Storyline and Open-World Content Difficulty or lack of...

cheeseforme

Sorry Trixx , but that ^ isn't an accurate representation of the thread at all. So, you either didn't read all 6 pages or you saw what you wanted to see and decided to over-generalize to better suit the rest of your paragraphs.

Nuance & context still matter.

Case-in-point: i actually AGREE with the OP's (and apparently yours) point of view. (that Class stories are too easy and therefore often feel "anticlamatic" ) . Therefore, if someone agrees with the point of view, how then can that same someone be accused of "going al in without considering" the same point of view already stated as being agreed with?

---

Agreed. Let me say that again: i AGREE with you.

Still doesn't change the fact that the OP refuses to acknowledge there's existing *challenging* content (with story) that he/she has yet to clear (or even attempt) .

Consequently, if the OP (or any fringe vocal minority) seeks greater challenge, but won't even consider trying ANY of the listed options SWTOR offers to possibly maybe satisfy that supposed 'challenge need' , then who's fault is it?

Certainly not BioWare's.

Ah, but it is BioWare's fault. The game at one time had a modicum of challenge. They decided to dumb it down to "kids and grandmas" difficulty for some insane reason. We don't want "Dark Souls" difficult but the lack of challenge fails to prepare new players for other content, and so if they attempt it, they get a rude awakening and often, angry teammates. Many of them then become discouraged and never attempt to stomach group content again because of a single bad experience. Even if they're not interested in group content, it can hardly be rewarding to mindlessly spam the same three or four abilities (if they're even that adventurous) and defeating your enemy in 2-3 hits without ever worrying about dying because your companion set to heals makes you immortal or you've overleveled to the point your tertiary stats make everything in the galaxy seem like it's made of cardboard.

sorry but, the 1-50 stories are the biggest draw this game has. a decade since they came out they are still the most compelling, the best this game has to offer. new stuff is sub par and below the barrier of what can be. them going back and updating the cutscenes is a good start. now to make the gameplay during that story compelling again

This is off-topic, but I really think there are far more important things the devs could've done instead of "updating" some of the cutscenes. The camera at times moves just for the sake of moving. And it doesn't fit in with the rest of the cutscenes. They're just two different styles and they don't mesh well with each other. If they're going to replace cutscenes, they should replace them all, but personally, I think they should leave the old ones, because a lot of the camera movement is superfluous. They were fine as they were. Some were without a doubt better in the old format because the new ones go overboard. Whoever is directing cutscenes could learn a thing or two about cinematography by watching more movies and TV shows and reading more comics.

I agree, vanilla is still the biggest draw and the best written story, and the devs should make it compelling so players want to stick around. Ever since KotFE/KotET, the model seems to be to just keep drawing in new players and to keep replacing them because they don't stick around long. Well, why does it have high turnover? There's certainly more than one reason, but one of the bigger reasons has to be challenge, because there are new players that attempt group content but get discouraged and quit as soon as they're raged at. Of course raging is just about the worst response someone can have, but new players need to be better prepared for group content as well in case they do decide to try it. It's those kinds of activities that will keep players subscribing.

Edited by CommunityDroidEU

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is extremely difficult to learn to play your class during class story. Go through default experience (class story -> revan expansion->kotfe etc) and you've not once had the opportunity to see most of your class mechanics in action.

I wish I could upvote this bit because that’s the core issue.

But this is also why increasing the difficulty level again so late in the games life is problematic because the majority of players are use to playing the game on simple mode. If you increase the difficulty now, they will just stop playing and then the game gets shut down from lack of funds for development or the servers become ghost towns left on with no more development.

It’s catch-22. Bioware are damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

Agreed.

So what's the solution? How do you balance all Class stories in a 10-year-old game to be just exactly easy enough for the majority playerbase , who pay most of the bills, but exactly challenging enough for the more "hardcore" players who dictate most of the press & polls?

If you can answer that, realistically, then you deserve a position designing every MMO in history. :D

Otherwise, you could consider BioWare's solution that they tried with KOTFE/KOTET chapters: Offer 3 different combat challenge levels (story, veteran, master) and let the players choose.

They could at least add some boss mechanics to those fights. Stuff you MUST interrupt, enrage mechanics, "soup" you need to stay out of.... Also give the enemy some more HP, make it more like a FP boss fight.

