need to post a official sticky about this or a post

hargrave

1. Put pvp bases on different planets. This will thin out the base camping and make pvp more fun both sides (the reps especially)

2. We need base bosses and the ability to capture bases (from the inside) base bosses need to have like 120k morale (the base boss should drop champ bags and or tokens.You can even have a daily of taking bases like this

retake ilum

Capture and kill ilum base bosses (0/10)

bonus kill attacking/defending players inside the base (0/50)

3. Large scale fights I.E gabes 100vs100 comment. Ilum is way to laggy and low fps (this is bieng worked on as far as i know}

I had similar ideas. This sort of idea worked in Aion while I played for a handful of months from launch.

The legacy system is going to piss off people more then its going to be positive. Thier not looking at long term solutions for it

I dont know i have bad feeling about all this but my guy tells me 1.2 will be worse then 1.1. Just wait till everyone has force choke and pureblood sith jedis lolz. Sigh...to say the least

I think you're not understanding how the legacy system is going to work for that. You'll only have access to those Legacy abilities during Heroic Moment, meaning you'd need to have a companion out with you. You probably won't be doing much worthwhile PVP when running around with your companion.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you missed my point. In the software world you have a designer. And then you have a developer. Two different people/teams.

The game designer says, "Make an immersive pvp experience that has the following elements."

The game developer codes and says, "Here you go, I hope you like it."

The game player says, "Ilum failed miserably and you should fire your game designers and developers. You should have also chosen a more robust software engine. Hasta la vista."

Any designer who is that hands off to the entire development process is a TERRIBLE designer and should be fired on the spot.

Anyone who would assume so has a critical flaw - that they know what they're doing. That they have the COMPETENCE to fix it. They created a great single player game with good story integration and multiplayer elements but it's clear when it comes to the MMO components they are inexperienced and inept.

World PvP was built into the fabric of the game itself in other MMOs like WoW. It's not in TOR, so they slapped on a field in a level 50 zone and called it open world PvP. That's not open world PvP. It will never be.

yeah rofl I don't understand why people ever even called Ilum open world pvp? What???

Ilum is being deprecated in Game Update 1.2. The Open World PvP area on Ilum will still be present in 1.2, but rewards previously gained in Ilum will be available in Warzones and that's where we expect the bulk of PvP to take place for now.

As we said during the Guild Summit, the PvP team is 'going back to the drawing board' with Ilum. That means they want to rework it to be fun and engaging. We accept there are issues with the current design and want to ensure that what we end up with is enjoyable for PvP fans. We have no ETA on when a redesigned Ilum might be available, but when we do have more news, we'll share it.

The PvP team definitely monitors these Forums and would love to see constructive feedback on Open World PvP and how you feel it could be improved. They have their own ideas, of course, and they've read many of the posts here but more feedback is always welcome.

Okay Stephen, here is my suggestions for improving Ilum.

First I'm going to give a breakdown of what open world PVP is and what are the inherent flaws with it:

Open World PVP is basically when each faction may attack the other.

An open world PVP zone is a zone specifically with incentives to cause that to occur.

Now, there is an inherent flaw in open world PVP in that a numerical faction imbalance has a deep and nasty impact if two groups come to blows, the larger side will always win. If objectives are there to be taken that don't require direct player conflict then the reward has to come from holding it rather than taking it, if there is incentive to take it, but then no incentive to hold it, then people will trade it off.

These are, unfortunately, the two mistakes you made in open world PVP on Ilum. The first build was based around objectives with incentives only being given to taking, rather than holding, the objective. The second build was based around killing enemy players which provided too large of an advantage to the faction with the higher population.

Thus the zone cannot be based around kill numbers but must be based around an objective. This objective must be something that grants a reward for being held that is tangible enough that it lures others into the zone. This objective must also be complicated enough to hold that it isn't simply a numbers game with the overpopulated realm being able to accomplish it.

How do you do this? That is the difficult part of this.

