Latency by class

Letsjet

Obviously sub classes that have more instant abilities are affected less than those with activation times. So it’s not really classes as such, it’s specs. Ie Lightning Sorc has more instants than Madness. Edited by TrixxieTriss

Initially I thought of this as a question about Alacrity. But it is about network latency if I'm not mistaken; OP can clarify. Is there a reason to think latency impact varies by Class, Advanced Class, Discipline, or by Activated/Channelled/Instant ability types? That is a question and not a statement masquerading as a question. Edited by mike_carton

Well.. it may be a matter of practical experience, but it's not a 1:1 thing to translate one person's experience to the next.

For instance.. using maximum ability queue time helps me compensate for latency some, especially on specs with lots of casts. I can sometimes see, within the time frame of my one-second queue, the game catching up with my input, and as long as I keep pressing what I know I should be pressing, instead of what the lag is trying to make me think I should be pressing, there's much less difference in performance compared to playing on a server with lower latency. But I've seen someone (that may have been TrixxieTriss) state that lowering ability queue time was essential to coping with high latency. Does that mean one of us is wrong? Or does that mean our different amounts of latency affect us differently? Or our play styles?

On theorycrafter discord I've seen a recurring discussion about how much alacrity to use to compensate for latency, and there doesn't seem to be any one specific outcome to that either (except to experiment).

So unfortunately I don't believe there is an absolute sort of answer to OP's question. Too many factors involved, and "latency" can refer to an infinitely large range of numbers.

Edited by cyrusramsey

It’s definitely a difficult thing to quantify as everyone’s situation will be different. Ie, PC hardware/Software, home networking, ISP, routing to server and distance, different stat setups and of course the games own ability to affect activation lag.

Simplistically, the more latency you have out side of the game, the more you’ll have compounded into the game. The best thing you can do is try and minimise all latency issues outside of the game before playing. Obviously some are beyond our control, like distance and often routing. But we can control some issues to reduce hardware and software induced latency on our ends and you can use 3rd party VPN services to partially control your routing.

As far as what class specs are least affected by large latency, it depends on what you consider large and what type of content you play. If you are like me and have 220+ms ping and want to play pvp, you will have to not only deal with activation lag, but also desync (positional lag).

If you are melee class, it becomes much more difficult because opponents may not be where they seem to be while you are waiting on activations to happen. It’s why I recommend melee class/specs that have more instant abilities than cast time ones. The same goes for ranged as well, but there is a bit more room for lag on ranged classes as long as you don’t have someone LoSing you constantly (who has better ping). I’d still recommend more instant ability specs over castable ones if you have high ping.

Probably one of the hardest classes I find to play with high ping is operatives because you have such a small strike window if you want to attack a pvp opponent from behind and operatives require a higher skill level even without lag. When you add desync to the mix with any activation lag and you can miss that window easily.

One of the easiest melee class specs to play with high lag (not taking meta into account here, just mechanics) is deception assassin. The other 2 melee class/specs I find easier to play with the ping is rage Jugg and fury mara because they are mostly instant casts and they have good mobility and range closes. (I can’t comment on Powertechs because I don’t play them, but I can see they might also be ok).

For ranged, Lightning Sorcs are by far the easiest to play with high ping. Followed by Arsenal Merc and engineering snipers. And as much as I love my marksman sniper, it is probably the hardest ranged to play with high ping in a pvp environment (excluding meta preferences) because it’s so easy to LoS against if there is cover.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

• 2 weeks later...
pyro fine?

sonic rebounder ok for that ms latency?

The answer is in the post before yours, really. It's not to say that performance isn't affected, but with 150ms you can play any content in this game on any class and spec just fine.

My latency is lower nowadays, but I've taken every spec into some of the harder content in this game, over the years, with 170ms latency. I can't comment on pvp, but I'd be inclined to believe TrixxieTriss on that front, who knows a thing or to about playing pvp with high latency.

Edited by cyrusramsey

Latency is bad bc I play on Darth Malgus. I day raid (US CST with a 25 ms here, but play with a 150 ms on a London server.) I can't raid on American servers bc of family responsibilities, etc

I live in a third world bananero de mierda at the arse-end of the world, and I get 250-300ms at best...

Edited by ElZaguero

I live in a third world bananero de mierda at the arse-end of the world, and I get 250-300ms at best...

Have you tried WTFast gaming VPN? It really helps reduce my ping and ping spikes playing from Australia. Especially when the routing gets to the US and I can’t by pass some of the more problematic paths to the servers.

I'm guessing you are in Sao Paulo then? SP has generally good infrastructure.

I'm in Buenos Aires. Internet here is for ****

No, I'm in the Center-West region of Brazil and that's as much as I'll divulge in a public forum.

• 1 month later...
Initially I thought of this as a question about Alacrity. But it is about network latency if I'm not mistaken; OP can clarify. Is there a reason to think latency impact varies by Class, Advanced Class, Discipline, or by Activated/Channelled/Instant ability types? That is a question and not a statement masquerading as a question.

I'm finding that my mouse kinda over compensate with movement. Instants v. global dont feel incredible different. I guess alacrity or crit would help

• 3 months later...
Have you tried WTFast gaming VPN? It really helps reduce my ping and ping spikes playing from Australia. Especially when the routing gets to the US and I can’t by pass some of the more problematic paths to the servers.

I've never even heard of this VPN... How is it better than a generic one like Nord or Express?