Jedi Knight or Sith Warrior Story?

Twinsin

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SW story is more my cup of tea than the JK.

If you want a story about clawing your way up the ranks,seizing power and chock full of Sith stereotypes, then roll a SW. It is very much a prototypical Sith story while still remaining interesting,especially Act III.

If you want to play as a "Chosen One" and have that Mary Sue powerful character(and lets face it,sometimes we all want to),then roll a JK. I will say this though, the JK story really deals with the galaxy and the war as a whole, more so than most other classes; especially more than the Imperial class stories which seems to have them focused inward rather than outward as they should be.

Sith Warrior, by a mile. What a ridiculously potent power trip, start to finish.

They're both solid. The Knight is very traditional, ordinary person finding out s/he's the promised one and going on to fulfill his/her destiny, and I enjoyed it. The villains were superb; with most classes I can name one or two great antagonists, but the Knight seemed to have a memorable one for every planet. One element at the end of Act 2 almost destroyed my respect for the whole story, though:

The idea that the Emperor has 'poof, mind control' such that 'falling to the Dark Side' is a toggle switch on the Emperor's chair is, frankly, an insult. Way to undermine every story of fall or redemption ever. What the hell does any of it mean if the exact same effect can be achieved by somebody waving a magic wand?

The Warrior is wrought for Sith culture, and I liked that. The exploration of LS/DS that the writers chose may be basically a plain binary, but the implications throughout the game were remarkable, LS/DS Jaesa being the poster child. The world notices a LS Warrior vs. DS, sometimes even in spite of the most recent individual decision. One element in Act 3 almost destroyed my respect for the whole story, though:

Sorry, the removal of choice with Quinn's little venture was...we've been over this. Many times. I'll just say it's a staggeringly awful blemish on an otherwise very good gameplay experience.

The companions on both were fantastic. The Warrior crew was much, much more troubled.

Edited by bright_ephemera

i have played the JK and LS SW and DS SW. Let me tell you, the DS SW is by far the worst! you just feel like a tool being told what to do! the Jedi Knight story is a fun story in a campy cliche sort of way. its just traditional star wars with predictable twists. but that doesn't really take away from the enjoyment! but my favorite story would have to be the LS Sith Warrior. it is completely different then going dark! you try to reform the empire to being honorable and to follow the light. the interesting thing in it is that you have to hide this from most of the characters, even some of your companions! i live the fact that that for the sith warrior, the companions try to betray you, trick you, try to leave your command, and some try to help you and even love you! id say play a light side Sith Warrior!

For sheer Epicness, the JK wins hands down. It's KotOR III right there.

That said, I actually liked the SW story more. Also has an Epic feel to it, but not on the scale of the JK. In fact, both stories are tied together at critical points.

Taken each on its own, both tell a good self-contained story. But, taken as parts of a whole, the story is even more complete and satisfying. I recommend playing them both nearly simultaneously. Play each planet with JK first, then switch to the SW. It shows each interconnecting point better, imo.

Bioware had more lattitude in Sith Warrior's storyline, so it's more interesting. In fact, they had more lattitude with the Empire side period. Republic side sometimes feels like 'let's cram as many movie homages as we can into the plot.'

Bioware had more lattitude in Sith Warrior's storyline, so it's more interesting. In fact, they had more lattitude with the Empire side period. Republic side sometimes feels like 'let's cram as many movie homages as we can into the plot.'

I favor the SW storyline for a similar reason. With JK, I feel more pidgeon-holed into playing a stereotypical, peace loving, goody goody. :p

I favor the SW storyline for a similar reason. With JK, I feel more pidgeon-holed into playing a stereotypical, peace loving, goody goody. :p

Didn't try Dark Side Jedi Knight did you? even on tython you can do some pretty outright inhumane things.

The Cave with the Selkath has an excellent Dark Side choice where you basically feed off of the Dark Side Nexus there.

Sith Warrior is still far better than the Knight though.

• 2 weeks later...

having played both i think the knight was more for saving others and serving the republic, and the emphasis is on others including some companions, while the warriors story is all about me me me i am amazing my companions are just there for the ride, who cares about them?

I liked the sith warrior story better because i like revenge stories.

Didn't try Dark Side Jedi Knight did you? even on tython you can do some pretty outright inhumane things.

The Cave with the Selkath has an excellent Dark Side choice where you basically feed off of the Dark Side Nexus there.

Not to mention the male Knight can "get some" on Tython for some good DS points. :D

The most important aspect for me was the voice acting: I initially wanted to go Knight, but couldn't stand the voice. So I tried out Warrior. Holy moly, what a difference.

I do still want to complete Knight at some point, just for some of those iconic "one dude against the universe" cutscenes that I suspect lurk within, but Warrior will have to do for now.

SW's first chapter is very good and fit the Sith well, especially Tatooine and Alderaan's story. You also can make many choices.