A game known as Dark Age of Camelot managed this by giving each of the three realms a "relic" holding these "relics" each gave a different bonus to the realm (in PVP and PVE) that held it. The relic forts were protected by extremely powerful NPCs, however these NPC's could be weakened by claiming and holding a number of lesser fortresses in the zone. Because the NPCs were so powerful the lower population realm could often defend against superior numbers by either aiding at the main battle or retaking lesser forts while the larger population realm was attacking the relic fort.

This forced the higher population force to leave defenders at the numerous smaller forts in the zone, which lessened the numbers that could hit the relic fort. This served to actually spread their numbers significantly enough that the lesser realm could actually field nearly equal numbers at the relic fort if the enemy spread their numbers to protect the minor forts.

This, in my opinion, is the most elegant solution to the current issue.

In fact we can look to "Return of the Jedi" for a possible scenario:

In Return of the Jedi the Death Star was protected by a shield generator. This shield generator was powerful enough to protect the Death Star from being attacked. So a group had to take out the shield generator to make the Death Star vulnerable.

If we want to keep the battle focused on Ilum I would do something similar.

My Idea:

On the planet of Ilum an ancient Jedi stronghold has been unearthed. It is protected by a very powerful force of ancient Rakatan droids. These droids are powered by a series of six recently discovered Rakatan energy stations. A faction may defeat these droids and claim the stations which weaken the droids at the stronghold.

The stronghold can be seized by either faction by defeating the command droid. The main computer can then be reprogrammed to recognize that faction as "friendlies" and the other faction as "enemies." At that point holding the power stations strengthens the defenses for the currently holding faction.

Inside the stronghold are a number of powerful objects. The first is a series of five special crystal synthesizers. These special crystals degrade quickly however so new crystals must be farmed every 24 hours. These crystals are the best crystals in the game for both PVP and PVE. (These crystals are available in blue, green, red, purple, and white.) These crystals provide a stat bonus of +51 but only last for 24 hours.

On top of that holding this stronghold increases all valor, experience, and credits gained by 15% to all members of the holding faction.

agreed id like to add if we had pvp bases on other planets that are the "neutral planets" it would thin out the camping and give reps a place to go other then bieng camped in ilum 24/7. I would rather go check out other pvp bases elsewhere besides bieng an imp and watching 50 plus imps camp 15 or so reps for 5 minutes or less and leave ilum out of boredom with no where to go besides ilum.

Okay Stephen, here is my suggestions for improving Ilum.

First I'm going to give a breakdown of what open world PVP is and what are the inherent flaws with it:

Open World PVP is basically when each faction may attack the other.

An open world PVP zone is a zone specifically with incentives to cause that to occur.

Now, there is an inherent flaw in open world PVP in that a numerical faction imbalance has a deep and nasty impact if two groups come to blows, the larger side will always win. If objectives are there to be taken that don't require direct player conflict then the reward has to come from holding it rather than taking it, if there is incentive to take it, but then no incentive to hold it, then people will trade it off.

These are, unfortunately, the two mistakes you made in open world PVP on Ilum. The first build was based around objectives with incentives only being given to taking, rather than holding, the objective. The second build was based around killing enemy players which provided too large of an advantage to the faction with the higher population.

Thus the zone cannot be based around kill numbers but must be based around an objective. This objective must be something that grants a reward for being held that is tangible enough that it lures others into the zone. This objective must also be complicated enough to hold that it isn't simply a numbers game with the overpopulated realm being able to accomplish it.

How do you do this? That is the difficult part of this.

A game known as Dark Age of Camelot managed this by giving each of the three realms a "relic" holding these "relics" each gave a different bonus to the realm (in PVP and PVE) that held it. The relic forts were protected by extremely powerful NPCs, however these NPC's could be weakened by claiming and holding a number of lesser fortresses in the zone. Because the NPCs were so powerful the lower population realm could often defend against superior numbers by either aiding at the main battle or retaking lesser forts while the larger population realm was attacking the relic fort.

This forced the higher population force to leave defenders at the numerous smaller forts in the zone, which lessened the numbers that could hit the relic fort. This served to actually spread their numbers significantly enough that the lesser realm could actually field nearly equal numbers at the relic fort if the enemy spread their numbers to protect the minor forts.

This, in my opinion, is the most elegant solution to the current issue.

