Find Better, More Creative Ways to Challenge Players

TahliahCOH

It seems that devs have just given up and are attempting to "challenge" players with "new" content that amounts to little more than removing powers (and/or companions). I just started the KoFE expansions on an imperial agent, after having completed it on other toons, and not only was I without a companion (yeah, okay, that horse has been beaten), but I also found myself with three damage powers. At level 74. No stealth (she's an AGENT), no nothing but Hutta-level powers.

That's not a challenge, it's an insult. I worked hard to get my agent to lvl 74, and to have her facing a galactic threat without the full range of her powers (or her companion, but yeah, that's been done), is just . . . frankly, at this point, I am just hitting the space bar and running through everything as fast as I can to get through Chapter IX, at which point I will just summon my lost companions from the magic companion summoner in the Alliance base and not touch this stuff again on any toon, ever.

I hadn't even (seriously) considered using that terminal before, but I am not "challenged" or excited to have my lvl 74 toon given three powers to fight with (sans companion). Yeah, after a bit, a couple more powers were added, as if they were gifts. But they are not gifts, I had earned those powers through game play. Hours upon hours of it.

Fine, take the companions away (but at least leave us with 8, so we can craft with optimal efficiency, channeling HK here, lol), and fine force us to use War Walkers or whatever other stupid, frustrating thing (I get hat a lot of players like being stripped of their toon and forced to play something else entirely, with limited powers and an unchangeable quick bar . . . fgs, if you are going to force me to play something, at least let me move the powers in my tray so that they are not absolutely stupid). And yeah, okay, fine force my toon to do and say things she would never ever actually do or say, but please stop limiting my toons' powers. That's just a bridge too far.

This is not fun. It is not a challenge. And I cannot wait to get the heck done to the point I can access the Alliance base and can summon my old companions and be done with all the KoF stuff. I will not take another toon through it. I just won't. I don't feel like I have any control at all, and I feel like it's lazy on the devs part to just strip our powers--and companions, and even when we are "granted" them, we are stuck with lvl 1 influence companions to complement our three attack powers. What is the thought process here? You thought it was hard before, wait until you try it with your three weakest attacks and either no companion at all or a lvl 1! Think of the fun! Yeah, um, no.

This cannot continue. It is neither fun nor a challenge to face increasingly ramped up calamities with fewer and fewer powers or authority (yeah, why is my Commander wandering around clicking crap and looking for whatever? Doesn't she have people to do that?).

If I wanted to play a toon with three attack powers, I would roll one for about an hour.

In another game I used to play, we joked about doing a brawl (fist punch)-only trial. It was a joke, devs. No one wants to actually do that, and it seems that's where we are headed if there can't be more imagination and creativity in these expansions and updates that goes beyond, hey, let's take their companion and see how they do, oooh, better! Let's take their companion and "allow" toons to have only three basic, low-level attacks. FUN!

Yeah. No.

that sound's like the old KotFE tutorial too me (as i recall it was so new players who just rolled a level 60 toon right off the bat didn't get confused by getting the full set of abilities thrown at them all at once), i thought they removed it, but iirc there used to be a start the tutorial checkmark & a disable the tutorial X button, so you might try opening the tutorial screen and seeing if there's an off switch. Edited by CasperTheLich
  • Like 1

that sound's like the old KotFE tutorial too me (as i recall it was so new players who just rolled a level 60 toon right off the bat didn't get confused by getting the full set of abilities thrown at them all at once), i thought they removed it, but iirc there used to be a start the tutorial checkmark & a disable the tutorial X button, so you might try opening the tutorial screen and seeing if there's an off switch.

Agreed, OP clicked too fast without reading the description on the initial choice upon entering the first chapter and entered tutorial mode, which strips abilities.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Fine, take the companions away (but at least leave us with 8, so we can craft with optimal efficiency, channeling HK here, lol)

They can't take companions away at the beginning of KotFE and leave you with at least eight. You only have six at that point(1), and for story reasons, those six are the ones they have to take away.

Perhaps disabling them as "combat companions" and leaving them as "crew skill companions" might have been interesting.

(1) Well, in the original design of the game at that point, where the player character might reach that point with only the five class companions and the ship droid, you only have six. And you could, in the original design at that point, only use six at a time because "using eight companions for crew skills" wasn't a thing then.

that sound's like the old KotFE tutorial too me (as i recall it was so new players who just rolled a level 60 toon right off the bat didn't get confused by getting the full set of abilities thrown at them all at once), i thought they removed it, but iirc there used to be a start the tutorial checkmark & a disable the tutorial X button, so you might try opening the tutorial screen and seeing if there's an off switch.

Specifically, while in KOTFE, hit ESC. The very top option on the list should be "end tutorial" (or some such). This option doesn't appear if you are 'out' of the tutorial area, such as in your Stronghold, etc.