Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

On topic: Pets are well and good, but perhaps flowers and/or sweets in the game as well? And before someone says something, yes, guys can enjoy getting flowers too.;)[/color]

Manly flowers!

Like, plants that smoke and get into fights!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be said that adding code to make my skills flash when cool down is over wasn't 'necessary', but they did it anyway.

Yes, they did. I personally wouldn't have.

Romance and flirts aren't critical path. BW can do anything they want to with them.

It's an MMO. Nothing is 'critical path'. You can make a character and then hang around at the starting point and RP if you really want. And yes, BW:A can ddo whatever they like withr omance. They can do whatever they like with anything. This isn't a democracy. It's their game. We're just paying guests.

What is disturbing isn't the fact that people disagree. What is disturbing is the fact that even though I support homosexual romnace arcs and flirting in the game 100% but the fact that I want options on how it is displayed, if at all causes folks to implode and explode.

Are you folks saying that this thread can only be posted in if there is 100% agreement?

Are you saying people can't disagree with a suggestion they find undesirable?

Is asking for the removal of all flirt and romance options offensive?

Just checking... guess I'll know if my post remains.

I don't have any issue with it because you are treating OGRA=SGRA and not making a distinction between the 2 of them. Is it needed? no but I wouldn't be offended by it. What people like me just want is to be treated the same and not have our lifestyles singled out and the need for a toggle because its different. I am all for making adjustments like moving all flirts off the right side of the wheel and placing it on the left so that everyone that doesn't want to choose a flirt option can have access to all three of the others.

I have posted this before I want as many on wheel options to be in game as possible the more the better. I want things to be treated the same that is all. I want you to have on your wheel when talking to someone of the same gender to have every option that you have now. I am not going to say what your outlook is on GLBT issues I do not know but what people are asking is that when this is implemented is that we are just treated the same way as hetro people are now. If it makes you uncomfortable I am sorry, If it breaks immersion I am sorry.

All alot of us are asking for is to be treated the same and we are not trying to shove it in your faces. I am lucky I can enjoy this game by playing the gender I want and get access to at least half of the people I want to but I know there is others that have their characters sitting in cantinas stuck because all they want to do is experience the game with the gender they picked and the companions they find fun.

And I do not mean the same copy paste message that gets thrown onto every topic that discusses this, I mean no offense to the admins but a bit of clarification would be nice.

Things to clarify:

1 - A rough eta on same sex relationships (flirting ect) Were not after a nailed down etched in stone, be all end all date, Just a rough idea. A week/Month maybe 3 ect ?

2 - Those that happen to pick the "wrong" gender at creation are currently missing out with regards to there story arc, In my example Female sentinel missing out with Kira. There are 2 ways I see to fix this.

2a - Re-write those sections to include the same options for both genders and allow players already past to "Redo" there conversations. (Bit difficult and a lot of reworking)

2b - Create equivalent content for same gender romance at level 50 (or once the CURRENT story arc is finished) So by the end of it EVERYONE has had the same options REGARDLESS of the gender they chose.

3 - This is more of a given I think, but will there be more customization options for your companions. For example something to just change your companions hair color or skin tone. (I say its a given because its something so obvious that can be expanded upon and require very little work)

These are the questions to the Developers.

My question to the forum baring in mind we already know more companions are coming with these options enabled already.

Witch do you prefer option 2a or option 2b ?

Ps - Due to threads being closed due to flame wars ect, please keep it civil and just ignore/report those that attempt to start one, And please stay on topic. I will update a count of witch is preferred every 2 days or so. (WTB poll option)

I think it should be left up to the writers on which companions are straight / gay / bi .... I don't think every companion should be bi which is what your suggesting.... The writers created them with their personality so they should decide which way they lean.

I'm hoping with future companions the writers / devs add more depth to them, I would even like to see some companions romance options be based on alignment faction.... A companion who hates the sith should not hook up with someone who is full on dark side..

