Character Creation Feedback Thread

JackieKo

• Dev Post

With PTS now live, you can help test Character Creation!

Please answer the following questions:

• Are you experiencing any difficulties or issues with Character Creation?
  • How is the flow of using this feature?
  • Please provide any other general feedback you have in detail.

Please note your feedback accordingly so we can track it. Feel free to answer in as much detail as possible to help us understand your thought process and line of thinking.

Thank you!

Edited by JackieKo

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like most of the character creation changes, I think with the UI closer to completion it looks really clean. My biggest problem is rotating the character. Rotating the character there compared to somewhere like on the character select screen or in the preview windows feels clunky and slow, it really shouldn't. It's arguably more important for it to be smooth in the character creation window since that's where we're actually setting the look of our character. When it's annoying to even rotate them around, you stop doing it and miss things you'd have seen otherwise.

EDIT: Need to be careful on different races that have more customization options. Cyborgs cause the rotation buttons to overlap with the skin color setting.

Seems like the opening crawl is gone too, I don't really like that. It's not the most important thing, but it's very Star Wars-y to me to have that at the start of the class stories and I don't really see the harm in having it there. Unless that's just a bug.

Edited by The-Kaitou-Kid

I like most of the character creation changes, I think with the UI closer to completion it looks really clean. My biggest problem is rotating the character. Rotating the character there compared to somewhere like on the character select screen or in the preview windows feels clunky and slow, it really shouldn't. It's arguably more important for it to be smooth in the character creation window since that's where we're actually setting the look of our character. When it's annoying to even rotate them around, you stop doing it and miss things you'd have seen otherwise.

EDIT: Need to be careful on different races that have more customization options. Cyborgs cause the rotation buttons to overlap with the skin color setting.

Seems like the opening crawl is gone too, I don't really like that. It's not the most important thing, but it's very Star Wars-y to me to have that at the start of the class stories and I don't really see the harm in having it there. Unless that's just a bug.

I agree with this post 100 %, character creation overall feels modern, smooth and sleek, apart from some bugs that was noted by OP above (mainly toggle overlaps and rotating issues), I thoroughly enjoy the new take on creation and I cannot wait to try it again with the kinks ironed out. Yes, the opening crawl is likely a bug, unless they plan to update the pre-made prologue movie for launch (the prologue movie sets up the story and should not be removed).

I will also do a more thorough run through on CTC (character creation) in a few hours time after I get some sleep in.

• Initial character creation screen republic screen came up as a female trooper for me, but with an invisible/unequiped weapon. Swapping genders fixed it.
  • Same for consular and knight. No weapon equipped for first selection, swapping genders fixed it.

• Smuggler had a weapon equipped, though from the looks of it, they stole the trooper's blaster rifle while the trooper wasn't looking (or won it in a game of Sabacc or Pazzak). Note, in subsequent swaps of origin story they were somewhat inconsistent in their ability to aquire weapons.

• Combat style text does not update with Origin story change, at least across force-tech divide. I was rather surprised to find out that gunslingers will be wielding dual sabers and embracing the combination of force powers and melee combat.

• In character creation the default miraluka female had a nice beard, about 3 days worth of stubble I'd say. Ok further investigation reveals that all texture based beards and moustaches are available, but volumetric beards are apparently not. Not sure if this is a bug or a feature. If we're allowing Imperial agents in really top notch infiltration disguises they should probably be allowed the volumetric beards too. If you're gonna go for it, go all out.

• The lighting is VERY blue. Accidentally picked gray hair instead of white because the color shift was so extreme that the gray looked white and the white looked like it had a blue dye/tint. Was very different from "natural" light on Tython. Aesthetically sensitive people will likely be cranky if characters in world turn out to look significantly different than they did in the model viewer due to this level of color shift from lighing.

• For the model viewer, a wider zoom range and the ability to rotate the model faster at max rotation speed would both be great. The models have enough detail around the face and eyes so that people picky about appearance will probably wish for closer zoom. Zoom out to see the hips and legs better would also be nice.

Massive improvement from last PTS build. Change the lighting, increase the zoom and rotation speed limits, and figure out how to update all fields when swapping Origin or Combat Style and it should be pretty good. Overall a very nice looking interface, just color correct the lighting (getting repetitious I know, but this is a fairly major issue for it I think), and iron out the bugs and it's a very nice update over the current creation screen.

