Gear scarcity can lead to huge backlash, seen before.

ralphieceaser

I am very concerned about how scarce gear rewards could be in 7.0, mainly because the same exact situation was seen in WoW in the launch of their latest xpac where they reduced loot drops on purpose.

The problem for Swtor is worse though, because unlike WoW, Swtor has been quite generous in terms of rewards, doing a MM fp pretty much filled half your bags with loot which honestly felt great, and even if all that loot wasnt useful you could always scrap it for tech fragments which are used to buy max ilvl gear so your time is never wasted.

I dont know the full loot details but if swtor is returning to a system like that I am feeling it will cause a huge uproar because people are used to getting a ton of rewards for their time spend, and to go to a system where loot is scarce and I am assuming you have a chance to get loot that is useless to you, you are going into a situation where after finishing an MM FP you might have gotten nothing useful, same loots, wrong stats etc, that means your entire time in that FP was wasted.

That feeling can cause a lot of anger in the community and we ve seen that in WoW's latest xpac, the situation was so bad many people left and even the devs were forced to buff loot rates because they were so bad people felt they were wasting their time.

At the very least, consider the ability to scrap loot we dont need to get currency to buy or upgrade high rating loot so at least, our time never FEELS it has been wasted.

I'm quite sure MM FPs will give you a gear upgrade. And you don't have to worry about wrong stats because everything will have the same stats (SIGH).

But that's MM. Maybe veteran too but no news about story flashpoints. Not going to lie, not excited one bit at the prospect of running a flashpoint, even in story mode, to get nothing at the end.

I'm quite sure MM FPs will give you a gear upgrade. And you don't have to worry about wrong stats because everything will have the same stats (SIGH).

But that's MM. Maybe veteran too but no news about story flashpoints. Not going to lie, not excited one bit at the prospect of running a flashpoint, even in story mode, to get nothing at the end.

If they have the same stats then we ll have another major issue, I am only assuming that at launch, there will be pieces of gear with different tertiaries, so I want the boots with crit for example instead of boots with alacrity or Accuracy. I am again assuming the gear we got from PTR vendor were just one type because they didnt want to bother with more for PTR.

I am having a hard time that would not be the case because otherwise it means most stat customization is completely gutted unless of course you are a raiders cuz they are special and get access to moddable gear.

And my point was that even at MM at somepoint you would have filled some of your gear slots, the possibility of duplicates dropping or ones with wrong stats starts rising, meaning you might end up repeatedly doing MM flashpoints for literally 0 reward and if that is truly the case we have a serious problem because at that moment you are wasting your time completely.

Traditionally in SWTOR in a FP it was one piece of gear for each player at each boss that was basically "at level" for the difficulty of the content. In terms of rewards that are worth something for gearing that either means non-moddable gear with slightly abnormally generous stats, moddable gear at level but where you might have to pull all the mods and replace them, or one armor/mod/enhancement/barrel/hilt with optimized stats for at level stat budgets.

So basically you can a generous amount of fixed stats poorly optimized, a shell with RNG mediocre stats, or one modding component that is well optimized for something (hopefully related to your class and spec).

So it's RNG, but you at least have a shot at having an upgrade that's meaningful in some way. Or in other words everything but the mod you're looking for gets vendored or deconstructed.

So at expac drop the tradition is basically a piece of gear for each boss, minus duplicates, is an upgrade. After say a dozen runs of MM FPs you taper off and can still upgrade, but figure one component for every 2 to 4 FPs, until your moddable gear is optimized with respect to the MM FP rating cap. At which point you should be fine to jump into a HM Op without being undergeared.

No idea what they're actually going to do, but that would be about "back to normal" if you classify say 2.0 or 3.0 as "normal."

It was a grind, but set up so you got a lot of dopamine hits at the start to keep the not-very-good-at-calculating-probability lizard brain pecking at the shiny red button long after it stops making sense.

Once you were fully MM FP geared, then everything after that was vendor trash or feedstock for crafting via deconstruction. There wasn't additional gear progression. Very old school WoW sort of gearing model to start. But SWTOR embraced currency/crate based supplemental systems early and enthusiastically so I doubt that's going away completely.

Edited by Ramalina

But SWTOR embraced currency/crate based supplemental systems early and enthusiastically so I doubt that's going away completely.

This is vital, the ability to RE gear you didnt want to get a currency to buy gear meant even when gear you didnt need/like dropped, your time wasnt wasted, you could always turn it into such a currency so you were one step closer to getting that gear piece you wanted, your time wasnt wasted because currency like that has value for power progression and as long as we get it by doing content, it makes the content worth doing.

Meaning not only you could gear to max through time even if you got unlucky with bad drops, you could also gear the rest of your characters with that currency.

Meanwhile you could see without that, in shadowlands, you would keep doing m+ and get nothing for multiple runs, and the one time you got something is you be the wrong stats or an inferior piece and just stop bothering.

Edited by ralphieceaser

This is vital, the ability to RE gear you didnt want to get a currency to buy gear meant even when gear you didnt need/like dropped, your time wasnt wasted, you could always turn it into such a currency so you were one step closer to getting that gear.

Yea Frag's is mostly still for 75 gear and likely won't go away. Yet they should offered something a little extra for all 80 Level Content Flashpoint or Operation. I however suspect they have as those will be the only ones to aware 80 Level Gear. While you can earn Medal of Commendation for 75 Level Content too, possibly others it will take awhile to upgrade Gear at Legacy of Sith Vendors. I mean it's bad enough we only get 1 new Flashpoint, and then need to wait a month or more for the Operation. Both likely depending on difficulty also have different Max Item Level, and it will be based on your Item Level like before.

What I was confused about however, is they seemed to remove several Flashpoints. VET has only 8 shown, and Master shows only 7. I'm hoping there is still 27 Flashpoints, and it's just the FILTER list that has been reduced! Still a tooltip be a WISE thing to add! :eek:

They've only slightly improved or clarified this:

https://i.imgur.com/uVB38UN.png

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Still sadly the 'REWARD' is mostly to do a single Operations, countlessly repeated? I mean how many new Operations have they introduced in the last 2-3 years? And that often requires finding people who want to do it with you, or be online at a time when the Guild will run 1, 2, or 3 of them.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I mean with just Renown gone, going to greatly reduce Gear Crates for new Players! While I liked how 6.0 handled it far more, at least with Medals of Commendation they are bridging the GAP, it will still be a lot slower progress than before however! And it will also require mostly repeating a limited Operation, you have to find others to run with as well! As they won't be in QUEUE finder either most likely... ...as someone else said, how many new Operations have we had in the last 2-3 years! :(

Yea as I said above, I only TRULY Hope all 80 Flashpoints award something!

Edited by Strathkin