Edited by Monoth

I think it should be left up to the writers on which characters are straight / gay / bi .... I don't think every companion should be bi which is what your suggesting.... The writers created them with their personality so they should decide which way the lean.

I'm hoping with future companions the writers / devs add more depth to them, I would even like to see some companions romance options be based on alignment faction.... A companion who hates the sith should not hook up with someone who is full on dark side..

I do agree the bit about the whole alignment idea behind the romance. I'm still a favor of hero-sexuality, but I do see your point.

On that note, I'm off to bed(night shift and all). See you all tonight, in the next thread redirect. We're over 100 pages, so I'm sure it's about that time.

Edited by natashina

I'm strongly in favour of hero-sexualism. I agree that the writers have probably got sexualities in mind but the problem with following that is the staggering number of companions they'd need to add to cover all sexuality bases for each class and each faction.

Hero-sexualism removes that problem. That way we, the players, decide whom we do and don't see as gay, bi or straight, and it means they don't have to add twenty-odd romanceable companions just to keep all bases covered.

That would be awesome and adorable.

On another note, if they ever allowed one to purchase a real stuffed tauntaun that came with an in-game code for a mini-pet... I totally would.

You can get TaunTaun sleeping bags, not that I've been looking or anything :cool:

I think it should be left up to the writers on which companions are straight / gay / bi .... I don't think every companion should be bi which is what your suggesting.... The writers created them with their personality so they should decide which way they lean.

Personality and sexual orientation have nothing to do with each other. The writers have control over their personality, yes, but they've given us the choice over their skin color, hair and facial features to facilitate a more pleasing appearance. So they do want us to make them our own, as well, and I believe that sexuality should be part of that.

More options are always welcome. For future companions I'm absolutely open to a more diverse field with exclusive orientations as well, but for a timely and fair implementation of SGRAs it's not practical. Changing all the currently romanceable companions so that they are available for all genders is still the best way to fix what is currently broken. We can add more stuff once that's taken care of.

Oh heavens knows I would like to see that but I just have to point out one lil area of the forums at what headaches it would cause. Go to the Sith warrior forums and look up Jaessa romance and why only the dark side of her is romancable. If one of the characters is really really fun and limited while another preference is a perceived stick in the mud the rage on that posting will make this look like a match in a rainstorm compared to the firestorm that would be.

And what would be worse if there was lets say a lesbian character that is totally fun and interesting. That makes the straight option look dull that is going to direct anger in a bad way at that. We don't need more of that.

It's an MMO. Nothing is 'critical path'. You can make a character and then hang around at the starting point and RP if you really want. And yes, BW:A can ddo whatever they like withr omance. They can do whatever they like with anything. This isn't a democracy. It's their game. We're just paying guests.

Are you saying people can't disagree with a suggestion they find undesirable?

General game play bug fixes, ability to level, end game content, PvP and crafting are critical path, or seem to be because that is how BW has been setting their priorities. Even game play bugs as associated with companion affection take a back seat to those, which is more than likely why they haven't started working on homosexual romance arcs and flirting enough to talk about it yet.

Obviously, we can disagree. Also obviously, we do on the specifics of the way that BW might implement it going forward.

What has also become very obvious is that for what ever reason, this issue is being used by folks to push a very specific social agenda, which is every bit as distasteful as those who do not want the feature implemented at all for the opposing view points of those same social issues.

Hero-sexualism removes that problem. That way we, the players, decide whom we do and don't see as gay, bi or straight, and it means they don't have to add twenty-odd romanceable companions just to keep all bases covered.

I disagree that they'd have to add that many. Only one or two per storyline with a few current rewrites would still cover all the bases.

I favor story over Hero-Sexualism, and for that reason I do hope the devs keep the personality of a character more important than what a player wants their sexuality to be. Doc, for example, keeps talking about all the women he wooed, scandals he's been a part of, and how he looks forward to all the women that fall for him since he's famous. Or saved their lives. That to me claims a very heterosexual personality. I want s/s relationships, but I still want Doc to stay Doc.

