Changes to rewards for PvP, GSF, and Operations

BryantWood

• Dev Post

Hi everyone,

Have a few updates to share with you all.

First, some of you may have noticed that /stuck has been temporarily removed from ranked PvP. This was done to prevent exploitative behavior. We intend on re-enabling /stuck in game update 7.0.2 (will have more details on that when we can share them). Players are utilizing /stuck to receive rewards in unintended ways, so we will be adjusting rewards earned in ranked weeklies to help discourage this behavior but also taking this opportunity to balance rewards in various parts of the game.

With 7.0.2, players can expect the Tech Fragments from [WEEKLY] Go Berserk! to be reduced to 1750 (down from 2000). For those who enjoy playing PvP, rewards for Unranked will be increased (listed later in this post).

While we’re here, we wanted to shed more light on other adjustments that were made to balance rewards players were earning so they feel better rewarded in playing various parts of the game they enjoy. These reward balances will be coming with 7.0.2, but you can see them now on the PTS server.

We’re going to be making CM-1337 easier and simpler for players to obtain. The RPM and OEM modules can be purchased directly from the Spoils of War Vendor for 5k Tech Fragments each, while other sources have been removed:

• RPM-13 and OEM-37 costs on the Spoils of War Vendors SoW Vendor are now 5k (down from 10k)
  • RPM-13 have been removed from Group Ranked Daily and Weekly Missions
  • OEM-37 have been removed from Operation drops and Missions
  • Weekly Missions “A Surprising Offer” have been removed from the fleets

Improvements to Unranked Weekly Mission Rewards: [WEEKLY] Conspicuous Valor and [WEEKLY] The Spoils of War:

• WZ-1 Accelerants are now 110 (up from 55)
  • Tech Fragments are now 1500 (up from 450)
  • Daily Matrices are now 20 ( up from 8)

Improvements to Unranked Daily Mission Rewards: [DAILY] March Them Down and [DAILY] No Quarter

• Tech Fragments are now 150 (up from 75)

Slight Reductions to Starfighter Rewards:

We are slightly reducing rewards from Galactic Starfighter so that it is more balanced in comparison to other content in the game. We love seeing players participate in and enjoy Galactic Starfighter, but the current reward amounts are beginning to lead to an increase in players not actively participating in matches.

• Tech Fragments from [WEEKLY] Galactic Starfighter are now 850 (down from 1000)

Increased Tech Fragments in Operations, especially focusing on Story:

We’ve read feedback regarding Operations bosses not rewarding enough Tech Fragments and have increased how Tech Fragments are rewarded from them. The further you progress in an Operation the more Tech Fragments will drop from bosses. With a complete Story Mode Operation now granting 2000 Tech Fragments (up from 450). Veteran and Master Modes will also be increased to grant 2500 and 3000 Tech Fragments respectively.

For a 5 boss Operation, rewards will be as follows for Story Mode:

• Boss 1: 100 Tech Fragments
  • Boss 2: 250 Tech Fragments
  • Boss 3: 400 Tech Fragments
  • Boss 4: 500 Tech Fragments
  • Boss 5: 750 Tech Fragments

Operations with more or fewer bosses have been balanced to reward an equal amount of Tech Fragments based on their average completion time.

Another change players may have noticed on PTS is that currency names have been updated. These were made to better clarify what content the currencies are related to.

• Medal of Commendation is now Conquest Commendation
  • Aquatic Resource Matrix is now Daily Resource Matrix
  • Hazardous Matter Catalyst is now OP-1 Catalyst
  • Thyrsian Production Accelerant is now WZ-1 Accelerant
  • Decurion Isotope Stabilizer is now FP-1 Stabilizer

We hope this gives you a little more insight into what to expect for 7.0.2. We will have more communication around that update when we have more details to share.

EDIT: Follow up post made on 4/4/22. Found here.

Edited by JackieKo

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OEM and RPM being removed from Nightmare and Ranked drops, will decrease the supply dramaticaly.

Tech fragments are used in gearing and buying materials. People will prefer buying their legendaries and tacticals.

So if your goal is really to make golden augments more accessible, you either need to drastically reduce the price of Legendaries or keep the materials dropping in their respective content.

Hi everyone

Hi Bryant.

Improvements to Unranked Weekly Mission Rewards: [WEEKLY] Conspicuous Valor and [WEEKLY] The Spoils of War:

Improvements to Unranked Daily Mission Rewards: [DAILY] March Them Down and [DAILY] No Quarter

While I do love these increases, they're not good enough to make me want to slog my rear end through a lot of PVP. You can be the absolute top player on the team and still lose 15 rounds in a row and gain absolutely nothing. Why not have the PVP missions work like the GSF, where a defeat counts for 1 point and a win for 2. Incentive to play, even if the team is horrible and scores 0 points/kills?