In fact we can look to "Return of the Jedi" for a possible scenario:

In Return of the Jedi the Death Star was protected by a shield generator. This shield generator was powerful enough to protect the Death Star from being attacked. So a group had to take out the shield generator to make the Death Star vulnerable.

If we want to keep the battle focused on Ilum I would do something similar.

My Idea:

On the planet of Ilum an ancient Jedi stronghold has been unearthed. It is protected by a very powerful force of ancient Rakatan droids. These droids are powered by a series of six recently discovered Rakatan energy stations. A faction may defeat these droids and claim the stations which weaken the droids at the stronghold.

The stronghold can be seized by either faction by defeating the command droid. The main computer can then be reprogrammed to recognize that faction as "friendlies" and the other faction as "enemies." At that point holding the power stations strengthens the defenses for the currently holding faction.

Inside the stronghold are a number of powerful objects. The first is a series of five special crystal synthesizers. These special crystals degrade quickly however so new crystals must be farmed every 24 hours. These crystals are the best crystals in the game for both PVP and PVE. (These crystals are available in blue, green, red, purple, and white.) These crystals provide a stat bonus of +51 but only last for 24 hours.

On top of that holding this stronghold increases all valor, experience, and credits gained by 15% to all members of the holding faction.

To re-animate ilum:

1) make PvP area 3 times less in size;

2) make 3 active points instead of 5 (bases + center);

3) make game engine less laggy (I've noticed there is some type of cache after ilum on my computer which make game stuttering even after escaping ilum for 10-20 minutes);

4) add 10-20 merc commendation per player kill;

5) force your developers to actually play the game for 1-3 hours daily - I bet it will be much less sucky in no time.

Edited by Pashgan

i dont think it should be smaller but i wish thier was an option in preferences to turn off those stupid announcements that cause lags spikes. That option would help with lag spikes for me anyways

To re-animate ilum:

1) make PvP area 3 times less in size;

2) make 3 active points instead of 5 (bases + center);

3) make game engine less laggy (I've noticed there is some type of cache after ilum on my computer which make game stuttering even after escaping ilum for 10-20 minutes);

4) add 10-20 merc commendation per player kill;

5) force your developers to actually play the game for 1-3 hours daily - I bet it will be much less sucky in no time.

you cant same faction open world pvp and even if they wanted to we have outlaws den already.

The faction imbalance is all about wookies/alien races pvp is paying for that oversight. They claim it would cost to much to make wookies playable and no one would relate to playing as a wookie LOL. I wish thier was a poll about how many people would play wookies if they could. That was a huge screw up and its whats causing the faction imbalance i think. They could improve the storylines for rep side but even still

The legacy system is going to piss off people more then its going to be positive. Thier not looking at long term solutions for it

Everyone is already ************ about same faction warzones already and were supose to go this way for months? On top of it were getting a new one that we still cant choose...

I dont know i have bad feeling about all this but my guy tells me 1.2 will be worse then 1.1. Just wait till everyone has force choke and pureblood sith jedis lolz. Sigh...to say the least

You are blaming the whole faction imbalance thing on Wookiees? wow

You want some good (or even just decent) open world pvp ideas?

Take a look at what SWG had towards the end of its career. 3 static pvp bases on 3 different planets. Crossing the imaginary line flagged you for pvp and you entered the base. This mechanic will work well on pve servers too because ppl are willingly flagging themselves by crossing. No forced pvp for those who dont want it.

If your faction controlled it you could go into the base and get some cool rewards like damage boosts and armor increase buffs and heal stim. At a certain point, if your faction held the base long enough, the rewards would upgrade. Those rewards would be upgraded and new rewards also became available. That kinda thing made me want to go to a pvp base and hang out in it.

Now, on the other hand, if the base wasnt controlled by your faction. You had to interact with 4 separate terminals at the base to flip it. All four had to be controlled before the base finally switched over to your faction.

Add some static pvp bases in to all mixed faction planets (maybe add a lvl requirement and even a valor requirement to enter on them if ud like) where ppl could go and pvp and reap some benefits.

