Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How does BioWare feel about GSF just being used by PVE players to farm conquest?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
How does BioWare feel about GSF just being used by PVE players to farm conquest?

HaoZhao
05.07.2021 , 12:31 PM | #1
Ever look at the scoreboard at the end of a GSF match? 80% of players on both teams have zero kills and pretty much did nothing but die. There's one or two guys in each team who actually play and do things and the rest just go through the motions until the match ends and they get participation credit in the conquest window.

Some guildmate of mine mentioned the other day that does so well in conquest because he just plays every type of ship 5 times and it doesn't matter if he ever actually does anything in the match. Is this situation satisfactory to BioWare?

phalczen
05.07.2021 , 01:22 PM | #2
+ Im getting pops all the time
+ Im completing galactic seasons objectives and conquest and renown and tech fragments, so my participation benefits the ground game for myself and my guild. I am helping my guild reach guild goal which benefits all of us.
+ Maybe some of these new players will actually stay and like it
+ I see less intentional (griefing) self-destructors
+ More players may prompt more developer attention to address outstanding GSF issues like the tutorial, arguably remote slicing, long standing bugs like the tier 4/5 component deselect and the missing companion passives on the hangar screen.
- I get a lot of unbalanced matches, but Im not sure the ratio of good to bad is any different than before the conquest changes of 6.2 or whenever it was

So, my jury is still out. I see a lot of pluses in my list above. Degenerate play is all over the game in all sorts of areas, the question becomes what is the pressure to address it? When does degenerate play rise to the level of exploit? Im not sure where that line is anymore, especially because I cant imagine Bioware didnt foresee, with Galactic Seasons, some players would be entering matches and contributing minimally just to get the objective cleared. I think they hoped for the best (some players might stay and try to get better) but prepared for the worst (there would be people just there to get the checkmark).

However, consider this. Remember that the ground pvp dailies and weeklies were changed to only count on wins. But the Galactic Seasons objectives only require a completed match. I suspect this is intended to compensate the players who felt they got the short end of the deal with that change to the daily and weekly. Some similar mentality may be at work here.
If you would like to hear more of my thoughts, consider joining our guilds on Satele Shan, "Shock and Jawa" of the Republic and "Full Metal Jawa" of the Empire. Thank you for reading!

Ramalina
05.07.2021 , 05:14 PM | #3
I'm seeing bombers in games again, because now there's a reasonable chance that enough people won't know how to deal with them that they can be quite effective. I like seeing Hyperspace Beacons again.

I also wonder if the matchmaker works a bit better with a larger pool in the queue. I've been getting more close matches than I'm normally accustomed to.

Also seeing more people communicating and asking questions in ops chat in matches.

On the whole signs are mildly positive I think.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Enticy
05.08.2021 , 04:36 PM | #4
There is honestly an influx of new players that accounts for the discrepancies in skill level. Ive seen people actually trying in gsf matches. They just dont get far because they dont know how. As mentioned, there are a lot less self destructs and people just flying in circles. Its more that the same experienced pilots (myself included) keep seeing the top of the leaderboards.

Ttoilleekul
05.09.2021 , 03:02 AM | #5
They have succeeded in getting GSF to have as many as 8 simultaneous games. For that I applaud them. Even if you make participation win focused, that is to say it rewards wins (which I think it should) you cannot force people to learn the mode. That is up to the individual. In less than two weeks I am already seeing less stock ship bars, meaning in that short time many of these galactic season players are buying new ships and upgrading them. I've seen comments from people saying they are "beginning to get the hang of things", and others saying "trash game mode."

I personally thinks it's a good thing. I like not seeing the same names every match for two hours. Bioware wants participation in all the different aspect of Swtor. Galactic Seasons has brought activity to so many aspects of the game. They did a good job. Some people will learn to like it, others never will. We can't ask more than that.

If you have ever seen me play, and know the level I play at, know that I started playing GSF because of the Ossus Weekly Master work Data crystal event. I was playing before that, but casually. At the time Ossus dropped, is when I started playing hard. So a Dev participation incentive is directly responsible for making me both play GSF, and like it enough that I stuck around and got pretty good.
-Luc Nodaro
Link to My Youtube channel for GSF
Always happy to offer coaching / training for GSF.

Stradlin
05.10.2021 , 11:50 AM | #6
In a typical 12 vs 12 match, I'd say there's maybe 2-3 people who just abuse the system and sit there. And like 6-8 people who are clearly new pilots busy trying their best.(low-ish overall damage+terrible accuracy) Great to see new players giving GSF a shot. Many seem to like it well enough.

ForfiniteStories
05.10.2021 , 05:03 PM | #7
More newbs means more food for my Flashfire.

I take extra delight in targeting the baby Gunships and Strike Fighters. It's best to get them while they're still young.
"Nothing beats an A-wing." - Tallie Lintra, Battlefront II: Starfighter Assault

Eli_Porter
05.11.2021 , 01:45 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by HaoZhao View Post
Ever look at the scoreboard at the end of a GSF match? 80% of players on both teams have zero kills and pretty much did nothing but die.

There's one or two guys in each team who actually play and do things and the rest just go through the motions until the match ends and they get participation credit in the conquest window.
Not at all, I doubt you play GSF much and are just mad people are playing it and reaping the rewards.

Quote:
Some guildmate of mine mentioned the other day that does so well in conquest because he just plays every type of ship 5 times and it doesn't matter if he ever actually does anything in the match. Is this situation satisfactory to BioWare?
That's only once per week per legacy, you can't "farm" GSF unless it's a specific conquest week (Clash in Hyperspace or Total Galactic War).

SeCKSEgai
05.11.2021 , 06:12 AM | #9
I remember what it was like when it was really bad.

With seasons people realize its more long term and are more likely to care since its something they'll be doing regularly.

Yeah, there are definitely more 0 kill counts on the board - but there are also a lot more players that wouldn't touch gsf otherwise. I still haven't forgotten that when I started how desperate I was just to get a kill.

With so many players being exposed to GSF, we finally have a chance to see some real growth in the community as opposed to bleeding players year after year.
Riyn - Maryss - Rlnd - Mony - Retrocide - Reiy

Rlentless - Reyn - Rlad - Ttiana

philwil
05.11.2021 , 07:33 PM | #10
Im finding that, many times, i will explain as best i can in the 1 minute to 30 seconds i have before a match and explain how this map, match type works

and, i have gotten good results

mind you not all the time, because, bad stuff will happen, regardless of what you say

but, if you start off with "This is how you win on this map/mode" and explain as easy as you can, the deal.

I mean, there was this time the other day, most of my team was 3 or 4 ships, and the other team were all five shippers.

Five shippers meaning, most likely more experienced, veterans because they have five ships on their bar.

I explained what DOM was, and how to win it.

Boom! we won 1000-650 or something

But, there i was thinking we were going to lose badly, and the team pulled it off

of course, giving direction during a match is good too, it helps alot
Flux
Snuffleupagus, Sishyafiq, Baby Yodda, and many, many more
23k plus matches under my belt
Please dont take my advice. I know nothing.