Bio says no to macros at Guild Summit.

Badlander

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all macrohaters, and for those that think it is a good call not having macros cos BW devs dont like them.

http://www.razerzone.com/swtor

Razer disagree with all of you, and since they are selling the products with Star Wars the Old Republic branding i guess BW also disagrees with you and themselves? BW evn support the product with an ingame unique colored crystal! So yea good call not allowing "combat" macros, make it pay to win instead :)

No combat macros is a good thing, just look at Rift, thats just silly.. on my Rogue I have everything macroed to three buttons :csw_jabbapet:

Macros for other things is fine.

Edited by Lundli

Not too attract too many haters with this comment but look at the way Blizzard set up wow's macro system, it's near flawless and is not game breaking. Get the idea out of your head that macro automatically means putting all your attacks on one button.

No combat macros is a good thing, just look at Rift, thats just silly.. on my Rogue I have everything macroed to three buttons

i dont think anyone is asking for RIFT styled macros, wow have a perfectly good macro system and i think that is what comes to most peoples mind when they think of macros.

Edited by Jerro

For all macrohaters, and for those that think it is a good call not having macros cos BW devs dont like them.

http://www.razerzone.com/swtor

Razer disagree with all of you, and since they are selling the products with Star Wars the Old Republic branding i guess BW also disagrees with you and themselves? BW evn support the product with an ingame unique colored crystal! So yea good call not allowing "combat" macros, make it pay to win instead :)

Razer doesn't necessarily disagree with anyone, they make money off the people who need crutches.

Razer doesn't necessarily disagree with anyone, they make money off the people who need crutches.

ah well i think you get the idea anyway? gaming devices like this allready allows you to make onbutton macros, and since they are allowed the game is promoting players with better funds.

For the love of god what what do they have against macros.

Maybe they want you to actually do stuff? Even WoW players I know tell me that it is ridiculous how much you can do with macros there. Some classes require 2-3 buttons with macros to be fully effective that is just wrong. Learn to play (I really mean this) and do not have the need for macros, simple as that.

That's a shame.

Pretty much a deal breaker for me. I was waiting around to see if they would add the capability. The game will always be 3rd rate without them. I will look for official word, then probably cancel and go back to the other game.

Maybe they want you to actually do stuff? Even WoW players I know tell me that it is ridiculous how much you can do with macros there. Some classes require 2-3 buttons with macros to be fully effective that is just wrong. Learn to play (I really mean this) and do not have the need for macros, simple as that.

I can fairly comfortably reach about 13 keys on my keyboard, and two mouse buttons plus the scroll up and scroll down mouse movements. So I bind one of my mouse buttons to the ctrl button. That gives me about 29 abilities I can hit comfortably while in combat and it is still not enough.

So, to all you macro haters. How the hell are you using all your abilites? Are you just prioritizing what is most used and ignoring the rest? Are you clicking them with your mouse?

Please explain how you are using all your abilities without clicking? I really want to know.

ah well i think you get the idea anyway? gaming devices like this allready allows you to make onbutton macros, and since they are allowed the game is promoting players with better funds.

Every game out there "promotes players with better funds" by performing better on better built, more costly systems.

Nothing new to see here.

Good. Having them forces everyone to create a "WIN!" button for PVP in order to stay competitive. Which kills the fun and strategy completely.

the WIN button allready exists in the game, there are several keyboards, mouse and other gaming devices that allow you to make them. and those devices is probably better than any ingame macros cos they dont stop firing just cos you used a ability.

Please explain how you are using all your abilities without clicking? I really want to know.

I'm at work so I can't post a screen but let me go on for you:

1 Hammershot

2 Energy shot (the one with +1 ammo)

3 Full Auto

4 High Impact Bolt

Q Sticky Grenade

E Energy Shot (the lightning thing with debuff)

R Stockstrike

F Cryogren

V Charge

C Hook

shift+F Mortars

shift+E Ion Cannon

T AoE Explosion Thing (cant remember name)

Middle Mouse Interrupt

shift+Thumb-Mouse 1 Guard

shift+Thumb-Mouse 2 Ammo Recharege

Thumb-Mouse 1 Taunt

Thumb-Mouse 2 AoE Taun

Def Relics + Defensive Buffs F1-F4

Off Relic + Buff shift1 / shift2

oh edit: shift+c is the grenade shot that knocks back weak targets (for aoe interrupt in WZ)

edit 2: shift+middle mouse is aoe stun, forgot this aswell

Hm, not sure if I forgot something out of my mind.. But yeah, thats it.

