Server Merger Between Satele Shan and Star Forge

SuperMarioM

For the community team,

I currently have all my characters on Satele Shan and I decided to create a new character on Star Forge and instantly noticed, at least to me, that Star Forge tended to have a higher population than Satele Shan. While Satele Shan is a vibrant server, I noticed that Star Forge tended to have at least 50% more the population whenever I checked. I am currently debating if I want to migrate some, if not all of my characters to Star Forge. However, since the cost is 1,000 cartel coins to transfer, I likely would only be able to transfer 2-3.

Y'all have previously done server mergers in the past and I was wondering where y'all currently stood on another round of server mergers. For me, I think the benefits would be apparent as players would have more players to play with at all times of the day along and be more likely to run more tough to group content like the Dread Seeds/Shroud final missions.

I hope y'all can respond to let us know your thoughts. Especially before I consider paying to transfer my mains over. Thank you!

Edited by SuperMarioM

No....No...No...no f**k**g way.....

Don't know if this is a troll post, the usual weekend stuff, or real, either way, it's still a no.

Dark Tergon, it's a real post. For me, it just seems like the logical move to make. More people means more potential groups I think. What's your rationale against a merger of the North American servers?

No thank you. No more mergers please. We had enough problems when they merged the last time. So no thank you.

I had enough from people telling me I shouldn't be rp when it didn't concern them.

Edited by casirabit

You want to move your characters and don't want to pay the cost. So, BW should merge entire servers impacting huge number of other players.

I think I would have to agree with this sentiment. Besides, there are plenty of threads on the forum with people complaining they can't come up with any new character names and now you're basically proposing to force people to rename characters? I have 60 characters, I don't really want to have to worry about renaming any of them.

For me, I think the benefits would be apparent

That is the problem. It's a selfish desire. You not wanting to hoof your toons over to another server because of the cost does not mean the rest of us at all appreciate your proposed solution for it.

No thank you.

I think it was rather dumb that they merged the NA servers into one East and one West and then made them both East, so now you get the situation where the biggest factor in choosing a server has become which has the highest population, meaning the bigger will only get bigger and the smaller will only get smaller.

I think they should've merged all NA servers into one when they merged servers before. I think a merge or some other measure (closing one?) is inevitable, though I also think it's not close just yet. It would perhaps be less of an issue if people were less inclined to abandon what they admit is a vibrant server.

A merge now is either too early or too late.

I think it was rather dumb that they merged the NA servers into one East and one West and then made them both East, so now you get the situation where the biggest factor in choosing a server has become which has the highest population, meaning the bigger will only get bigger and the smaller will only get smaller.

I think they should've merged all NA servers into one when they merged servers before. I think a merge or some other measure (closing one?) is inevitable, though I also think it's not close just yet. It would perhaps be less of an issue if people were less inclined to abandon what they admit is a vibrant server.

A merge now is either too early or too late.

if that's how you decided between the two servers, then you're doing it wrong. you should make that decision, first and foremost, based on the population of the server at the time of day you play the game. sounds like a technicality, but it's supremely important.

imo, the only downside to a merger is if the server capacity cannot adequately manage the larger population (i.e., would it affect server performance?). other than that, a merger increased the population available for all group activities. it's a good thing - not that SF is hurting from what I can tell, but it would be nice to see different faces during the late night hours for instanced group activities.

That is the problem. It's a selfish desire. You not wanting to hoof your toons over to another server because of the cost does not mean the rest of us at all appreciate your proposed solution for it.

No thank you.

Not sure why folks have said I'm being selfish for wanting more people to play with at all hours of the day. More people always seems better to me (of course if the server can handle it.)

But I decided to check server populations and compare them this weekend on the Pub Fleet (haven't made an Imp toon on SF yet). Of course not a full analysis of server populations.

Friday 6 PM EST Friday 7 PM EST Saturday 12 AM EST Saturday 11 AM EST

Satele Shan

Star Forge 184 210 229 156

Difference 81 110 89 85

78.64% 110.00% 63.57% 119.72%

But to clarify, I do want to move my toons over to SF for the larger server populations and I wanted to see what the community team was thinking about a server merge cause at the end of the day, spending 1000 cartel coins which is about $10 to transfer a character is a good bit of money. Back in 2016, I transferred my characters from Bastion to Harbringer and then about 6 months later, they merged the servers so obviously coulda waited.

I am wondering if there is an inherent bias opposing a merger from folks in SF or if all y'all opposing are on SS too.