We are slightly reducing rewards from Galactic Starfighter so that it is more balanced in comparison to other content in the game. We love seeing players participate in and enjoy Galactic Starfighter, but the current reward amounts are beginning to lead to an increase in players not actively participating in matches.

• Tech Fragments from [WEEKLY] Galactic Starfighter are now 850 (down from 1000)

I'll freely admit, I'm probably considered one of those people. But I'm not. I am not into the dogfighting aspect, I rarely win a 1v1 fight in a scout, striker or bomber. Gunship/sniper role is my favourite in any shooting game. But recently I've managed to look past that and explore the wonders of a camping bomber under the satellites. It's super fun, it's super relaxing and it also makes me look super AFK, until B is under attack and my mines and probes do their thing. Granted, if I am at A or C and everyone else is on the other satellites, it makes me look really really inactive in every parameter except Objectives. Which is good enough for me, but if people count that as ”not actively participating”, then something needs to change on your end.

While this won't make me play less GSF, because I actually like it and wish you would develop it further with new ships and maps and maaaaaybe new types of both, it will make me a little sad to lose out on the tech fragments. GSF is my primary income, because it's content I find fun and it's rewarding me for my time spent, unlike PVP, with the 1-2 point system.

Another change players may have noticed on PTS is that currency names have been updated. These were made to better clarify what content the currencies are related to.

Tell me, honestly, didn't you just change the name to make it easier in the future? Next type will be OP-2, WZ-2, FP-2 etc. Now you won't have to come up with new names :D

We hope this gives you a little more insight into what to expect for 7.0.2.

It did. Thank you. But as has been said too many times already, it's just not enough. 7.1 better be damn impressive and arrive sooner rather than later, because this whole content patch you call an expansion is beyond stupid so far. These changes are a tiny step in the right direction, but it's a drop in the ocean of Manaan that we have yet to swim in.

This will wreck the economy even worse than before. You can barely buy augs from GTN, because they are over a billion credits. Now that the mats will be scarcer than before, it will skyrocket again.

For the love of god, stop making drastic changes like this and think for a second. As other stated, either drastically reduce the mats needed for the augs, or do not change the drops from pvp or ranked. Tech fragments will be crucial resources for a while due to the implant upgrades and purchasing. So either bring those down to 3k frags as well, or make the implants 330 from the start.

Is there any chance of an increase on the Weekly Caps to the various currencies? The limit of HMCs/Op-1s has been oppressive to say the least in my gear grind, as well as everyone else's that I know. I usually hit the cap on Tuesday just from my stored drops and any unclaimed HM weeklies from the past week, since I was already at 999/999 for that entire week as well. I also always seem to be at 14 Medals of Commendation/Conquest Medals left when I'm at the weekly cap, so I'm literally just 1 short of another upgrade as well which are usually 15 Medals a piece.

Its just bothersome to feel like my playtime is being limited or or slowed by a currency cap. However, I get that I may be an outlier here as this is the main game i play and spend 99% of my time gaming on SWTOR, so I may be more affected than others. But, I do know a lot of my HM/NiM raiding friends also feel strongly that the currency caps have halted our collective gearing process collectively.

Interesting. Not sure how viable the Gold Augs will be to get still, given that LOTS crafting is around the corner.

But it seems likely GSF grinding won't be needed anymore. I can just do operations for my tech frags! 🤞

I do wish they more addressed the issue of people going AFK and such in GSF, rather than just diminishing the rewards. If someone has 15 deaths and 0 kills/assists, or 0 damage, then they shouldn't get credit in the first place.

The currency name change, while a positive, seems like it should've been in 7.0 at launch, not after everyone has gotten used to the names. (Plus, HazMatCats just sounds cooler.) Still, if you can actually stick to OP, WZ, and FP gear currency after this expac, I welcome it. (But when the gearing currency changes in 8.0 completely, I won't be shocked.)

Hi everyone,

We’ve read feedback regarding Operations bosses not rewarding enough Tech Fragments and have increased how Tech Fragments are rewarded from them. The further you progress in an Operation the more Tech Fragments will drop from bosses. With a complete Story Mode Operation now granting 2000 Tech Fragments (up from 450). Veteran and Master Modes will also be increased to grant 2500 and 3000 Tech Fragments respectively.

Operations with more or fewer bosses have been balanced to reward an equal amount of Tech Fragments based on their average completion time.

the increase in tech frags is nice, however you are still not addressing the issue of how the weekly mission works and how catalysts are earned. the catalysts need to be spread out across each boss and the tech frags could be the lump sum at the end.

people will still likely not join an in-progress group just for tech frags, when we are still trying to farm catalysts.

But it seems likely GSF grinding won't be needed anymore. I can just do operations for my tech frags! 🤞

Yeah, now you only need to do 52.5 sm ops @ 2k tech fragments per op to get the 105k fragments needed to buy the mats to make 1 gold augment.