The 2nd one is too straightforward and Vengen fell a bit too quickly, as a council member.

Chapter 3's story is good but I don't like the theme because it returned to the old betrayal and I don't like to serve under the Emperor following orders, he's no better than Baras. Since the JK can fight the Emperor, Satele Shan should be SW's final challenge, it's ok if she ran away after defeat.

• 2 months later...

Chapter 3's story is good but I don't like the theme because it returned to the old betrayal and I don't like to serve under the Emperor following orders, he's no better than Baras. Since the JK can fight the Emperor, Satele Shan should be SW's final challenge, it's ok if she ran away after defeat.

I agree, you should have a chance to fight Satele at some point in an empire story

Edited by yoohoohoo

I tried to play DS Jedi once but I hated it. I wanted to be like Count Dooku but almost all the DS options on the Republic side are just being a douche or a maniac that loves killing.. kinda like in KOTOR 1 where DS options were something like stealing a lollipop from a child.

In terms of story, Sith Warrior wins hands down for me. Like people have been saying, you really feel like you are getting stronger and i think that the bosses were really good at the end of each act. The fact that you have to kill Baras and draahg like two or three times shows just how powerful they are, and how powerful you are for killing them finally.

In terms of KOTOR continuity, i'd go with Jedi Knight because it's the typical hero rises from nothing story that you experienced with both Revan and Meetra Surik in Kotors 1 & 2 respectively. The Knight's story got a bit weird during act 2 end, act 3 start because of the whole brainwashing thing. Act 1 of the Knight is probably one of my favorite in the game because it had a true blend of what being a jedi is all about. The ability to turn Lord Praven for example. After the emotional scene of your master's death and taking your revenge on Darth Angral, the story kind of went downhill. The act three finale was good though and it almost redeemed the entirety of acts 2 and 3.

BTW i didn't put any spoiler tabs in this because this thread is comparing the full stories so its all one big spoiler in itself.

Sith Warrior is more interesting, keeps you riveted from the get go. Act 1 is amazing. Act 2 is not as interesting as Jedi Knight's Act 2. Act 3 isn't QUITE as good. Everyone notices your light and dark-sidedness, and responds accordingly.

Jedi Knight OTOH is pretty boring until the END of Act 1, where it picks up. NO ONE made any mention that I was dark side jerk until Act 2 when Lord Scourge finally said something.

Having played both completely, I'd say Sith Warrior is overall superior, since it's intro and Act 1 COMPLETELY outshines the Knight, until Act 2 where the Knight takes it, and Act 3 is pretty even in terms of interesting until the very end where both are pretty awesome.

• 4 years later...

:csw_redsaber::csw_bluesaber:

Prologue: The Sith Warrior plot is set up at a moderate pace, with a good balance. There is a nice amount of intrigue and a clear idea is set, of what Chapter One will be about, without giving away too much information. However, the Jedi Knight plot is full of filler quests in my opinion; Tython was okay, a basic story of a Jedi Knight trials, with some added twists, -the lead up to defeating Bengel Morr was pretty cool- but the action died down when the Knight got to Coruscant, becoming slow, and then slower.

Chapter One: The Jedi Knight simply went on a rampage to each designated planet to save someone, and kill either an Imperial or a Sith. It was pretty boring, to be honest. Yes, there were some dramatic moments, and some tongue-and-cheek prose from Kira that was worth listening to, but the overall story line didn't reach a climax, or start to build an amount of tension, until the Knight's former master was killed, the perpetrator, Darth Angral, was finally defeated, and Kira was saved from the grasp of the Emperor. The interlude between Nar Shaddaa and Tatooine that exploited Kira's connection to the Emperor was somewhat intriguing, but as soon as the quest was over, the tedious adventure continued.

The Sith Warrior, however, was much more elegant and complex in its approach to an underling's work; as the apprentice of Darth Baras, the warrior hunted their master's most loathed enemy's latest padawan, who had the ability to see through Baras' spies, able to detect their true nature. This mission was a double-sided in how the success of it would result in the death of a Jedi Padawan, but also ensure the privacy and secrecy of Baras' network of spies. Comparatively, the Jedi Knight only had one goal: to save the good guys, and kill the bad guys. How original.

Chapter Two: So, in typical Star Wars fashion, the Emperor was the most powerful being in the galaxy, and it was the Jedi Knight's job to defeat him; after Kira was found out as a 'child of the emperor' it was quite clear what the endgame would be. A predictable story is a tedious one, so that was exactly what Chapter 2 was. And the bummer was that the Jedi Knight didn't actually get to fight the Emperor, their strike team defeated in a single strike, because they were 'unprepared'. I didn't realize that one could spend so much time preparing to be unprepared.

