Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Pencilvania

But they already noted they are looking at a MAC client in the future.

Some laugh at your other post. PC means Personal Computer it does not mean a system that runs Microsoft OS. MAC and Win7 systems are both PCs, as are lots of other OSes out there.

And MAC means "Media Access Control" in computer context and has nothing to do with a Mac, as in a "Macintosh" computer. MAC addresses are the hardware addresses in the vast majority of network adapters, whether ethernet, wifi or whatever.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No there is no ETA. Before they even start work on that client will want the Windows version running better.

Honestly who cares what Blizzard does. Over 90% of MMOs are Native Windows only at launch. Then MAC native client is added it is long time after launch.

But they already noted they are looking at a MAC client in the future.

Some laugh at your other post. PC means Personal Computer it does not mean a system that runs Microsoft OS. MAC and Win7 systems are both PCs, as are lots of other OSes out there.

No need to play on words, PC is a short acronym and everyone understands what I meant, you can say "non apple PC" is your prefer to cut the cookies. Still I fail to understand the need for those who have no interest in macs to come trollings on mac-relative topics. But why do I start to argue huh ?

This may be slightly off topic but I've managed to install SW:TOR on a Mac using Wineskin. Unfortunately the game does not yet start properly - I hear the sound of the videos, but can't see them and then the game hangs up when the server selection screen or, if I was logged in to a server automatically, the character selection screen should appear.

I'll continue try working on it.

As long as Crossover fails to support SWTOR I prefer to save my time by keeping my dualboot ;) Also generally wine preformances are a way lower than under windows, not only fps but also rendering since generally used shaders are quite old..

As long as Crossover fails to support SWTOR I prefer to save my time by keeping my dualboot ;) Also generally wine preformances are a way lower than under windows, not only fps but also rendering since generally used shaders are quite old..

I don't expect much performance, I just want to get it working at all. If it does I don't have to boot over to do my Ilum & Belsavis dailies, I'll play them straight under Mac OS X with minimal graphics in a 1600x1200 window rather than 2560x1440 full screen.

Given the fact that a DirectX Engine is the very foundation of SW:TOR it would be unrealistic to expect a native client for SW:TOR any time soon. Even if the next version of the HeroEngine supports Mac clients that doesn't mean you can simply use those for the highly modified HeroEngine in SW:TOR. Now, I realise that a Cider wrapper would be more effective than a Wine wrapper, but the principle is the same.

Besides - I do have a Windows 7 partition on my Mac with SW:TOR installed. It's just something to experiment on.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

I don't expect much performance, I just want to get it working at all. If it does I don't have to boot over to do my Ilum & Belsavis dailies, I'll play them straight under Mac OS X with minimal graphics in a 1600x1200 window rather than 2560x1440 full screen.

Given the fact that a DirectX Engine is the very foundation of SW:TOR it would be unrealistic to expect a native client for SW:TOR any time soon. Even if the next version of the HeroEngine supports Mac clients that doesn't mean you can simply use those for the highly modified HeroEngine in SW:TOR. Now, I realise that a Cider wrapper would be more effective than a Wine wrapper, but the principle is the same.

Besides - I do have a Windows 7 partition on my Mac with SW:TOR installed. It's just something to experiment on.

True that if you consider both 3D engin matters of SWTOR and also the fact that it is based on directX, that means a nice piece of coding. But if they say that they are doing it, and if you consider the amount of devs on that product, its doesn't seem to be such a hard time. Afterall many 3D engines offer from scratch the ability to run in directX or openGL mode.

what about a beer wrapper btw ? :tran_eek:

The work is already under way... we'll hear something officially quite soon, I suspect.

The last time I heard something about it was one or two months before release. An interviewer asked whether there will be a Mac version, if not by release than maybe later. The answer was more or less like this: "No, we have no plans on providing a Mac client. Not for release or any time after."

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Any ETA about the SWTOR mac version ?

My SSD is bored to of being splitted for SWTOR only.

And I am bored of multiboot.

About playing on mac, I have switched several years ago to macbook pro machines for gaming, so that I only need 1 machine for both playing and working. All in all it saves me money, is better for earth, mac are also more stable than PCs, lighter, thiner, batteries are much better managed, and I don't know anymore BSOD. WoW is not the only MMO having a mac OS version, they are not numerous but there are some others (old ones generally). If using a mac to play is for someone just silly, so do they consider Blizzard as dumb peeps ? WoW has a mac version, Starcraft2 as well.

