I think we need equipment sets for companion

BIGssdl

Curious how many alts you were leveling at the same time (since that's when companion gearing was needed) with companions that were taking up so much time gearing.

Back in the 2.X days I was levelling pretty much just a single Trooper, where all the companions used the same mainstat (Aim)(1) as my character. I still hated having to gear companions. In GW1, Heroes (GW1's closest equivalent to companions) didn't need to be geared hardly at all - their stats were 100% derived from their level and the modification objects you put in their armour and weapons.

(1) This was before Mastery replaced Strength, Aim, Cunning and Willpower, and the "Cunning Assault Cannon" ceased to be a thing.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No thanks. Getting rid of companion gear stats was one of the best things they did in 4.0.

Simple then don't. Others should be able to. No one was ever forced to gear companions. I like to gear companions when it makes a difference.

Simple then don't. Others should be able to. No one was ever forced to gear companions. I like to gear companions when it makes a difference.

Here is the problem, it mattered in the old system. You had to gear your companion because they were useless without gear. In current system you can gear your companion and the people that don't want to don't have too. Old system only benefited one group. Current system benefits both groups.

Edited by Warrgames

Does it matter to you? It shouldn't. Investigating how many alts someone has, how a person plays them, etc., is no one's business but the strict domain of that player.

Some think 10 alts are excessive. News for you in that regard. Not even close.

This forum really is nothing more than strawmanning and gaslighting.

I cant say I miss companion gearing lol, but that was becuase back then I wasn't subscribed and was also under leveled

I like being able to put them in any armor I want, I like making them look geared out but not having to worry about stats

I really do miss the unique abilities though :(

With the CM I gotta imagine removing stats got people to buy CM items for their companions that they might not otherwise have bought knowing they'd have to constantly pull mods in and out of.

I think that’s a more realistic reason for why BioWare pulled the stats from companions. Not because of players asking for it.

I think that’s a more realistic reason for why BioWare pulled the stats from companions. Not because of players asking for it.

There was also the issue of the Yavin companion legacy gear sets. You were able to get those gear sets that were really good for them and you could send them between alts but it left everyone's comps looking exactly the same and it's not like they had an outfit tab to offset that issue.

I think SWTOR's clunky system of ripping out or putting things like plating, enchantments, etc, was never the best way to do things. It just seemed unnecessary or time-consuming compared to how other games handle gearing. Then think about how SWTOR is always trying to streamline so many of their systems and it seems even weirder.

I'm not completely against companions have stats or options but the existing setup never felt like the best way to go about it or handle it.

I have to be honest, I do NOT miss having to gear companions to make them useful. I found it pretty annoying and honestly I often found myself just sticking with the companion I started with because they had gear and newer companions during the story didn't. Also droid companions. That was a pain in the backside because they didn't use the same gear (other than weapons), they used droid specific gear. And when I did gear other companions they tended to look like clowns with mishmashed pieces that I got from drops.

It was kinda nice when they introduced the companion gear sets during SoR but then (as someone else pointed out) all of the companions looked the same.

So I'm going to vote "No thanks" on returning to companion gearing.

There were a few reasons why i didn't like the game when i first started, and having to gear my companions was one of them.

So i'm very glad they took that away.

I'd much rather have an outfit designer for companions, even if it's only for 2-3 different outfits that i can choose and swicth depending on my mood, than going back to having to put gear on them, and them looking awful.

It did make a difference. The game was much harder back then and you really needed your companion and they got their stats from gear and presence. Companions also couldn't pick roles. They just had a role and you were stuck with that.

Your account is very old so it surprises me that you don't remember that. Also some story parts were only possible to do with a specific companion. So you either geared them or you would have to face almost certain death.

And well, when they released like 50 companions in one go just before 4.0 I think it became really necessary to stop needing to gear comps individually. Also because at some point you could pick roles for them so you would need differnt gear depending on the role. I still will refuse to make Khem Val a healer though lol.

Your account is very old so it surprises me that you don't remember that. Also some story parts were only possible to do with a specific companion. So you either geared them or you would have to face almost certain death.

Flashbacks to Chapter 3 Final Boss fight for Jedi Knight. Forced to use a companion that many players weren't continuing to use by that point then combine that with it being a droid who were always harder to gear for than the other comps.

And well, when they released like 50 companions in one go just before 4.0 I think it became really necessary to stop needing to gear comps individually.

The new gear for comps is giving them gifts ;)

Flashbacks to Chapter 3 Final Boss fight for Jedi Knight. Forced to use a companion that many players weren't continuing to use by that point then combine that with it being a droid who were always harder to gear for than the other comps.

The new gear for comps is giving them gifts ;)

I found the droids the easiest to gear. It's why I used the ship droid for everyone. I did invest heavily into cybertech because the ship droid is companion that everyone had and I didn't worry about stat and armor type.

Edited by Warrgames

I found the droids the easiest to gear. It's why I used the ship droid for everyone. I did invest heavily into cybertech because the ship droid is companion that everyone had and I didn't worry about stat and armor type.

Back when the game launched a lot of people were unfortunately not as lucky because there weren't a ton of people using Cybertech which resulted in droid parts being kind of rare on the GTN and/or expensive as a result.

