Valor Extension to 110?

Nickodemous

Heya folks!

Before I get started, I want to make it very clear THAT I KNOW VALOR IS MEANINGLESS. :D

With that being said, I really don't understand why it is still capped at 100. I don't see why every 2-3 yrs the level cap cant be raised by ten with the introduction of a new title or now flair. I have had 3 toons sitting at 100 for 6-7 yrs now and was on one the other night asking my self .... why?

I would just like to see some type of incentive for me to continue playing my mains and at least continue to get some kind of reward for a win (valor points).

Is this that pointless though? Thoughts? Just interested to see if I am the only one who wants to see the introduction of new titles/flairs.

Hey, Nickodemous.

I have never much cared for level cap increases on anything. There is an explanation, but it probably only makes sense to me, and it does not illuminate on my perspective much since I am weird.

Besides, as you mention, Valor is virtually meaningless. "Virtually" because it does show a measure of dedication a player has made to PvP with a particular character.

Edited by Sappharan

The incentive is fun. Entertainment. If you're not getting that out of it, then it is the wrong activity for you.

I get his meaning. Otherwise, why would people chase achievements. When the game gets slightly stale where one can derive enjoyment from playing, but it feels tedious sooner than before, something like this can reinvigorate players' desire to continue. It's the whole carrot method of enticing players to continue. However, extending Valor ranking may not be the way to do it.

I'd like to see a ranking system in regular PvP tied to medals (or some performance objective) that resists cheating methods for gains (id est: wintrading). That is, winning warzones would not be enough to improve one's standing.

Players could alternatively toggle on the title or not. But it could be "inspected" to let others know how well you generally perform in PvP. Something like what wow did (before they cancelled it) that would also be reduced for lack of attention to PvP.

Just spit balling.

I get his meaning. Otherwise, why would people chase achievements. When the game gets slightly stale where one can derive enjoyment from playing, but it feels tedious sooner than before, something like this can reinvigorate players' desire to continue. It's the whole carrot method of enticing players to continue. However, extending Valor ranking may not be the way to do it.

I'd like to see a ranking system in regular PvP tied to medals (or some performance objective) that resists cheating methods for gains (id est: wintrading). That is, winning warzones would not be enough to improve one's standing.

Players could alternatively toggle on the title or not. But it could be "inspected" to let others know how well you generally perform in PvP. Something like what wow did (before they cancelled it) that would also be reduced for lack of attention to PvP.

Just spit balling.

A very good assessment....u get it. :)

Why could they not do both though? I guess you could say I am a goal oriented person and would like to have some type of incentive to continue on with my older toons vs. leveling another to 100. Increasing the cap level would really not affect anyone except those who were interested in attaining the new level. I have several in the mid 80s now...yippie....another to level 100? Woooohooooo.....does not excite me anymore.

I really enjoy ranked and have played more this season than I have since maybe 5-6. The times in which it pops though just doesn't jive with my schedule anymore so I cannot commit to it like I used too. PVP is just kinda blah right now. Stale.

• 2 weeks later...
It should honestly be raised past 110. Just like the renown rank cap, it should be 999.

I would not be opposed to this. The current valor points system would have to be totally restructured though. Otherwise it would be an impossible grind. From my recollection, it takes roughly 600-650 wins (not including losses) to get to 100 and, remember, the current valor levels are scaled much higher as you progress. It could be set up though in a way in which Valor points were given for everything accomplished during a match. Like, 50 pts for a kill, 150 for solo kill, 250 for capturing a node, 50 pts for every guard level achieved during a match, etc.... I am just pulling this out of the air, but at least u could walk a way from a match with significant pts to make it work.

There are two reward systems that could be implemented: titles at like 250, 500, 750, and 999 and a valor vendor could be created in which one could purchase various skins, mounts, weapons, and other items based on their vlvl. Nice for those who only frequent regs.

At least valor could become somewhat relevant again. Have to admit though, it would probably be a whole heck of a lot easier just raising it to 110.....lol. It would certainly give players, like myself, something to work for though. Not a bad idea.

Edited by Nickodemous

why raise the cap for something that is useless and means nothing anyway...

fijohijh[ fjlh[d ijgo[dg jdg...... <----me beating head on key board.

Seriously, I agree with you 100%.....it means absolutely nothing. It could mean something though. :eek:

The changes made are not going to be reversed, so......IF fewer people are queuing because of these changes (which I have not seen) THEN, instead of asking the devs to go BACKWARDS, why should we not think outside the box to encourage participation.

