How does BioWare feel about GSF just being used by PVE players to farm conquest?

HaoZhao

For the record, I don't even disagree with you. It needs to be fixed but I don't personally think it's cheating, if only because it doesn't increase one's chances of winning a game. That is a point on which we agree.

I was just commenting on the fact that there's been a lot of him taking shots at you in a few threads now and if I'm noticing it, someone else will be too.

For what it's worth I'm glad you're trying to help people out here. Game needs more of it.

Appreciate the support Sriia. And the thing is I know that most seasoned Aces agree with me too, because I am in regular contact with a good number of them. But I am one of the few willing to do what I do, and say what I say. But I am fully understanding why the others keep a lower profile, and sometimes I really want to just give up trying to help everyone.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least in my experience he's been open to differing opinions if you can back up your reasoning. I'm inclined to agree that broken geometry isn't cheating per se since it's not present around objectives anymore and confers no real advantage if you stop and think about it for more than two seconds. Ticking is arguably a bigger problem, but I wouldn't call it cheating either since the game allows you to do it.

If I had to pick, I would rather see the geometry fixed, but it's not like feeders are feeding any faster just because some idiot went and wedged himself inside some broken geometry and just sits there.

Depends on usage. It provides additional map information but unlike other ships is nearly immune to damage. It's not actively attacking players but new players are prone to die multiple times -- they aren't going to know about this any more than knowing about the long persisting deselect bug. Sure, newer players tend to die a lot....to everything -- they don't need to die repeatedly to someone they have no means of killing.

Historically speaking? It's pretty common, even on the forums, particularly anytime there's an influx of new players. And they have invariably always been mistaken about what's going on. Even with the broken geometry most of them think there's some sort of position hacks involved to do it when it's really just bad map design.

You want to know what's really bad for new players though? Coming in here and seeing every thread filled with you two bickering.

I haven't seen that many accusations on the forums - and I was checking in from time to time even in the years I was gone.

New players don't tend to look at these forums. New players tend to have a poor experience in GSF and never look back. But, with the combination of seasons and conquest people who wouldn't touch gsf are doing so on a regular basis. The leeching is still there, but with seasons "enticing" players on a longer term, more often than not players realize there's reason to bother improving if they're going to have to do it a long while.

A little discourse isn't a bad thing -- it means people care enough to have an opinion. Sure beats apathy or disgust.

Appreciate the support Sriia. And the thing is I know that most seasoned Aces agree with me too, because I am in regular contact with a good number of them. But I am one of the few willing to do what I do, and say what I say. But I am fully understanding why the others keep a lower profile, and sometimes I really want to just give up trying to help everyone.

Here's the thing -- the vast majority of the community of regulars in GSF aren't "aces". Back in 2015-2016 I couldn't keep track of them because there were soooo many. Now they stand out a lot more because there are so few (at least in comparison).

It's a good thing that you're putting forth the effort. Many have tried to varying degrees. Despon probably put in the most work in recent memory, but the playerbase didn't come close to matching his effort. People don't "give up" helping because they feel the community is against them, but because the information and tools they offer get ignored and underutilized.

Personally, I wish more pilots were aces and veterans. Not just for the sake of better matches, but for my own personal enjoyment. It's not so easy to focus one target when everyone around you is a threat. It's been a long time since I've entered a match fully confident every player on both sides was very good you had to treat EVERY player like they were that ace topping the board constantly with 20-30+ kills.

Your passion to bother at all is a good thing Luc. But remember there are a lot more pilots that never bother to post in the forums or are in the discord. Think back to your thread about what makes someone an ace. Notice how there was no definitive answer and varying opinions. How about the slicing? I remember when you didn't think it a big deal until you became a constant target. So much in fact that you started a petition and the COMMUNITY backed you up. Yet even then there were a few naysayers.

Now, taking that back to something as silly as the map exploits -- some players consider it cheating while others do not.

Google defines cheating as:

"act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination"

Those that agree see an unfair advantage but those who do not feel there is no "real" advantage despite near immunity to damage, or they aren't being deceptive the newbs just don't know better, or a number of other things or combinations.

I can disagree with Sriia on this. But that doesn't mean I don't value her contributions either. Putting the effort to manage the unofficial Discord and all the random personalities in it is admirable. I've played with and against her countless times so I'd never discount her ability. Just because we don't agree doesn't mean its "personal".

In fact the last time we disagreed about something was in regards to "pity sats". I didn't even realize it was her at first. It wasn't that I thought she was outright wrong, but at the time I was more concerned with a bleeding population. Obliterating folks who dont stand a chance in a one-sided match is the kind of experience that makes most people never come back. But now that I no longer have to fly on a different server just to reliably get matches I'm more inclined to agree with her now.

That's not to say I stopped being gentle when I can see the win is in the bag -- but if I feel they are just leeching their way afk I'm not going to treat them the same as someone at least trying.

You don't need to agree with everyone on everything. But know that a difference of opinion shouldn't always be treated as an affront either.

How about the slicing? I remember when you didn't think it a big deal until you became a constant target. So much in fact that you started a petition and the COMMUNITY backed you up.
Nope, I always hated slicing. Ask Drakolich when he started coaching me. Ask Etri on Malgus (though he hates me - I'm sure he would still verify it) since he saw my progression from day one. I hated slicing from the moment I started getting good in T1F, which was circa 2 years ago. There is a lot you don't know about me Roland, and most of the comments you make in this text wall, don't have a lot to do with what we were talking about. So I am not going to reply to them. Edited by Ttoilleekul

Nope, I always hated slicing. Ask Drakolich when he started coaching me. Ask Etri on Malgus (though he hates me - I'm sure he would still verify it) since he saw my progression from day one. I hated slicing from the moment I started getting good in T1F, which was circa 2 years ago. There is a lot you don't know about me Roland, and most of the comments you make in this text wall, don't have a lot to do with what we were talking about. So I am not going to reply to them.