Adding multiple bases in with lvl requirements and valor requirements would spread out the population and wouldnt be such a "who's got more numbers" kind of fight. If that wasnt enough, put a cap on the zone itself. If you would add multiple lvl 50 pvp bases ppl could just go to a different one if that one was full.

Now the rewards dont even need to be anything new. Put a normal pvp vendor down there if you want. Make everything on it like 15% cheaper if your faction holds the base compared to the SAME pvp vendor on the fleet next to the terminals.

I sure as hell would go and pvp at the bases for the chance to get a discount on stuff i already buy. Especially since now you are selling champion and battlemaster coms on the vendors.

Anyways, just a long winded rant/suggestion,

no im blaming it on not having wookies/alien races as playable rep races. If they were to put wookies/alien races rodians you name it would balance it out. Like i said the other issue is the rep storylines are boring as hell to.

You are blaming the whole faction imbalance thing on Wookiees? wow

we dont need more warzones if we need anything related to warzones its to be able to choose the one we want.Ilum was supose to be 100vs100 according to gabe what he said at pax. I dont think that will happen though with this engine anyways

Ilum is being deprecated in Game Update 1.2. The Open World PvP area on Ilum will still be present in 1.2, but rewards previously gained in Ilum will be available in Warzones and that's where we expect the bulk of PvP to take place for now.

As we said during the Guild Summit, the PvP team is 'going back to the drawing board' with Ilum. That means they want to rework it to be fun and engaging. We accept there are issues with the current design and want to ensure that what we end up with is enjoyable for PvP fans. We have no ETA on when a redesigned Ilum might be available, but when we do have more news, we'll share it.

The PvP team definitely monitors these Forums and would love to see constructive feedback on Open World PvP and how you feel it could be improved. They have their own ideas, of course, and they've read many of the posts here but more feedback is always welcome.

You hired some of the old Warhammer development staff didn't you? It might have taken those guys a year to figure out how to do it right the first time around, but as I recall they developed a working combat-active-collision system for massive open world PvP (or RvR) where their servers could handle 100+ vs 100+ battles in fairly small spaces.

Take some of their input to heart, this may be a very different game, but they designed a working system that was very fun and challenging in open world PvP, and I've never seen another game come close to their server stability (12 months after launch) in a 100+ vs 100+ battle at a single objective.

Working siege engines, multiple stages to capturing an objective that required players working together, well thought out terrain & structural advantages, and many elements that played into their combat-active-collision system, as well as a boss to kill in order to cap an objective, and a real reward for the capture. (not some cheesy little buff and valor bonus per kill which is now rendered far more meager)

If you're planning on taking it back to the drawing board then take your time and do it right, make something players will remember long after your game is gone.(not to say that'll be any time soon) I know you've got the right staff for the job, you just need to stop listening to players who don't have the slightest idea what they want in a game. (they say they do, but you'll never please them)

Good luck,

-Dorrsk Eighty'One

Edited by Kyrtin

Unfortunately, I think the problem with "open world" pvp in this game is going to much more difficult to fix then many people think...because it's not an open world game structure to begin with. Look at the way that players are "railed" through the gauntlet of planets...where every planet is strictly designed for certain levels only. After your finished your missions on one planet, there's really very little reason to go back once you hit 50. Once you hit 50 there's only Ilum and instanced playing (WZs, ops, etc.). This is basically a single person game plopped into an MMO environment...but I think there's been plenty of threads on this so I won't go into this issue specifically.

Let's take the early version of SWG as a contrast exercise...they basically built a true open universe where there were things to do on all planets all the time...there were reasons other than missions to go to other worlds even at maxed levels (player cities, mining resources, collecting hide, etc.). Thus players of maxed levels were found everywhere, all the time, which had the effect of opening up the universe by spreading the population throughout all planets. Add to this the player city bases, then later the various open pvp zones spread throughout different planets, and you could find good pvp on any particular planet at any particular time.

The problem with SWTOR is that they took the phrase "open world pvp" too literally...basically confining open pvp to just one world, lol. Sure you could get on a pvp server (as I have) and you are overt in most of the planets...but the problem is that most of the end game population is bottled up on Ilum and there are no compelling reasons to spread them out.

