I still feel like a shadow

YTTHYTTH

Made a second character on the public test server. Class story Jedi Guardian and second combat style Jedi Shadow. Boosted the character, got them their gear and headed off to do some heroics as both styles of combat. I’m not sure if it’s because I’ve played the game for so many years or I don’t RP enough or what it is but when I was switching combat styles I didn’t feel like a Jedi Guardian that now had a different light saber I felt like a Jedi Shadow.

Was the point of this for us to feel like a Jedi Guardian with different abilities?

I was also confused why my Jedi Guardian story could not pick a tech class as their second combat style? Is there something that prevents a force user from picking up a blaster in Bioware’s Star Wars universe? I found this confusing.

I’m left with the feeling of, is it me? Am I missing the bigger picture here. I don’t know what I’m supposed to think about these new combat styles.

You're not missing anything. Tech and force users won't be allowed to mix and match their combat styles. And lorewise it may work this way that you described, that a jedi can use blasters I doubt that every powertech or imperial agent will suddenly become proficient in using the force.

With these changes they allowed us to have 2 classes in one, while doing story of the third. You can be sage/ marauder playing inqusitor story line. They called it separating story from gameplay. It is what it is mate.

I’m not sure if it’s because I’ve played the game for so many years or I don’t RP enough or what it is but when I was switching combat styles I didn’t feel like a Jedi Guardian that now had a different light saber I felt like a Jedi Shadow.

Was the point of this for us to feel like a Jedi Guardian with different abilities?

I think you are missing the obvious. You are supposed to feel like your playstyle. If you are using shadow abilities, then that is what you should "feel like." That is why you would choose them. The style you choose shouldn't affect your immersion in the class story.

In the feedback section where they are asking if you feel like a shadow or guardian, etc... They are specifically talking about the abilities for that class since they have redone how they work, how soon you get them, etc.. within each class.

Edited by BRKMSN

I’m left with the feeling of, is it me? Am I missing the bigger picture here. I don’t know what I’m supposed to think about these new combat styles.

Yes, you are missing the bigger picture here, which is emphasized by the fact that you erroneously identified Jedi Guardian as your class story and not Jedi Knight. Combat Styles are nothing more than the Advanced Classes decoupled from their respective Base Classes. So in your example, instead of only having the choice to pick either Sentinel or Guardian for your Jedi Knight character, you can pick between all 8 Force Advanced Classes including the ones from the opposite side. That's it for now.

Anything more than that would mean a lot more time and effort spent working on new animations and balancing for all the possible hybrid class builds. What we can potentially see in the future are new Combat Styles that will be added as an option for all Force and Tech characters respectively.

As for Jedis not being able to pick a blaster Combat Style, I think it has more to do with the fact that it would be Lore and immersion breaking to have Tech characters that could pick a Force Combat Style and run around with lightsabers just like that. That being said, Chris Schmidt hinted at the idea of a "Jedi with a blaster" during an interview.

Edited by Phazonfreak

I think you are missing the obvious. You are supposed to feel like your playstyle. If you are using shadow abilities, then that is what you should "feel like." That is why you would choose them. The style you choose shouldn't affect your immersion in the class story.

In the feedback section where they are asking if you feel like a shadow or guardian, etc... They are specifically talking about the abilities for that class since they have redone how they work, how soon you get them, etc.. within each class.

Thank you. This made sense to me. It takes away a lot of the “it’s a big deal” but it makes more sense.

The thing about 7.0 is that EAware has correctly identified its class stories as its single best asset in this game. Decoupling class story from class mechanics (at least somewhat, as has been said in the thread, not every combination is possible) will extend the degree of enjoyment for some players.

Unfortunately, EAware stopped supporting class stories years ago due to cost issues and to streamline development, so after you complete the base story, your designated story class has very little impact on remaining content.

For most current max level players, the best benefit of combat styles is to allow people to try new things without starting from scratch. Which, amusingly, means they'll skip the story content.

OP, I think this is subjective.

Personally, I agree with you. I won't be changing any of my existing characters to anything but their mirrors or other class combat style.

But there are plenty of other people who want to try all the things and this doesn't bother them. Choice is good!

OP, I think this is subjective.

Personally, I agree with you. I won't be changing any of my existing characters to anything but their mirrors or other class combat style.

But there are plenty of other people who want to try all the things and this doesn't bother them. Choice is good!

I think you are right ofcourse. Choices are good.

I played the entire Jedi Knight class story from Tython to Corellia/DK finale as the shadow combat style. I made light side choices, as I pretty much always do, but skipped all the companion conversations including romance because its PTS. It turns out that the story doesn't feel any different except that I can skip massive amounts of trash, which actually ruins immersion, though it does speed up the process if your goal is merely to grind through. It pretty much confirmed for me (my opinion only, of course, your mileage may vary) that the reason to have the combat style is a logistical one, and really does very little for the story if you are a consistent alignment. Perhaps it might be different if I chose Jugg or Assassin or Sorc or Mara, but honestly I have no desire to run the story with dark side choices, so without that necessary element I can't see the experience being terribly different.

