Just cancelled my sub - few comments

Canisrah

Well, I just cancelled my sub.

Thought I'd offer a few comments as I've been following this game for years and felt it deserved some sort of farewell. I was one of the Red Zoners who raged when BW left us out of initial pre-orders, and I was one of those who breathed a sigh of relief when the decision was made not to IP block us so we could play at launch.

My experience playing the game - technically, has been great. No noticeable lag, very few bugs, highly polished game. No real complaints.

In fact, I'm really disappointed that I don't like the game more than I do. Maybe it's my problem - maybe my tastes are changing or maybe the sort of game that used to appeal to me simply doesn't anymore.

I was the rabid SWTOR fan in my group - I was the guy who made all the other guys pre-order and play. My Malgus statue is glaring at me on the shelf and my collectors edition box is proudly displayed.

So why am I cancelling?

Well... I played and enjoyed my BH up to level 41. When I hit Belsavis I suddenly realized I was bored stiff. The story had lost its luster, and I was doing seemingly pointless grinding and losing the will to live. Skyrim started calling to me, and the promise of upcoming titles like Diablo III, Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai, and Mass Effect 3 compelled me to acknowledge that when they arrived, there's no way I would spend my limited game time grinding away in this mmo.

In a desperate attempt to maintain my SWTOR enthusiasm, I started a slew of new characters, leveling them in bits and pieces in an effort to re-engage with a new story. But in each case staring at a long road of grinding interspersed with only fleeting moments of true story engagement was enough to scuttle that expedition before it even left port.

I even considered just letting my sub run for a few months - but then the reality of bleeding money for no apparent purpose (a misguided sense of loyalty or a last ditch attempt to justify all the hours of anticipation waiting for this game notwithstanding).

The age of the mmo is over, at least for me. The old game-play model this game adheres too is no longer interesting and I regretfully say that if SWTOR couldn't do it for me, no mmo that holds to the old design paradigm will. I may give GW2 a fleeting peek, but only because it's a no sub thing so I won't have to invest so much.

I suspect SWTOR will be the last of the big budget mmos. And as much as it pains me to say it... I think it will struggle to maintain a large play-base.

But that's just my view - and if you are playing and loving it and are in it for the long haul more power to you. Wish I could have been the same.

Peace out.

I have to say that this post pretty much sums up the reasons I cancelled my sub last night. Although I have had the unfortunate experience of having my fun obliterated by bugs and just poor design decisions.

Thanks for summing it up better than I could have.

V

Was expecting different, but i can see it, i mean there has to be a point where one tires of mmo's, anyways enjoy the other games, I'm going to be picking up mass effect 3 myself and likely diablo 3 myself. Edited by halorix

It's not you - it's how they designed the game.

I believe, the poor fellas at Bioware, got tunnel vision and made a game as EXACTLY close to WoW as they saw safe - and bull******* themselves on what's actually innovative. There is nothing new in this game - and even if you disagree with that, nothing new enough to make it last for 7 years. Think about that.

But in another note - there are many many many other reasons why I will never be returning. The company sucks and they don't give a **** about anyone but their pay check. I have been wronged so much by moderators, ticket handling, and Bioware, so many times I've lost count.

Also, the age of the MMO isn't over, just the theme park MMO. Trust me man, guys like you and me, GENTLEMEN like you and me, want something deeper than an incredibly, incredibly, mind numbingly, and utterly guided experience.

Oh, and the mods will probably delete this.

Edited by Mackuss

I sorta hit that roadblock around 40s. PvP was my main enjoyment in the game. Friends barely play ever since high 30s, so that part of the fun went right out the window lol. As soon as my BH hit 50, I just... stopped. PvP sorta lost its glamor because of its current state, namely as a fresh 50. I haven't run any ops or higher lvl flashpoints, I just lost interest in many aspects of the game from a while before 50 unfortunately.