Storyline content prolly makes something like 90% of gameplay for 90% of people. Talking about how easy it is is kinda valid. It is also a very common complaint.

In fact, it is kinda misleading to speak of it as easy. Doing so puts core gameplay of TOR in same basket with stuff like " this super mario galaxies level is so easy!". That's very unfair towards the latter and misleading towards the former: Core gameplay of TOR isn't even present on some easy-moderate-hard axis. Play some extremely easy platformer without paying any attention and you gonna have real bad time! You fall to pits, get defeated by enemies.. In TOR, dififculty of combat is set so low that you start failing elsewhere long before you start getting beaten up by sith lords and jedis masters and stuff. Long before that, you start failing in finding location of next mission. You fail to initiate dialogue. You fail to enter your password and security key when logging in. All of these things are much more difficult than battles during core gameplay. Any sort of dififculty, easy or otherwise ,just isn't present as a game mechanic during core gameplay.

I'm not sure if anybody is asking or expecting core gameplay to be -difficult-. People are asking for it not to be well beyond easy. It is extremely difficult to learn to play your class during class story. Go through default experience (class story -> revan expansion->kotfe etc) and you've not once had the opportunity to see most of your class mechanics in action.

This is a very good explanation and raises another question: How much experience do new SWTOR players have with video games at all? Do they have little to no video game experience? Because if they do, that raises a whole other problem, that of how to teach them the basics that the game assumes its players already know or can infer from experience with other games they have played.

Judging from the kinds of questions I've seen on the forums and the subreddit, many of the new players have gaming experience but with different types of games and typically on different platforms. They ask what we think are simple questions or complain about graphics, controls, or gameplay/mechanics, because they are used to more direct, single-player, action-oriented games with only a handful of abilities with more gradual learning curves that are more common on consoles, while a few seem to have not played a game in a long time, if ever.

and if you haven't
, you will have a tough time learning things on your own or if you only know one language, may find it difficult to grasp another but related language. That's why they especially need someone to explain what experienced gamers think are simple concepts and mechanics. If one doesn't have someone to help them learn, they are in for a very painful, frustrating, and enraging experience. Edited by Tofu_Shark

This is a very good explanation and raises another question: How much experience do new SWTOR players have with video games at all? Do they have little to no video game experience? Because if they do, that raises a whole other problem, that of how to teach them the basics that the game assumes its players already know or can infer from experience with other games they have played.

Big enough playerpool to ensure there are plenty of exceptions to any rule in this regard. I suppose/guess that very generally speaking, people doing classic tab targeter MMOs in 2021 aren't usually busy with their first rodeo. I'm betting this covers most of the new players too. It is bit sad and kinda mindblowing how Elder Scrolls Online is still the latest AAA MMO to be released. Like 8 years after its release. At least when it comes to new arrivals/players that join my guild, "yeah I did hardcore raiding in WoW for 15 years and figured it is time for something new" is a fairly common story. People are thirsty for the new big AAA MMO. In absence of one, they go through ones they've never tried before. These people could prolly survive combat that requires same amount of competence and congnitive functions that inserting password when logging in demands.

Following is bit off topic but hey,

Remember those Telltale interactive stories? Walking Dead and whatnot. Ultimately they have much in common with how many people seem to enjoy TOR. (Story and interactive storytelling before everything else.) I remember how their former studio lead kept explaining how they wanted to make games so accessible that people who don't play games at all could enjoy them. Despite such approach...holy sith. That stuff was the Dark Souls of dialogue wheel spinning! You had to make tough decisions very quickly. Picking and choosing right option was very game-ish edge of the seat stuff: Opportunities and moments came and went real fast. There was no taking things back. No escape via esc. Dialogue often amounted to decisions in middle of action. It translated into pretty intense edge of your seat stuff at best..despite gameplay being ridiculously simple. Meanwhile, in TOR your Knight and the evil sith lord politely have a staring contest for as long as it takes for you to google what the different dialogue options are. On top of all this, decisions are rarely diifficult or painfuil in TOR and amount to "what you say" almost always and "what you do" only rarely. In comparsion to Telltale stuff, TOR is very kiddie-gloves-on in this regard, too.

