Bio says no to macros at Guild Summit.

Badlander

If in game you could at least do /use item or /use item-slot it would help. Macroing buff, set companion stance, mount would be great. Macroing procable abilites off the GCD timer would be great. However, I don't know if its allowed even with a mouse macro. Do they outright ban you for something that is grey or do they warn you first? Has anyone been warned? Banned?

I use a G19 and G9x at home when gaming. I also use AutoHotkey. I've never had a problem with Bioware confronting me about the issue. But that's probably because I PLAY the game, and do not automate my gameplay. My macro usage is minimal, as it's there to smooth out the rough edges of a cumbersome UI and lack of proper keybindings. I use macros to make my gameplay more enjoyable.

If you keep that in mind and truly play the game instead of automating it, you probably won't have any issues. These policies are in place to protect the gaming community as a whole from power levelers who sell accounts and credit farmers who sell credits outside of the game. It's also there to ensure that the in-game economy and environment doesn't get out of control by the devaluation of accomplishments and items.

Edited by cipher_nemo

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has SWTOR all over it and a fancy macro building interface. Razer would get sued if EA did not support the product.

So NO COMBAT MACROS, THEY DESTROY THE GAME AND GIVE PEOPLE AN UNFAIR ADVANTAGE!!!!!!

unless you buy the SWTOR keyboard

And it sells for what $250 dollars.....get it now? IT is the reason there are no in game macros. They want to sell their $250 macro machine, not give them away for free.

Edited by Diaboloco

• 3 weeks later...

I think people misunderstand what macros are..

Bioware, please develop a way people can bind multiple abilities to the same key bind.

For example - if I bind 'F' if might do something different if target is enemy vs friendly or if I'm in or out of combat

There's just too many abilities and too many keybinds it's very cumbersome.

In fact, it's something that makes me not want to play the game (it will always just be frustrating and I'm not going to pay $15 per month to be frustrated)

Build it but don't call it a "MACRO" system because the masses simply don't understand it and will be inherently negative about the feature addition.

Its just another tried and true mmo mechanic that bioware is stubornly trying to remove from mmos. They are not going to win that war and they are only hurting themselves by sticking to this rediculous plan. Macros along with combat windows and cross server lfg (just to name a few things) are not going away atleast not before swtor goes away.

And it sells for what $250 dollars.....get it now? IT is the reason there are no in game macros. They want to sell their $250 macro machine, not give them away for free.

I doubt that's true, its probably more of a case of EA not caring what the devs want,

Either way its silly we can't make them in game.

bio may have said no to combat macros but the fact of the matter is that it makes it near impossible for players like myself "disabled, only able to use my left hand" to compete on the level that even the average joe can. i mean there's only so much that keybinds, 1 through =, and my thumb on this touchpad can do, especially with some abilities being out of my reach at times i.e. mitigation tools etc. Edited by derpiusmaximus

They did specifically address mouseover macros, and they are safe

Actually what he said was not to confuse macros and mouseover functionality (specifically mouseover healing).

Because you can have mouseover stuff without macros in real games.

Check it out yourself.

Edited by Woetoo

bio may have said no to combat macros but the fact of the matter is that it makes it near impossible for players like myself "disabled, only able to use my left hand" to compete on the level that even the average joe can. i mean there's only so much that keybinds, 1 through =, and my thumb on this touchpad can do, especially with some abilities being out of my reach at times i.e. mitigation tools etc.

The razer naga mouse has 15 buttons, though 2 are quite hard to reach, so let's say 13. You can bind mouse-wheel-up and mouse-wheel-down too, so that's 15 easily accessible buttons. 15 abilities at your fingertips should make you able to get very close to what someone with 2 hands can do. I suspect your are being handicapped more by using a touchpad instead of a mouse than you are by not being able to use your other hand to press buttons. That said, I also don't see the problem with limited combat macroes, things like making a button do different things depending on whether you are targeting a friendly target or a hostile target.

Yeah I find this super funny.

NO COMBAT MACROS!!!!! EVER!!!! DEVS OPPOSE THEM!!! THEY BREAK THE GAME

PS: We here by support the use a the SWTOR keyboard that allows the creation of combat macros.

I really thought that this comment was a joke.

Seriously, a $250 keyboard http://www.razerzone.com/swtor/keyboard and a $130 mouse? :eek:

Wow, and people tell me I'm crazy for my G-15 kbd and G5 mouse.

@Nidza

id like to not have to spend hundreds of dollars in the process, but point taken. I might have to just suck it up and do it, but seems like a lot for a little. I already have a Cata WoW gaming mouse and a fairly decent gaming keyboard. Ive already spent more money than Id like to admit on those (especially when I don't even play WoW anymore).

Would be nice if Bioware did something to make their clunky mechanics a bit smoother without forcing the consumer to pay more to get around their rejection of something that would make the majority of players happy.

