Do not roll "Need" for companion gear.

face_hindu

First, let me say that I don't roll for items that I don't need. That goes for clicking greed as well. I have never been in a position to want an item for a companion either.

Now, with that said, let me say this: GROW UP!

If you need an item, you need an item. Be it for yourself, your companion, your alt, your cat, or for toilet paper.

Companions are an extension of your player. Items on them are just as important as items on you. If you have a use for it, then it's your right to try and get it. That's why the roll system is in place. If you have a use for it and no one else does, then you gain an advantage in drawing it. If someone else needs it just as much as you do, then it all comes down to the luck of the draw.

It doesn't matter WHAT you need an item for so long that you actually have an intended use for it.

Now, to reiterate so people don't come back at me for being selfish or something, I have never rolled for items that I needed or my companion needed. So I am not speaking from experience here, just out of principle.

But I would have absolutely no problem with someone winning a roll for an item that I could have really used just so they can put it on their companion or strip the mods out of it and sell it. Why? Because I realized that my winning/losing of an item was purely chance. I lost to chance, and they won by chance. I concede my defeat and get on with my life.

Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to really grow up and stop complaining about stupid stuff like this.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm completely lost on this one...

If you play a pet class, and you can roll on an item that will make your pet stronger, how is that not "need"?

Your pet is an extension of your character. If your pet is stronger, so are you.

i guess in gonna roll need for all items.

even if my companion doesnt use it, im gonna lie and say they do, since i have lets say 5 companions so far, or was it 6 ?

then after i have it, im gonna sell it to the vendor for extra cash.

why not ?

since peeps want to roll leet gear for their companions, i'll do the same, but not for my companions, just for my greedy self !

its a free world.

... im only kidding ! ive only grouped with pugs twice, and never had i rolled need for my companions.

respect goes a long way... respect is earned, not bought ! and no sweet talkers can freely acquire respect.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent one and a half hours in a FP as a Sage and the Guardian rolled Need and won all the Willpower pieces. My sage is wearing rags and really needed those pieces.

Other games have it so that you can only roll Need for your character and I hope that this game will follow suit.

I have read all the replies and it is still to me.. a selfish greedy person that does not honor the basics in MMOs of rolling need for what the character you are playing at that moment can use.

It is a matter of decency and respect of others to follow that need means.. i need it for THIS character.

Both sides make interesting points, but I lean to the common courtesy side. However I recognize the companion thing does throw a kink in the established system, too.

It's unfortunate BW did not take Blizz's lead in establishing a similar system right from the get go or at least address the specific issue and establish their "official" opinion.

It's unfortunate BW did not take Blizz's lead in establishing a similar system right from the get go or at least address the specific issue and establish their "official" opinion.

Totally agree and this issue does need to be addressed.

Question, being relatively new to MMO's, what is the "standard practice" on selecting need for orange equipment that doesn't fit your class, but that you plan on modding for your strengths because you like the look of it? Edited by ActionJim
clarifying that I am new to MMO's

It's not really a big deal. If your Companion needs the gear, ask your group if it's okay to press the Need button. If another player could use it, let them have it.

I play a Scoundrel, and it's about as important that your companion have up-to-date gear as it is for you.

Still, it's better to ask first.

• Dev Post

Need vs. greed isn't as simple in our game because of companions, as well as Orange Gear and mod extraction.

We will probably limit the 'need' button to only people who match the primary class the gear is meant for, and add a new button in between need and greed for players to choose if they intend the gear for these purposes - this will allow CC users to roll against each other without competing with the guy who wants to sell the gear for credits.

I don't have a timeline on this for you guys right now, though - certainly not in the next major patch. In the meantime, I strongly recommend that players who care clearly decide the expected need/greed role behaviors ('no companion need rolling or you're out!') when a group is initially formed. In the meantime, I'll work on getting this feature in the works.

Need vs. greed isn't as simple in our game because of companions, as well as Orange Gear and mod extraction.

We will probably limit the 'need' button to only people who match the primary class the gear is meant for, and add a new button in between need and greed for players to choose if they intend the gear for these purposes - this will allow CC users to roll against each other without competing with the guy who wants to sell the gear for credits.

I don't have a timeline on this for you guys right now, though - certainly not in the next major patch. In the meantime, I strongly recommend that players who care clearly decide the expected need/greed role behaviors ('no companion need rolling or you're out!') when a group is initially formed. In the meantime, I'll work on getting this feature in the works.

Excellent!

