Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Solo/group but non endgame player in panic mode

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Solo/group but non endgame player in panic mode

mirellha
01.14.2022 , 08:04 PM | #1
I probably should not read the forums, but as i went on PTS, i had to read and sometimes answers. The result is as of today, that i am in panic mode. I played SWTOR for 9 years, and own 6 accounts, and i never felt so lost toward the game and me.

This game means a lot to me, first as a game, story, but also in my realiy, it helps me enduring pain and health problems. The reason i dont group a lot (beside veteran FP and some actually easy ops, is that i have to stop in emergency at any time to put myself under breather, or in the worst case to go lay down for hours to get my breath and heart good again. Its not that i dont like the community. Its that i deal with what i can. And gran'ma near 70 does not help either to avoid panic mode.

So with a companion actually, i am able to solo some vet mods, with no rush and no spacebars :P
But today while reading the forums, i did read something that really stressed me, so if you can may be explain me better that would be very kind of you.

- 7.0 remove alts ? (i love having 1 character of each class and live their stories mixed with a bit of my character story). I do conquests on each, crafting, i outfit them of course, and i learn the how to do for the time i will be in group. : so no more alts for me ?

- Flashpoints limited by level or gear ? I can understand the reasoning, but will i be able to still go solo in some vet mode ? (not using GF of course) and as for the GF it will be gated by the armor ?

- Conquest ? i am in my own little guild, rank 46, and i love doing the conquest (until now i never attempted any invasion but since one month i have opened almost all the wings of my guild ship, so i was thinking may be for the fun to try at least one time. But i read or understood wrongly, that only 1 character can now do the conquest ?

- Now i was wondering, i am sub, so when 7.0 will launch i will be proposed to choose a second combat if this is for a higher character or i can level again a new one. What if i only want the story and want to keep my unique combat ?

Personally i would prefer because one of the basic things i tested on the PTS, does not work, and i dont want to spend 3 hours + for nothing and not be able to play correctly.
The Loadout will be for everyone or only those with the new combat ?
for me, it never worked. The skills does not keep any of MY keybindings and go back to default. (And even without loadout, all my keybindins are systematicall reverted to default.) (posted in PTS forums with movie)

Sorry for the long post. And thank you if you can answer to even one things

Khaleijo
01.14.2022 , 09:13 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by mirellha View Post
I probably should not read the forums, but as i went on PTS, i had to read and sometimes answers. The result is as of today, that i am in panic mode. I played SWTOR for 9 years, and own 6 accounts, and i never felt so lost toward the game and me.

This game means a lot to me, first as a game, story, but also in my realiy, it helps me enduring pain and health problems. The reason i dont group a lot (beside veteran FP and some actually easy ops, is that i have to stop in emergency at any time to put myself under breather, or in the worst case to go lay down for hours to get my breath and heart good again. Its not that i dont like the community. Its that i deal with what i can. And gran'ma near 70 does not help either to avoid panic mode.

So with a companion actually, i am able to solo some vet mods, with no rush and no spacebars :P
But today while reading the forums, i did read something that really stressed me, so if you can may be explain me better that would be very kind of you.

- 7.0 remove alts ? (i love having 1 character of each class and live their stories mixed with a bit of my character story). I do conquests on each, crafting, i outfit them of course, and i learn the how to do for the time i will be in group. : so no more alts for me ?

- Flashpoints limited by level or gear ? I can understand the reasoning, but will i be able to still go solo in some vet mode ? (not using GF of course) and as for the GF it will be gated by the armor ?

- Conquest ? i am in my own little guild, rank 46, and i love doing the conquest (until now i never attempted any invasion but since one month i have opened almost all the wings of my guild ship, so i was thinking may be for the fun to try at least one time. But i read or understood wrongly, that only 1 character can now do the conquest ?

- Now i was wondering, i am sub, so when 7.0 will launch i will be proposed to choose a second combat if this is for a higher character or i can level again a new one. What if i only want the story and want to keep my unique combat ?

Personally i would prefer because one of the basic things i tested on the PTS, does not work, and i dont want to spend 3 hours + for nothing and not be able to play correctly.
for me, it never worked. The skills does not keep any of MY keybindings and go back to default. (And even without loadout, all my keybindins are systematicall reverted to default.) (posted in PTS forums with movie)

Sorry for the long post. And thank you if you can answer to even one things
Woah, slow down the horses no need to panic.

