Super Serious Night organizing

Ramalina

It has sort of been a while. Some people seem to be back from GSF hiatuses so, I'm trying to see if we can scrape together enough people to have a Super Serious night.

If interested, list day of week and time that tends to work for you, and what server(s) you have characters on that would like to participate.

My thinking on timing is maybe second to last or last week of August. If interest is significant, I may extend it to be something like a once a month series, perhaps rotating time and server to make it easier for people with constrained schedules, different time zones, or lack of geared GSF alts on every server.

I'm going to coordinate mostly on the GSF Discord, but if you don't use that, or have never heard of it, feel free to respond here.

If you feel that Ace vs Ace premades is way out of your league, but still sort of wish you could attend don't be scared away by the title. The format would be custom matches so that we can guarantee actually facing the teams we're trying to play, so it should be possible to shuffle people around for balance.

Example:

Ramalina Fridays and Saturdays 8 pm to 1 am Eastern DST GSF alts on all servers.

Schedule

Based on feedback so far.

Date: Saturday Aug 21

Time 20:30 UTC. That's 3:30 pm Eastern Daylight savings, 12:30 PDT, and 9:30 to 10:30 pm for most EU players.

Server: Star Forge

Edited by Ramalina

This should be super easy to organize, because we all know that the premade aces have been hard thirsting for real competition.

I happen to know for a fact that drako is at least interested in this so your sarcasm is accidentally correct. Please stop complaining about an event entirely focused on keeping good players somewhat isolated.

I happen to know for a fact that drako is at least interested in this so your sarcasm is accidentally correct. Please stop complaining about an event entirely focused on keeping good players somewhat isolated.

First of all, interest in a super special elite night in no way precludes interests in curbstomps, so no, I'll continue with any comment I feel accurate and valid. You're free to not respond.

Second, if there really is a ton of interest among the aces to test steel v steel, we'll see this idea take off and it'll be great. But if, as I suspect, most of these premades would rather just have easy wins than actual games, we won't. In fact, the current queue is a good predictor of this, because in fact all these curbstomp premades could have just queued solo and run the risk of facing each other.

I hope this does take off, because keeping good players interested is of value to the community. But only if the activities that keep good players interested doesn't harm the community. Curbstomp premades are terrible for GSF, so this is a chance for them all to walk the walk.

This is basically a sign up thread, if you want to whine about how you're not good enough to survive for more than ten seconds under Verain's guns because you haven't figured out that there are 3 spawn points in TDMs, there are other threads for that. If you want to request another tutorial night like the one Stradlin organized so you can get better at surviving even if you make a poor choice of spawn point, go ahead and make a thread for that. If you want to organize a premade of your own to fly on a regular basis in the matchmaker on your home server, by all means make a thread for that, or ask around in the GSF discord or in /GSF while in game.

If you want to express interest in participating in a Super Serious night event, write what times you typically play, and on which server, in this thread, or in the Events channel on the GSF Discord.

Edited by Ramalina

Luc Nodaro. I'm reasonably flexible. There are certain nights I don't play, but I would suspect Thursday / Friday / Saturday would be best for most, and would be best for me too. I'll share this with my guild. I'm UK based so I can't play in US evenings. Edited by Ttoilleekul

Hey Ramalina, thanks for getting this going, sadly it seems the last 2 weeks of august are pretty rough schedule wise for my team and I. However Saturday the 21st, miraculously seems to be the magic date where all 5 of us can get on.

If that date works for you and some others great, if not some of us will try to make it. I wanted to get this answer to you as fast as possible, if you want to push it to a different weekend in September I can definitely get back to you for that too.

What kind of format are you thinking for this?

4v4's?

8v8's?

My team only has one request we want to stick together, however we are completely willing to fight odd numbers to make that happen, so if you want to 4v6 for us or 8v10 or what not, we're totally in!

Oh and if possible once you have a date, do you think you could keep a running list of everyone coming? Once you've chosen the date I can let you know which of us can make it. If you do choose the 21st though, it will be myself, Verain, Skell, Audson and Scrab.

Thanks again!

@Drakko

Format wise I was hoping to have something sort of like what we had during playtest matches for 5.5. Scrape together as many skilled pilots I can, and then balance teams as much as possible to make for really tight, and most importantly fun matches. I'm also hoping to entice some people who normally solo queue but are good pilots, to give a more organized event a try and if possible even to get some people who are merely average, or even fairly new but have an interest in seeing what really high skill matches can look like and getting them to give it a try.

I'll see what I can do to allow your team to fly together, assuming we can get enough people to somewhat balance things out.

I'll set the date for the 21st of August, for now, and see what times people are available. Can't remember, are some of your team Pacific time zone?

Ideally I'd like to do a bit of a series of organized events. Something like a Serious and a New Pilots' / skill building event each month, possibly with the tutorial one being one or two weeks before the Serious. Maybe also a silly theme event too, though I think my inclination to organize tops out at two events per month, so I'm not sure when I'd fit in things like Stock Night, the Whiskey Build Classic, or Beacon Bomber TDM.

As you're aware, GSF is a team game, and the play experience really benefits from some organization and coordination. I think it'd be nice to get some more of that back than we've seen lately, across the skill spectrum from silly and unserious to all out maximum skill. Plus my memory of playtesting suggests that match balance is a lot better when we do it ourselves than when we let the groupfinder screw it up for us.

So we actually have quite the spread of timezones now that Scrab is playing with us, I'm east coast, most of the guys are west coast and scrab is on EU time.

So what I used to do is if you shoot for something like 4pm East coast, that's 1pm for west coast and 10pm for EU.

Something like that is probably your best bet imo, but it being a Saturday if you want to go later, I'm sure Scrab would be willing to take a nap and show up really late. :)

• 2 weeks later...