I have thought about it all day and I really like the idea about making valor similar to renown gains. There is so much you could do with it.

Like many other parts of the game, we don't have the precise algorithm for valor calculation either. We at least have the valor requirements on a per-rank basis from the observations of players. The total valor required to reach rank 100 is 6,037,635.

The maximum valor rank I have on any character is 81. That is a little over 2,000,000 in valor with 1,999,505 required to reach 81. I have usually gotten eight medals in a match, often more.

Valor is based on the match type, duration, and individual contribution (medals, objectives, kills, deaths, DPS/Heals/DTPS ...), MVP votes, in my experience with unranked PvP. Any one or combination of factors doesn’t pre-determine the valor granted for a match; the game calculates it for each player after each match. Both wins and losses are rewarded with valor, so both need to be taken into account when calculating how many matches need to be played to reach maximum valor rank of "Elite Warlord" (or any valor rank, for that matter.)

I used to use the following assumptions for my valor calculations based on the above, assuming the use of a valor boost:

• Valor (Match Lost): 3,600
  • Valor (Match won): 4,200
  • Fraction of Matches Won: 0.4 (40% wins)

That gives an average valor gain per match of 3,840. Since the total valor required to reach rank 100 is 6,037,635 it will take 1,573 matches played to reach it.

The valor required to gain each additional rank increases at an exponential rate such that at 81 rank I still need 4,000,000 valor (= 1,028 matches) to reach 100 rank.

Rank 1 to Rank 81: 1,999,505 valor needed, 521 matches needed

Rank 81 to Rank 100: 4,038,130 valor needed, 1052 matches needed

This shows why it's insane to increase valor ranks any further. There are a lot of things the game needs, starting with bug fixes for existing achievements. The last thing it needs is to add grind.

Edited by mike_carton

Like many other parts of the game, we don't have the precise algorithm for valor calculation either. We at least have the valor requirements on a per-rank basis from the observations of players. The total valor required to reach rank 100 is 6,037,635.

The maximum valor rank I have on any character is 81. That is a little over 2,000,000 in valor with 1,999,505 required to reach 81. I have usually gotten eight medals in a match, often more.

Valor is based on the match type, duration, and individual contribution (medals, objectives, kills, deaths, DPS/Heals/DTPS ...), MVP votes, in my experience with unranked PvP. Any one or combination of factors doesn’t pre-determine the valor granted for a match; the game calculates it for each player after each match. Both wins and losses are rewarded with valor, so both need to be taken into account when calculating how many matches need to be played to reach maximum valor rank of "Elite Warlord" (or any valor rank, for that matter.)

I used to use the following assumptions for my valor calculations based on the above, assuming the use of a valor boost:

• Valor (Match Lost): 3,600
  • Valor (Match won): 4,200
  • Fraction of Matches Won: 0.4 (40% wins)

That gives an average valor gain per match of 3,840. Since the total valor required to reach rank 100 is 6,037,635 it will take 1,573 matches played to reach it.

The valor required to gain each additional rank increases at an exponential rate such that at 81 rank I still need 4,000,000 valor (= 1,028 matches) to reach 100 rank.

Rank 1 to Rank 81: 1,999,505 valor needed, 521 matches needed

Rank 81 to Rank 100: 4,038,130 valor needed, 1052 matches needed

This shows why it's insane to increase valor ranks any further. There are a lot of things the game needs, starting with bug fixes for existing achievements. The last thing it needs is to add grind.

I have to admit, I am impressed that you spent the time to crunch the numbers here. ;)

I get your point, it a grind. But what about those players who have already attained the valor needed and are still playing those toons on a regular basis? I just don't understand why this is an issue with folks or why people are worried about another grind WHEN WE ARE GOING TO QUEUE ANYWAYS.

On SS, Clandestu has almost 1500 WINS. He was capped years ago. Do you see my point here?

I have to admit, I am impressed that you spent the time to crunch the numbers here. ;)

I get your point, it a grind. But what about those players who have already attained the valor needed and are still playing those toons on a regular basis? I just don't understand why this is an issue with folks or why people are worried about another grind WHEN WE ARE GOING TO QUEUE ANYWAYS.

On SS, Clandestu has almost 1500 WINS. He was capped years ago. Do you see my point here?

I can see what you're getting at - i.e. who cares about how grindy it is if you're already maxed anyway.