The problem is not that Ilum failed the pvp community...it failed the whole end game community. And in order to fix that they would have to "open up" each world and give them good reasons for players to be all over the place all the time. But given the highly controlled nature of each world...the way even the geography "rails" players...I think it will be very hard for anyone to come up with viable ideas of getting players to planets that they have finished already. For example, even if the devs decided to implement player housing, cities, etc., the geography just won't allow for this.

Anyways, this is kind of a sad realization, given that this game could have had such potential if they had gone about designing the planets and geography in a different way...but I believe that they have gone too far beyond the event horizon to be able to pull back and redesign things so that it would be a true open universe. As it stands now, it is still a fun game on a part time basis...but it will never reach the level of player absorption (where you really feel that you are living in that universe) that SWG did. I certainly don't see myself playing this game for as many years continuously as I did SWG.

I have no problem having a Server versus Server Scenario, even if it means inluding both fations on one server with a ranked structure. It would appear that this scenario, which has been used before in other games, and will be in a soon-to-be-released competing title, has proven successful many times. If it is enjoyable it is viable, even though it diesn't fit the Pubs vs. Imps storyline.

Huttball allows same faction, as it is considered a sport and not a storyline WZ, but even the upcoming WZ Novare Coast will allow for same faction PvP. I like the concept of a server wide battle even if it does through the story line out the window, just to keep PvP in play.

Was time that BW Devs finnaly shown signs of learning "The Lesson" the hard way...

...The same lesson some nostalgic posters should learn.

We all remember PvP paradigms that were fun but the problem is that the mist of nostalgy was preventing us to see what has changed over time (I managed to shake off "The mist" at some point during AoC Battlegrounds "PvP" evolution)...

...The fatal mistake BW has made on SWTOR is luring here the PvP Grinders that have the power to bias how PvP engagements evolve from competition between players to maximized resource farming sessions.

Someone seems to have finnally taken into account the man-hours spent designing new PvP environments and then proceed to add the man-hours spent correcting them because some players, that claim are here for competition, manage to twist the whole environment into farming sessions that has nothing to do with PvP.

This "overbudget" of man-hours is what it's forcing BW to concentrate the resources... They are trying to save WZs by doing exactly what they tried up to 4 times on Ilum, to encourage players to PvP instead of farming. That's why they have tried to protect WZ system by reducing to the absolute minimum the control over how/which matches happen, or why they have to cap medal farming to a level that every1 just playing to get the goals completed will achieve naturarly... All of this effort so the PvP Grinder cannot show others how twisting the event results in faster grinding. I wonder if "The Lesson" will be used to prevent PvP Grinder "Dreamteams" to grind to the top ranks to get ranked gear ASAP, forcing others to mimic their FOTM recipes.

I appreciate the effort, and the fact that they learned "The Lesson" fast compared to other Game Studios, but I know in advance it's doomed... The only long term solution is to target the PvP Grinders and modify the entire reward system to take them out of the game... The problem is that no PvP Dev will ever be able to justify loosing a part of the playerbase to keep the other to their investors/producers as both type of PvPers pay their subs.

Edited by ragamer

How many MMO's have you played? The devs would never say something that was not true right or withhold pertinent information from the patches notes or would they?

This made me LOL, because the person that posted this actually believes it to be true.

I'd prefer to be called a 'PVPer', not a "pvp fan", thanks.

Edited by Gonewild

This is sad, because I was one of the few people who actually really enjoyed Illum World PVP. I find most Warzones unbalanced, frustrating, stressful and annoying. I guess I'm going to have to make the switch to a strictly PVE character now. Pretty much my entire guild hates Warzones because due to a lot of small things, they just aren't fun.

Ok.

First pvp needs consequences. For there to be reward there needs to be risk. In this I ask you to consider kill looting with a 10% chance of a damaged piece of gear drop, 30% chance of a mod or 2, 30% chance of quality materials dropping and a 50% of basic materials ,dropping. When you kill someone, they go home naked. No more zerging, unless they have endless sets of gear. Remove expertise, you can keep pvp gear make it cheaper so if someone is crazy enough to use it consistently then good for them. It makes crafters happy, it makes the economy happy, it makes the victors happy (loot). It should make you happy too, as it creates a credit sink. Don't worry about RMT, that is the least concern right now.

