Hackers

MynockSushi

It's clear Bioware is okay with Gold Sellers. I'm sure they make a profit off them since they allow them to post their offers. But now we have hackers in GSF. I'm pretty sure they\re in PVP so I've stopped playing there. IF I have to stop playing GSF cuz of Hacks. I will not renew my semi annual sub anymore. If cheating is okay please let me know so I can benefit as well, and if credit sellers are supported and sponsored by Bioware/EA.. Let me know so I can have an advantage as well. Edited by MynockSushi

I don't know why I'm bothering to repeat this, because nothing I can say is going to convince you.

This isn't a thing. It's just not, not in GSF at least. Please include video evidence if you think I'm wrong about this.

What's most likely happening is that you're being killed quickly by someone who is significantly better at the game than you are, and you didn't understand what happened to you at the time. That or you're seeing the product of lag (people jumping around badly) and not recognizing that for what it is.

But yeah, if you've got something else in mind I and others would love video evidence.

I actually have a question about this... I've seen sometimes a player having the "Damage Overcharge" icon long past the buff's allotted time. I've assumed this is simply a GUI issue, but I did have some doubt in one particular match where the guy just kept zipping around 2-3 shotting everyone.

I actually have a question about this... I've seen sometimes a player having the "Damage Overcharge" icon long past the buff's allotted time. I've assumed this is simply a GUI issue, but I did have some doubt in one particular match where the guy just kept zipping around 2-3 shotting everyone.

It's most likely that player just kept getting DO's after the 1st one had expired, or it really was a UI glitch.

I don't see it often, but now that I know that Bioware requires video evidence, I'll remember to record what I'm seeing. It has nothing to do with damage dealing, but I keep coming across opposing players whose ships are jumping around the screen in order to avoid missile lock or the gun reticle. It's almost like they're twitching. Anybody else?

I have seen that jumping around behavior occasionally. It is caused by network lag. Players whose ships are doing this are hard to hit but tend to be ineffective on offense. Once I saw a bomber with lag move into right into the mist of the opponents, dropping mines as he went. In that case it did work to his advantage. On very rare occasions (like 2 or 3 times in thousands of matches) I have seen what appeared to be a ship that jumped around when being attacked, but flying normally when attacking opponents. But that might have been just selective memory when intermittent lag caused differences in how the ship flew.

I have thought of 3 possible ways to introduce controllable lag, of various difficulties and unknown effectiveness. I have never tried them out, and will not describe them here so as not to tempt anyone from trying them. But if I can think of ways, others can also. So it might be possible for someone to set up a way to lag when he wants, and stop lagging when he wants. It has never caused enough of a problem for me, I have a lot more trouble when the top pilots get after me. I have never felt there was any other hack being used. I do not know much about how real time data about GSF ship behavior is exchanged between client and server, so I have no idea what would be possible. But it would require expert programming skills, plus either access to network driver source code or writing a custom driver, to hack ship performance.

There are many ways for burst damage to cause a very rapid death. The most obvious is multiple attackers hitting at the same time. If you are fighting another player, it is not hard for multiple gunships to shoot at you at the same time as your immediate opponent is shooting you. Damage overcharge can result in a quick kill. A few players have learned where all the damage overcharge spawn points are on the map and have enough awareness to locate them while in the middle of the battle. Once I got very lucky and stumbled on 3 DO in fairly rapid succession, making it look like I had DO for a long time. Some players are very adept at using the "pile driver" technique on Star Guard/Rycer, switching back and forth between blaster weapons in such a way to greatly increase damage. I use that method myself sometimes, I am sure that there are players who have the timing down more exactly to get the maximum benefit. It is very common for missiles to hit at the same time as blaster fire from the same ship, I have had many kills where I don't know whether the missile or blaster did the final blow.

Ok, here's another question for you experts:

I'm flying with a bomber and I get hit by what appear to be all (or most) possible debuffs (I get 7 debuff icons on my GUI) at the same time. Basically my ship is nearly stopped frozen without being able to do anything.

First time this happens, I just chalk it up to having flown in the mid of several enemy ships.

Then it happens a second time. I barely survive... and then a third time within a 45 seconds period. And these last two times was a 1 vs 1.

Is there any ship which can do something like that?

Yes.

Interdiction mines from a bomber, combined with another similar type de-buff.