I agree that farming GSF is not a good thing, but unless they reduce the number of rpms and oems needed to craft an augment, I'll still be selling the mats for profit instead of upgrading my augments.

Yeah... I still won't bother with the pvp weekly until you make it like the GSF weekly in term of losses counting towards it, but it's nice to see that it's going to be more on par with GSF.

But what about SOLO activities? I'm still not seeing any increase in tech fragments, and we also have legendaries to buy.

That being said, what about Conquest? GSF losses give CQ points, so should PvP losses (and so should heroic weeklies).

You still have a ways to go to make it rewarding for EVERY playstyle.

And while I'm at it, renaming the gear currency is not going to change the fact that we shouldn't need three types of currencies to buy a gear (or legendary) upgrade.

And here I was looking forward to 7.1 but nope... looks like we're getting 7.02 instead...

We’re going to be making CM-1337 easier and simpler for players to obtain. The RPM and OEM modules can be purchased directly from the Spoils of War Vendor for 5k Tech Fragments each, while other sources have been removed:

• RPM-13 and OEM-37 costs on the Spoils of War Vendors SoW Vendor are now 5k (down from 10k)

Ok, this does make it easier adding in another method.

[*]RPM-13 have been removed from Group Ranked Daily and Weekly Missions

[*]OEM-37 have been removed from Operation drops and Missions

Oh, removing the "free" ways to get them during gameplay and replacing it with a vendor using the same currency needed to buy and upgrade implants. So instead of doing ranked or operations to earn the items, now we are to grind additional tech frags to earn the funds to buy them from vendor.

So I'd say making it easier = adding the path as you did. By subtracting current ways to earn them what you actually did wasn't necessarily making it easier, you just changed the way to earn them.

So I'd personally change your post to say "We are changing the way to make CM-1337 materials for players to obtain". Saying it is now easier, isn't really true for those that were earning them through the existing ways. Just for those who didn't want to do ranked or operations and instead only bought them from vendor.

Edited by Jamtas

I agree with most of the other comments, this isn't really making the newer augments "easier" to obtain.

With 7.0, the removal of 'get gold gear from everything you do and disassemble it' and the increase in CQ requirement has resulted in a massive net negative on tech frag income rates (not to mention a complete lack of income on all the Jawa junk for other crafting mats) and currently most of us are still trying to farm enough tech frags just to get our set bonuses back with the new legendary relics which cost 6.5K tech frags a piece, then more to upgrade them.... Now you're saying oh just spend another 105K tech frags and easy as that you can get mats for one augment? Yeah, thanks, so helpful...

So we're gonna see some Tech Fragment boosts for solo play too, right? The anemic Tech Fragment drops in solo play compared to how much we need for gear upgrades is a big contributor to players doing GSF and AFKing. Dropping GSF's weekly down to 850 isn't going to stop that, increasing Tech Fragment yields for solo play that makes it at least a viable route is what would keep people from running to GSF for Tech Fragments.

The weeklies for heroics and daily areas should give 100 Tech Fragments each. That's not a lot, but they're quicker and solo friendly, and have the TF from the missions themselves as well. It'd put an hour of solo play up to around maybe 600 Tech Fragments if you could fit 4 areas into that hour (I couldn't, but I'm being generous here). That'd still be less than GSF, but not by so much that a solo player is going to go AFK in GSF solely to get TF. If you like GSF, or have other reasons to do it, you're still rewarded for doing so, but if you just want to do solo stuff, you have a more reasonable TF path through that so you're not pushed into content you refuse to play.

Tying the bigger TF yield to the weeklies prevents people from picking and choosing the fastest heroics on different planets to get this done, you'd have to do enough in the area to get the weekly. Could even lower it for heroic weeklies specifically if you feel that still wouldn't balance out. Most daily areas are around 15 minutes (and the exceptions I can think of are longer, not shorter) so I feel like 100 is a good spot for them.

ah yes. 1.470.000 tech fragments for a full set of gold augments that barely provide a noticeable stat increase in current scaling is totally reasonable. im sure this will also not cause another 200-300% price increase to the mats by cutting off the current main supply and tieing the mats only to a currency everybody needs to buy and upgrade implants/tacitcals. just that upgradeing implants gives you more stats than upgradeing purple to gold augs.... At least i had a good laugh reading this.

Typical 'goto NERF' overreaction, instead of creatively addressing the actual problem: Incentivize PARTICIPATION. ( and thereby de-incentivize AFK'ing --- Example: player X with 0 medals & 0 kills , gets minimal--if any--rewards. But player Y with 13 medals & 10 kills , gets greater rewards. Logical, no? )

We’ve read feedback regarding Operations bosses not rewarding enough Tech Fragments and have increased how Tech Fragments are rewarded from them. The further you progress in an Operation the more Tech Fragments will drop from bosses.

