Reverse Engineering doesn't give recipes??

Azar_SWTOR

Or am I just having a streak of bad RNGesus?

I've deconned 10-12 MK-1 Chest items (irating 274) and still no recipe. I have onslaught skill upgrade and and Synth is at 665.

Just returned to the game, last time I played was 5.0. Seems like crafting just isn't worth it any longer. Frustrating.

Edited by Azar_SWTOR

The reverse engineering is dependent on the Random Number Spirits and as you get higher there is a smaller and smaller of chance to RE them. Also you have to have done the crafting yourself (just bringing that up to be sure.) Edited by TheGreyRanger

The reverse engineering is dependent on the Random Number Spirits and as you get higher there is a smaller and smaller of chance to RE them. Also you have to have done the crafting yourself (just bringing that up to be sure.)

To all and sundry, in "done the crafting yourself", the word "yourself" means "on this character". Transferring things to a different character to deconstruct will not allow that other character to learn the schematic.

In general the tooltip should display a x% chance to learn a schematic, if it isn't there there is no schematic to learn for you, either because of the reasons already stated by the other posters above me or because there isn't a schematic to learn at all.

As I just had this discussion on fleet chat, don't forget how the math works here, the probability calculation is not always what people think it is.

It's a roll system, each attempt for the schematic is a new roll, without any memory of "I tried it already 15 times so the next attempt has to give the schematic because chance of X%". Previous attempts don't matter, each new attempt again has a new 80% (20% displayed in the tooltip) chance to not give the schematic.

It's like rolling a dice, on an average every number of a 1 to 6 dice has the same chance to be rolled, that doesn't stop you from rolling streaks of sixes or only one after one after one when actually playing a game with friends though.

Back to SWTOR, this means that a chance of 20% isn't equal to disassembling 5 pieces to get a guaranteed schematic. Over a sample of maybe 1000 disassembled pieces on an average 20% of the attempts will yield the schematic, the bigger the sample the closer the result will be to the chance stated. It doesn't say anything though about which actual attempt will bring the wanted result, if it's try 17, 234 or like ten times in a row then 100 times nothing.

Over all the players the chance will be correct but just like with playing games with friends, that doesn't guarantee one individual player will get the schematic with roughly the fifth attempt, there are some who will get it with the first attempt others who might need 20 or more, depending on their luck with the rolls.

• 1 month later...
Or am I just having a streak of bad RNGesus?

I've deconned 10-12 MK-1 Chest items (irating 274) and still no recipe. I have onslaught skill upgrade and and Synth is at 665.

Just returned to the game, last time I played was 5.0. Seems like crafting just isn't worth it any longer. Frustrating.

hey man... welcome back. So it works like this:

1. You can reverse engineer, but you can only learn "upgrade" schematics. By that i mean, armor pieces you can learn from the trainer, which you crafted, and RE'd.... those items will have a chance of giving you a purple schematic.

2. You can reverse engineer drops from flashpoints and ops.... but these will only give you tech fragments and some other stuff... but you won't learn any schematics this way.

• 2 weeks later...