Edited by Stradlin

Judging from the kinds of questions I've seen on the forums and the subreddit, many of the new players have gaming experience but with different types of games and typically on different platforms. They ask what we think are simple questions or complain about graphics, controls, or gameplay/mechanics, because they are used to more direct, single-player, action-oriented games with only a handful of abilities with more gradual learning curves that are more common on consoles, while a few seem to have not played a game in a long time, if ever.

Gaming is kind of like knowing a language and if you haven't learned that language you will have a tough time learning things on your own or if you only know one language, may find it difficult to grasp another but related language. That's why they especially need someone to explain what experienced gamers think are simple concepts and mechanics. If one doesn't have someone to help them learn, they are in for a very painful, frustrating, and enraging experience.

A lot of that makes sense and I can relate because you basically summed up my wife before she started playing swtor. Even today, after 9 years of playing the game, she still comes to me to ask questions that she should already know the answer to or understand or know how to find out herself.

Ugh, this again...

I've been here since beta, and I'm much happier with the easier content overall.

While I wish they'd tune some of the story boss encounters to be more fulfilling (not really harder, just longer and more climactic feeling), I absolutely despise "boss mechanics." I find them very frustrating, often stupid (the Almighty Knight Shield saving the day? really?), or totally irrelevant to the story (glowing balls in Revan fight in SOR, or the heal you/damage Vaylin thingys in KOTET. Why are they there? why do they matter?)

Last new content I played was Echoes of Oblivion, and while I enjoyed the story, I still don't understand the boss mechanics (I just ran around in circles until I won). This is both frustrating and boring, to the point I still have not played SoV. I don't want to have to lookup a guide before I tackle story content. It's immersion breaking. Leave that for Vet/Master mode and Ops

Fortunately I'm an altoholic

I find it really annoying though when people come into the forum, wanting to make content harder just so they can get what they want without any consideration of other players.

It's a lot easier to make easy content harder for you than to make hard content easy for those who want/need it.

So rather than trying to push that playstyle on everyone else, I suggest trying to come up with ideas for how to introduce optionally difficult content for those who enjoy it, or ideas on how existing content can be made more difficult as is (ex. setting companions to passive, playing without a mainhand on the less weapon heavy classes (ex. Sorc, operative knife-everything discipline whose name escapes me right now) etc.)

It's not suppose to be a movie, it's an mmorpg, a video game. You get on it for the challenge mixed with the fun. How is it entertaining for you to passively run through a game with literally no effort? The point of most MMORPG is to kill things and gain experience, rewards for it and face the challenges introduced

This mentality is so bizarre and foreign to me and quite frankly, shamefully lazy.:(

Since when do you get to decide what someone else should want out of a game? But let's flip your script: It's an MMO, and it's an old one at that. It needs to be as appealing as possible to as wide an audience as possible. It needs as many players as it can get spending money on it, either through subs or other purchases. What it doesn't need are players attempting to alienate other players with "but you're doing it wrong". They're not doing it wrong, they're doing what they're having fun doing, and it doesn't matter a bit if you can't understand it, because frankly, it's not your concern.

The levelling doesn't need to be challenging. Levelling your character is a small part of the game. It would get old pretty quickly if you had to fight for your life every few minutes through what? 5/6 expacs?

The levelling doesn't need to be challenging. Levelling your character is a small part of the game. It would get old pretty quickly if you had to fight for your life every few minutes through what? 5/6 expacs?

Agreed.... I play this game to have FUN..... Not to increase my STRESS level.

What if the devs created tacticals that lowers the hitpoints of any character using it? They could make a few that lower the HP by incremental percentages, i.e. 10%, 25%, 50% and %75. This way a player could have a range of difficulty increase to pick from and could use different percentages for different characters.

This could potentially solve two problems. One, this could force a player that has the tactical to use the defensive skills they have instead of solely relying on the basic attack. It might also make the management of things like Force and heat important again. Theoretically, players might have to think more strategically because their character could die if If the mob gets in a good hit. Two, this localizes the change to a character instead of making a change that effects everyone uniformly.

Another potential benefit is that it might allow the devs to make the game more challenging, and more like it used to be, without having to completely rebalance the game. If 75% is too much then use the 50 or 25 tactical. They could provide an adjustable scale. Further Boss mechanics might actually make a difference again. I believe that most of the bosses that had special mechanics still do, it just doesn't really matter right now.