Someone hasn't heard about Windows 7....

I suggest you stick to MACs, 99% of BSODs are user error. PEBKAC.

The last time I heard something about it was one or two months before release. An interviewer asked whether there will be a Mac version, if not by release than maybe later. The answer was more or less like this: "No, we have no plans on providing a Mac client. Not for release or any time after."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/02/bioware-mac-version-of-star-wars-the-old-republic-is-something/

Someone hasn't heard about Windows 7....

I suggest you stick to MACs, 99% of BSODs are user error. PEBKAC.

i was refering to 7 being a way more stable on a mac than on a non apple machine from my own experience, and the BSOD i was refering to were 100% hardware-specific

To my knowledge only one MMO had a Mac client on release.

Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean Online isn't a hugely successful MMO, but it also launched for Mac & Windows. Plus dozens of browser-based MMOs (BGO, Wakfu, The Mummy Online, etc.) also launch for both, mostly because they're based on open tools and standards, unlike Microsoft with its tight control over its closed, proprietary Direct-X.

Edit: added "also", as in PotCO as well as WoW.

Edited by ArkhamNative

Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean Online isn't a hugely successful MMO, but it launched for Mac & Windows. Plus dozens of browser-based MMOs (BGO, Wakfu, The Mummy Online, etc.) also launch for both, mostly because they're based on open tools and standards, unlike Microsoft with its tight control over its closed, proprietary Direct-X.

I think he might have meant World of Warcraft.. which has not been entirely unsuccessful in the past.

Anyway. I've picked up an interesting thread in the WinHQ bug forum about Star Wars: The Old Republic.

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=29168

Edited by Rabenschwinge

• 2 weeks later...

A new Wine version is out. With the current Wine version, while installing the game is possible, the game hangs up on booting - the last system call made is reading data from a TCP socket and then nothing, the server selection / character selection never shows. The response a Windows client would send over TCP is never sent.

The same behaviour is described on the Crossover website. I am curious whether this has changed now - not very likely, but possible.

If I manage to create an image I might try to make it public over Skydrive (a compressed image should fit into a 25GB cloud drive), unless EA or Bioware forbid it, of course.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Do you support a Mac OS X client for SWTOR?

This thread is for discussing support for an OS X client for Star Wars The Old Republic. Please keep comments related to that topic.

This is not a Bootcamp thread.

This is not a Mac Vs. PC thread.

I do not support it as I am not a Mac user, but if there are significant numbers of Mac users who would like to play the game on their Mac then I see no reason not to have it.

How's that for a 'sitting on the fence' answer?

I wouldn't rule it out in the future. From what I can see a lot of the work gone into the game so far creates a foundation to build a LOT of content on (you have a galaxy to put more stuff into).

On the engine side nobody here is in any position to guess how far/in front they are to other builds. Being on a separate branch does not exclude you from incorporating new things from trunk (as any coder would know). You just copy the relevant libraries across or update your own code segments as you go. I think the engine is not a problem when they decide to go for a Mac client.

Coming back to the first point, some people complain 1.2 patch contains things that should be there from launch. That is *perhaps* true but it is a trade off from building a platform that allow you to rapidly expand. Better to have what we have rather than quickly build a more limited platform that means longer patch intervals and more issues.

I would be willing to place a substantial bet that this particular request/issue has made its way onto the development roadmap already. There are very valid reasons the player base should not see the road map except for any imminent upcoming patch information. If you really need me to spell out the obvious:

- Road maps change, a lot, for a lot of reasons. Some financial, some technical, some because of YOU wanting something else first

- You don't want to give false hope due to the above

- Similarly you don't want your competitors to know what cool tricks you're planning

- We all like a surprise in our major content updates

The main reasons are confidentiality and the fact that releasing a road map that constantly changes (even though rightfully so) would cause John Doe player base to rage like the wrath of a vengeful god. Simply because a lot of you don't know any better (or are too young to realise constructive feedback always outperforms RAEG in the real world).

i was refering to 7 being a way more stable on a mac than on a non apple machine from my own experience, and the BSOD i was refering to were 100% hardware-specific

Absolutely false. Apple machines contain the same hardware a pc machine does. There is nothing that makes windows 7 run better in an apple machine. However, I chose not to use that garbage foxconn communist slave produced motherboard apple uses.

Edited by Dropadeuce