Back when the game launched a lot of people were unfortunately not as lucky because there weren't a ton of people using Cybertech which resulted in droid parts being kind of rare on the GTN and/or expensive as a result.

I started playing at launch.

Yeah but as you said yourself, you had cybertech. A lot of people didn't (likely because they didn't know about gearing droids), so they would have to either buy it from the GTN or hope for the super rare droid gear drops. The pieces on the GTN were either hard to find or really expensive.

Personally, I also had cybertech but it was *still* a pain to gear the droids especially when I hit that story point for the Jedi Knight and wasn't expecting to have to use T7 all of a sudden. It's not like I could stop in the middle of the mission to go farm mats to make gear ... on my other character who was the cybertech. They did add that puzzle in that gave you basic droid gear but that puzzle was entirely miss-able and skippable (and also got bugged at one point).

I wasn't saying you didn't I said many other players weren't as fortunate/lucky as you because they didn't choose Cybertech or choose to keep up with gearing droid comps.

Ever since launch many people would run around with whatever comp was their healer, who they thought was coolest, or their love interest. So for most Jedi Knights you saw Doc, Scourge, and Kira as people's companions. Not a lot of people were rocking T7 unless they were early game and even fewer people used Rusk.

If you saw a JK running around with Rusk chances are it was because they just got him and then immediately dropped him one class mission later when getting Scourge. "Oh yeah, I'm gonna keep this Republic Trooper as my companion now that I've got a Sith Lord. :p

Edited by Darth-Obvious

I wasn't saying you didn't I said many other players weren't as fortunate/lucky as you because they didn't choose Cybertech or choose to keep up with gearing droid comps.

Ever since launch many people as far as companions go would run around with whatever comp was their healer, who they thought was coolest, or their love interest. So for most Jedi Knights you saw Doc, Scourge, and Kira as people's companions. Not a lot of people were rocking T7 unless they were early game and even fewer people used Rusk. If you saw a JK running around with Rusk chances are it was because they just got him and then immediately dropped him one class mission later when getting Scourge. "Oh yeah, I'm gonna keep this Republic Trooper as my companion now that I've got a Sith Lord. :p

Ignoring gearing issues, if I *had* to choose between T7 and Scourge, I would choose T7. But, you are correct, if I *had* to choose between Rusk and Scourge, I would choose Scourge. :p

Ignoring gearing issues, if I *had* to choose between T7 and Scourge, I would choose T7. But, you are correct, if I *had* to choose between Rusk and Scourge, I would choose Scourge. :p

And if I had to choose between Skadge and a box of rocks I would be making a rock garden.

Ever since launch many people would run around with whatever comp was their healer, who they thought was coolest, or their love interest. So for most Jedi Knights you saw Doc, Scourge, and Kira as people's companions. Not a lot of people were rocking T7 unless they were early game and even fewer people used Rusk.

If you saw a JK running around with Rusk chances are it was because they just got him and then immediately dropped him one class mission later when getting Scourge. "Oh yeah, I'm gonna keep this Republic Trooper as my companion now that I've got a Sith Lord. :p

Today's approach is a lot better. My main toon has over 35 companions and depending on my mood I'll just grab one and go. I can sit there all day playing Barbie dolls (manly men: They're called ACTION FIGURES!) and dress them up however with my lovely cartel market outfit and not give a flying frog's foot what their stats are because they don't have any other than influence.

The most versatile of all possible worlds when it comes to comps, and people want to trap themselves into a gearing nightmare? Their choice.

Not mine. Massive nay to gearing companions.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Today's approach is a lot better. My main toon has over 35 companions and depending on my mood I'll just grab one and go. I can sit there all day playing Barbie dolls (manly men: They're called ACTION FIGURES!) and dress them up however with my lovely cartel market outfit and not give a flying frog's foot what their stats are because they don't have any other than influence.

The most versatile of all possible worlds when it comes to comps, and people want to trap themselves into a gearing nightmare? They're choice.

Not mine. Massive nay to gearing companions.

I would use more companions if influence was legacy-wide instead of character-specific because as it stands now I pretty much only invest in rasing one comp's influence per character/alt due to the amount of time and/or cost required in getting them to max rank.

Not sure if the OP meant this as a joke?

It was bad - real bad when you had to get companion influence up AND manage gear for them also. Not forgetting they only had one role each then.

No thanks not wanting those days back.

I would use more companions if influence was legacy-wide instead of character-specific because as it stands now I pretty much only invest in rasing one comp's influence per character/alt due to the amount of time and/or cost required in getting them to max rank.

I craft, so I usually get 4 to 6 companions on each of my main crafter alts to 50 to speed things up a bit. Compendiums that instantly get a comp to 50 just cost IIRC 3 mil and a dark project on fleet.

Edited by xordevoreaux

I craft, so I usually get 4 to 6 companions on each of my main crafter alts to 50 to speed things up a bit. Compendiums that instantly get a comp to 50 just cost IIRC 3 mil and a dark project on fleet.

4.25 million and 3 Dark Projects, but certainly worth the price to save on an RSI.