The Sith Warrior moved onto a more political, martial plot, actually giving the story-line some diversity. It was clever to start with a private war between masters, so it could then lead into a more public, typical story. The Warrior was sent to different planets to obliterate some of the Republic's finest, yet only to find out that there was an internal battle going hand-in-hand with their objectives; to conclude the second chapter of the warrior's story, Darth Baras' ordered the Warrior to kill his master on the dark council, so that Baras would then take his place, in a fluid, complicated deception which ended in the death of one of the Empire's most respected and powerful Sith.

Chapter Three: The boredom continues as the Jedi Knight faces off against the Emperor's henchman, and just like in Chapter One, saves Jedi, but this time, they are corrupted by the Emperor's influence. Yay, more bad guys to kill! Sarcasm. When the Jedi Knight eventually assaults the Emperor's fortress, I must admit, it is an enjoyable moment, but it took too long to get there. The problem with the Jedi Knight story is that there are so many tedious, boring, unnecessary moments, and the dramatic moments are over-dramatized, in my opinion. At times, I feel there is no substance, and this makes for a poorly written story. And lastly, the Jedi Knight becomes a Jedi Master. Who would have guessed?

The betrayal of Darth Baras is sudden, and the appointment of Wrath is as well; the fact that the Warrior would then get the chance to be the Emperor's Wrath, and kill their former master is lively, intriguing, and extremely satisfying. The Warrior pursues Baras over the next chapter, and the rhythm and pacing of the story is much more seamless than the Knight's. For one thing, it is over one chapter, rather than two; the stories on each planet are also substanced, with parts that are important to both story that has passed, and story that is yet to pass. When Baras meets his end, the Wrath ends up an ally to the Dark Council, rather than being seated as one of its members. This individuality, despite the servitude to the Emperor, is original, just as the plot is.

Overall, both stories had their moments, but the Jedi Knight definitely had parts where you could fall asleep. The warrior, was much more original, and kept me awake the whole time.

I never played any of the KOTOR games and perhaps if I had, I wouldn't have such a dim view of the JK story because I could see it as a continuation of something else, instead of a poor attempt at making us all feel like Luke Skywalker without the family issues. Of course those issues and his powerful emotions which he does not always control are part of what make him interesting as a character, imo, and based on how bored the JK VA sounded half the time I have to wonder if he felt that way, too. ;) Of course I played my JK like the true Chosen One, my precious trash son Anakin, which means he's an immature twit with a mean streak a mile wide who tends to negotiate with the business end of his lightsaber. THAT was actually fun, being this brat of a Jedi that Satele probably would've liked to kick out of the Order, falling for a Sith lord after the one on your ship promises to raise your spawn as Sith...

But that pales in comparison to the SW story imo. I felt like too much was handed to me as a JK, even as DS, whereas the SW has to fight for everything and that kind of struggle is far more interesting for me. The voice acting is top notch for both genders. The English really do make the best villains, and perhaps it's in part because of how utterly indifferent they sound when they say cruel things like "There won't be a heart left beating." I do wonder who thought it was a good idea to put Baras in charge of the cookies we promise to potential Dark Side recruits, but overall the NPCs in the SW story were more memorable, too. Darth Vowrawn is an absolute treasure. The Hand are creepy af but amazing. And you get Darth Marr instead of Saresh on Makeb. That right there catapults the SW story past the JK imo :D

:csw_redsaber::csw_bluesaber:Overall, both stories had their moments, but the Jedi Knight definitely had parts where you could fall asleep. The warrior, was much more original, and kept me awake the whole time.

Excellent summation.

Edited by gaelicvixen

Which one draws you in more in your opinion, and why?

SW for me. JK just feels very generic. Probably because it is very generic. Personally, I just found it very difficult to become emotionally invested in the JK story. I knew that whatever the next choice I would make, it would probably be LS. Not because I decided to go LS, but because every DS decision on the JK is nonsensical. There was very little potential for nuance given the way the character is written, and I felt very restricted.

The JK is also the biggest Mary Sue in the entire game. It's ridiculous. Alternatively, Chapters I-III for the SW all serve to develop the character. I appreciated that.

My advice to anyone starting a SW for the first time, don't go 100% DS or LS. Personally, my Warrior leans toward DS, but he's a pragmatist with a pinch of honor, not a sadist. Although he's probably leaning more true neutral after KotFE/ET. There are many ways to play the SW, but it's up to you to maintain consistency -- which requires you to actually think about the choices you're faced with in the context of your past decisions.

And speaking of KotFE/ET, the relationship between the Emperor and the SW makes the story much more compelling. And that's another thing: I never really felt like the JK story was...well... about the JK. The JK always feels subordinated to the "cause".

For story, I'd say if you intend to play through the story from the very beginning of the game, play SW. If you're starting off with a character token (which I don't think anyone should), go JK.

I never played any of the KOTOR games and perhaps if I had, I wouldn't have such a dim view of the JK story because I could see it as a continuation of something else

To say that I played KotOR I-II would be inaccurate. I grew up with KotOR.

And no, the JK story did not succeed as a continuation of KotOR in my mind.