From a different post

DarkTergon

This launched today. Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis https://ngs.pso2.com/news/announcements/NGSstart0608

Just waiting on my SSD delivery this morning and I’m going to install and try it out.

Just wanted to answer this here, as I'm being targeted by certain people and I was worried that if I answered on the other thread, I'd be accused of derailing the topic, being off topic, or spamming, etc.

Definitely going to give it a look. I've been looking around, I signed up for endwalker for FF14, I've played the free trial for a bit, and enjoyed it. Looking forward to see what subs can do.

Read the following at your own peril ;)

I've been a sub consistently since 2012, almost 10 years, have the preorder crystal (and all the preorders), and collectors edition, (only thing I missed was the founders title, due to not have internet at the time), but in the last 6 months, i wonder each time my sub runs down whether it's worth keeping, and each time I find less reasons to say yes. I look at the game, and find it had to see the game I fell in love with. It has grown, and some of it was amazing, it's like watching a beautiful rose bush blossom from a twig, but lately I can see nothing but rot, the core of the bush is rotting away, and there's nothing but flies, ants, bugs crawling around it.

It is festering, not saying dying, but it's rotten to the core, and the people who take care of it, don't seem to care, or notice.

This also includes the forums. I used to post a lot, spent a lot of time giving advice, helping out, up to a point when a member tried to get regular posters 'limited' But again due to being targeted, I've stopped for a while, and have cut back a lot. When I had an issue myself, I reached out, and heard nothing, and was ignored.

So to those I've helped, who messaged me, and thanked me, I'm greatful, to those who I could have helped, but don't, I apologise. But with everything i say being watched.... well.

EDIT: Wasn't sure where to put this, as it's a reply to a comment, but feel free to move it to off topic.

Edited by DarkTergon

I'd agree with much of this but, on a slightly different tack.

To me, it's not that the rose bush has gotten rotten, or includes flies and insects. For me it's more like, I've watched the rose bush grow and change. I've explored it all. It's just that yet another blossom (pet, companion, FP) doesn't thrill me much any more. I feel I need to start a new bush but, there's no other bush I like either. Maybe we can just prune the current bush and have it blossom again (ie. new engine and/or SWTOR 2.0)

As far as the forums go, I too used to post a lot and spend a lot of time trying to help. But the Care Bear nature of the mods, and the toxic nature of some posters, means I post less. It's ridiculous when you can't even call someone a "doofus" or "snowflake" without getting a "warning".

I've tried lots of other MMOs in the past - and even FFXIV lately - but none suit me.

From what I've seen of Phantasy Star, it's too "anime" for me. I especially don't like the huge weapons and stuff.

One thing I like about SWTOR is the overall realistic nature to the models, weapons, etc.

So for now, I'm basically going to wait until the 10th anniversary before making any major changes in my gaming routine.

I've tried a few, and some are ok, but it's the star wars that is my interest. I've played the emu's, but find the controls awkward. I think the reason things are so bad here, is that they know they don't have to try, and there is no outlet for star wars MMO people, there is no other option. The tenth anniversary is the ONLY reason I've been hanging on.

I've played GW2, with my sons, and it's fun grouped, but i've found it's not the same solo, seems to be like that with most. Whereas SWTOR has always been fun solo, which is probably the reason it's so hard to let go.

Installed last night. Will play some today and report for you.

Edit : Ok, so I installed and played a few hours of PSNG and I can’t say I’m fan. It’s definitely designed for console use and PC is an after thought. It’s a game that really requires a game controller over a keyboard and mouse setup.

If you are a clicker like my wife, you will probably have a hard time if you aren’t use to keyboard keybinds as you need many of these to do the combo moves. The one good thing so far is the tutorial is pretty good at teaching. About 1000x better than anything swtor employs. I will give it a few more hours, but I don’t think the game is for me.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I feel you.

However, my MMO gameplay is strictly Star Wars themed so....

My solution was a 3rd account to run through the stories again using different choices.

No legacy perks makes it a bit annoying at times, but it's also kinda cool to play like a new subscriber all over again.

It's too bad Star Citizen is...well...a never ending black hole.

I had high hopes

I feel you.

My solution was a 3rd account to run through the stories again using different choices.

No legacy perks makes it a bit annoying at times, but it's also kinda cool to play like a new subscriber all over again.

I had high hopes

I rolled on another server to do the same and also collect extra GS points for CCs. Starting new in swtor is painful once you’ve lived with all the bells and whistles and billions on credits.

Phantasy Star at least has swords that nearly look like light sabres, so there is that if you need a laser sword fix.

I also had high hopes for Star Citizen. But it seems to be a Ponzi scheme of sorts. It’s like they are taking their investors for a ride and milking them till they cancel (eventually). I highly doubt they’ll ever release a finished version. By the time they finish it will be the most expensive game never finished or finished.

I feel you.

I had high hopes

I've 90+ on SF, and run through the stories, plus with GS, I've created chars on 4/5 servers, and transferred chars over, so I have all the perks. And I've started making new chars over there, just for the stories. THey, and they alone are the only reason I'd pick this over any other MMO, as steve has said, CQ has swallowed swtor, but's what's worse now, is it has a more ravenous brother called GS......

I created a account for my daughter, she's 8, and loves flying in gsf, so I got a couple of her chars to level 10, was fun playing the game with no perks, no boosts, etc. It was slightly more challenging, I even kept the chars gearless, and didn't use the trainers, just got the auto ones.

From GW2, I offer this image of the Holosmith's Sword: https://i.imgur.com/MSs6nZR.jpg (out) and this one of it stowed https://i.imgur.com/quIbSC8.jpg (at left).

Looks like a white/white-crystal lightsabre to me...

they are cool. My two older boys play GW2 when they visit, so next time they are down, we might have to level up and see if we can find them.

I rolled on another server to do the same and also collect extra GS points for CCs. Starting new in swtor is painful once you’ve lived with all the bells and whistles and billions on credits.

Phantasy Star at least has swords that nearly look like light sabres, so there is that if you need a laser sword fix.

I also had high hopes for Star Citizen. But it seems to be a Ponzi scheme of sorts. It’s like they are taking their investors for a ride and milking them till they cancel (eventually). I highly doubt they’ll ever release a finished version. By the time they finish it will be the most expensive game never finished or finished.

Definitely going to give PS a go, just going to see what FF14 has to offer, seeing as I already subbed...lol, thankfully I've plenty of space on my HD...lol

The sad thing is, between me and my kids, swtor has lost 5 subs, admittedly, 4 were on/off, but they were there quite a lot. Not only that, but other people have pulled the plug on the game, and not just single accounts, but multple family ones. I'm not doomsaying the game, we know it still has it's core discord group ;) and they'll always have people coming and going. But it is fetid, and festering. And TBH, there is still part of me clinging on to hope, that they'll do something magical for the 10th anniversary ,

Edited by DarkTergon

they are cool. My two older boys play GW2 when they visit, so next time they are down, we might have to level up and see if we can find them.

Advice of the "HowTo" type: To get the Holosmith's Sword skin, you have to level up an *Engineer* to 80 and then learn the full specialization for Holosmith (the elite spec for Engineer from the Path of Fire expansion(1)). Thereafter, any of your characters can transmute a sword with the skin.

(1) Wherein half the NPCs are your allies from before, and they call you "Commander", while the other half are locals of Elona, and they call you "Outlander".

I kid you not.