My account is still active, I don't mind supporting them for another month. I do that for many monthly fee games I play. I think it's also due to other RL stuff that I don't play right now, but my dwindling interest from before didn't help lol. I'm pleased with the purchase and money spent thus far, but things like how BW separates maint and patch downtimes, just loses points for me.

Scoring this game out of 10, I'd give it a solid 7 for the game itself as it is. If we incorporate other things outside of just the game, like my previously mentioned dislike, the purchase gets a 6/10. I am also keeping in mind that the game is still new. Hence why I'm not mentioning other things like the UI and bugs.

It's not you - it's how they designed the game.

Also, the age of the MMO isn't over, just the theme park MMO. Trust me man, guys like you and me, GENTLEMEN like you and me, want something deeper than an incredibly, incredibly, mind numbingly, and utterly guided experience.

I have to say sir - your comments do resonate with me...I think you're onto something there.

/signed

But in my case I will still be paying because I need to know the stories!

The grinding doesn't bother me much (if only you knew what I've grinded in my life... this game is nothing) but the bugs and the unexistent CS do.

Still, I have to continue and learn the stories, but I'm going back and forth between characters because the whole game is boring, and there's no much to do.

Farewell and may the Force be with you.

The game is going to be here for a long time. Maybe someday it will call you back for a visit.

Props to the OP for making a tasteful goodbye post. Refreshing to see instead of the normal bash everything/everyone threads.

Good luck Canisrah!

Edited by Skoobie

Thought I'd offer a few comments as I've been following this game for years and felt it deserved some sort of farewell. I was one of the Red Zoners who raged when BW left us out of initial pre-orders, and I was one of those who breathed a sigh of relief when the decision was made not to IP block us so we could play at launch.

My experience playing the game - technically, has been great. No noticeable lag, very few bugs, highly polished game. No real complaints.

In fact, I'm really disappointed that I don't like the game more than I do. Maybe it's my problem - maybe my tastes are changing or maybe the sort of game that used to appeal to me simply doesn't anymore.

I was the rabid SWTOR fan in my group - I was the guy who made all the other guys pre-order and play. My Malgus statue is glaring at me on the shelf and my collectors edition box is proudly displayed.

So why am I cancelling?

Well... I played and enjoyed my BH up to level 41. When I hit Belsavis I suddenly realized I was bored stiff. The story had lost its luster, and I was doing seemingly pointless grinding and losing the will to live. Skyrim started calling to me, and the promise of upcoming titles like Diablo III, Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai, and Mass Effect 3 compelled me to acknowledge that when they arrived, there's no way I would spend my limited game time grinding away in this mmo.

In a desperate attempt to maintain my SWTOR enthusiasm, I started a slew of new characters, leveling them in bits and pieces in an effort to re-engage with a new story. But in each case staring at a long road of grinding interspersed with only fleeting moments of true story engagement was enough to scuttle that expedition before it even left port.

I even considered just letting my sub run for a few months - but then the reality of bleeding money for no apparent purpose (a misguided sense of loyalty or a last ditch attempt to justify all the hours of anticipation waiting for this game notwithstanding).

The age of the mmo is over, at least for me. The old game-play model this game adheres too is no longer interesting and I regretfully say that if SWTOR couldn't do it for me, no mmo that holds to the old design paradigm will. I may give GW2 a fleeting peek, but only because it's a no sub thing so I won't have to invest so much.

I suspect SWTOR will be the last of the big budget mmos. And as much as it pains me to say it... I think it will struggle to maintain a large play-base.

But that's just my view - and if you are playing and loving it and are in it for the long haul more power to you. Wish I could have been the same.

Peace out.

This is my exact experience. I'm hoping The Secret World will break from the current MMO formula enough to keep me entertained for a while.

That's honestly why I never got into WoW after DAoC. I was just done. Then I got suckered into Rift and started to enjoy it again and now I am here and loving it.

Moral of the story never say never. You might just be burnt out and need a break.

I'm enjoying all the story line and have yet to run into a bug, major one atleast. Good luck out there finding an mmo that will not bore you. Probably does not even exist.