What if the devs created tacticals that lowers the hitpoints of any character using it? They could make a few that lower the HP by incremental percentages, i.e. 10%, 25%, 50% and %75. This way a player could have a range of difficulty increase to pick from and could use different percentages for different characters.

This could potentially solve two problems. One, this could force a player that has the tactical to use the defensive skills they have instead of solely relying on the basic attack. It might also make the management of things like Force and heat important again. Theoretically, players might have to think more strategically because their character could die if If the mob gets in a good hit. Two, this localizes the change to a character instead of making a change that effects everyone uniformly.

Another potential benefit is that it might allow the devs to make the game more challenging, and more like it used to be, without having to completely rebalance the game. If 75% is too much then use the 50 or 25 tactical. They could provide an adjustable scale. Further Boss mechanics might actually make a difference again. I believe that most of the bosses that had special mechanics still do, it just doesn't really matter right now.

Those tacticals would need to be useable pre lvl 75 and if they make tacticals useable pre lvl 75, they’d probably make other tacs that would be better to use than these.

An option could be a module like the white Acute module, but have one that reduces damage. And talking of the white Acute modules, I wish they would also reduce XP gained when used outside of double XP events (especially from conquest rewards).

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Storyline and Open-World Content Difficulty or lack of...

Addressing storyline content specifically, people forget or have no idea what transpired in the past.

Which is laughable, because it wasn't that many years ago people were saying certain story bosses were too hard and they were nerfed. I contributed to that thread. One in particular I could never defeat (Kira's companion story line) unless I was 1 level higher than the boss.

People gunning for harder content won't make a newb's life any easier, which will turn away new players for a game that cannot afford to do that, and also make the game harder than its market competitors for its most salient and unique feature (a strong story line) for the sake of a few forum posters bellyaching about how easy things are.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Then you give harder content (Spirit of Vengeance) and everyone complains about it.

Seriously though - no. I've done the story on 23 toons and even then it took me a while because I wish you could just level up from the main story alone, but you still have to do things on the side to keep up... which is already annoying. If it was harder, I wouldn't have bothered...

I'm here for the story content, I'd rather not be stuck banging my head against the wall because it's too hard. If I want hard content I'll go run hard flashpoints, uprisings, or go do KOTFE/ET in Veteran or Master mode. Story stuff needs to be available for everyone, make that harder and you make it difficult for people who may have disabilities or other things that stop them from doing/enjoying 'harder' stuff and blocking off what they may enjoy or prefer. You can make it hard for yourself without messing up other players. Put your companion on passive, dismiss them, wear less/no gear, etc. I don't find anything fun about killing trash mobs, they just stand between me and the next story beat and if it takes me two hits rather than five to kill them, so be it. Generally you're less likely to use your entire rotation outside of higher level content, and I'd rather not have everything at Heroics tier difficulty when I'm just trying to do class story.

Just look at Spirit of Vengeance and how many people complained about the difficulty spike in the story mode of that. Story content shouldn't require the best gear just to get through it.

SoV isn't hard when you don't hit bugs. My first run was smooth, second was buggy. It's just boring because of wall to wall silver elites making what should be a 30min flashpoint take 2 to 3hrs. If they want to slow a FP they should add more bosses and story to it, grinding trash is just not fun.

SoV isn't hard when you don't hit bugs. My first run was smooth, second was buggy. It's just boring because of wall to wall silver elites making what should be a 30min flashpoint take 2 to 3hrs. If they want to slow a FP they should add more bosses and story to it, grinding trash is just not fun.

Apparently it's not hard if you have max gear, but it's near impossible if you don't and for Story mode it shouldn't be that way. Some of us only play for the story. We only have and use whatever gear we get from playing the game. For our playstyle we shouldn't have to be hardcore competitive level. Let Spirit of Vengeance have three play modes like other flashpoints. Have Veteran and Master for those who want and enjoy the challenge of the game system and let Story be for the those who play the Story.

It is when they play group content that way as well.

The second they got to decide what other players wanted out of the game!

MMOs don't have to have such mass appeal. There are plenty of MMOs still active that never had mass appeal or no longer have it. This isn't necessarily an outcome, but this idea that it must appeal to everyone isn't the only viable strategy. Aiming for that wide of a demographic only serves to dilute what makes the game great.