That being said, I'm not against Hero-Sexuality. I just think it's a poor decision. Falls in the "Yeah, that's good, but you could have done better" department. And BioWare has proven to me that they do set sexuality better than Hero-Sexuality. Mass Effect and Dragon Age 1 felt a lot more convincing romance-wise than Dragon Age 2, for example.

Oh heavens knows I would like to see that but I just have to point out one lil area of the forums at what headaches it would cause. Go to the Sith warrior forums and look up Jaessa romance and why only the dark side of her is romancable. If one of the characters is really really fun and limited while another preference is a perceived stick in the mud the rage on that posting will make this look like a match in a rainstorm compared to the firestorm that would be.

I really don't think that forum rage should be a drive for any content. There's a lot of forum rage about why can't female shepard be with Tali, too - there will always be forum rage about any decision made, ever.

A little closer on-topic: I really think they should add a ceremony cutscene for when you do the whole marriage thing with any companion, o/s and s/s.

Edited by Elblai

I'm strongly in favour of hero-sexualism. I agree that the writers have probably got sexualities in mind but the problem with following that is the staggering number of companions they'd need to add to cover all sexuality bases for each class and each faction.

One of the most disappointing aspects of previous BW implementations of romance arks was how 'shallow' they were. They were absolutely gender neutral, with the NPC not caring one way or another and even the way they address the player character was in gender neutral terms.

I'd rather see much more depth.

why do they have to keep all bases covered?

In other Bioware games there are companions that are un-romanceable, some that are bi and some that are purely straight... if you don't like the selection then you just don't do the romance part of the game, thats how all of Bioware games are...

Personally I wouldn't have an issue with a purely hot lesbian companion I couldn't romance as a male toon, it actually adds realism to the RP....

I don't know why people want to keep watering down this game by removing any depth it might of had... It's like the whole companion consequence system being removed, that gutted the whole companion system IMO... all because certain players would QQ if they regretted letting a companion get killed or leave because of faction alignment...

Anyways I doubt you guys will get "Hero Sexuality" given Bioware has not done it in any of their other games.... Sexuality is always based on what the writers create in order to give some depth to that character...

Edited by Monoth

General game play bug fixes, ability to level, end game content, PvP and crafting are critical path, or seem to be because that is how BW has been setting their priorities. Even game play bugs as associated with companion affection take a back seat to those, which is more than likely why they haven't started working on homosexual romance arcs and flirting enough to talk about it yet.

I agree, that probably is why it hasn't been addressed yet. Which is fine with me, I just wish they'd communicate with us a little.

Obviously, we can disagree. Also obviously, we do on the specifics of the way that BW might implement it going forward.

Which is all well and good. People should be able to disagree.

What has also become very obvious is that for what ever reason, this issue is being used by folks to push a very specific social agenda, which is every bit as distasteful as those who do not want the feature implemented at all for the opposing view points of those same social issues.

See, that's all speculative, and it's another matter we disagree on. I'm not pushing any agenda myself, I simply want same sex flirts and see no conclusively convincing reason why a toggle should be implemented. Which is all fine and dandy but quite useless as I'm not a person who actually has any say in how the features will be implemented. And the people who do have a say (to whit: the developers) aren't talking to us.

In regards to people who don't want it implemented at all... Well, the feature is coming so I'm afraid it doesn't matter if you want it in or not. Only implementation is really in question.

And in all honesty I agree that people should be able to show support for a toggle. I disagree with it and oppose it but that doesn't mean I don't support your desire to voice your wish for it. What bugs me is that this discussion always devolves into name-calling, assumption and general hostility. That's why I think the pro-toggle thread should have stayed open.

Okies for starters you have no idea as nor do i if they are or are not currently working on them. For all we know they may be part of 1.2 or they may not happen till after the next expansion. Until someone releases info we don't know, don't pretend you do know.

The only agenda alot of against a toggle do have is to be treated the same. Status quo is there is no filter, no toggle as of now. Why does there need to be a filter once SGRA's are introduced? We are not the one with a social agenda, we just want to be treated the same and to enjoy the game like you do.