Oh, it exists-- at least for me.

And it isn't SWTOR, WoW, or Rift.

Though I am still holding out hope, however fleeting it is, for SWTOR. :(

Edited by Jumajin

So why am I cancelling?

Peace out.

guild wars 2 is >>> this way.

no, seriously, I am getting tired of the modern mmo too, but gw2 seems to have a lot promise to break the current mmo cycle..... so if i were you iw ill wait for that game shows up, check out what it has to offer until i declare i am done wiht mmorpgs.

but yes, swtor also made me realise how tiresome the mmorpg genre is nowaday.

I entered this thread ready to deride another I quit thread, and am siting here thinking... hmm dude.. you just voiced what I have been feeling and not wanting to admit.

I've rolled and re-rolled easily 30 characters now, and eventually deleted every last one of them. I have three characters now. ones level 11. Ones level 3, and ones I believe level 12. This is after deleting several 30+ characters and one 40+ character and starting over.

I find I just can't quite 'engage' in this game. You put the finger on the feeling.

~Saitada

I entered this thread ready to deride another I quit thread, and am siting here thinking... hmm dude.. you just voiced what I have been feeling and not wanting to admit.

I've rolled and re-rolled easily 30 characters now, and eventually deleted every last one of them. I have three characters now. ones level 11. Ones level 3, and ones I believe level 12. This is after deleting several 30+ characters and one 40+ character and starting over.

I find I just can't quite 'engage' in this game. You put the finger on the feeling.

~Saitada

First, you may need to seek treatment for OCD

Second, If you have gotten several characters to 30-40 and have rolled over 30 characters... I hate to break it to you... youve engaged. You went past engaged. You got married, you had kids, you deleted your kids, and now youre having more.

I hope every1 who unsubbed tried an Empire class at least until level 10. I have LOVED all 3 empire classes I played and hated both republic classes I played. For me personally, there was a big difference.

I haven't unsubbed yet, but I will when I hit 50, run out of story, and have no options but a carbon copy of WoW's endgame. Honestly, the only reason I'm even finishing my smuggler's story is because I'm already so far into it (level 45) that it would be a shame to not see it through. I've tried playing alts on both sides. Aside from my 45 gunslinger I have a 24 sage, a 20 mercenary, and a 23 operative. None of them hold my interest. Aside from the voice acting, which sadly and surprisingly gets old fast, this game brings nothing new to the table, and a lot of what it carries over from other MMOs is poorly executed by comparison.

So why am I cancelling?

Peace out.

I just wanted to say the reasons you listed are exactly why I cancelled my sub today. I really truly wanted to love this game, and tried desperately, but it wasn't doing it for me either. I wish you the best of luck.

I'm paying for 1 mos sub after the included one, but that's only so I can get my jugg main to 50. Overall, I'm not a big fan of choreographed encounters, so I don't think I'll do much raiding and I doubt I'll pay for my second month. It's an ok game, but isn't as polished as other MMO's and the upper level questing is quite boring. I'm 47 now and just got to Voss and haven't really had to kill anything for the last 1/2 level or so. I'm maxed out in biochem crafting and really I don't see much point. I can find my purple implants much cheaper on AH than RE'ing them myself.

Hoth and Alderann sounded exciting, but I missed on FP on each and spent way to much time travelling on my speeder than I should have. And then Hoth stories sucked. Adding to my frustration, planet loading times really stink. Fleet and ship load in a reasonable amount of time, but I can get coffee and probably cook dinner while waiting for a planet to load -- and then I've got to work my way through some giant hanger, to a space station, and finally to planet surface to resume questing. That's incredibly stupid.

Got Quinn to propose to me, but I"m not sure what benefit I'm getting. Would be nice if affection unlocked new skills like in DragonAge. Or at least acted the same as presence during combat. Did I mention biochem crafting doesn't seem worth it - esp. if that's the only companion benefit available.