Are you playing ONLY because it is Star Wars?

EllieAnne

If this were a generic MMORPG would you have been gone by now?

For me, yes. This was my significant other's first MMORPG and only agreed to play because it is Star Wars. So I am still here for no other reason for us to play together, So put me down as only here because it is a Star Wars game. If there were a Marvel MMORPG we'd be gone in a second.

Yes. And also my guild.

Yes - I only play because its Star Wars. If I had picked it up as a random game and liked it, chances are I'd have stopped once I had played out each class story....don't think I'd have even stuck around for expansions.

Great thread by the way - I often think that EA/Bioware fail to really stop and think of the IP they have access to and the spread of ages it appeals to. I'd like to think if I had this product to run I'd be milking it a lot harder in terms of making batter use of potential new story and repeatable content within the environment they have created. I'd wager that a lot of Star Wars fans don't even know this game exists or what you can do in it - though they will all know about Battlefront or Fallen Order.

I often think that EA/Bioware fail to really stop and think of the IP they have access to and the spread of ages it appeals to.

I think they are perfectly aware of it. Any other IP gone through the same mistakes and mess up as this one would have closed a long time ago if it wasn't for Star Wars. And they are fully aware of the absurd amount of money it generates too, otherwise you wouldn't see two 40€ new weapons on the cartel market *each time a new patch drops*. It means that peoples are buying this stuff. A lot. So they're more than aware of how to get little investment for big profits regarding swtor. ;)

If this were a generic MMORPG would you have been gone by now?

For me, yes.

For me also yes, but... SWTOR is not a generic MMO in one important (to me) sense.

I started playing (back in 2012) not just because it was "Star Wars", but also because the gaming 'clan' I was in at the time was trying it out.

However, I haven't returned and kept playing because it's "Star Wars©", but rather, because it's a Sci-Fi MMORPG based upon 'modern' looking times, as opposed to so many others that are more cartoonish and set in medieval or medieval-like fantasy worlds.

That is to say, if SWTOR was more "anime", and/or too overloaded with fantasy elements, like most generic MMOs, and if there was some other non-fantasy choice I liked, I'd be gone.

But as it stands, SWTOR is the best non-sword&sorcery MMO I've tried.

(As of this time, I've played GW, GW2, and WoW, with trials of many others, such as DDO, STO, LOTRO, FF XIV, etc.)

Sort of. I'm not a massive fan of Star Wars either, I mean it's okay, nothing special. I think I'm more interested it the sci-fi part of, rather than specifically SW, it as I've never been a fan of fantasy stuff.

I guess I was just looking for an absolutely huge game to play over an extended period of time that was mostly single-player but with the option to do multiplayer stuff as well.

If a new sci-fi MMO appeared that was good I'd probably stop playing this game, at least regularly - would probably return every new content date, for the few hours that would take :p

I love Star Wars, but I am not in the game only because of it. I guess it is mainly because it doesn't have the over exagerated visuals and flashes and excess of effects that usually MMO's have, as well as giant weapons and giant pauldrons and, well you get the picture... weapon designs are quite realistic and simplistic (well not all of them hehe) and in general you get a feeling of being immersed in a kind of a novel and not in a flashy mess that appeals to kids.

Skill animations also are not exagerated stuff like in korean mmo's while at the same time no feeling stiff and outdated. The balance and immersion and story content keeps me hooked. If it was a random sci fi MMO with the same features I think I'd still be playing. I guess being a Star Wars game is the least of the atraction tbh because the writing for me is far from the feeling I got from Kotor and the movies.

Way to make me think about what to spend my money on.

Considering that I was not really a fan of the fantasy genre apart from Star Wars at a young age, and the only other current MMO game I play is Grand Theft Auto, if this game had the skin of a different universe around it I likely wouldn't play it.

Imagine being so bad at your job, that what amounts to a bug fix patch, breaks a good portion of the functionality of tacticals for most professions, introduces graphics glitches, and introduces even more random bugs. That’s our dev team. I’m most definitely not here for them. I’m here for the Star Wars. This game survives despite them, not because.