I'm seeing a lot of fear, uncertainty, and doubt being used as an argument against making the story just a little more challenging.

Form your own group, queue for random, problem solved, yes?

I wonder if those other MMOs started out with large audiences, that dwindled off, like the PvP dedicated servers did here? Since the stories for the main classes was what made the game great to start with, from my perspective, since I'm not a huge SW nerd, no offence to any that are, it's a SW MMO after all, and I'm not seeing that they're all that diluted as far as plot goes. As far as combat, or bosses in combat, was there ever a time that they were hard? Because I've been around a good while, and I don't remember it. The only places where bosses were really bad asses was in cutscenes, a situation that persisted all the way through Arcann and Vailynn.

I have run tank, dps and heals in progression raiding, until I had to quit due to my migraines. I have speeders, crystals and trophies a plenty from my time doing so. So no "fear", I've run some of the hardest content in the game, that was supposed to be the hardest content in game. Since RotHC, i have never found this game to be hard, or challenging. I did a solo run of Battle of Ilum before there was a Story Mode. I routinely ran the H4 on Oricon, on a Shadow tank with a DPS comp, when comps were unique, had to be geared, and Oricon was relevant. What is it, exactly, about this game that was ever hard, outside of Operations?

One thing I should add though that option is only for the KOTFE/KOTET expansions, so choosing veteran or master will have you starting the chapters at those difficulties. They do not work with the rest of the game sadly.

I have suggested ( many times ) that there be made available the ability to choose a greater ( more flexible) level of difficulty in more areas of the game.

If it is instanced ... it's possible !!

** story mode (just as the title indicates minimal level of difficulty)

** veteran (more like the current SoV level recommended for experienced players looking for more of a challange)

** master (increased difficulty level )

** élite ( totally nuts !! But no doubt "fun" for some players)

These levels could be made available for either group or solo players !!

IN any case IMO we'll never see that much of a change again. KotFE / ET repeatable areas with different levels of difficulty was a great idea. But I also rather suspect that so many people had nothing but contempt for part of the game we'll never see the amount of time and effort required to create that sort of an expansion ever put into the game ever again !

My take on this is... give us an additional version of new content. Make this version like an interactive movie. Delete all trash groups, make bosses auto-surrender after the initial cutscene is over. If players choose to play this version of the new content, they are not allowed to use groupfinder, or pvp, or any kind of groupcontent. That will automatically prevent that these players, that obviously don't understand their class, the game, or anything in SWTOR, have to be carried by others in group content. Do like three warnings in front of choosing what version of the content people want to play. Only a call to support can reverse their decision. If those people want to do group content again, they have to upload a parse, where they have to reach at least 50% of what is capable with their class. Edited by SoontirMorillo

Any difficulty in the original 1-50 content was destroyed in 4.0 to support the Odessen base / Starfortress / Companion alert grinds along with the changes to companions that left them overpowered.

To reuse the original heroics and the old bonus areas as end-game content for 4.0, they added level sync, and as a compromise (many many players were dead set against level sync), they set the caps at such a level that over-leveled characters in level-synced content were several levels higher than the mobs AND given stats equal to being fully geared at that higher level.

Add to that the changes made to companions that made them stronger, allowed them to rank up to 50 instead of 10, and allowed them all to fill any role, and you get nearly immortal players when over-leveled in level sync content.

Oh, and they also increased XP such that just playing the game ensured players were over-leveled, so much so that we still see threads asking for a way to constrain or lock XP even when it isn't a double XP event.

As for solutions at this time - maybe they could add a way to reduce/lock XP to keep from over-leveling as at or below level, the content has retained most of its original challenge (though players would still need to use low-rank comps), they could also add some terminal or item allowing players to set their personal sync below the default (e.g. use terminal/item on level 25 planet - instead of being set to 26 or 27 with full stats, character is set to 23 with basic stats).

Lastly, they should go back to higher-level story missions that end on low-level worlds and set the story instance to the original level, and sync at that level by default. For example, a story mission that would have occurred at level 50 should have an instance/boss set to 50, and not say level 12 just because the final mission supposedly occurs on a starter world. It is absurd to have the final boss of a class story set at level 12 and die as fast as they do.

