must suffer.

Edited by phalczen

This same phenomenon was noticed when 6.0 was on the Public Test Server... people noticed that their stats on the soon-to-be level locked Ossus (a level 70 area) were lower on PTS than they were on live.

It's a *lot* older than 6.0 PTS, in fact. I trawled through some older posts, searching my posts that mention "weaker", and found one where I discussed it in June of 2017, which was shortly before the release of 5.3 Sisters of Carnage

• 2 weeks later...
How is lowering my damage by nearly half doesn't effect my effectiveness ? I removed my gear and it basically didn't change my stats.

Since i had around 1800 hit points at lvl 10, i should have around the same amount if i ding to lvl 11 since it scaled me to lvl 10 and not 5 levels lower.

Yup it's a pretty poorly designed system. They clearly cap values instead of properly syncing data. Otherwise your damage at 10 would be the same as 11. Most people that defend it clearly haven't experienced better systems.

Ive read the whole...it makes dailies/heroics etc viable....so would mission level syncing lol. Any system that forces your character to a specific level without options is just sad. At least if they gave players a difficulty setting that gave players a choice from syncing -2 below to a max +2 above it would give some choice. Even so they need to properly level sync if they are going force it.