At this point, yes; I am only here because this is Star Wars. I have sunk a lot into this game, both in terms of time and money, but if the Star Wars appeal ceases to be a draw then I will walk away. I recently stopped playing another MMO that I had played for years, into which I had also sunk a lot of time and money, because the parts that appealed to me no longer outweighed the parts that did not. If this game ever gets to that point then I will walk away from it too. This is now the only MMO I play and will likely be the last MMO that I ever play.

I built a computer in 2013. Spent 2014 experimenting with various MMOs and as a result, discovered SWTOR early that year. Played others on and off throughout the years since then, but it was SWTOR I decided to main and thus SWTOR I decided to stick with. I am a fan of Star Wars, but also many other things, so it wasn't because SWTOR is Star Wars that drew me in, though that may have been a part of it.

As a matter of fact, SWTOR got me back into Star Wars--I was dealing with so much beforehand, that I felt like I had just crawled out from under a rock. I didn't even know who Revan was before SWTOR, for example. If only real life didn't get in the way, I would have been geeking out years prior. Heck, I remember enthusiastically following the development of the KOTOR games and Star Wars Galaxies, but never actually getting around to playing them (except the Beta for the latter.)

The atmosphere, aesthetic, music, storytelling, voice acting, customization, crafting, gearing, leveling, the freedom to be whoever you wanted with so many unique classes and class stories and multiple dialogue options with varying outcomes, were most of what drew me in. Pretty much everything really. It just felt so fun and looked so cool. My characters were brought to life more than any other MMORPG could manage, which drew me into the world and made it seem so real.

To me, SWTOR has lost a lot of its charm since then; a lot of what I liked about it isn't the same. While I no longer play SWTOR as often, I am certain I'll drop by every now and then, like I have done so just recently for example. And I'll continue to stalk the forums and reddit too. Other games may have my interest for the time being, but SWTOR will always be number one. It still feels like a second life, albeit with long periods of carbon-freezing between tiny story chunks.

2014 feels like yesterday, but I feel like SWTOR has been with me my whole life. It's hard to remember what life was like before I played this game for it took me like a storm.

Edited by ForfiniteStories

2014 feels like yesterday, but I feel like SWTOR has been with me my whole life. It's hard to remember what life was like before I played this game for it took me like a storm.

2014 does feel like yesterday, but so does 1975. With probably a bit more life on me, I can easily remember a time before Swtor. Gemstone III by Simutronics, was playing that in the 80's. My first "MMO" even though it was completely text-based, but it felt truly populated, with lots of players interacting, even factions of players building up beyond the game's self-hosted "guilds" like Circle of Light (the evil crowd) and the Pauper's Guild (wealth beyond imagination inside its doors).

My first graphical-based MMO that I played was Everquest 1, bought the game in 1999 and quickly learned what a graphics card was. Bought the game, brought it home, and the installation program said I lacked a graphics card, so I went back to the store, bought one, but it was PCI-based, and I had an AGP slot, so another lesson learned, so another trip to the store. Bought an AGP card, and was soon off an playing. I died on my first character from starving to death because I fell into a pool of water in Paineel, didn't know how to get out, and had no idea how to flag down players running past me to ask for help.

Edited by xordevoreaux

swtor has lightsaber warrior types that were relevant/useful in pvp. Wow warrior-types were in a bad place in 2011/2012 and heal/cc-spam was off the charts, so I dived into the pvp here until recently (6.0). It's funny because I disagree with just about every design choice this game has made (trinity, classes copying Wow, cc-spam almost as bad as Wow, Wow-invisibility, companions, no flying mounts, no ship command, planets with small, mostly empty zones, bad engine for crowds, clunky movement on slow mounts, etc) but I still like the game for "lightsabers". I've played all the other classes to at least 300 command ranks each and 100 renown each but none make any "sense" to me, I wouldn't play this game for them. The stories are nice but I was done with the stories in 2012 and everything since then has been very short. I'm looking at other games lately because, more and more, the lightsaber warrior types are just a dumb choice from a gameplay/pvp perspective.

First 'MMO' for me was the turn-based Neverwinter Knights on AOL. Then played Gemstone, then Dragonrealms, then a long list of other games with one foot in the door of several at any given time. I was focused on pvp in my graphics games. Except for City of Heroes which had no pvp at launch but it was awesome anyways because flying/jumping/superspeed/costumes and later housing - all much more fun than similar offerings in most other games before or since.

Edited by Savej