Initial character creation went smoothly and I think it's a improvement to flow from the previous system. I think as an experienced player it's a bit hard to say how new players will understand the combat style vs story choice. I think the part about story class is a huge step backwards and gives players no information on the different story choices.

As for the combat styles, I hate how the additional information takes a bit to animate on to the screen but you can click another combat style causing nothing to show up if you quickly click through them. I do like how the combat styles are presented in terms of telling a quick summary of the key points. That is well done and simplified.

Other feedback of things I'd like to see changed include the camera options; let us move the camera more, zoom out more, rotate faster, etc. I'm also not a fan of some of the UI choices, they just feel like the wrong text or the wrong style. Overly simplified? idk, but something about it just makes it look like no effort was put into it. Also, the fact that some of the lighting issues make your character look VASTLY different in game is frustrating. The character creation screen should accurately reflect what the character will look like in game and does not always accomplish this.

Edited by klizilii

Congrats to your development team. Clearly ALOT of hard work went into this since the last version. I find that I still have quite a bit of trouble spotting the green hair color on empire character creation. I can get around it by checking what those exact colors look like on the republic side, but that's not an ideal solution. Far less importantly sometimes i want to hear what my character will sound like to see if the appearance fits the voice. A button so we could trigger speech would be really cool. Again though great work so far.

Are you experiencing any difficulties or issues with Character Creation?

* If I switch genders, don't change any sliders that don't have to change!

* If I LOCK a slider, I expect it to stay locked but it doesn't. Set a bunch of sliders, lock them, switch genders, switch back. The sliders are now locked on totally random picks! Either unlock the sliders, or better yet, don't change sliders that have the same option between genders and restore the previous selections when there's a difference between genders.

* Female body type 1 looks taller than before. There's not much height variation between 1 and 2 anymore.

* Male body type 3's head is off the screen, he's so tall.

* Same issue as others with invisible initial weapon.

How is the flow of using this feature?

* The flow is better than the current system. I'm not sure why there needs to be 3 screens (allegiance, origin story/combat style, and appearance). Perhaps allegiance and origin story can be on the same page. Just add one more row of origin stories.

Please provide any other general feedback you have in detail.

* Why does my female bounty hunter have a beard and mustache? I wouldn't mind if a couple of complexions were cross-gender, but 16 of them (29% of available options) is just too much.

* Get rid of the red lighting on the Imperial characters during creation. It significantly changes how our skin and hair colors look when we get into the game, leading to major disappointment and frustration. Also ditch the blue lighting for Republic characters. Light in the background is fine, just don't let it affect the character model.

* I'd like to be able to zoom in little tighter on the face and hair. It's hard to see some scars, etc.

* I wish Complexion was a different slider than eyebrows. Some really nice complexions have strange eyebrows and vice versa.

* Male body type 4 still doesn't look like a meaty, muscular guy. He's the ultimate couch potato.

* Female hair 46 has too much gap between the base of each hair lock. Too much skin is showing. It looks like the character has scalp issues.

* Female hair 49 has too much gap between braided rows. Too much skin is showing. It looks strange.

* It's a small quibble, but I wish my bounty hunter's orange tribal face tattoos didn't come with purple eyeshadow. It looks great on the men because there's no eyeshadow. On the women... well... just no.

* Another small quibble, in the opening scene, my bounty hunter shoots some sort of stun bolt from a wrist device. It's a shame I don't actually have that as an ability. It might be confusing for new players.

* How does the random name generator work? "Babe" and "Looza" (loser) made me laugh.

Edited by Xina_LA

Quite like the new interface however I seem to have ran into a bit of an issue that others haven't mentioned, I can't exactly pick my discipline from the character creator screen. Regardless of what I do I always end up with the same one, Deception, as opposed to Darkness or Hatred.

All in all the interface looks good. There are some minor graphical issues with some of the Jedi not displaying their lightsabers when drawn but the issue is intermittent and switching to a different Jedi and then back again normally results in the graphics and animation performing correctly.

The one issue I had was that it was difficult to determine which specialization had been chosen. There was no indicator (glowing ball or something like that) indicating what was picked. Since it can be changed at any time later, its a minor issue but could lead to someone starting with a specialization they didn't want.