One of the most disappointing aspects of previous BW implementations of romance arks was how 'shallow' they were. They were absolutely gender neutral, with the NPC not caring one way or another and even the way they address the player character was in gender neutral terms.

I didn't think too much of the romance arcs in Mass Effect (the original), I admit. Loved the DAO and DA2 implementations of them, though. They seemed quite fleshed out, I didn't find them shallow at all. That they were gender neutral really didn't bother me - though I know it bothered many.

It's almost time (I hope) for this weeks Q&A report. Here is hoping for a little tidbit. Prolly not given the track record but lets think positive! With ME3 out in a couple days including a possible M/M Shepard now would be the perfect time to let slip some details or even just a notice that it's nearing completion.

Wow, I'm gone a few hours and now there's 10 pages of flames over the toggle, though I think it's died down somewhat now...

In the future, I recommend referring anyone trying to bring it up to the locked thread(here) and the thread on a toggle for all flirt prompts(here). Kindly ask them to read through those and as well as pages 80-100 of this thread and if they feel they still have something *constructive* to add to the discussion to post it then, and only then(again be kind though). If they refuse to listen then just don't respond to them...

These threads are getting mucked up in cyclical arguments that wont end any other way, we don't want them locked.

Edited by emusan

why do they have to keep all bases covered?

So people have equal opportunity to pursue some kind of relationship in-game. Whether they cover those bases by using hero-sexuality or implementing more companions with defined sexualities they still need to keep people satisfied.

Personally I wouldn't have an issue with a purely hot lesbian companion I couldn't romance as a male toon, it actually adds realism to the RP....

Okay, and I agree, it'd add more realism to the game. But for every class to have equal chance to pursue a heterosexual and homosexual (and, potentially, bisexual) relationship there needs to be a companion available for each of those options.

Here's the problem with set sexuality. Even if you take bisexuality out you need a heterosexual male, heterosexual female, homosexual male and homosexual female for every class in the game, for both factions. That means four per class. 16 per faction. 32 for the whole game. And that's only romanceable companions. Then there's all the unromanceable ones.

To add to that every time they add romanceable companions to the game they'd either have to pick and choose who gets the gay, who gets the hetero, or they'd need to add another 32 companions to the game.

Set sexuality is more realistic, I agree, but from a development point of view it means far, far more work.

And not just more work, but more money. Voice actors, from what I understand, aren't paid by the hour but by the completed project. With hero-sexuality they can have the same voice actor say a few extra lines. With set sexuality they have to hire all new voice actors and pay them for the projects they do. Realism is great but I'd prefer the company to not go bankrupt trying to cater for it.

all because certain players would QQ if they regretted letting a companion get killed or leave because of faction alignment...

I do think we should be able to kill or evict companions, personally. I can think of a few I'd get rid of.

Anyways I doubt you guys will get "Hero Sexuality" given Bioware has not done it in any of their other games.... Sexuality is always based on what the writers create in order to give some depth to that character...

Hero-sexuality was one of the primary relationship features of Dragon Age 2, actually. Merrill, for example, doesn't express any kind of sexuality at all until you start flirting with her.

Funny, I liked that there wasn't much difference in the way they treated male or female characters, especially in DA2. You're wrong about them being completely gender neutral though. I know that both Fenris and Anders make explicit statements about the gender of each Hawke who romances them.

Who says there can't be depth without being completely gendered though? You know, we're all people - I'd much rather they focus on things I've done as the player character, choices I've made in the story, my identity as a hero of the galaxy and my class, then them making a big deal about my characters' bits.

Did a consensis ever get reached on a toggle function? Atleast some people could leave it out of thier game.

I don't think there will ever be a consensus, those that want it will always want it and those that don't wont. It's up to bioware at this point, and given how they've treated such content in the past it is not likely to happen.

lol thread went well over 1000 posts... I wonder when it will be moved to a new one.

Edited by emusan