Why not make Defense Chance resist Force/Tech attacks?

Ruchalus

So one thing I've never understood is that NPCs can Resist Force/Tech attacks, which is why DPS OPs runner PCs go for 110% accuracy so none of their abilities miss. Why not have this apply to PCs as well? Everyone always talks about how HP should be the main tank stat but that just feels really boring.

Like if it's single target, you flat out Resist it or if its an AoE, you have an x% chance of reducing the damage by half with x being your Defense Chance. I think overall I'm just a bit salty that my Defense Chance got nuked from orbit with the most recent expansion, going from 38% to 30% (I'm a Shadow Tank). Granted that was BiS gear and we don't have 336 yet, but it still seems to soft cap around 31% for Shadows. I personally loved Defense Chance as it was useful vs Snipers, Juggernauts, Marauders, BH Rail Guns, other white sources of damage. That and every dodge meant Resilience CD got lowered.

Do you guys think Defense Chance should be changed to offer some form of protection against Force/Tech's Yellow Damage?

Edited by Ruchalus

I'm glad someone finally brought this up. I can only answer this from the perspective of an arena pvper since thats all i've done in this game for the past year or so. I'm sick and tired of yellow damage classes being more meta in pvp due to the fact that they can run no accuracy builds and have higher base stats than the white damage classes. Classes like carnage, anni, arsenal and io are pretty terrible picks in pvp already, and their dependence on accuracy reduces their damage even further. All the while, force and tech based classes such as madness, lightning, advanced prototype, pyrotech, vengeance, and lethality are hitting dps numbers higher than they've ever been.

With the recent expansion many force/tech damage based classes got significant improvement to their yellow damage abilities that are simply impossible for the jugg tank to handle. In the last expansion, forcebound on juggernaut tanks was perfect for countering the bursts of force and tech based classes. Now they have no way to survive against that type of burst since their survivability was lowered with the removal of forcebound and nerfing of grit teeth. Saberward allows them to survive against white damage, but 25% yellow damage reduction for the duration is not nearly as strong as the 50% increase to defense chance against white damage. Building absorb and shield as a jugg tank in pvp isn't worthwhile due to the fact that it does so little to improve their survivability.

If defense chance atleast for tanks applied to both force and tech damage and white damage, then it would vastly improve balance for tanks, and potentially make running full mitigation tanks in arena pvp worthwhile.

Edited by Llacertus

• 3 months later...

The problem here is to seperate pvp and pve.

For defence chance to avoid force and tech damage as well would in pvp nice for the overall classbalancing so that yellownumber creater need accuracy as well, but in pve it would be to powerful. the allready low dtps will drop further.

For yellow grit, as much as I loved it in 6.x (as main juggtank) in pvp. for pvp it was to powerful, around 70% uptime was to much. for pve it would be still nice to have. to grant the healers a break or give them time for other stuff.

Maybe we should stop gearstats and boni in pve completely (set this to cero) and grant everything with a buff we gain with entering the arena:

40% critchane

60% crit magnitude

110% accuracy

7.2% alacrity or even the 1.3 gcd value

400k endurance

15k mastery

15k power

5k shield and absorb

15% chance o incoming damage avoiding of all attacktypes

40% damage reduction

• 1 month later...
On 8/7/2022 at 1:05 AM, Mukoria said:

The problem here is to seperate pvp and pve.

For defence chance to avoid force and tech damage as well would in pvp nice for the overall classbalancing so that yellownumber creater need accuracy as well, but in pve it would be to powerful. the allready low dtps will drop further.

For yellow grit, as much as I loved it in 6.x (as main juggtank) in pvp. for pvp it was to powerful, around 70% uptime was to much. for pve it would be still nice to have. to grant the healers a break or give them time for other stuff.

Maybe we should stop gearstats and boni in pve completely (set this to cero) and grant everything with a buff we gain with entering the arena:

40% critchane

60% crit magnitude

110% accuracy

7.2% alacrity or even the 1.3 gcd value

400k endurance

15k mastery

15k power

5k shield and absorb

15% chance o incoming damage avoiding of all attacktypes

40% damage reduction

Bioware will never do something that removes the gear grind. A handful of people enjoy PvP (or PvE for that matter) enough to play it without a gear grind, but the vast majority are playing to upgrade their gear. Subs would drop even faster if they removed the gear grind. It would be much better to just give all tanks a free passive: "In PvP only, Defense Chance is also effective against force and tech damage." Alternatively, they could instead give tanks a free buff when in arenas/warzones that does the same thing.