7.0 won't get rid of alts, you have them, you can still play and have fun with them as you like. What's coming is combat styles. That sort of works like merging together into one character where currently you'd need two.
Like now, you have an assassin to tank and mdps and another character that is sorc to heal and rdps. If you want with 7.0 you can give the assassin sorc as second combat style and would be able to switch between 6 skills sets/sub specs instead of three. There are some limitations to switching similar to how currently it isn't possible to change spec while being in a queue for PVP. It won't be possible to change within a FP or operation. If you don't want that, you can just keep playing your current assassin character as assassin and the sorc character. as a sorc. It's your choice to use a second combat style on your higher level characters or not. Non subcribers only get access to one combat style anyway.
So new player probably will have less alts because of that but it is a choice.
What might interest you, you can add the skill set of the opposite alignment too, like initially being assassin then adding shadow as second combat style because secretly being a light side heretic
A new character chooses the first combat style at creation just like you currently choose the class on live, the difference will be that the story will be independent of the chosen style. The choice for second style opens up in or after chapter 3 from the former class/now origin story
What currently is called class story will then be origin story and you can play it with another 'class' so to speak.
Inquisitor origin story but the 'class'/combat style can be any of the force users(given you have the necessary light/dark-side achievements if not you are restricted to your faction. I played the warrior origin story as a assassin combat style on PTS, once I got over the lack of hearing Harkun call me slave at every occasion it was quite fun the voice and story is still from the warrior, the character just has the gameplay abilities of an assassin.

The changes for FPs are only for GF as far as I know, so walking to the entrance and start it manually should still be possible, I didn't try it though. Whether you are going to be able to do Veteran on your own though I can't tell, 7.0 will bring new scaling of the content and new gear, you might have to work up to succeeding there on your own again.
The GF will not have all FP available but only a certain number each day, I suspect it is to avoid what happened with HS in the 6.0 cycle, that people ticking only MM HS pulled those who wanted to do random MM FP into HS constantly. On PTS the side effect for Veteran was that there often was no FP available for lower level players since like currently on live the VET FPs are level locked to not spoil the story nor throw too low level characters into the harder FPs they lack the skills for. If all of the FPs available for that day were too high level the GF would show nothing. Not sure if that really is intended though or rather unfinished or just buggy on PTS

Conquest will change so that instead of 50k points the personal goal is 100k points. That's more but when I was on PTS I still got about 400k points without really trying, so that won't be that big an issue. If you got a lot of character through conquest on live though, you might have to plan on which character to get your points better with 7.0 or you just play as before and take what you get. The guild target doesn't change as far as I know, so going for the small yield should be the same only instead of 8 (or ten? not sure if its 400.000 or 500.000 points right now ) characters you'd need to reach the personal goal on 4 (5?) . That will have you end up with less rewards than now, but you are still able to get them in general.

The new gearing system though has 4 paths with each their own currency, conquest, FPs, operations and PvP. The amount of currencies that can be earned per week will be limited, per legacy as far as I've seen, not per character.
There are vendors then who sell gear against the currencies and also upgrades of gear that comes from doing weekly quests of said content niche. Set bonus is taken from the armour and moved to implants, not sure if that is something you would prefer or not, at least in theory it would allow to mix and match bonuses that would require two different sets on live now

A change that might affect you is that repeatable but unfinished daily and weekly quest will be automatically abandoned with the daily/weekly reset, there is no taking over a 3/5 Veteran FPs into the next week. But some of the weekly quest like PVP demand less wins for example to soften that change. Quests that are finished but not brought back to a terminal or quest giver are counted as completed though and you'll still get the rewards as if you'd gone back to the quest giver/terminal yourself.

The issue with loadout is just that it doesn't work properly yet and hopefully does when 7.0 comes on live.

Hope that helped you further and calmed some of your fears.

juliushorst
01.14.2022 , 09:56 PM | #3
Playing content you (and I) enjoy will be less fun and less rewarding than it is now but it will be avaliable.
6.0 - "Play the way you want."
7.0 - "You will own nothing and you will be unhappy."

ThanderSnB
01.15.2022 , 02:02 AM | #4
You keep all your alts. Some people are just saying with a second combat style, they won't need two alts. As far as combat is concerned, they can have one character do the same as two. Two characters will obviously each have their own stories, story choices, and romance. There's still a benefit to having more characters to see the story from different angles.

I think it's too early to tell if they will be soloable or not. Level sync content will be harder for two reasons. First, you will not have the highest rating on your gear, so your critical, alacrity, and accuracy will be much lower percentages. Second, the irating adjustment is removed which before gave 30% more Mastery and Endurance in levelsync, so you'll have less health and damage just like if you were leveling a new character. They are limited by level as always. They are balanced for 318 gear, the baseline for 7.0, but remember the loss of irating adjustment means everyone will feel weaker. The level 80 flashpoint will not cap stats, but there's only going to be one of those at launch and maybe 2 more added in patches if we're lucky. The other 27 will be in levelsync.

You can get conquest points on all your alts. The rewards (credits, crafting materials, etc) are reduced after a certain number of characters. I haven't tested PTS myself, but I first heard 1 character only, then 3, and then 4, so I don't know what it is. You can always get conquest points though. Also, there's enough points available to a single character that you don't even need to do conquest on alts to reach the Large Yield target solo (5,000,000 conquest points).

You get the option to choose a second combat style, but you don't have to add one. You can choose to stick with your first combat style as long as you want. This choice is made per character, so you can have some alts that add a second one and others that don't. Loadouts are available without picking a second combat style, but as you said, they are buggy for a lot of people, hopefully better at launch.

mirellha
01.15.2022 , 01:18 PM | #5
OMG, thank you so much for all the time you took to answer me !

And more, i understand way better what is coming and as one of you said, yes i can calm down and go on playing the game i love.

THank you sooo much!!!