When I first entered the gsf discord after being gone for over 3 years I made a mention of how potentially abusive it was. At the time you didn't think it was that bad and even had your anti-slicing ship build and felt so far it had been effective.

I don't know about your "training" and previous experience other than Drak was a major influence. But I was referencing how DISMISSIVE you were then because you didn't agree with me at the time. Had nothing to do with your myriad of experiences but OUR specific interactions at the time.

Even now you're being dismissive instead of simply noticing that people can disagree without it being PERSONAL. Why do I need to know your history, your life etc? We're discussing something as menial as GSF.

Have things really gotten so bad that people can't respect the views of others simply because they aren't the same.... in a video game?

Now if you feel I've been attacking you I apologize - I just didn't like how you treated some of the players that responded to you and wanted you to see why it would be offensive, particularly to the people you're trying to help the most.

I get that people throw out accusations that can be extreme. I agree that people jump to conclusions based on their limited knowledge and experience. But I also remember how one of the most obnoxious players in GSF who did all of that and more also eventually became a great player.

People who care enough to post at all may not share your views, but if you'd rather dismiss them outright than at least give them some thoughtful consideration you'll be the one missing out in the end.

When I first entered the gsf discord after being gone for over 3 years I made a mention of how potentially abusive it was. At the time you didn't think it was that bad and even had your anti-slicing ship build and felt so far it had been effective. - I had an anti-slicing ship on my bar. This shoudl tell you everything you need to know about what I think of slicing. Its a cancer in the game. Search the discord or this forum and you will see my feelings on it pre-date the decision to start the petition to nerf it.

I don't know about your "training" and previous experience other than Drak was a major influence. But I was referencing how DISMISSIVE you were then because you didn't agree with me at the time. Had nothing to do with your myriad of experiences but OUR specific interactions at the time. - we don't agree on anything Roland, we never have.

Even now you're being dismissive instead of simply noticing that people can disagree without it being PERSONAL. Why do I need to know your history, your life etc? We're discussing something as menial as GSF. - Dismissive of things you say that have very little to do with a topic we are trying to discuss. Like me saying I know that a lot of active Aces agree with me about the state of cheating in the game, and you raising that there were more active Aces pre5.5. What does that have to do with anything? Yes, I am dismissive of that and a lot of things you say because your comments are very left field, pre5.5 nostalgic, and go into tangents rather than sticking to the topic at hand. If I responded to everything you say we would be having 101 conversations simultaneously. But you already know I think this about you from disocrd.

Have things really gotten so bad that people can't respect the views of others simply because they aren't the same.... in a video game? Yes.

Now if you feel I've been attacking you I apologize - I just didn't like how you treated some of the players that responded to you and wanted you to see why it would be offensive, particularly to the people you're trying to help the most. - I feel like you take shots at me. You did it on discord, you were a factor in me leaving. Not the primary one, but a factor nonetheless. And now you do it here. Clearly I am not the only one to notice. My private discord has noticed it. This predisposes me to not listening to most of what you say.

I get that people throw out accusations that can be extreme. I agree that people jump to conclusions based on their limited knowledge and experience. -I get the impression you don't realise how much this happens to me, and others. After all, you said you don't get accused of cheating very often. Perhaps you don't get flamed like we do. Did you know that you flamed Invis for premading and DO grabbing? When he was infact solo? It gets tedious when you receive that kind of treatment often, and yes that predisposes me to being curt with people who behave like that simply because of the level Invis or msyelf play at. But I also remember how one of the most obnoxious players in GSF who did all of that and more also eventually became a great player. - Again, what does this have to do with anything? I assume you are talking about Krixarcs. Yes he was obnoxious, yes he made himself a villain. He wanted that image. I agree with you, I just have literally no idea why you're bringing it up. Someone might be a great player, but if they are a jerk , they are still a jerk.

People who care enough to post at all may not share your views, but if you'd rather dismiss them outright than at least give them some thoughtful consideration you'll be the one missing out in the end.

With your last comment I can only assume you are talking about my attitude toward people who come on here claiming cheat every day. Sorry, but I will never have respect for that. As Sriia put it, it is not a problem of a magnitude that people are winning games by cheating - short of the occasional self destructing to finish it quicker. I report cheaters more than anyone - I feel confident in saying that. If you go back and check my opening comments to people who scream cheat all the time, you will see I am actually respectful to start with. I did not "attack" matey here like he says I did. But I have very little time for these persistent claims, all the more so when so many of them are statistically wrong. There was also a very different manner in the way Trixie inquired about the potential for cheating in what he had seen and the way that other dude did it. Trixie asked a genuine question looking for experienced answers, the other guy just comes on and paints a picture so bad you would think it rife and cancerous. So I will repeat my stance. Video it, or can it. I make no apologies for that stance or the manner in which I say it. If you had been flamed and accused of cheating as much as me (Or Invis or Krubb and more!), for no other reason than the level you fly at (which it can only be because I never had interaction with those people before they accused me of cheating) you would see it like me. This is why I am in a small discord with other pilots who get it. They see it like me because they experienced it like me.

Lastly, can we stop this now please? If you want to discuss me and you and try to improve the relationship we have, can we take it private please? It doesn't feel the place to be doing it here.

Edited by Ttoilleekul