Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?

Calimwulf
03.02.2012 , 01:24 PM | #991
Quote: Originally Posted by sparklecat View Post
Why should the developers waste time implementing something that is a) insulting, and b) unnecessary? Just slap all flirt options on the LHS of the dialogue wheel, give everyone all the choices available including three non-flirts, and be done with it. No extra development time needed, significantly less risk of introducing a bunch of new bugs, and the only people who are offended are those who are calling for the gays to be hidden away because they can't even stand the sight of such content. In which case, oh well, life isn't fair and you're in the minority, get over it. Right?
I'd caution you that you are moving away from a game feature and instead talking about social issues. That is not allowed on these boards.

I am strictly talking about a game feature and how it might be implemented. Since BW is spending the time to do this, they might as well do it the way I would be happiest with. I am of course the center of the universe and I should be appeased at every turn

In all seriousness, options make the most sense and putting all those options in a parental control makes even more sense.
"For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Lilmagex
03.02.2012 , 01:26 PM | #992
I like being a good guy. I'm greatly offended that there is a "kill 10 civs to save the base" dark option on my convosation wheel. Please remove this cause its not my preference and i do not wish to even acknowledge that my opinions are not the center of the universe. That is all

MamaSok
03.02.2012 , 01:26 PM | #993
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
It's also why the pro-toggle thread should never have been closed.
I agree, it would keep a lot of the anger and rage trolling to a minimum if the thread was back.

@natashina The only new toggle needed is one to shut off companion helms. My Mako in her sad looking skull cap agrees
Sok

natashina
03.02.2012 , 01:29 PM | #994
Quote: Originally Posted by Lilmagex View Post
I like being a good guy. I'm greatly offended that there is a "kill 10 civs to save the base" dark option on my convosation wheel. Please remove this cause its not my preference and i do not wish to even acknowledge that my opinions are not the center of the universe. That is all

Kioma
03.02.2012 , 01:29 PM | #995
Quote: Originally Posted by Calimwulf View Post
But what if I don't want flirt options?
Then ignore them.

Quote:
Or what if I only want homosexual options?
Only flirt with same sex characters.

Quote:
Or what if I only want heterosexual ones?
Only flirt with opposite sex characters.

Quote:
Or what if I don't care and if it moves I want to try to flirt with it?
Then flirt with whomever you like.

Quote:
Just because it isn't mechanically necessary doesn't it is a bad idea. Some people only want 2 bottom hotbars, others want 4. The guys who only use 2 will think the extra 2 aren't necessary, but they have the option of only using two.
You're talking about extra coding that just isn't necessary. BW:A didn't see it necessary to put in a romance toggle when there were only heterosexual flirts on the table, even though they knew that not everyone would be interested in pursuing them.

You're not just talking about a UI option. The presence or absence of romantic options changes the way the romantic portion of the game can be played. Romance is a part of the Star Wars universe, and same sex relationships have been shown as part of EU canon. It's just as valid to expect a player to have enough maturity and sense to choose the flirts they want as it is to expect them to choose the Dark Side and Light Side choices presented to them.

The only two actually comprehensible arguments I've seen to date in favour of a toggle are:

1) "Gay stuff makes me feel squicky."

2) "I don't want one of my dialogue options replaced with a flirt option."

In order:

1) Get over it. Have the maturity to disregard the same sex flirt options. Your computer's not going to catch Gay.

2) Extremely valid point, easily solved by putting all flirt options, same or opposite sex, onto the left hand side of the dialogue wheel.

But as has been stated by many, including me, this is a topic that we all already know we're not going to agree on. Nobody's going to convince anyone else of their point of view just by going around in circles with this matter. All we're doing is clogging the board and making it hard to find discussion that isn't inherently flammable.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

natashina
03.02.2012 , 01:30 PM | #996
Quote: Originally Posted by MamaSok View Post
I agree, it would keep a lot of the anger and rage trolling to a minimum if the thread was back.

@natashina The only new toggle needed is one to shut off companion helms. My Mako in her sad looking skull cap agrees
Or poor Vette in her Vader mask(it was medium leather and all I had for slottables at the time.)

LyriaFrost
03.02.2012 , 01:36 PM | #997
Quote: Originally Posted by MamaSok View Post

I purposefully gave Kaliyo the ugliest looking helmet I could find for her, just because.
Weave maid such progress, but knot without accost. In deed, won wonders weather two take a fence. Each thyme oui real lion a computer, wheel ooze a bit of hours elves. Two much technology may knot bee sew suite, and we joust can't real eye two much on spell Czech. Sea the problem hear?

Calimwulf
03.02.2012 , 01:37 PM | #998
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post

You're talking about extra coding that just isn't necessary. BW:A didn't see it necessary to put in a romance toggle when there were only heterosexual flirts on the table, even though they knew that not everyone would be interested in pursuing them.

You're not just talking about a UI option. The presence or absence of romantic options changes the way the romantic portion of the game can be played. Romance is a part of the Star Wars universe
It could be said that adding code to make my skills flash when cool down is over wasn't 'necessary', but they did it anyway.

Just because in version 1, there were no options for romance or flirts off/on doesn't mean that there won't be any in version 2.

Romance and flirts aren't critical path. BW can do anything they want to with them.

What is disturbing isn't the fact that people disagree. What is disturbing is the fact that even though I support homosexual romnace arcs and flirting in the game 100% but the fact that I want options on how it is displayed, if at all causes folks to implode and explode.

Are you folks saying that this thread can only be posted in if there is 100% agreement?
"For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

natashina
03.02.2012 , 01:37 PM | #999
<brings the marshmellows and a fire extinguisher>

Okay, enough of these flames. Back I say!

I cannot stress this enough:

If you are opposed to SGRs and flirts, then I'm sorry, for Bioware has said it's going to be in the game.

If you wish to quit due to the future implementation of SGRs, then I wish you luck.

If you want a toggle for romance preferences, please start a new thread in the suggestion box.

Unless you have something to say regarding the topic of the thread, please go elsewhere. All this is doing is making both sides of the issue look bad and fight with each other. I'd rather go back to talking about kittens and sugar gliders.

On topic: Pets are well and good, but perhaps flowers and/or sweets in the game as well? And before someone says something, yes, guys can enjoy getting flowers too.

MamaSok
03.02.2012 , 01:40 PM | #1000
Quote: Originally Posted by LyriaFrost View Post
I purposefully gave Kaliyo the ugliest looking helmet I could find for her, just because.
My husband did that too! But once the romance started he told me "I shouldn't have done that, I can't take the romance seriously with her looking like a strange mechanical bug"
Sok