I did also notice that skin tones seem to be a shade or two darker in game than they are in the character creator. Probably just a lighting effect.

Nice job, looks much better.

* Why does my female bounty hunter have a beard and mustache? I wouldn't mind if a couple of complexions were cross-gender, but 16 of them (29% of available options) is just too much.

* Get rid of the red lighting on the Imperial characters during creation. It significantly changes how our skin and hair colors look when we get into the game, leading to major disappointment and frustration. Also ditch the blue lighting for Republic characters. Light in the background is fine, just don't let it affect the character model.

* I'd like to be able to zoom in little tighter on the face and hair. It's hard to see some scars, etc.

* I wish Complexion was a different slider than eyebrows. Some really nice complexions have strange eyebrows and vice versa.

I found it hard to distinguish between eye colors because the zoom does not get in close enough to the face.

I agree.

Quite like the new interface however I seem to have ran into a bit of an issue that others haven't mentioned, I can't exactly pick my discipline from the character creator screen. Regardless of what I do I always end up with the same one, Deception, as opposed to Darkness or Hatred.

I just noticed that I could not switch disciplines as well, I do hope that this is a bug and not a change. You must be able to freely choose your discipline for your class choice at creation as well as on the fleet later.

Edited by SanktePer
Forgot to add that changing discipline later is still an option,

Was playing around in the character creator and I noticed that a Chiss character's complexions will change to something random if you change their body type. I don't know if this is linked to the Chiss species or not.

Also, I can confirm that sometimes the Zoom/rotate button gets stuck on top of the Skin Color slider so we can only make the skin lighter and not darker. I got around this by going back one screen and coming back until I got a randomly generated skin tone that I wanted and edited them from there.

So, is the whole beard thing on females and other races a glitch or miss patch (note nothing against any unisex) for most races/humanoids lore wise are uncapable of growing facial hair, and in the Legends continuity (again nothing against the unisex) but unisex wasn't much a thing, plus worried this could lead to woke just like with the high republic stuff. (again third time, nothing against the unisex, im just a lore freak)

EDIT: This post was originally another thread titled "Clowns, clowns everywhere!".

I predict this will happen at the starting zones of each character class because the character creator is so dark that colors are almost impossible to choose. Having to log out to delete and remake your character after seeing them in a "real" lighting situation is not fun at all.

Why is it so hard to make a character creator with neutral lighting? Is having the character creator look c00l more important than the players' enjoyment?

Edited by Cedia
post was moved

Impression:

Over all the new character creation system looks great. Smooth and well designed. It feels very much updated and very clean. I like the change alot.

Difficulties:

Need to be able to zoom closer into faces at times, and the ability to 'strip clothes' would ve nice as some of the models and clothing sets block aspects of creation. The zoom/turn icon can get to where it blocks portions of the menu options, might be wise to move that to the center of the screen under the character itself.

PLEASE:

Offer the wide range of hairstyles and colors, and scars and makeup across the board. The human model has very nice scarring for Sith characters but it is only usable on human/sith. Those same scars should be available for Mirialans, Purebloods, Rattataki etc... let US decide what looks good and what we want to look like, please stop hiding certain appearance options/details behind races without reason.

Also, why limit pureblood hairstyles so severely? Every hair/scar/cosmetic options really needs to be available for every character type where it makes sense.

The new hairstyles are fantastic, as is the ability to have mild facial hair on the female models. BUT can we get the 'under hair' of those light beard models separated? The new afro hairstyles look better with a bit of scruff on the scalp but right now they are tied to the light beard options

I will always ask for account unlock titles, body tattoos for Mirialan's, and a larger chat window. But since we are revisiting character creation, PLEASE take the time to remove the walls to customization that seem so arbitrary.

Certain hairstyles are only available to certain races even though they are the exact same model. Certain tattoo/scar/makeup and complexions are only available to one race/sex/faction/class combination, there is no reason that those cant be opened up to allow for greater customization across the board. Please take the time to do that, it would greatly enrich the character creation process and give the players a greater connection to their characters.

Edited by Relict_Nephilim

• Issue: Sometimes the avatar is actually holding a weapon, sometimes they are not.
  • General Feedback: It would be nice if we could preview Abilities and Stats for each Origin and Style. Show the Damage, Survivability, and Ability trees to give a better sense of what they are getting into before completing their character.