So yes I all play this by hand and I still manage in PvE to charge 1 enemy, taunt the 2nd and hook the 3rd as it is SIMPLE if you have HANDS.

Edited by Ishkur

I am really starting to think macro haters are just bad at the game. Or bad at some past game and blamed macros on their failure.

I say macro users are too bad to play the game by using their hands. I have done anything on nightmare in this game and consider myself one of the best tanks on the server and I won't ever, EVER use a macro.

Not too attract too many haters with this comment but look at the way Blizzard set up wow's macro system, it's near flawless and is not game breaking. Get the idea out of your head that macro automatically means putting all your attacks on one button.

But that IS what happens.

For instance... this is a Death Knight Macro used by many in WOW for PVP...

/castsequence reset=target Icy Touch, Plague Strike, Blood Strike, Blood Strike, Obliterate, Frost Strike, Howling Blast

They run around in circles clicking one button to perform 7 different abilities. Now, do you think this adds an advantage over a player who doesn't use a macro like this?

Macros like this force everyone to follow along due to being at a disadvantage.

Every game out there "promotes players with better funds" by performing better on better built, more costly systems.

Nothing new to see here.

I really dont understand what you are on about. im just trying to tell people that macros allready are in the game. it doesnt matter if u like it or not, so why not give the people with lesser funds to play with equal "skill"?

Since they didn't define what "combat macros" are, that statement was pretty meaningless. The caveat that they want to help healers means things like mouse-over targeting macros are likely.

Not necessarily. I'm sure that some sort of mouseover targetting could be worked into the game without the need for a macro to do it. That way, everyone has them and not just those macro-savvy players. Puts everyone on an even keel, which is always good.

Some macros are needed. But I for one am glad they are not going to just say... Here throw a macro on 2 buttons and there you go. This is one thing that drove me from Rift... their macros were incredibly to powerful and intelligent.

Alot of people, like me, want macros because Bioware has poorly designed the class system and with macros I will be able to enjoy the game more, despite their poor design. Here's how:

I have a 50 Guardian tank and a 50 Vanguard tank, I levelled the Guardian first and shelved him to bring up the Vanguard. The main reason I did so is that I cannot enjoy end game content with the Guardian nearly as much as I can with the Vanguard. In order to get optimum effectiveness out of my Guardian I have many more buttons to push, more CD's to monitor and more conditionals to watch out for than on the Vanguard. When tanking with the Guardian I spend most of my fights managing my abilities. With my Vanguard tank I spend most of my time managing the encounter, which makes it much more enjoyable to play.

Bioware, for whatever reason, has made the task of tanking much more easily managed for one class over another. If they were to put in macro's it would even out the playing field, so to speak, and I would play my Guardian again because I enjoy that 'playstyle' better. Until then, I'll accomplish the same tasks with my Vangaurd and have a much more enjoyable time doing it, because I'm using about half as many abilities/button smashes than my Guardian.

P.S. I also know that there are DPS classes in the same situation, one class needs a dozen button smashes to accomplish what the other class does with half as many.

I really dont understand what you are on about. im just trying to tell people that macros allready are in the game. it doesnt matter if u like it or not, so why not give the people with lesser funds to play with equal "skill"?

Here's what I am "going on about"====>

If you want to spend the money you earn on hardware that gives you an advantage: so be it, it's your money, it's the same as the zit-popping dorks on XBL who buy modded controllers for $100+.

Do whatever you feel you need to do to play better, but shoveling a ton of abilities into one key press is not going to make you a better player, most people would argue it will make you worse, because you won't actually learn to play your class and use your abilities appropriately, you will depend on the macros you Goggle from other people who DID learn those things.

It's your money, I really don't care what sort of advantage you purchase.

THAT being said: It's not Bioware's responsibility to hand you the ability to do those things. It's their game, they have certain ideas on how they want things to work and how/if they feel they should be implemented. They don't have any obligation to give YOU or ME or ANYONE ELSE macros because SOMEONE is using a Keyboard or Mouse that you don't want to have to purchase.

Therefore, subjective to opinions of course: I think they made the perfect decision. Having any sort of macro functionality at all will be great, if I decide I am a lazy sack who needs to shovel out $ for a special piece of hardware to play my class: so be it I will spend that $. I'm not going to rant here on the forums about things not being fair because simply put, in the scheme of things: Life isn't fair to each and every one of us.