Security Key Battery Change?

Corraldh

VASCO who made them say they have a 7 year lifespan.. meaning there's a chance the fob will outlive the game life. I plan on calling up CS and removing my physical SK then just using a phone App one after that when/if the time comes

I've had mine 9 years and it's still going strong, but good to know this information.

Tried this today on two SWTOR security keys. After changing the battery, neither work. Both just showed 88888888, the number stayed and did not fade after a few seconds. So could not reset.

Did you keep battery voltage on the fob at all times? It obviously won't work if you just pull the battery out and replace it. You have to temporarily clip a battery or power supply in parallel with the internal battery to maintain constant power to the small bit of CMOS memory that holds the "key".

Did you keep battery voltage on the fob at all times? It obviously won't work if you just pull the battery out and replace it. You have to temporarily clip a battery or power supply in parallel with the internal battery to maintain constant power to the small bit of CMOS memory that holds the "key".

No, but the battery(s) had completely gone on the two keys I tried it with. I do have two more keys somewhere, if I can find them i can try again.

RSA verified keyfobs are not supposed to work if you tamper with them, that includes changing the battery. I don't know why people are trying to. The whole point of these things is security. It's not secure if you can open it.

And..... Someone said it could be changed if you read this thread. I had two dead keys so lost nothing in trying it. The battery's needed for the keys are the same 3V CR2032 that I use for my BM kit, so did not even waste money in buying the battery(s).

Edited by DreadtechSavant

• 6 months later...