That said, im at max Valor on a couple toons, and because of how grindy it was, have very little desire for them to add another 50 levels of that much grind.

If they implement a Valor cap raise, I think they'd also need to rescale the Valor amounts required to get to the new cap.

Short version I guess: I'm happy to have a toon or two at the cap and don't really enjoy that "im so close" feeling, especially when being 100 Valor (as you said yourself) means basically nothing.

Short version I guess: I'm happy to have a toon or two at the cap and don't really enjoy that "im so close" feeling, especially when being 100 Valor (as you said yourself) means basically nothing.

LOL! I know exactly what you mean. 90-100 "halfway" is actually a very long way. The "im so close" feeling does really happen!!

It's not worth it.

I have some characters at valor 100, it was fun at first to get the title/achv..but it's too grindy for something that means nothing, we don't want grind in PVP, we just want gear and a fight.

We should be more persistent in pressuring BW to fix the issues that plague the game as it is, not encourage them to implement more bug creating code.

• 8 months later...

The idea is pretty pointless while ever Bioware hand out valor boosters willy nilly and run double xp valor events.

I’ve saved enough valor boosts and valor point packs from login rewards and GS that I could easily boost a new Alt to 110 valor in a day.

Valor is a pointless gage of player suitability for ranked pvp because you don’t even need to play pvp to get valor anymore.

Bioware would be better off coming up with a new system that never gives you free boosters outside of playing pvp.

Valor is a pointless gage of player suitability for ranked pvp because you don’t even need to play pvp to get valor anymore.

hi. welcome to swtor. in fact, hi. welcome to mmorpgs. 90% of the titles and achievements in the game have no relationship to player skill or preparedness. he's asking for something that's right up BW's alley: a mindless grind that hurts no one if they do it and rewards easily "developed" cosmetic rewards (a title and a flair? oh my!).

hi. welcome to swtor. in fact, hi. welcome to mmorpgs. 90% of the titles and achievements in the game have no relationship to player skill or preparedness. he's asking for something that's right up BW's alley: a mindless grind that hurts no one if they do it and rewards easily "developed" cosmetic rewards (a title and a flair? oh my!).

You are correct! It like the stupid "limitless" title I am working on currently (999 renown) I have a bunch of characters 300-700 but only one close to 999. It is a dumb goal but one I will get done.

I still have no idea why the cap has not been raised in the past 10 years. As you said, it is a mindless grind. BUT....I just would like the opportunity to work for something on the toons I already have capped. It that simple.

If it’s just for the title then that’s a different scenario to what I was suggesting.

I still have no idea why the cap has not been raised in the past 10 years. As you said, it is a mindless grind. BUT....I just would like the opportunity to work for something on the toons I already have capped. It that simple.

Valor rank started off as a requirement for the PVP gear. want that battlemaster gear, you needed Battlemaster rank. was war hero the last set of gear with that requirement? it became a barrier for entry into PVP. glad that requirement went away.

when that requirement was removed, I think so was any dev team interest in valor. to answer your question, I think valor has been left unchanged for so long is just another symptom of the over all lack of interest in PVP by the dev team.

If it’s just for the title then that’s a different scenario to what I was suggesting.

i must be missing something. where in this thread was something else even suggested? not in the OP. I only skimmed the replies. all I see is the same guy consistently saying "yeah. it's meaningless/harmless. just give me the rank and the title."

i must be missing something. where in this thread was something else even suggested? not in the OP. I only skimmed the replies. all I see is the same guy consistently saying "yeah. it's meaningless/harmless. just give me the rank and the title."

No, you didn’t miss anything. I think I was the one that skimmed the thread and wrongly assumed the thread was to do with ranked gating.

I have come to the realization that I have gotten too old for ranked. :D I turn 50 next month and, although I do still enjoy pvp, I do not have the time nor the desire to participate in that venue anymore. I have been pvping for 22 yrs now in some form or fashion and am more interested in taking the casual approach now. When I had to start wearing readers to play....because you cannot read the screen...it time for some self evaluation....lol!

I just thought the devs were rather creative with GS. It encouraged people to play and branch out into new realms that were not normally explored. As for myself, I will use GSF as an example. I would not give it the time of day before GS but I find myself queuing for it more now than regs.

A restructuring of an existing dead system - Valor - similar to that of GS could incent more participation. It could be as simple as a Valor vendor that unlocks various items based on level. Why not lift the cap to 110 and reward people for playing? It certainly can't hurt.

Edited by Nickodemous