Recently all updates happen incorrectly and require substantial repair

Estelindis

For the past few updates, whether in the main game or the PTS, the update never installs smoothly. There's always some error(s) to be repaired. And the repair takes hours. For instance, the current PTS repair is downloading assets to a folder called assets_swtor_test_main_0to373 that is currently 29.3gb in size.

Has anyone else been experiencing this?

This is with the non-Steam, non-bitraider version of the client.

Edited by Estelindis

the SSN patcher is very sensitive to memory issues hence checking overclocks first

also why in https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/GUIDE-Launcher-Troubleshooting/td-p/4805820

they list the below for non streaming

“An error occurred updating. Repair” (Non-Streaming Only)

Please click the “Repair” link. Repair can take upwards of 20 minutes to complete.

If Repair does not work and you consistently receive “corrupt source” or “unknown file” errors in your Launcher logs (these can be found in the “\logs” directory in your install directory), please try the following, in order:

Run chkdsk

Run Memtest86+

Disable overclocking of CPU and/or memory

Confirm the CAS Latency setting of your memory in BIOS is correct

Confirm the voltage setting of your memory in BIOS is correct

Update your Ethernet drivers

Update your virus scanning software

The repair doesn't work, but I don't receive “corrupt source” or “unknown file” errors. What happens is that it eventually stops repairing mid-repair. (This also happens during the initial patch.) There just comes a point where the launcher isn't writing to disk anymore and the pause button is disabled. Even if I've left it running overnight, it stays in that state. When I finally force-close the launcher and run it again, it requires (another) repair, identifying progressively more files in need of repair.

I am trying a few different approaches now. Have a copy of SWTOR on an external drive; same result. Now trying it connected to a different PC altogether (still Windows 10 though).

After I have finished that, if it's still an issue, I will investigate the list of suggestions you very helpfully posted. Thank you.

Edited by Estelindis

Okay, a quick update. The copy of SWTOR on my external harddrive repaired its version of the PTS successfully when connected to a completely different computer. So I guess that'll be a workaround to keep things going. But meanwhile I can investigate those other suggestions. Thanks again.

Further update. Ran MemTest, uncovered RAM issues. So clearly it was on my end. Thanks for the help, as I doubt I would've discovered this otherwise.

Before buying new RAM, I'd suggest trying to reseat the RAM cards firmly. I had it happen to me once where one of them was a bit loose and caused issues.

I had that problem three months back and had to completely remove all the game inlcuding the hidden folders of swtor and the registry key then reinstall the game after redownloading swtor launcher from my account section.

It was the only way i was able to fix that problem.