Happens a lot around other bombers who use interdiction mines.

Servo Jammer does that and can be applied by touch of a button, along with a few others abilities certain ships have.

Ion splash from gunships can also cause you to slow.

Those, combined with interdiction mines, can make you seem like you are standing still even when spacebarring.

Its pretty common, mostly in DOMs though.

100% guarantee this is just a player who knows when and where the DO's spawn and always picks them up. To you it looks like he always has DO, that's because he does. Done right there are only brief moments between not having one. And Iokath for example spawns more random rare spawn DOs than other maps do. At Iokath I am often on my way to one of the super cluster (DO only) spawn points to get DO, when I see a rare spawn DO closer. To the untrained eye I always have DO, and to all intents and purposes I do.

Also note that slug rail gun with Damage Over charge is a one-shot to most ships. Gunships, strikes and Scouts more often than not one-shot with it. Bombers take one full charge and a quarter charge as do reinforced armor strikes or something with directional shields / Fortress shields. Pilerdriver with DO feels like a one-shot. BLC + TT or Blaster Overcharge with DO is brutal and will also feel like a one-shot. Worse still the latter build can be on next to no health with the ship engulfed in flames moving into a position to shoot at you. You see it coming and think "easy kill" but you don't realize he has all his cool-downs available. He might be critical hull damage but once activated all his cool-downs he has 80% evasion or more. Result, he still kills you and you didn't hit him. Conclusion: the untrained players assumes he was cheating. How can it be a ship so close to death couldn't be hit but still obliterated me? I remember thinking this way.

These things rattle people and makes them angry, but the bottom line is that player has taken a moment to learn the DO locations. (You can do the same. There are maps and guides about it on this forum) and understand the mechanics of just what is possible with different builds.

Edited by Ttoilleekul

Ok, here's another question for you experts:

I'm flying with a bomber and I get hit by what appear to be all (or most) possible debuffs (I get 7 debuff icons on my GUI) at the same time. Basically my ship is nearly stopped frozen without being able to do anything.

First time this happens, I just chalk it up to having flown in the mid of several enemy ships.

Then it happens a second time. I barely survive... and then a third time within a 45 seconds period. And these last two times was a 1 vs 1.

Is there any ship which can do something like that?

Ok let's take an example. T1S (Novadive - Blackbolt) with lets say EMP field, Sabotage probe. EMP field is one debuff. Co-pilot ability is second debuff. You're in a bomber so you now have almost no chance of evading the sabo-probe. which puts three debuffs on you. That's five debuffs from one ship, and if timed well can all happen very quickly. You could well have been in a one v one situation in your vicnity, but it would only take a GS at 15k range to put another 2-3 debuffs on you at the same time. You just can't see the GS (or more likely haven't noticed it). This is why its good to learn to recognize the debuff and buff icons so you know exactly what has been done to you. In some cases this will allow you to avoid what's coming next. but otherwise at least you know what happened and wont need to assume its cheating.

I don't see it often, but now that I know that Bioware requires video evidence, I'll remember to record what I'm seeing. It has nothing to do with damage dealing, but I keep coming across opposing players whose ships are jumping around the screen in order to avoid missile lock or the gun reticle. It's almost like they're twitching. Anybody else?

Lag. I know this is hard to accept but that's what it is. I myself have been told on rare occasions that I am jumping around the screen. Called Rubber banding. The game is trying to synchronize what is really happening (the server) with what people anywhere around the globe are seeing. Lag will make for some strange happenings. This is also why people complain about being "shot through" something. What happened was due to lag their opponent could still "see" them when they thought they were out of line of sight. Or another: when I play on Starforge my ping is 80-100. Not huge but enough to make strange things happen compared to DM where I play with 20-30 ping. On Starforge I can often hit ships at 152/3K range with a rail gun. Which shouldn't happen. Lag. Or I fly past someone trying to lock me, think I am clear past them, but it still locks and fires. Lag.

The only thing I regard as cheating is an exploit known as the Line of sight exploit. This (most commonly used by Gunships) is an exploit where if you hug an object REALLY close, then strafe to acquire a sight on your target, there is a narrow point at which you are able to "see" them before they can "see" you. To the target it appears as if the rail gun fires through the object the shooter is hiding behind. Certain players are notorious for using this. But few know about it and even fewer use it. But it's the closest thing to actual cheating in the game mode.