And those saying macros ruin the game simply do not know what they are talking about, or are confusing certain bot macros with just "plain jane improve the game" macros. Macros are simply used to make your life easier and to get through bad mechanics. Whats wrong with a focus target macro for example. instead of having to transfer your focus to your main target, use spell, then switch back, why cant I have a button that targets that person without changing my main target. Yea that's so unfair, especially when everyone would have the exact same ability to create and use them. If you are complaining about unfairness, there are mice and keyboards that will let you use macros in the game already, look it up on youtube.... So those players get an advantage over everyone else....therefore, allowing people to use macros in game would actually even things up a bit.

Just my 2 cents

Edited by Trevormortis

It was pretty much said that there will be no macros anytime soon if ever at the guild summit. It seems part of the Dev team hates macros and does not want them in game.

But, they did say there will be some things in game that will help healers and such. What that means who knows they did not explain it very well.

Which i think this is a good thing.

Most excellent news. The game is fine without them. Healers are fine without them.

Most excellent news. The game is fine without them. Healers are fine without them.

I'd rather play a game that is amazing than one that is just ok. Macros simply take bad and rough gameplay mechanics and make them smooth....I'm sorry that it makes you unhappy that people are trying to get the most out of their 15 bucks per month. You do realize that there are many many more players that want at least some kind of macro creation ability over those that don't. So in other words, you don't want a smoother game, and/or you don't want to actually put a small amount of effort into creating a macro for yourself, so others have to suffer with you.

And as far as people saying macros would dumb down the game, I offer this small rebuttal....

Macros actually increase the skill caps for most classes if you are doing them right and not creating multi-move macros (which are around already in certain keyboards and mice fyi). Right now, I don't even bother with focus target interrupts, cc, etc....because doing this without macros is pretty much impossible and so time consuming that it would be a waste of time in the long run due to the natural mechanics of the game. But if I were able to set up focus target macros, I would have the additional ability to do interrupts etc on a second target (my focus), therefore giving my class more dimension and flexibility to use my abilities in different ways that were not open to me before, which in turn is increasing my characters skill cap levels.

So if you want to live in a brokedown game, fine, but stop trying to drag the rest of the gaming community down with you because your too lazy to set stuff up for yourself. I bet most the people whining that macros would ruin this game are still playing with their default UI. L2Play

More 2 cents.

Edited by Trevormortis

I'd rather play a game that is amazing than one that is just ok. Macros simply take bad and rough gameplay mechanics and make them smooth....I'm sorry that it makes you unhappy that people are trying to get the most out of their 15 bucks per month. You do realize that there are many many more players that want at least some kind of macro creation ability over those that don't. So in other words, you don't want a smoother game, and/or you don't want to actually put a small amount of effort into creating a macro for yourself, so others have to suffer with you.

couple of points.

First, you get the most out of the cost of a pizza and a beer in the first half hour of play for the month. ;p The game basically cost nothing to play. That is not a valid argument for the introduction of anything.

Second is that it does not make me either happy or unhappy. That is a veiled ad-homiem and quite unnecessary to the argument.

Third, your argument regarding player opinion is conjecture. No one can make that estimation without proper research. That does not enhance your argument.

Forth, you are mistaken in your opinion of what addons do or do not do to a game (inclusive of macros). It is not what they do, and is a short cited estimation. What they do is to trivialize content, which in turn, requires content to be ramped up to meet the advantage that they present. From there more addons are demanded and included, then content is ramped up further...and round and round we go.

The final outcome is that they provide little to no advantage as the current content is tuned around their use, thus, in effect, presenting a situation where one is no better off then prior to their introduction but now forced to utilize them in order to accomplish the task at hand. In short, needless complication that takes from the content rather then enhancing such. It was the Wow development team that admitted that content was now being built around the use of addons, not the other way around.

They are little more then a short term advantage for players that feel they are unable to meet the current content and surpass it without artificial advantage.

I really thought that this comment was a joke.

Seriously, a $250 keyboard http://www.razerzone.com/swtor/keyboard and a $130 mouse? :eek:

Wow, and people tell me I'm crazy for my G-15 kbd and G5 mouse.

Video gaming is a hobby. People put money into their hobbies. There is really no problem with that if they are enjoying their downtime playing a game....and are not living on macaroni and cheese in order to afford such. ;p

• 9 months later...

funniest thing i saw in huttball was when a jugg ran across the goals and started dancing imediately (he scored) one of my team who was standing there (trying to stop him before he scored, like me) kicked him in the nuts and killed him... xD

the scoring -> dancing -> kick in the nuts, was just done so quickly and smoothly it really made me laugh :D

I'd like those combat tactic emote to be key bindable,

just wondering, if you have gaming periferals that allow you to program one key to do several things, could you get it to type those emotes for you?

so [enter]/dance[enter] ?

I liked that swg I had /say macros I could just click during combat they were fun

The command %TT would say the targets name

"Soon, %TT you will be defeated and you pitiful rebellion will be destroyed"

And many other starwars quotes and taunts that made duels more fun

I agree with nit having combat macros though