In this vein, I think that some additional filters should be added on vendors. Right now, if I select useable, it still lists every item on the vendor (I assume since at least one of my companions can use it). This is either bugged, or not a particularly useful filter.

If they add a cross-server LFG system, I see no reason NOT to roll need on anything my companion will use.

If there is no community, there is no community.

PuG Life.

Yup all this talk is moot once cross server LFG arrives. I will still agree to the rules since it may keep someone else from needing what I want, but I will need on what I want and nothing will happen. All the talk of black lists lol.

I'm good with that.

Thanks!

So why are you simplifying it then?

I understand why its very provocative to go that route but not rolling need on gear or mods for companions is really a matter of opinion and shouldn't be factored into random group looting.

Those with different opinions should take it upon themselves to form their own groups with their special needs in mind instead of collectively enforcing such an ideal on everyone else.

Plus, you set a precedent where you interceded on behalf of one group over another thus setting yourselves up to live up to that expectation again and again.

Thanks! I honestly hate when people are like "needing for comp" Im like well hell if I would've known you'd done that then I would press need for every single item that drops ya greedy bastard, anyway glad this is happening :cool:

People who roll need on companion gear are f$%#.

I roll need on gear I need and will wear that instant.

I don't roll need on gear that I can wear but the stats are obviously for another class. That's being a f$#$.

If I win a piece a gear I will pass if I see a party member could use that gear if it drops later during a FP.

Just because it's a pug doesn't mean it's free license to be an *****%$. Believe it or not there is such a thing as being courteous to other players even if your matched up through LFD.

I spent one and a half hours in a FP as a Sage and the Guardian rolled Need and won all the Willpower pieces. My sage is wearing rags and really needed those pieces.
Don't show up to flashpoints undergeared, eh?

I've never really seen why "I under geared so deserve loot more" is supposed to make any sense.

Other games have it so that you can only roll Need for your character and I hope that this game will follow suit.
How many of them have companions that are comparable to the ones in swtor?

I have read all the replies and it is still to me.. a selfish greedy person that does not honor the basics in MMOs of rolling need for what the character you are playing at that moment can use.
I've got 6 wrist slots. in 2 of them, I can only wear light armor, and I need willpower based gear; in 2 of them I can wear medium armor, and get the best benefit from cunning; in the last 2, I can wear heavy armor, and get the best benefit from aim.

I'm not really clear on why one person wanting the item for one of their 6 wrist slots is greed while the other isn't. It looks to me like both are equally selfish and greedy.

It is a matter of decency and respect of others to follow that need means.. i need it for THIS character.
Why is your want, for one particular wrist slot more important than someone else's want for a different wrist slot? Edited by ferroz

Don't show up to flashpoints undergeared, eh?

I've never really seen why "I under geared so deserve loot more" is supposed to make any sense.

How many of them have companions that are comparable to the ones in swtor?

I've got 6 wrist slots. in 2 of them, I can only wear light armor, and I need willpower based gear; in 2 of them I can wear medium armor, and get the best benefit from cunning; in the last 2, I can wear heavy armor, and get the best benefit from aim.

I'm not really clear on why one person wanting the item for one of their 6 wrist slots is greed while the other isn't. It looks to me like both are equally selfish and greedy.

Why is your want, for one particular wrist slot more important than someone else's want for a different wrist slot?

Gee I dunno, maybe because it's a piece of gear you would wear on your main toon?

How about not being a loot whore?

Gee I dunno, maybe because it's a piece of gear you would wear on your main toon?
Yeh... so that's what I'm saying I don't understand ... why is one person's desire more important than the other person's desire?

To me, this just sounds like you think you're entitled to loot without having to win a roll for it. That sounds WAY more loot whorish than the person who thinks that noone is entitled to it until they've won it.

How about not being a loot whore?
I think that either both are being a loot whore, or neither of them are.

Yeh... so that's what I'm saying I don't understand ... why is one person's desire more important than the other person's desire?

To me, this just sounds like you think you're entitled to loot without having to win a roll for it. That sounds WAY more loot whorish than the person who thinks that noone is entitled to it until they've won it.

I think that either both are being a loot whore, or neither of them are.

You can self-rationalize any way you want.

It is easy to determine what piece of gear is the best match for a class.

You can self-rationalize any way you want.

It is easy to determine what piece of gear is the best match for a class.

Well, unfortunately, the same people that designed that gear also saw fit to saddle us with 5 gear dependent companions as well. Their marketing department told me in various videos I'd have a blast having them around and gearing them up.

Guess not, eh?