Upcoming Update of the Game Launcher

JackieKo

• Dev Post

Note: This new update does not impact Steam users.

Hello everyone,

We’re continuing to take steps to improve the player experience with SWTOR, so let’s talk about some testing we’ll be conducting in the next week.

In short, for non-Steam players, we're updating the game launcher with a much more efficient patching system that is closer to the performance already enjoyed by players on Steam, allowing faster delivery that ultimately translates to shorter download times for our players.

Beginning next week, we will release this update to a small subset of players before releasing it live to everyone. This update will be in the launcher itself, not the game client. The launcher update happens BEFORE the login screen is enabled, so you will still have to log in again as normal when playing the game.

Are players expected to download anything on their end?

Players who have the latest game client with our current launcher will not need to download anything again. However, if they have an older version of the launcher (anything before the 7.1a version), they will.

Further details on what this looks like for players who use the current launcher

All players with the latest version of the launcher will NOT need to download the game client. When we are ready to deploy the new launcher, it will APPEAR as a client download (as it uses the same progress bar), but it will only be scanning files to compare them to the new data structure. The “download” in this case refers not to re-downloading the game client but downloading small pieces of information for validating the game data already on disk. So to reiterate once more, players will not be experiencing a full download.

For now, I am locking this thread, but we’ll reopen it when we roll out the initial subset testing. When this thread is unlocked, please only use this thread to report any issues or ask questions directly related to the new launcher. Any other type of post will be deleted, as we need to keep information here consolidated and succinct.

Players who are selected to help us test this will notice a red banner toward the top of their launcher informing them they have been selected. If you are a player that was included in the subset to test this update and you are experiencing issues, please detail your issue in a reply to this thread.

Provided that testing goes well and there are no issues, this update is intended to go live on September 22. Should this timing change, I will inform you all with an update.

Note: FR and DE translations of this post will be published at the latest, Monday, September 19th.

Thanks, everyone!

Jackie

EDIT:

Received some questions regarding the above, and will leave answers below:

How much will players have to download if they don’t have their game updated to 7.1a at the time the new launcher goes live?

• Even though it will not be a full game download, players can expect up to a 1/3 of a complete client, however, the new launcher will download at a much faster speed.

Will the launcher look differently than before?

• There should not be any noticeable visual changes.

Can players opt out of the initial tests?

• Players selected will not be able to opt out of testing. If tests are successful and there are no issues during this testing phase, the update will be pushed out to all players on September 22nd.

EDIT 2:

Players who have Free or Preferred accounts can post feedback here.

EDIT 3:

Players with the following error message: "Game version does not match the servers" should check the following:

• If their antivirus authorizations 
  • If there is enough free hard drive space available 

• Dev Post

Hi everyone,

Testing for this update has now started. A small number of players who have been selected to test the new launcher update will notice a red banner in their launcher. If you are one of the selected players and would like to provide feedback, please use this thread.

Players who have Free or Preferred accounts may post feedback here.

Thanks all!

Just downloaded and used the updated launcher: it took just a few minutes, went very smoothly. After the download finished and the game was ready to launch, it took about half the amount of time it usually takes for the game to load. I will update with any changes or issues but right now I’m quite happy with the update.

Thank you:)

• Dev Post
I play from Linux from 10 years ... and for the first time now, the game doesn't launch anymore ...

The launcher seems to be updated, but when i click on Play, nothing happen

I try to update with english version

Hi Fabien,

I have a follow up from the team. On your runtime, do you have an equivalent of their AppData folder, usually on C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic Launcher\ on Windows?

If you are able to get that, please send us the host.developer.log file so we can see what issue you are facing. Send an email to support@swtor.com and in the subject line include "New Game Launcher Issue".

Thanks!

Hi Fabien,

I have a follow up from the team. On your runtime, do you have an equivalent of their AppData folder, usually on C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic Launcher\ on Windows?

If you are able to get that, please send us the host.developer.log file so we can see what issue you are facing. Send an email to support@swtor.com and in the subject line include "New Game Launcher Issue".

Thanks!

Thanks for response

yes, I play with Wine (https://www.winehq.org/), all is similar

For Note, launcher repair seems to kill launcher (from here => https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/GUIDE-Launcher-Troubleshooting/m-p/4805820#U4805820) ... i'll try to recover with a save game, and i send requested files

Edited by -Fabien-

• Dev Post
my launcher is just a black window now :/ can't do anything, do i need to reinstall the game now?

Hi RussellRichter,

Can you follow the steps I wrote out in the post right above yours? We'll need that file to figure out what's going on with your launcher. Thanks!

After 2 or 3 cycles of Updating Launcher I was able to login successfully & launch the game. Only gone in once w/ the updated launcher but that time seemed to take about 2x the amount of time (like 15 seconds rather than ~5-7) to get to character select after clicking Play as I'm typically used to FWIW.

I'll update here if anything changes.

My launcher glitched out my surface pro 7 like it was possessed and my tech is brand spanking new. it took me an hour to log in. Im sorry in the 10 yrs i have been playing this game I have seen some things and never wrote in the forums but this new launcher is crap crap crap (IF ITS NOT BROKN STOP FIXING IT!!!!) end of rant.

im a sub and this is just annoying (end of sub rant) good day to you!!!

So I downloaded the updated patcher a couple of hours ago. It says that its updating the patcher and promps me to log in. After I do log in, it says "downloading" before changing to "error" after a minute or so. i've now tried updating the patcher serveral times like this, and it always ends in error, and the game can't be opened. Not sure if its a bug or on my end, I'm just confused :jawa_confused:

Thank you Bioware for ruining my teams raid tonight by making one of our players hav to reinstall the entire game... Gonna be honest having this go out at random was one of your dumbest ideas and that includes the beginning of 5.0 rng era. Edited by ZouYan

So I downloaded the updated patcher a couple of hours ago. It says that its updating the patcher and promps me to log in. After I do log in, it says "downloading" before changing to "error" after a minute or so. i've now tried updating the patcher serveral times like this, and it always ends in error, and the game can't be opened. Not sure if its a bug or on my end, I'm just confused :jawa_confused:

Have the same issue just downloaded the game, played before years ago , guess I picked the wrong day to come back and try anew seen as I was picked for the 'test' launcher patch

I downloaded and installed the new Launcher. After 3 short installations, (total time took about 40 seconds) I did not notice any difference except for some minor graphic glitch (which could be due to the resolution of my screen. 4K at 48' OLED display). There is a small drag trail left by my mouse when it moves over the launcher leaving a trail that makes the launcher look as if it was at 256 color resolution but, it goes away in 2 seconds.

Thank you for letting some of us test it but I think it should have been optional instead. So far, so good for me.

I have been chosen...

...yay.

I log in.

I get a screen saying I have been chosen to try out new launcher.

I click ok and it says downloading then changes to error.

Nothing but the word error.

I had to subscribe because your link for previous subscribers to give feedback has no area to give feedback.

Please let me know what you need to fix the issue.