Edited by SuperMarioM

Not sure why folks have said I'm being selfish for wanting more people to play with at all hours of the day. More people always seems better to me (of course if the server can handle it.)

But I decided to check server populations and compare them this weekend on the Pub Fleet (haven't made an Imp toon on SF yet). Of course not a full analysis of server populations.

Friday 6 PM EST Friday 7 PM EST Saturday 12 AM EST Saturday 11 AM EST

Satele Shan

Star Forge 184 210 229 156

Difference 81 110 89 85

78.64% 110.00% 63.57% 119.72%

But to clarify, I do want to move my toons over to SF for the larger server populations and I wanted to see what the community team was thinking about a server merge cause at the end of the day, spending 1000 cartel coins which is about $10 to transfer a character is a good bit of money. Back in 2016, I transferred my characters from Bastion to Harbringer and then about 6 months later, they merged the servers so obviously coulda waited.

I am wondering if there is an inherent bias opposing a merger from folks in SF or if all y'all opposing are on SS too.

It doesn't matter the server, it is the point you are not considering everything that is involved just for a server merge:

(1) Name loss-We have had to deal with this 2-3 times and most of us have names that we do not want to lose but in a merger you stand to lose the name. Maybe to you it doesn't matter but for some of us it does matter.

(2) Strongholds- There is a limit on how many strongholds you can have and having to choose which strongholds you are going to close is a problem for some as they have characters on more than one server.

(3) Character limits-Same as above

These are real issues which I serious doubt you have taken into consideration since the only reason you want a server merge is because you don't want to pay for your characters to be transferred to another server.

The reason some are saying selfish is the only thing you have considered is what you want and not what it entails to everyone else as mentioned above. What you could request instead of a server merge is for the transfers to be cheaper or have a discount if you are moving more than (1) character.

Edited by casirabit

It doesn't matter the server, it is the point you are not considering everything that is involved just for a server merge:

(1) Name loss-We have had to deal with this 2-3 times and most of us have names that we do not want to lose but in a merger you stand to lose the name. Maybe to you it doesn't matter but for some of us it does matter.

(2) Strongholds- There is a limit on how many strongholds you can have and having to choose which strongholds you are going to close is a problem for some as they have characters on more than one server.

(3) Character limits-Same as above

These are real issues which I serious doubt you have taken into consideration since the only reason you want a server merge is because you don't want to pay for your characters to be transferred to another server.

The reason some are saying selfish is the only thing you have considered is what you want and not what it entails to everyone else as mentioned above.

Fair. I definitely have not really considered the potential impacts of how a server merge would affect those issues. Probably because they are not as important to me as some other players. (Not saying they are not important at all.)

I am curious how other players not in the forums would also feel about these sort of issues.

Fair. I definitely have not really considered the potential impacts of how a server merge would affect those issues. Probably because they are not as important to me as some other players. (Not saying they are not important at all.)

I am curious how other players not in the forums would also feel about these sort of issues.

Players not on the forums are exactly that....they are players that do not contribute to these boards. Theyll never be here to add their perspective. Im sure they would feel the same way as most folks in this thread already do. It would be a huge no no no.

Ive already gone through two server merges and an entire legacy server transfer in this game and lost names every time. The transfers were on me but the two merges none of us had control over.

Im tired of losing names that i chose since launch day 2011. No more of that please.

The reason some are saying selfish is the only thing you have considered is what you want and not what it entails to everyone else as mentioned above. What you could request instead of a server merge is for the transfers to be cheaper or have a discount if you are moving more than (1) character.

Also very good points Casirabit

As an RPer on Satele Shan, transferring characters will result in more losses for me than a server merge, mostly around strongholds. I have 3 nar shadda strongholds after the last merger, and I doubt that would transfer over any other way any time soon. I would not mind a server merge but I will stay on Satele Shan for now.

Dark Tergon, it's a real post. For me, it just seems like the logical move to make. More people means more potential groups I think. What's your rationale against a merger of the North American servers?

For me it be losing yet another 110 character slots unless I remained subbed. I have already lost over 200 across all my accounts after the last merge. While this account is subbed my others are not. Why should I have to pay yet again for these character I have already paid for? So YOU don't have to. You are the one who wants your characters moved, you pay for it instead of asking other's to.

If it's just so you can get a group, WELL THEN BW REMOVE GROUP ACTIVITIES FULL STOP>

Yes I f***Ing angery about you poeple asking for merges.