Edited by DawnAskham

It is absolutely hilarious for me to read some of the responses here, from people that apparently don't read zone chats when they're in game? At least once a week, for the last 2 months and a bit of change, I have seen someone posting about how they're dying constantly in story missions, on various planets. Nar Shaddaa and Tatooine seem to be the most prominent, but that may be because those are the ones I visit most often, due to SHs. But hey, there's a lot of vets that wouldn't be challenged no matter what they did, or some, anyway, so they need to tune up that difficulty... We've already got one poster in this thread claiming MMOs don't need a wide audience, that they can get by on just a few dedicated fans.

Take that difficulty up to 11, in so far as I'm concerned, but pass out some forum bans if someone that's been whinging about needing harder content comes in and starts demanding nerfs, instead of banning the players that point at them and laugh. You see, I've seen this before. DDO went for years screaming for a harder difficulty than Elite. It was relatively easy to do there, since there are no OW areas, everything quest related is instanced.

Fast forward a couple years, and they got their Reaper difficulty, and what happened? "This is stupid hard, it needs to be nerfed". From some of the same people that insisted the game was too easy. But when you pointed out that they could just play a lower difficulty, they hit report post so fast it would make one's head spin. This, despite that being their catch phrase when more casual players would insist that Elite needed to be toned down some.

So really, I'm starting to think they should do just that. Provide a Master Mode for all story content, but do it with a lock. If you choose it, you're locked in until you finish your class story. Threads about nerfing it should be locked, with "This was done by popular demand, if you can't play it, delete the character and stay in Story Mode" disclaimer. I'm sure some of us could handle it, but I have to wonder, how many will be rage quitting because they hit a speed bump on one planet or another, and can't progress. It would be hilarious to find out.

Back before level sync, I used to skip side missions. In each chapter, I would choose the higher level orange/red planet for funsies (I discovered I had to stack more accuracy to be able to damage those high leveled mobs). Later, I'd go back to the lower-level planet and speedrun it. It was a fun way to play the game.

After 4.0 EZ mode + level sync, I focused more on endgame. I would do bug hunt and imp hunt groups to speed level my way out of the mind-numbing gameplay of the main story.

Ultimately, I think the problem is that the devs balanced the original planets in 4.0 for EZ mode only. And as evidenced by the difficulty the devs have had in balancing +5 level and gearing with legacy raids vs new raids, they cannot simply give +X% more HP/DR/DPS to mobs & bosses. Therefore, I believe the game should have been balanced for "difficult" game play, then add something like jesus droid/ 30 stack VE/ etc for the folks that want EZ mode. Because, in the end, you don't really have to balance EZ mode.

PS -

I'm surprised no one has yet brought up the old "unsummon your companion" or "take off your gear" argument. As if that were a viable way to play any video game.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Tofu_Shark;9935661]We don't know that for sure. Do you even have personal anecdotes of people quitting the game because SoV or any other content was too difficult? Have you seen people post to threaten to quit (which statistically are the ones least likely to quit). I'm sure BioWare has accurate numbers for this.

You just answered your own question. There is no way to know how many will quit as you so politely stated you would not believe the ones that say they would quit in the forums. The ones that would most likely quit would be the ones that wouldn't say much in the forums but quit and there could be quite a few as not everyone posts or even pays attention to the forums.

Edited by casirabit

I have suggested ( many times ) that there be made available the ability to choose a greater ( more flexible) level of difficulty in more areas of the game.

If it is instanced ... it's possible !!

** story mode (just as the title indicates minimal level of difficulty)

** veteran (more like the current SoV level recommended for experienced players looking for more of a challange)

** master (increased difficulty level )

** élite ( totally nuts !! But no doubt "fun" for some players)

These levels could be made available for either group or solo players !!

IN any case IMO we'll never see that much of a change again. KotFE / ET repeatable areas with different levels of difficulty was a great idea. But I also rather suspect that so many people had nothing but contempt for part of the game we'll never see the amount of time and effort required to create that sort of an expansion ever put into the game ever again !

Agreed, this way people can choose which they want to do and maybe then and only then would others stop putting people down and calling names because they don't want to do things the way someone else wants to. Sometimes, I just wish for once people would not put others down because they don't like the same things or play the same way.

This would be a good idea of having varying instances where you can choose.

Edited by casirabit