Good change and hopefully will encourage groups to actually FINISH the Ops (or at least try to progress)

Awful change, totally lore-breaking & immersion-breaking. thumbs-DOWN lol "Conquest" comms?!?! This is still an RPG , no? So now my umm Sith Lord character knows about grinding for conquest points each week in a video game?! Truly baffling, BioWare. Like, really i don't understand your decisions sometimes. :confused:

So u guys are re-naming these "tokens" (which btw are already bloated with wayyyy too many listed anyway) just because lowest-common-denominator players are too lazy/oblivious to hover mouse-cursor over each token type to read their descriptions about where/how to use them?

We hope this gives you a little more insight into what to expect for 7.0.2.

It does. More clean-up on aisle 7.0 :cool:

We will have more communication around that update when we have more details to share.

In other words we won't hear from you again until it's already too late?

So zero back & forth discussion with forum community?

I still love SWTOR and still $upport BioWare 'til the end , like i have since 2011 beta ....but....well... When u guys just swoop in at random and drop an all too infrequent actual DEV forum post and then dash out without any actual convos (question & answer) about the info, it can get rather frustrating.

Sorta feels like: "Here's your SLOP, enjoy $ubscriber!" :(

p.s. How about instead of all this convoluted conquest mess , start focusing on legit STORY CONTENT? The type of stuff this game was founded upon. The type of stuff like ohhh i dunno , some of the ideas hyperlinked in my forum sig.... :ph_use_the_force:

Edited by Nee-Elder
i just want this game to be GREAT again is all ... sorry for my frustrations, but gosh BioWare .... /sigh

Last I looked at the price of OEM and RPM and completed 77 augments on GTN it was an invitation to disrespect the rules of the game and obtain credits illegally to afford them with vastly less effort and time.

Is this update attempting to change those horrific economics or keep the supply choke but spread across more players.

1 gold augment requires 21 gold mats which after the update will only be available by grinding a total of 105,000 tech fragments.

14 augments for a set requires 1,470,000 tech fragments.

There's not even any special respect or honour in completing such a mammoth task, they are tradeable goods with no visual value and the moment augments are redone it's all vendor trash.

Hi everyone,

Have a few updates to share with you all.

With 7.0.2, players can expect the Tech Fragments from [WEEKLY] Go Berserk! to be reduced to 1750 (down from 2000). For those who enjoy playing PvP, rewards for Unranked will be increased (listed later in this post).

W

So you're increasing inflation then. All you are doing is cutting off supply.

Not good enough. Warzone is an absolute waste of time with no mercy mechanic.

You must only have hammers, because you seem to view everything as nails. Why not reward participation instead of nerfing rewards? That seems to be too much nuance for the feeble team you have.

Do you guys actually think a drop of 150 tech fragments is going to change the situation? Lol...you cut the costs of the best items to spend tech fragments on by half, from 10k to 5k...you are not changing anything with the GSF payout changes.

If you want to make it so fewer people AFK, Feed or do other things to end matches faster/not participate then you need to INCREASE rewards based on effort. And no, removing rewards for doing that will not change it because it then becomes a thing to do for Conquest points only and the afking and feeding will remain...and if you then take a hammer to THAT, youll find yourself pushing even more players out of even playing the game anymore.

Stop using a damn hammer, the game is not only made of nails. Find out why the damn thing isnt FUN, and FIX THAT.

Edited by gregordunbar

So we're gonna see some Tech Fragment boosts for solo play too, right? The anemic Tech Fragment drops in solo play compared to how much we need for gear upgrades is a big contributor to players doing GSF and AFKing. Dropping GSF's weekly down to 850 isn't going to stop that, increasing Tech Fragment yields for solo play that makes it at least a viable route is what would keep people from running to GSF for Tech Fragments.

Say it louder for the Devs at the back please (especially the underlined bit). As a soloer I do not need high level gear in the way a hard mode OPs player might, BUT as an unranked PvP player I need high enough gear to survive longer then 15 seconds. As a soloer/story player I'm unable to get enough tech fragments or currency to upgrade anything to any decent level right now.

And I'll say again: reducing tech fragments in GFS is not going to help the afkers. They are in every single match doing absolutely nothing. And I'm betting there's no solution this because if they start requiring wins to complete missions, no-one will bother with it.

Edited by Sarova

All these changes to rewards every week or so (clearly you don't know how to handle the game anymore) and I'm still here wondering WHY we have to spend Tech Fragments ON COSMETIC ARMOR SETS.

And don't get me started on changing the currency names, isn't a RPG supposed to be immersive? It's almost impossible to run master mode FPs and OPs because most players these days are too dumb to understand mechanics, and this "idiot-proofing" just makes people lazier and not want to actually learn stuff.