Now you need a reason. Take the planets you have. Color each sector based on who controls it. Control 60% or so of a planets sectors you control the planet and the buff it provides. Have buffs to chance for crit on slicing on one planet (its specialty), have buffs to heals on another, etc. As long as your faction controls that planet you get the buff.

How do you control a sector? This could occur in a variety of ways. And it should occur in a variety. One way could be simply presence. If you have more peeps in a sector than the other you control it. If you do more quests (dailys) in a sector than the other faction you control it. If you touch all the pylons in a sector or control the majority thru a touch in the sector you control it (timer on these so they cant be flipped all the time). Lots of other ways too, but too numerous to list here.

You want more? because I am full of ideas. Send me a PM

Edited by hammarus

Ok.

First pvp needs consequences. For there to be reward there needs to be risk. In this I ask you to consider kill looting with a 10% chance of a damaged piece of gear drop, 30% chance of a mod or 2, 30% chance of quality materials dropping and a 50% of basic materials ,dropping. When you kill someone, they go home naked. No more zerging, unless they have endless sets of gear.

Are you serious? Do you want no one to PVP? Do you want to exacerbate the faction imbalance? All this will do is encourage people to only go looking for open world PVP when they have a giant Zerg behind them.

And now a big Thank You to Professor Walsh who did an awesome job layout out the issues with PVP and what good PVP looks like (hint: not everyone had played Dark Age of Camelot or knows what daoc stands for). By far the best post in this thread and filled with the most interesting suggestions. They may borrow heavily from another game but why fix what isn't broken? This post should be required reading for all the devs.

Ok.

First pvp needs consequences. For there to be reward there needs to be risk. In this I ask you to consider kill looting with a 10% chance of a damaged piece of gear drop, 30% chance of a mod or 2, 30% chance of quality materials dropping and a 50% of basic materials ,dropping. When you kill someone, they go home naked. No more zerging, unless they have endless sets of gear. Remove expertise, you can keep pvp gear make it cheaper so if someone is crazy enough to use it consistently then good for them. It makes crafters happy, it makes the economy happy, it makes the victors happy (loot). It should make you happy too, as it creates a credit sink. Don't worry about RMT, that is the least concern right now.

Now you need a reason. Take the planets you have. Color each sector based on who controls it. Control 60% or so of a planets sectors you control the planet and the buff it provides. Have buffs to chance for crit on slicing on one planet (its specialty), have buffs to heals on another, etc. As long as your faction controls that planet you get the buff.

How do you control a sector? This could occur in a variety of ways. And it should occur in a variety. One way could be simply presence. If you have more peeps in a sector than the other you control it. If you do more quests (dailys) in a sector than the other faction you control it. If you touch all the pylons in a sector or control the majority thru a touch in the sector you control it (timer on these so they cant be flipped all the time). Lots of other ways too, but too numerous to list here.

You want more? because I am full of ideas. Send me a PM

From an ideology standpoint I'd agree with you. From a realism standpoint I have to point out: These concepts worked out oh so well for DarkFail didn't they? People won't leave any safe zone without a zerg behind them, because when they do they can lose gear that took them potentially hours to get because some other zerg ganked them without any effort. The community turns rabid and vile, internet hate ensues, a cataclysmic cesspool is formed of the worst gamers on the internet and the whole thing implodes into failure (which of course will be blamed on the devs rather than the gamers themselves).

This experiment has happened before, a few times. It fails. Every time.

Sadly, open world PvP is not going to be very likely in this game at all except in designated places like Ilum.

Why?

Because we are unable to pick a fight.

The way open world PvP happens is that one player (or a group of players) kills another on some planet somewhere and then more join in on both sides. However, this game has far too many classes with the ability to do long lasting cc and/or stealth away. In SWTOR, you run up and hit another player and he/she either incapacitates and runs, stealths and runs or both.

Nobody dies. The fight never happens.