Security Key Question

Pathera

So there are options for people who dont want a cell phone?

SWTOR uses a RFC 6238 key generator, so you can use any authenticator app that uses that as well (e.g. for Google, Microsoft, Paypal) many apps can handle several accounts and have a built in data transfer feature when you get a new device.

For Windows you can use Winauth: https://winauth.github.io/winauth/download.html

On a TI-84 use TI-Authenticator: https://github.com/jshin313/ti-authenticator :p

Edited by Mubrak

If your old phone is internet capable, like pretty much all of them are now, you can still use the key on your old phone whenever you have wifi available.

Once the app is installed, you don't even need internet to use or even setup the key. It's not llike texting a one time password. There is no communication between server and app, instead, the app generates a checksum from the current time and the actual secret key that was exchanged only once during setup.

Edited by Mubrak

Once the app is installed, you don't even need internet to use or even setup the key. It's not llike texting a one time password. There is no communication between server and app, instead, the app generates a checksum from the current time and the actual secret key that was exchanged only once during setup.

One would occasionally need internet access to sync the time code. It happened to me more than a few times when using the SWTOR security key app that I had to sync the time for the code to work. I have only had to do that a couple times since changing to another 2FA app.

One would occasionally need internet access to sync the time code. It happened to me more than a few times when using the SWTOR security key app that I had to sync the time for the code to work. I have only had to do that a couple times since changing to another 2FA app.

Or just keep the phone synchronised to the right time. (The iPhone version of the app doesn't even *have* the sync option, and I think it just calculates the difference between the "true" correct time and what the phone thinks the time it.)

Or just keep the phone synchronised to the right time. (The iPhone version of the app doesn't even *have* the sync option, and I think it just calculates the difference between the "true" correct time and what the phone thinks the time it.)

But syncing the time requires internet access. I can not speak to Apple devices as I do not use them. Before I started using another 2FA app I had to have two copies of the official app running on two different devices. I had my main account on my phone, which was obviously always online, and I had my alt account's security key on my tablet, which I kept offline most of the time to conserve battery. My phone very rarely had a problem that required me to sync the app, but my tablet would frequently require that I go online and sync the app.

Since switching I have only occasionally had to sync the time codes. The most recent of which was with my new phone as it, for some reason, was not automatically set to sync the device time. Since setting that I have not had to sync the time codes in the 2FA app.