I played the entire Jedi Knight class story from Tython to Corellia/DK finale as the shadow combat style. I made light side choices, as I pretty much always do, but skipped all the companion conversations including romance because its PTS. It turns out that the story doesn't feel any different except that I can skip massive amounts of trash, which actually ruins immersion, though it does speed up the process if your goal is merely to grind through. It pretty much confirmed for me (my opinion only, of course, your mileage may vary) that the reason to have the combat style is a logistical one, and really does very little for the story if you are a consistent alignment. Perhaps it might be different if I chose Jugg or Assassin or Sorc or Mara, but honestly I have no desire to run the story with dark side choices, so without that necessary element I can't see the experience being terribly different.

I went Deception/Infiltration on all my Inquisitors/Consulars as I don't like the idea of running around with a lightsaber and not hitting things with it :p This will allow me to take those as 2nd style and try them out :)

However, that said, having played those stealth classes, I can say, I never skipped out on the trash mobs that were part of bonus mission. Running only past some area on my way through to somewhere else. Never ruined my immersion.

For people who have been playing for a number of years, things just aren't going to feel right.

You'll be playing whatever story you chose, but you'll probably struggle a bit with merging whatever class you are with the story you're playing. Maybe it'll go away after a chapter or two. Maybe it won't.

I think newer players are going to enjoy the benefits of the system a lot more than veteran players, at least as far as going through the early story content is concerned. Were going to be thinking some version of "This feels wrong" for a little while. If you learn to enjoy it, great. If not, just chose the class story that used to match the class you're primarily leveling with.

Lore wise, nothing stops a Force User from firing a blaster in BW's Star Wars universe, pistol/blaster wielding Jedi was a favored option for many players in KOTOR and KOTOR 2 (Obsidian IK, but same universe).

I think there are a couple of reasons for them not allowing for tech and force origin stories to be able to use the opposite type of weapon.

For one, the Origin Story cutscenes do not support cross weapon use. Any Origin Story scene with a Jedi/Sith always pulls a lightsaber, whether it is a single or double blade doesn't matter, and we have already seen issues where the back holstered melee weapons don't fit into scenes very well. Currently, any Origin Story scene with a tech-based character either uses the equipped pistol of pistol-wielding classes and uses a generic pistol model for rifle and cannon classes. They would have to re-do all the Origin Story scenes that involve the PC drawing their weapon to account for opposite weapon type and I don't foresee that happening.

The second issue is more of a tech class issue rather than a Force class issue. If they let the tech-based stories (Agent, BH, Trooper, Smuggler) use melee weapons, they would have to build in abilities to replace ones that are currently force-based, like Force Lightning, Project, etc. That being said, I don't foresee them building, what would essentially be, four new classes at this point in the game.

Lore wise, nothing stops a Force User from firing a blaster in BW's Star Wars universe, pistol/blaster wielding Jedi was a favored option for many players in KOTOR and KOTOR 2 (Obsidian IK, but same universe).

I think there are a couple of reasons for them not allowing for tech and force origin stories to be able to use the opposite type of weapon.

For one, the Origin Story cutscenes do not support cross weapon use. Any Origin Story scene with a Jedi/Sith always pulls a lightsaber, whether it is a single or double blade doesn't matter, and we have already seen issues where the back holstered melee weapons don't fit into scenes very well. Currently, any Origin Story scene with a tech-based character either uses the equipped pistol of pistol-wielding classes and uses a generic pistol model for rifle and cannon classes. They would have to re-do all the Origin Story scenes that involve the PC drawing their weapon to account for opposite weapon type and I don't foresee that happening.

The second issue is more of a tech class issue rather than a Force class issue. If they let the tech-based stories (Agent, BH, Trooper, Smuggler) use melee weapons, they would have to build in abilities to replace ones that are currently force-based, like Force Lightning, Project, etc. That being said, I don't foresee them building, what would essentially be, four new classes at this point in the game.

I think they could do it now, with Combat Styles.

Melee option for a Tech user? Those classes already pull a pistol if they don't have one anyways. They can also just put a pistol in the off hand for the cut scenes if needed.

Lightsaber + Blaster Pistol for Force Users, just need the lightsaber for cutscenes.

As for Jedis not being able to pick a blaster Combat Style, I think it has more to do with the fact that it would be Lore and immersion breaking to have Tech characters that could pick a Force Combat Style and run around with lightsabers just like that. That being said, Chris Schmidt hinted at the idea of a "Jedi with a blaster" during an interview.

I suppose that could be interesting for the Kyle Katarn types